PDA

View Full Version : my personal far cry review

403Gemini
03-27-2004, 11:38 PM
Games not to bad, ive seen what graphics it can support on high end computers and those are dazzling, however on my 1600+ athlon XP with 768 ddr ram and geforce 4 ti4200, i still gotta run some shit on low detail which is sorta a pain (but whatever *shrugs*)

now onto the review

this is one of the top 3 awaited fps shooter games to come out this year. whats the other 2? doom 3 and half life 2 of course!

the game starts you off as jack carver, a ex special ops member who now takes people around on his boat... wow went from hero to looser. isnt that a job for old 60 yr old men who are retired and just wanna see some hot pieces of ass in bathing suits? anyways....

the game promised everybody to have superior AI and the works. also promising making it one of the first games where you can hide in a bush and enemies wont be able to see you. while the game does support a strong AI, you begin to catch onto enemy patterns and realize "shit if i pick off the group of em from afar while sitting in this 2 foot tall plant, they will never see me" . and its true, i parked my ass in a lil shrub and took out guys who were maybe 5 feet away from me and the entire group never caught on... now its nice you can use your terrain as cover, but when my upper body is poking out i would suspect they would see me.

back to the ai.
decent, not the greatest tho. much smarter than most FPS ai. however the game does what Commando's did. they enemy gathers their buddies, or hits an alarm button making the level about 5 times as hard. nothing for ex special ops member tho!

the game does offer a fairly good selection of weapons and its nice because you can only carry 4 at a time which adds the strategy to it.

basically the chick you take out to an island gets captured. later on you save her hot ass and she reveals that shes a CIA agent and they are doing tests on this island. you find out they were putting hormones or some shit in animals... and of course humans *gasp* big surprise i know *sarcasm*. after fighting monsters which look like hybrids from the game the thing and half life, you run into monsters who have the feel of doom type enemies. big hulking monsters with a rocket launcher strapped to their arm. sounds hard right? well this is where the 2 games share similarities (doom and far cry). the monsters look the same,a nd you can beat them with the same strategy. circle strafe and unload on it with everything you have. unlike the doom monsters, they fall quite a bit faster.

the game promised a lot, but IMO i am a tad bit disappointed.

graphics: 9.5/10
-the game wasnt half bad, to bad you need a uber machine. with what i was runnin id give 7/10. with what ive seen, id give 9.5/10

sound: 10/10
-pretty damn good. enemies have conversations, awesome gun fire effects, especially underwater and being shot at, i love hearing the bullets rip through the water

style: 8/10
-it was a mix of new and old. some used ideas but its hard to get away with anything that isnt used now-a-days

PROS: creepy feeling half way through the game when you encouter the monsters and on. makes you jump almost every corner you go around

CONS: with my machine running the game, only thing that pissed me off is that when i used my night vision goggles in a HUGE terrain area, it lagged like fuck. i wanted to commit suicide, i coulda swore it was about 3-8 fps. Also in all games why the fuck does the major female characters hafta be sluts. she comes outta the water in a baywatch style right after she kicks you in the face outta a helicopter. am i supposed to be pissed or turned on? another example of video game chicks as sluts is ninja gaiden on xbox... if you've played the game you know what im talking about...

FINAL: 9.2/10

Price purchased: 39.99 (future shop until April 1st, regular price 49.99)

YCB
03-28-2004, 12:48 AM
yeah i just installed this game... im running a radeon 9600 pro.. so its pretty smooth running for me.. good game... !!