PDA

View Full Version : Atco 3 year promo

imranm
11-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Has anyone seen the current ATCO Energy Promo?

$3 GJ Nat Gas
0.03 KWH Electricity

The Electricity Rate seems hot but the Nat Gas Rate is a bit high.

https://www.atco.com/en-ca/energy.html

My house uses about 1200KWH per month & Nat Gas is about 12 GJ per month. Based on last years floating rate + transaction fees (around ~$1/GJ) (yes historical NG rates give us no picture of the future) it looks like I will save about $500/yr.

Thoughts?

roopi
11-06-2018, 01:42 PM
I'm assuming you read the thread on RFD? From the numbers people are discussing there it doesn't seem like a good deal since you are paying a higher rate for gas.

imranm
11-06-2018, 02:47 PM
I'm assuming you read the thread on RFD? From the numbers people are discussing there it doesn't seem like a good deal since you are paying a higher rate for gas.

Yes I took a read. I just use so much more electricity than gas. Plus with gas around $1 + the $1 fee you are paying about $1 more per GJ. So I guess it really depends on the mix of energy you use.

Xtrema
11-06-2018, 03:19 PM

I think fixed natural gas is a bad deal regardless who you go with.

But Enmax's fixed rate is $3.8 so ATCO is still cheaper.

So if you like paying fixed cost, ATCO deal is still better than ENMAX's EasyMax. And if you drive an EV, it's a slam dunk at 3c/kwh. At 1000kwh/month, electricity will be $30 less per month. But $1/GJ more at 10GJ per month, it's $10 more. So net saving for me would be around $240 per year if all costs stay the same.

The question is will NG prices goes up once the LNG Canada terminal and infrastructure is all built out?

ExtraSlow
11-06-2018, 03:27 PM
The question is will NG prices goes up once the LNG Canada terminal and infrastructure is all built out? It absolutely will, but that's YEARS away.

Tik-Tok
11-06-2018, 04:12 PM
I was hoping for another "Jan/Feb Free Energy" promo. Fuck was that awesome last year. Garage at 23* for the coldest 2 months in recent history. 35gj of gas each month for free, not to mention the electricity too, lol.

kenny
11-06-2018, 04:39 PM
The question is will NG prices goes up once the LNG Canada terminal and infrastructure is all built out?

Yep, it will... well after this 3 year promo is over. :P

Wrath
11-23-2018, 02:12 PM
Just signed up for it (My direct energy contract was up) we use lots of electricity in this house and not much gas (I like it cold) - FYI direct energy Cancellations couldn't match it closest they could get was 3.99 for electricity for 1 year

redline
12-10-2018, 05:33 PM
I was just chatting with ATCO and i signed up last year for the free two months and i paid an average of 2.99 / gj on atco... it looks like Enmax average was in the mid 2 range. and they are predicting a cold winter in the east so that will drive price up higher... not crazy high but looking at the consumption of my house the atco 3 yr deal is good for me...

Xtrema
12-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Reviewed my bill recently, basically I use $30 in gas but there is $80 of fee and carbon tax. For electricity it's about $30 + $50 of fees. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think energy prices is what I worry about.

Tik-Tok
12-10-2018, 05:57 PM
I did the math the other day, I use was more KW than GJ. If this coming year is the same as the past 11 months, I'll spend an extra $50 on Nat.Gas, but save $450 on Electricity, so net savings will be $400 give or take per year.

This is excluding fee's, taxes, etc., just KWh and GJ used.

The Cosworth
12-10-2018, 06:11 PM
I don't know how but my variable gas on enmax is between $0.5 and $1.29 with a $1 transaction fee. So I am still paying $1.50 - $2.00 for gas a GJ (assuming the $3 includes the transaction fee).

So $3.00 gas is brutal for me. Even though I only used 11 GJ this month come winter I will be 30GJ and variable electricity is only $0.3 higher, so saves like $15.00. Math doesn't work in my favor based on what I've done.

https://i.imgur.com/h92ULs3.png

O&G
12-11-2018, 04:43 AM
I was just chatting with ATCO and i signed up last year for the free two months and i paid an average of 2.99 / gj on atco... it looks like Enmax average was in the mid 2 range. and they are predicting a cold winter in the east so that will drive price up higher... not crazy high but looking at the consumption of my house the atco 3 yr deal is good for me...

Good old msrketing. Dsily seco is sitting a rad over 1 gj right now and q1 curbe is 1.30 gj right now. Cold weather be damned.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Good old msrketing. Dsily seco is sitting a rad over 1 gj right now and q1 curbe is 1.30 gj right now. Cold weather be damned.

Great and informative post!

R-Audi
12-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Great and informative post!

Reads like a Gestalt post.

