PDA

View Full Version : Light therapy - Seasonal Affective Disorder

ExtraSlow
11-06-2018, 06:01 PM
My Dr has suggested that I get myself a light therapy light, and I'm just in the beginning stages of my research. Anyone out there have recommendations for places to look either for good info or to purchase the lights themselves?

I see Amazon has lots at widely varying price points. I just got confused looking there.

Suggestions?

Hallowed_point
11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Didn't do shit for me. My solution was a 2 week trip to Cancun

mr2mike
11-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Increase vitamin D. By A LOT!

Had a long conversation with some people with Canprev I know more than I need regarding vitamin D and vitamin K.
Let me know if you want more info.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10888476/

msommers
11-06-2018, 11:36 PM
I use a light. I enjoy waking up to some light vs. pure blackness more than I think it does anything.

And fuck Mike that CanPrev stuff looks quality.
http://www.canprev.ca/products/product_market/canprev_core_men

mr2mike
11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
CanPrev is pricey but they do testing on their products to keep improving (that could just be the sales pitch) and they are a Canadian company.

They dropped the iU for D3 in their D3&K2 drops from 1000iU to 250iU. I guess K2 is derrived from fermented soy which they found 40% would die off within a few months. So they've gone with a different source which is Rose oil and Canfor oil. The particle is bigger and thus they had to reduce the amount of D3.
They do have liquid gel capsules with this new K2 and the D3 at 1000iU's for sale. I just need to get those for next time.

Also D3 is derrived from lanolin from sheep wool for CanPrev products. Other sources of D3 are fish.
Nordic Naturals is creating D3 from Lichen which is supposed to be great too and Vegan.

D3 is used because it is more bioavailable than D1 or D2. Both Vitamin D3 and K2 should be dissolved in fats to be best absorbed by the body. Hence why most D3 products are dissolved in MCT oil. A solid pill will be less effective or not effective at all.

For Vitamin K info. Go here: https://www.vitamink.com/

LadyLuck
11-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Saw the Happylight at the East Hills Costco by the entrance yesterday, didn't pay attention to the price but if you're looking to try it might as well get it from there and just return it easily if its not your thing.

revelations
11-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Holy fuck - VItamin D is just amazing.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Vitamin D is good, and a good tip, but not a complete solution for me.

Thanks to LadyLuck for being the first person with a response to my question!

LadyLuck
11-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Vitamin D is good, and a good tip, but not a complete solution for me.

Thanks to LadyLuck for being the first person with a response to my question!

Most welcome! Let us know how it works, I may consider picking it up myself.

revelations
11-07-2018, 12:57 PM
What is the consensus on SHORT SESSION use of tanning beds in the winter? I know everyone harps on them for skin cancer but I am thinking of 5-10 minute session 1-2x a week for SAD.

One year when I was living in Vancouver, we had something 38 days of rain in a row (ie rained every day for 38 days, but not continuously) and it was so dark and grey all the time that I tried popping into a nearby tanning salon for 5-10 minute sessions 1,2x a week .... and I found it definitely improved my mood.

Disoblige
11-07-2018, 01:06 PM
How much Vitamin D3 are you guys taking usually? 1 pill is 25 mcg and 1000 IUs. I heard some people taking up to 10 pills a day, wtf?

mr2mike
11-07-2018, 02:07 PM
7000iU/d

Blood test showed 58 ng/mL. I was middle of the pack on the scale. 40-80ng/mL is a healthy range.

ExtraSlow
11-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Hai guise, after a lot of research, I decided to go big! Seems like most of the smaller models don't deliver rated lux unless they are 4" from your eyes. That seemed impractical. Picked up the northern light technology "boxelite" model. This beast is l-a-r-g-e! Will let y'all know my opinions once I've used it for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the consensus on SHORT SESSION use of tanning beds in the winter? I know everyone harps on them for skin cancer but I am thinking of 5-10 minute session 1-2x a week for SAD.

One year when I was living in Vancouver, we had something 38 days of rain in a row (ie rained every day for 38 days, but not continuously) and it was so dark and grey all the time that I tried popping into a nearby tanning salon for 5-10 minute sessions 1,2x a week .... and I found it definitely improved my mood.. revelations, I don't think there is a consensus. Although you aren't the only person I know who has seen good results.

revelations
11-17-2018, 12:52 PM
- - - Updated - - -

. revelations, I don't think there is a consensus. Although you aren't the only person I know who has seen good results.

Yea us pasty white folk take NO time to get vitamin D from sunlight - I think it was something like 15 min of sun during the solar noon at summer - is apparently more than enough.

Thats why a 5 min tan session would be enough for me - but not enough to really get a tan.

Hallowed_point
11-19-2018, 11:28 AM

One year when I was living in Vancouver, we had something 38 days of rain in a row (ie rained every day for 38 days, but not continuously) and it was so dark and grey all the time that I tried popping into a nearby tanning salon for 5-10 minute sessions 1,2x a week .... and I found it definitely improved my mood.

