PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet recommendations

G-ZUS
11-13-2018, 02:10 PM
I am looking to get a new kitchen shortly. Does anyone on Beyond do kitchen cabinets or can recommend one they've had good experience with?

ExtraSlow
11-13-2018, 02:13 PM
What end of the budget spectrum are you thinking?
Ikea has some pretty good cabinet options, and cabinets are going to be one of your largest expenses.

I have no contractor recommendations, unless you want bottom of the barrel cost for rental house or similar.

G-ZUS
11-13-2018, 02:32 PM
What end of the budget spectrum are you thinking?
Ikea has some pretty good cabinet options, and cabinets are going to be one of your largest expenses.

I have no contractor recommendations, unless you want bottom of the barrel cost for rental house or similar.

Will have a look at Ikea's selections. Always thought they were bottom of the barrel for some reason. Im looking for something on the cheaper end of the spectrum but not bottom of the barrel

ExtraSlow
11-13-2018, 02:34 PM
Well, you won't find cabinets cheaper, so in that sense they are bottom of the barrel, but in my opinion they are decent quality if they are installed well. The other items in the kitchen, like backsplash, flooring, appliances and coutertops (if you don't use IKEA counters) will have a big impact on how it all looks in the end.

realazy
11-13-2018, 03:56 PM
I've looked into this in the past, Ikea cabinet boxes and hinges/slides are actually good quality. The hardware is actually all blum. If you are okay with their limited sizing which means you may have to use more filler pieces, they are a great option.

There are places online (not sure about locally) where you can order custom doors for ikea boxes to give you a more custom look.

speedog
11-13-2018, 06:12 PM
I currently sub to Woodcraft Kitchen Cabinets, I really don't much about their pricing but they can do some quite economical stuff to much higher end as well. Components/hardware can really start to inflate a kitchen's cost - the sky's the limit with that stuff.

Lex350
11-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Will have a look at Ikea's selections. Always thought they were bottom of the barrel for some reason. Im looking for something on the cheaper end of the spectrum but not bottom of the barrel

They aren't very good cabinets. Look at things like the hardware but more specifically the drawer construction....cheap.

mr2mike
11-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Cabinet solutions maybe?
If you go Ikea, get ALL the cabinets at the same time. If one is backordered, there is a chance they never get it and you're stuck with a mis-matched cabinet. Happened to someone I know.

bjstare
11-14-2018, 09:21 AM
When we bought our house, it had an Ikea kitchen. It was garbage. The hardware was worn out, drawers and doors were poor quality. The only redeeming quality is the price (granted that obviously counts for a lot). When we redid our kitchen, the cabinets were done mostly by dreamspace interiors and we're very happy. They won't be competitive with Ikea prices though.

dj_rice
11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
Happy wife = happy life. Spend a little more and get better quality and it'll pay back in long run

ExtraSlow
11-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Cabinet solutions maybe?
If you go Ikea, get ALL the cabinets at the same time. If one is backordered, there is a chance they never get it and you're stuck with a mis-matched cabinet. Happened to someone I know.

If you go ikea, wait for the kitchen event. I believe they do it twice a year. It's worth it.

Lex350
11-14-2018, 10:15 AM
I have had clients use these guys quite a bit:

https://www.denca.ca/custom-cabinets/custom-cabinets-kitchens.html

vengie
11-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Currently using "New Look Cabinets" to do an overhaul of our kitchen.
We are mid-project so I can't speak to the finalized work, but the customer service back and forth has been fantastic so far.

triplep
11-14-2018, 06:10 PM
You should get multiple quotes, you will be surprised at the difference in costs. Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

We got quotes from Zen Living and Albert Cabinet Manufacturers (I believe). The guy that did our quote at ACM, was made when I told him his quote was higher then the Zen Living. He said if he knew he was competing with Zen Living, he wouldn't have bothered to give me a quote because there is no way he could have beat their prices. Depending on your time frame, I think Zen offers a 10% discount or something like that if you are willing to wait to get your cabinets made in China and shipped, as opposed to getting them made in house. We did have a bit of issues using Zen, the guys that came to measure, measured everything opposite, and I would say that 70% of our cabinets were remade twice, as we were using existing counter tops and what the designed didn't work, second time was because they messed them up again. All in all it took longer than expected, but for the price I was happy. Also, they ended up running a bead of caulk from the cabinets from the ceiling and a couple months later the cabinets started to drop and ripped apart the ceiling so they had to come in and put on a crown molding piece to cover the separation. They originally wanted me to pay $500 to get this fixed, but after talking to the owner about all the issues we had, they fixed everything for free.