I made the switch... I use more Electricity and with the $50 credit they offered before Dec and lower fee I should be saving $400-500 a year.

mikestypes
12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Made the switch. I have similar looking numbers to those above, $50 more per year for gas compared to 2018 on variable and save $200 per year on electricity (was on $0.0589/kwh fixed).

The Cosworth
12-12-2018, 01:28 PM
I don't know how but my variable gas on enmax is between $0.5 and $1.29 with a $1 transaction fee. So I am still paying $1.50 - $2.00 for gas a GJ (assuming the $3 includes the transaction fee).

So $3.00 gas is brutal for me. Even though I only used 11 GJ this month come winter I will be 30GJ and variable electricity is only $0.3 higher, so saves like $15.00. Math doesn't work in my favor based on what I've done.

https://i.imgur.com/h92ULs3.png

So you guys made me look again. I made a pretty crude spreadsheet (happy to share it) that you put in your gas costs, electric costs, fees, etc. Was surprised it came out to save me about $175 a year using my bills back to Sept 2016. Saves me about $20 a month in the summer and costs me about $10 a month in the winter.

I'm going to look into the fine print to make sure I'm not missing anything. But it does seem that it is a good deal.

Edit:

Ok so a couple things I missed but you guys might want to know. The $3 gas includes the admin fee, which with Easymax is $0.99. So my 18 month average for gas is $1.9 BUT you have to add $0.99. So really the gas I am paying is like $2.80 right now. There is a $150 cancellation fee with ATCO and it goes down $50 a year. Last, you have to give Enmax (in my case) 30 days notice to change but when you sign up you can specify the start date as 30 days from now.

My average gas WITH the .99 is $2.8597 so it costs me $0.15 a GJ more and I use about 110GJ a year... so $17 a year more for gas. My electricity is average $0.0554, so save $0.0254. And I use 8,000kwh a year usually. So save $200 on that. Plus the transaction fee is $1.00 cheaper on both Gas and Power. So $24. So really........ charge me more for gas, save it on the admin fee. Cheaper electricity.

goldfish168
12-16-2018, 06:10 PM
I just did a thorough comparison of my 2017 and 2018 bills with Enmax variable electricity and gas including the grandfathered $100/yr credit and lower $.47/GJ transaction fee.
Would have saved $31.69 in 2017 but $3.79 more in 2018 vs the Atco $.03/kW, $3/GJ.

I'm sticking with Enmax as long as they continue my grandfathered Easymax credit and lower transaction fee. That saves me about $175/yr indefinitely whereas the fixed Atco rates end in 3 years. Once the 3 year contract is up, the fixed rates may not be as good and then I'd be going back to variable without the yearly credit and lower transaction fee.

For anyone else that's isn't getting these grandfathered Easymax perks, it's probably worth the switch.

lasimmon
12-23-2018, 05:08 PM
So as someone with no prior rates or agreements with enmax... is this a good deal? I see so much talk of yes and no.

dj_rice
12-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Thats one of the reasons I haven't switched. My EasyMax rewards $100 credit. Too bad Enmax isn't matching any promos this year tho

redline
12-24-2018, 10:03 PM
Thats one of the reasons I haven't switched. My EasyMax rewards $100 credit. Too bad Enmax isn't matching any promos this year tho

They did not match last yr either ... which is why I switched to ATCO on the two month free deal. Two years ago when they match the Atco discount I stayed.

eblend
12-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Can anyone share a picture of their bill? Just curious what all the other fees are. I am on the grandfathered Enmax system and want to see if it's a better deal with this or not, from the sounds of it it may not be if you are grandfathered, but it's kind of hard to compare without other fees listed as well, unless those are mostly the same.

EDIT: Just looked over a few of my bills, didn't realize that pretty much everything is variable, so the question is, aside from the energy charged and the Administration charge, are the other numbers the same for both providers?

Tik-Tok
12-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Can anyone share a picture of their bill? Just curious what all the other fees are. I am on the grandfathered Enmax system and want to see if it's a better deal with this or not, from the sounds of it it may not be if you are grandfathered, but it's kind of hard to compare without other fees listed as well, unless those are mostly the same.

EDIT: Just looked over a few of my bills, didn't realize that pretty much everything is variable, so the question is, aside from the energy charged and the Administration charge, are the other numbers the same for both providers?

This is my last one from Atco Energy

eblend
12-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks Tik-Tok, looks like it's the same charges for both providers, minus the transaction fee on gas which is included in the promo price.

I did a spreadsheet for all the bills for 2018, and I am on the grandfathered plan, and it appears I would save money moving to ATCO.

For electricity I just added Energy Charge and Administration charge, as these are variable with Enmax, and for the Atco side I simply multiplied usage x 0.03 and added the 5.99 admin fee
For gas, I added together the Energy Charge, Administration Charge, and the Transaction charge (0.47c per GJ grandfathered) with Enmax, with Atco it's just $3.00 x Usage as the Transaction fee is included already in the promo.

