PDA

View Full Version : Box Truck Rentals..

Brent.ff
11-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Who's the best out there? Have looked at Penske, Uhaul and Enterprise. All seem expensive by the end regardless. Any personal experience?

(can you tell im moving... sorry for all the topics)

Mitsu3000gt
11-12-2018, 11:15 AM
I used U-Haul but AFAIK they are all garbage. It was very cheap though - I had a medium sized truck for most of the day and it only cost me $120 or so with insurance. Their moving boxes are cheap too.

Note also that when you make a reservation with U-Haul, all that means is you need to still wait in a giant lineup at the pickup location to claim your reservation - the actual time on your reservation means nothing. It just means that when you get to the front of the giant line, you will probably get a truck. Not sure if any of the other companies handle this process better.

ExtraSlow
11-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Avis and Budget have them as well. Phone the Avis North hill or Macleod trail locations for details/prices.

I suspect the prices are relatively similar everywhere except u-haul which has much worse equipment.

Good luck.

ShermanEF9
11-12-2018, 11:16 AM
I had to drive a Uhaul from Calgary to Penticton once, and I can only describe the journey as terrifying.

Xtrema
11-12-2018, 07:41 PM
I had to drive a Uhaul from Calgary to Penticton once, and I can only describe the journey as terrifying.

They reserve the worst of the worst in the fleet for one way trips to destinations outside of major cities.

BokCh0y
11-12-2018, 07:49 PM
I used Penske truck rental a while back, no issues, newer trucks. Wasn't concerned mechanically, truck was solid. Only thing scary, was me, being an asian driving such a huge truck.

muse017
11-12-2018, 11:35 PM
I used Discount @ S.E(Douglasdale) while ago moving some building materials to Canmore. Unlimited mileage, a brand new truck and very affordable.

mr2mike
11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
I could only imagine. Bring ear plugs.
Winter time? I think you'd be dead on their tires that presumably are OEM. OEM as in same ones since day 1.

sabad66
11-16-2018, 05:14 PM
We used a u-haul when we moved. Used it to move our stuff and also to pick up big furniture items from stores.

no complaints at all, but mind you it was within the city and in the spring.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2018, 06:07 PM
I could only imagine. Bring ear plugs.
Winter time? I think you'd be dead on their tires that presumably are OEM. OEM as in same ones since day 1.Any box truck is awful in winter unless it's loaded really heavy. Drove an Avis box truck with like 100lbs of bulky shit in it up to Conklin once. Was -45, and those OEM All-Season tires were hard as a rock. Not an enjoyable drive, but didn't crash, so I guess that's a win.

Maxx Mazda
11-16-2018, 10:34 PM
U-Haul is probably the worst to choose from. I’ve had luck with cube vans from enterprise. A bit more expensive but at least they’re in good repair.