I would use them again if I was looking for cabinets, even with all the issues experienced.

speedog
11-14-2018, 06:27 PM
I used to sub to Zen, quality control has become an issue with their product since they moved their manufacturing overseas. Pricewise they are very competitive but knowing what I do I, I look to other cabinet companies in Calgary as there at least 150 of them. Word of warning, stray away from Calgary Custom Cabinetry - the owner there rips both his customers and his subs off.

bjstare
11-14-2018, 08:53 PM
You should get multiple quotes, you will be surprised at the difference in costs. Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

We got quotes from Zen Living and Albert Cabinet Manufacturers (I believe). The guy that did our quote at ACM, was made when I told him his quote was higher then the Zen Living. He said if he knew he was competing with Zen Living, he wouldn't have bothered to give me a quote because there is no way he could have beat their prices. Depending on your time frame, I think Zen offers a 10% discount or something like that if you are willing to wait to get your cabinets made in China and shipped, as opposed to getting them made in house. We did have a bit of issues using Zen, the guys that came to measure, measured everything opposite, and I would say that 70% of our cabinets were remade twice, as we were using existing counter tops and what the designed didn't work, second time was because they messed them up again. All in all it took longer than expected, but for the price I was happy. Also, they ended up running a bead of caulk from the cabinets from the ceiling and a couple months later the cabinets started to drop and ripped apart the ceiling so they had to come in and put on a crown molding piece to cover the separation. They originally wanted me to pay $500 to get this fixed, but after talking to the owner about all the issues we had, they fixed everything for free.

I would use them again if I was looking for cabinets, even with all the issues experienced.

Good lord, they must have been cheap. Any single one of the issues you had would be a motivator for me to spend more and get someone else, let alone all of them combined :nut:

speedog
11-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Good lord, they must have been cheap. Any single one of the issues you had would be a motivator for me to spend more and get someone else, let alone all of them combined :nut:

Cabinets just shouldn't drop and certainly any caulking the Zen people should have used shouldn't have ripped apart the ceiling unless it was silicone - silicone will easily tear things apart once it's set up.

Lex350
11-15-2018, 08:04 AM

You call that "a bit of issues"? Hell no, not worth the price. They sound incompetent to me.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2018, 08:04 AM

I'd hope they were half the price of ikea for all that shitshow. Jesus fucking christ.

suntan
11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Cabinets just shouldn't drop and certainly any caulking the Zen people should have used shouldn't have ripped apart the ceiling unless it was silicone - silicone will easily tear things apart once it's set up.

The cabinets just wanted to go back to their home country.

eblend
11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
I redid my kitchen with Ikea during their kitchen event. I think the quality is really good if you ask me, Bryan Baeumler uses them often on his HGTV show. Mine is about a year old now, no issues at all. Their planning tool online makes it easy to plan the whole thing out and spits out the list of all the parts you will need.

This was my kitchen when I was all done, the quartz is from Ikea as well and is part of the Kitchen Event

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-fjjKrCF/0/c8b1b517/XL/IMG_20171012_201020-XL.jpg

G-ZUS
11-16-2018, 09:57 AM
I redid my kitchen with Ikea during their kitchen event. I think the quality is really good if you ask me, Bryan Baeumler uses them often on his HGTV show. Mine is about a year old now, no issues at all. Their planning tool online makes it easy to plan the whole thing out and spits out the list of all the parts you will need.

This was my kitchen when I was all done, the quartz is from Ikea as well and is part of the Kitchen Event

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-fjjKrCF/0/c8b1b517/XL/IMG_20171012_201020-XL.jpg

Looks good, what did that cost you if you don't mind me asking? pm me if you want

eblend
11-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Looks good, what did that cost you if you don't mind me asking? pm me if you want

All in $12k, i did all the work myself. Stone was like half of that, this does not include the 20% i got back in ikea giftcards.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, that price includes a new stove, new dishwasher, new microwave and a new induction cooktop, all from Ikea (made my whirlpool).

cidley69
12-22-2022, 11:03 PM
In the market for kitchen cabinets. Anyone have recent good experience with cabinet makers other than Ikea?

ExtraSlow
12-22-2022, 11:16 PM
Ikea kitchen event? No. I don't know the date

G-ZUS
12-23-2022, 09:08 AM
In the market for kitchen cabinets. Anyone have recent good experience with cabinet makers other than Ikea?

I ended up going with HP woodworks for the cabinets. they are of decent quality and have had no major issues with them. However, when they get your money and install your cabinets, they ignore you

msommers
12-23-2022, 09:28 AM
Legacy Kitchens

bjstare
12-23-2022, 09:37 AM
However, when they get your money and install your cabinets, they ignore you

I suspect that's because the job is finished.

riander5
12-23-2022, 09:42 AM
I just bought a full ikea kitchen, was about 40% cheaper including countertops than a reasonably priced custom kitchen I had quoted.

Building it and installing over next 2 weeks. Will share pics.

Don't have the budget for full custom, I'm no aspenite. However my kids do not drink pop.. so maybe im halfway there

ExtraSlow
12-23-2022, 10:16 AM
Ikea kitchen cabinets cannot be beat for value. Unless you go up to full solid wood, dovetail drawers kinda level.

bjstare
12-23-2022, 10:41 AM
ExtraSlow my ears were burning.