There were a few months where Enmax made adjustments that were too complex to calculate, so I left those two months out, but overall, it appears I spend a ton more on electricity than on Gas, so I think it would make sense for me to switch. Did I miss something?

ricosuave
01-04-2019, 03:18 PM
any of you guys willing to share those spreadsheets?

eblend
01-06-2019, 01:55 PM
any of you guys willing to share those spreadsheets?

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnMd58ytwyvqgZJWi1c4p8TNxLo49g

Column B: Enter Enmax Electricity cost. This is comprised of the sum of everything above Delivery Charges - ENMAX. Normally these charges are Energy Charge, Administration Charge and for some, a Transaction Fee.

Column C: Enter Enmax Gas Cost. This is comprised of the sum of everything above Delivery Charges - ATCO Gas. Normally these charges are Energy Charge, Administration Charge and for some, a Transaction Fee.

Column D: Your ENMAX EasyMax Credit, entered as a negative value

Column E & F: Auto generated. Made up of $5.99 service charge + the calculation of actual energy use.

Column G: Electricity usage. Just enter the amount of kWh used for that billing cycle

Column H: Gas usage. Just enter GJ of gas used for that billing cycle.

This spreadsheet is designed for the current 3c/kWh and $3/GJ promo with all the formulas setup specifically for it. Just go to your Enmax bills and enter all the numbers and see.

cherpintow
01-06-2019, 08:39 PM
For those with Enmax, you can call up and reference this promo and they will give you a $75 - $150 credit immediately over the phone. Myself and a few friends have done this all with success.

eblend
01-06-2019, 08:48 PM
For those with Enmax, you can call up and reference this promo and they will give you a $75 - $150 credit immediately over the phone. Myself and a few friends have done this all with success.

I did this last year or a few years ago, I got tired of doing this crap with cell phone companies and every other company, used to do it out of necessity to save $$, now it's just about the principle for me, so instead of calling in and asking for some discounts every few years I just look for what's easy and saves me money in the long run with consistent pricing.

Disoblige
01-06-2019, 11:03 PM
Bleh. I don't think there are any deals if you just need electricity though. ATCO doesn't honor the 3c/kWh unless you have gas too.

ricosuave
01-08-2019, 10:37 PM
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnMd58ytwyvqgZJWi1c4p8TNxLo49g

Column B: Enter Enmax Electricity cost. This is comprised of the sum of everything above Delivery Charges - ENMAX. Normally these charges are Energy Charge, Administration Charge and for some, a Transaction Fee.

Column C: Enter Enmax Gas Cost. This is comprised of the sum of everything above Delivery Charges - ATCO Gas. Normally these charges are Energy Charge, Administration Charge and for some, a Transaction Fee.

Column D: Your ENMAX EasyMax Credit, entered as a negative value

Column E & F: Auto generated. Made up of $5.99 service charge + the calculation of actual energy use.

Column G: Electricity usage. Just enter the amount of kWh used for that billing cycle

Column H: Gas usage. Just enter GJ of gas used for that billing cycle.

This spreadsheet is designed for the current 3c/kWh and $3/GJ promo with all the formulas setup specifically for it. Just go to your Enmax bills and enter all the numbers and see.

thanks for this!

it looks like I'll be saving a ton, so I made the switch!

ricosuave
01-08-2019, 10:42 PM
oops double post

GQBalla
01-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't see the .03 a kwh?

Tik-Tok
01-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Promo ended on the 30th.

spike98
01-09-2019, 01:58 PM
Looks like promo expired yesterday....

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-10-2019, 08:10 AM

Or it expired.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2019, 01:19 PM
With such cheap electricity, now I'm wondering if I should be heating my house electrically for the next 3 years. Maybe an electric water tank too, lol.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2019, 03:22 PM
With such cheap electricity, now I'm wondering if I should be heating my house electrically for the next 3 years. Maybe an electric water tank too, lol.

Just use incandescent light bulbs!

sabad66
03-04-2019, 06:22 PM
just got this in my email. Winning so far? :D

The average spot price for natural gas was $3.75/GJ in February, and even shot up to $4.85/GJ on March 1. The market price for electricity averaged over 10˘/kWh during the month. You paid just $3/GJ and 3˘/kWh!

February 2019 Avg. Variable Price Your Price You Saved
Electricity 10.61˘/kWh 3˘/kWh 7.61˘/kWh
Natural Gas $3.75/GJ $3/GJ 75˘/GJ

Tik-Tok
03-04-2019, 06:31 PM
just got this in my email. Winning so far? :D

Those "avg. variable" numbers are horseshit.

sabad66
03-05-2019, 04:33 PM
Those "avg. variable" numbers are horseshit.

are they really? are you on variable and did you get billed for feb usage yet?

