PDA

View Full Version : Need some Porsche Info

sxtasy
03-27-2004, 11:11 PM
My dad has his heart set on a Porsche. He doesnt know to much about cars, and I am not very familiar with Porsche's either. A certain one has caught his eye http://www.zrauto.ca/modules/mod_carDetails.cfm?numCarDetailID=141 . What are some specs on this car? Is this a good buy? Is this a collectors car, or would it depreciate in value? He has been looking at a Corvette, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z4. How does this car compare? Thanks for the info

hjr
03-27-2004, 11:19 PM
the slant nose cabrio turbo is a rare rare car. It definetely has collector value especially looking at the low km's.

as for specs the car would have the aircooled 3.3L 12v k27 turbocharged flat 6 engine putting out around 280 in US trim.

i dont know much about the price though. a regular 911 T from that year may go for 50 large but isnt as rare.

sxtasy
03-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Aircooled and 8 valves in a six cylinder? Is this a good engine?

hjr
03-27-2004, 11:31 PM
haha, ouch. ya, i wasnt thinking right. its 2 per cyl.

anyways i was gonna warn you about there being a lot of fakes out there and i re read the description of this car, guess what...

Finished in classic and desired Guards Red with beautifully kept black leather interior and matching convertible top. This awesome motorcar comes well equipped with factory AC, as well as upgraded Recaro seats, slant nose conversion, and much, much more! This is an exquisite example of one of Porsche's most desired models with as much as $20,000 in upgrades! For the Porsche enthusiast who truly wants one of a kind motorcar, you will not be disappointed in this incredible example!

so basically your paying more than top dollar for less than a real porsche. aviod this car. no collector value at all

Redlyne_mr2
03-27-2004, 11:34 PM
The slantnose are an interesting breed. Some feel they arent worth as much as a conventional 930 while others prefer the look. Personally i really like them but I do know that the slatnose fetch less at Barret jackson and usually at a dealer as well. That one ZR has has incredible low mileage. Of course with age comes oil leaks and those 930 air cooled engines have quite number of places where leaks can occur. Look for service records especially recent service because in the end its the recent service that matters. Price seems a little high but once again the low mileage is a huge selling point. Since its an 88 it also has the updated transmission known as a 915. They are an amazing car never the less. Hehe expect the rag top to leak like crazy though. Best of luck to your dad. BTW no point in comparing the turbo 930 to the z4, vette or boxter. The 911 wins hands down IMO

hjr
03-27-2004, 11:51 PM
the 930 porsche turbo is an amazing car. other than a Z06 vette the porsche should be faster than all 3 cars you listed. I would personally look for a low km regular turbo rather than slant nose, but that is preference. there will be age related problems. my fathers car has a leaking cam seal and he had to replace the sunroof seals, but it is a very cool car.

sxtasy
03-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah the Porsche definately does have the most character out of those cars. Are these cars very expensive to maintain? And are they pretty reliable, or is it expected that they will need work every so often?

Redlyne_mr2
03-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Yeah the Porsche definately does have the most character out of those cars. Are these cars very expensive to maintain? And are they pretty reliable, or is it expected that they will need work every so often?
It depends on alot of factors. We'll have to wait for alpine autowerks to post in this thread because he sees these cars on a weekly basis im sure. The engine has a timing chain not a belt like the watercooled porsches so that eliminates an expensive service. Ive heard from 930 owners that they are cheaper to maintain than 944s because they are so reliable. Like I said the oil seals would be the areas that need freshening up but who knows. The ad says 8500 in recent service so Im sure any leaks have been addressed. The turbo should still have another 120K kms left on it, there isnt much to these cars which makes them so fun to drive...I hope your dad isnt looking for a refined ride because the 930 turbo isnt one of them.

C4S
03-28-2004, 02:04 AM
It is nice .. and rare .. but .. somehow .. I am not a Slantnose fan (doesn't look like a REAL 911 ).. and for $70K .. I will get a nice 993 or 993 cab (if he wants cab, and few 993 in ZR as well)

Or get a late model Boxster, ( if he is new into Porsche, can stay away with "arm and legs" over-head cost ... )

Again .. if your dad likes Porsche, and do not have a machanic buddy .. then should stay away with some older car.

Porsche is the MOST realiable truth sports car in the planet, however, it still cost a fortune !

964, 993, and especially 996 .. are super realiable ! (compare to Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus .. etc .. )

Late 964 models are the best buy for the buck, a 89-91 Carrera, is around $40K ( a good one ) and 92-94 964 are under $50K, and if you can find a 94 C4S, that is the best for the buck ! (but only ~ 30 in Canada, and cost a lot ! )

At last .. DON"T BUY A CHEAP PORSCHE ! EVERY CHEAP PORSCHE has a STORY ! :D

good luck ! :D :D