In case it's helpful for anyone else that comes across this thread, here's a couple pics of what dreamspace did for us (the faces are quartersawn black walnut; 4 years later, and I still regret not using a lighter stain to show more of the wood):

(ignore the poor alignment on the top of the door here, that got fixed before we moved back in)

killramos
12-23-2022, 10:49 AM
All that money on cabinets and you kept that range?

bjstare
12-23-2022, 11:16 AM
All that money on cabinets and you kept that range?

Heck yes we did. It might not have red knobs, but it's actually really good - it's a Dacor from the pre-Samsung days. We'd have had to spend a lot of money to get something measurably better, and in a house we're not staying in for the long haul, it just didn't make sense.

ExtraSlow
12-23-2022, 11:30 AM
I approve of that cabinetry.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think appliances are the least interesting thing about a kitchen.

killramos
12-23-2022, 11:38 AM
I like pretty appliances, and dated ones really turn me off regardless of how well they function.

prae
12-23-2022, 11:54 AM
If you're looking for something in between IKEA and Legacy, we had an independent guy do beautiful cabinetry from https://www.ddcontractingltd.com/fine-cabinetry I cant say I'd recommend our installer (work was fine but the process of getting to the end result was a hassle), but the cabinetry was top notch for a very reasonable price. Worth paying them a visit for a discussion.

edit: to clarify, the installer we hired was unaffiliated with D&D, he just sourced the CNC-cut boxes & faces from D&D, and painted them himself.

I've installed ikea cabinetry and would generally agree, the quality is great for the price. I've also installed a fair bit of of https://cabinetsolutions.com/ and would probably choose them over IKEA for the ease of installing pre-assembled boxes.

Cabinet solutions bases with ikea el-cheapo sink & faux-butcher-block top
https://i.imgur.com/0qAuEK0.jpg

d&d contracting kitchen
https://i.imgur.com/79yUes1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ybtNkMt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kjLwDTS.jpg

pretty appliances for killy's benefit.

I really like the maple drawer boxes that come with cabinet solutions, a lot more than ikea's melamine-coated particleboard. But ikea's hardware, and general quality-of-construction is great for the price. if you aren't doing the labour yourself, I think the time savings of something like cabinet solutions ends up negating any additional cost versus IKEA.

IKEA cabinetry & melamine countertop in laundry, with a diy backsplash
https://i.imgur.com/7fcHTI5.jpg

suntan
12-23-2022, 12:00 PM
Need to see if 89coupe says it's builder grade crap.

prae
12-23-2022, 12:05 PM
Need to see if 89coupe says it's builder grade crap.

I am the builder and I can confirm, am crap.

I'll also add, ikea's cleverness with drawers and small space storage is really top notch. For our small 1.5pc ensuite I did one of their floating vanities, and in that laundry cabinet, there are all these clever extra drawers.

You don't get that with cabinet solutions and even our legacy kitchen currently has none of the fancy small-space tricks that ikea employs.

msommers
12-23-2022, 12:05 PM
That looks great man.

Plus that espresso setup :love:

Rarasaurus
12-23-2022, 12:08 PM
I just bought a full ikea kitchen, was about 40% cheaper including countertops than a reasonably priced custom kitchen I had quoted.

Building it and installing over next 2 weeks. Will share pics.

Don't have the budget for full custom, I'm no aspenite. However my kids do not drink pop.. so maybe im halfway there

Are the horror stories of stock and delays now resolved at Ikea?

JordanLotoski
12-23-2022, 05:59 PM
I have Marvel starting my Kitchen and Baths in a few weeks...Quality is 10/10
https://marvelcabinetry.com/

nismodrifter
12-23-2022, 06:27 PM
+1 for Legacy. A quality product.

benyl
12-23-2022, 06:40 PM
I haven’t had any issues with HP Woodwork. They still answer me. They did some nice custom shit for us that was a bit out of the norm. 9ft door that hides our stick vac. Wish we could have afforded solid Walnut, but this will do.

It’s all CNC. This is not “cabinet” maker cabinets. For us, they used grass slides.

They also booked matched where they could.

npham
12-23-2022, 08:38 PM
Solid black walnut cabinets are the dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXX8Bb84iA

benyl
12-23-2022, 10:50 PM
Solid black walnut cabinets are the dream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNXX8Bb84iA

Those aren’t solid. Veneered ply wood with a solid edge.

msommers
12-23-2022, 11:08 PM
Walnut is beautiful but most walnut types are actually quite soft and prone to dings.

bjstare
12-24-2022, 12:28 AM
Walnut is beautiful but most walnut types are actually quite soft and prone to dings.

Fwiw my kids and dogs have abused the shit out of mine, and they still look the same as when they were installed.

cidley69
12-26-2022, 08:03 AM
For anyone looking for a list of Beyond recommended cabinet shops:

D&D Contracting, 4619 6 St NE
Woodcraft, 3651 23 St NE
Legacy kitchens, 2980 Sunridge Way NE
Cabinet solutions, 2980 Sunridge Way NE
Dreamspace, 601 28 St NE
Evolve kitchens, 4220 23 St NE
Yyc cabinets, 666 Goddard Ave NE

Zen, 4216 61 Ave SE
Denca, 555 60 Ave SE