Tik-Tok
03-05-2019, 04:51 PM
are they really? are you on variable and did you get billed for feb usage yet?

I got the same email and was doubtful right away (I'm also on the 3/3/3 deal), if you look at both Enmax and Atco's gas rates, it never even peaked that high. Natural gas rates were about 1.5 to 2 $/GJ, and then tack on the standard $1+or- admin fee, and that only puts it at 2.5 to 3 $/GJ .

I would love a Enmax or Atco variable customer to chime in though with their rate though.

sabad66
03-05-2019, 05:08 PM
I got the same email and was doubtful right away (I'm also on the 3/3/3 deal), if you look at both Enmax and Atco's gas rates, it never even peaked that high. Natural gas rates were about 1.5 to 2 $/GJ, and then tack on the standard $1+or- admin fee, and that only puts it at 2.5 to 3 $/GJ .

I would love a Enmax or Atco variable customer to chime in though with their rate though.

my rental is on variable with enmax, but my latest bill only shows up to jan 21 so waiting til i get an updated one to see if this is true or not.

i don't think atco can straight up lie on these types of emails so there must be at least some reasonable basis to it.

O&G
03-07-2019, 05:02 PM
What did the email say?

Tik-Tok
03-07-2019, 05:05 PM
What did the email say?

O&G
03-07-2019, 05:49 PM
There is nothing wrong with email. Aeco daily gas was above 3 gj and electricity was probably north of 10 cents kw on a 24 hour average. Many days there was hours priced at 50 cents kw or higher.

JDC™
03-14-2019, 03:24 PM
I am on the ENMAX variable rate and paid north of 10 cents per KWH and 3.75 per GJ in February :(

cloud7
03-17-2019, 08:58 PM
I am with ATCO on variable electricity and natural gas. I guess I should have switched to the 3/3/3 deal. Gas is not bad but Jan 28 - Feb 25 electricity was $0.1225/kWh for me. I would have saved over $77 alone at $0.03/kWh. Ouch.

R-Audi
11-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Anyone else get an email that your account was up for renewal? Being the original was a 3 year plan, Im a little surprised... unless they are trying to get out of it by sending out the email early. According to my initial post, I subscribed around 12/18/2018, so I should have another year remaining if it was a 3 year deal...

EDIT:
Just got off the phone with them, apparently there was some sort of IT mixup and some clients who were not up for renewal got an email stating they were... Im good till 2021.

Tik-Tok
11-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Anyone else get an email that your account was up for renewal? Being the original was a 3 year plan, Im a little surprised... unless they are trying to get out of it by sending out the email early. According to my initial post, I subscribed around 12/18/2018, so I should have another year remaining if it was a 3 year deal...

Your Marth is on point

ExtraSlow
11-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Yeah, if you signed a 3 year deal in December 2018, I think you have some time left now, in November 2019.

pheoxs
11-25-2019, 01:12 PM
Electricity sitting at the rate cap the last few months and the cap being removed soon. Loving this deal so much haha

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I regret not getting this deal.

R-Audi
11-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Your Marth is on point

Ha ha, not my finest moment. I panicked when I got the email wondering what the hell was going on and comparing rates.

Tik-Tok
11-25-2019, 05:30 PM
Ha ha, not my finest moment. I panicked when I got the email wondering what the hell was going on and comparing rates.

I'm not one to judge, especially after my propane question a couple months back :rofl:

Definitely enjoying the rates though. another 25 months to go!

Disoblige
05-31-2020, 09:58 PM
Anyone sign up lately for elecricity and gas lately with enmax or atco? Curious what kind of deals/promos to be had these days.

imranm
11-08-2021, 01:14 PM
Check your emails if you got the $3 /0,03 deal. Atco offering a promo plan:

Your Exclusive Offer
ELECTRICITY RATE
5.99˘ / kWh
NATURAL GAS RATE
$3.99 / GJ
3 Year Energy Term
(+$6.99 per service per month)

To claim your exclusive, limited-time offer, simply click the button below and renew your plan through My Account. You'll keep your current Three for All rates until the end of your agreement, then move seamlessly onto this new exclusive plan.

I am taking it!

pheoxs
11-08-2021, 03:05 PM
Considering Atcos posted price is 7.59cents/kWh and 4.39$/GJ that's a pretty good deal. And its slightly better than Enmax too.

ricosuave
01-08-2022, 12:25 PM

Hey guys, looks like this is the same offer above, from November.

Do we still think this is a good deal?

ExtraSlow
01-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Pretty reasonable deal.

pheoxs
01-08-2022, 07:18 PM
That’s better than the current market deals so would say so