I don't do it anymore, but when I was living back home in Ladysmith on the island I used to do a little tanning (8 minutes once a week.) It certainly improved my mood/energy. I always wore eye protection and moisturized afterwards. I think it's like anything, don't go overboard and you should be ok. I don't find a need to do it in Calgary due to our fairly consistent sunlight. Don't need to go Jersey Shore mode either. A little tanning does wonders though. Much better than being depressed.

J-hop
11-19-2018, 12:33 PM
I don't do it anymore, but when I was living back home in Ladysmith on the island I used to do a little tanning (8 minutes once a week.) It certainly improved my mood/energy. I always wore eye protection and moisturized afterwards. I think it's like anything, don't go overboard and you should be ok. I don't find a need to do it in Calgary due to our fairly consistent sunlight. Don't need to go Jersey Shore mode either. A little tanning does wonders though. Much better than being depressed.

GTL for life.

I actually did this for a while, same deal 7-8 minutes/week. Not sure if it helped as it was before I found out I suffer from moderate sleep apnea so I was always tired anyways. Regardless it’s freaking relaxing, I would do it again purely for the meditative aspect, zone out with white noise for 8 minutes (sometimes fell asleep), leave refreshed.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Well, so far I'm happy with the northern light technologies boxelite. Partly because it's so large and not portable, I really need to carve out a space in my day without distractions or other goals. I feel that by itself is beneficial. I've been sitting in front of it with a cup of coffee, so at the end of 20-25 minutes, I'm starting to feel the caffeine, and that feeling lasts a while.

Not at all a scientific test of the light, I realize, but I feel it's helping me, which was my goal. Now to remember to use it every day.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Action shot as I work on my resume for a new opportunity:

ExtraSlow
11-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Action shot as I work on my resume for a new opportunity:

Busted this bad boy out for the season. Need to remember to carve out the time to use it daily.

ExtraSlow
11-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Fucking cold in my house, so I'm sitting in front of the fireplace, Boxelite inches from my face, no shirt to maximize benefits, drinking coffee and posting on beyond. PM me for sexy pics.

speedog
11-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Fucking cold in my house, so I'm sitting in front of the fireplace, Boxelite inches from my face, no shirt to maximize benefits, drinking coffee and posting on beyond. PM me for sexy pics.

Fuck, I'm watching you live because of malware on your device and its not just doing it for me.

spike98
11-29-2019, 08:46 AM
For people that are taking higher doses of D (+3000ui per day) i would suggest throwing in some K. Calcium deficiency is a problem with higher doses.

Disoblige
11-29-2019, 09:06 AM
For people that are taking higher doses of D (+3000ui per day) i would suggest throwing in some K. Calcium deficiency is a problem with higher doses.
I think you meant the opposite. It could cause calcium build-up in the blood.

spike98
11-29-2019, 12:33 PM
I think you meant the opposite. It could cause calcium build-up in the blood.
I guess maybe worded it wrong. It hinders absorption, which causes excessive calcium in the blood taking it away from where it matters, the bones. High blood calcium can cause the calcification of artial walls which can lead to heart disease. Osteoporosis is also a concern. Thanks for the catch.

revelations
11-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Relating to the coffee thread - as coffee can deplete calcium (and other electrolytes), if you drink coffee on a regular basis, and take D supplements, calcium is not a bad idea.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Today being the winter solstice, I made sure to break out the light box for a jump-start this morning. Hope y'all are felling well.

revelations
12-21-2019, 10:39 AM
I do the weekly 5-10 min tanning session. It really is great when things are dark.

speedog
12-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Light therapy, just saying...

ExtraSlow
11-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Have broken out the BoxElite light again for the year. Lighting up my world.

schurchill39
11-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Have broken out the BoxElite light again for the year. Lighting up my world.

I've read through the thread and with the exception of some vitamin D info and Speedog being an old horny goat, you never really gave a review on how light therapy is working for you. I'm guessing by the fact you're still using it you see benefit in it.

ExtraSlow
11-29-2020, 04:59 PM
well, it's hard to isolate one thing and provide a review on it's effectiveness for something like seasonal depression. Light therapy isn't the only thing I do, and if it's helping, the effect is subtle, but then again, a subtle benefit would be worthwhile to me, so I do continue with it.

revelations
11-29-2020, 06:28 PM
im back to the weekly 10 min tan - have tan lines now.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Rise and grind brothers.

max_boost
12-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Everyone needs the D

mr2mike
12-11-2020, 09:04 AM
Get tanning lights!

ExtraSlow
12-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Firing emails off to Delaware from my kitchen table with this thing blasting into my face. First two minutes it's really weird to have this thing beside my laptop screen, since it's like 10x brighter. But the eyes are amazing, and they adapt pretty well. I suspect it would make them hurt after a few hours, but for 30 minutes in the morning, it's no biggie.

The_Rural_Juror
12-12-2020, 09:50 AM
I like your tight bright light.