PDA

View Full Version : Black Mold in Basement?

nissanK
11-18-2018, 12:02 PM
One of the rooms on the main floor is colder than the others so I did some investigation to see if there are air leaks/gaps in the exterior side of the house. The room has a large bay window that overhangs the basement.

Basement is unfinished so I removed the insulation under the bay window and discovered this:

The worst area is by the heating duct up to the room and the insulation was wet when I removed it. Other areas have significant condensation. Looks like it's isolated to under the bay window.

Needless to say, I've emailed the New Home Warranty program and the builder to come and take a look. Looks like I still have till 2019 for the building envelope part of the warranty.

Anything else I should do until someone comes to assess? I've limiting anyone going to the basement and placed the insulation on the worst are back to help prevent any spores going airborne.

Darell_n
11-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Looks like just a little surface mold that can be cleaned with bleach. I wouldn't be concerned with any health issues, more so with getting it properly insulated and vapour barriered. Looks like an excellent candidate for spray foam insulation as it seals and insulates at the same time.

revelations
11-18-2018, 04:16 PM
How do you know that mold wasnt on the plywood prior to install? That looks like only one specific piece was affected. Could also be that one piece had some dirt on it which then turned into that later on.

Nothing there I would worry about. Seal it up and move on.

88CRX
11-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Looks like just a little surface mold that can be cleaned with bleach. I wouldn't be concerned with any health issues, more so with getting it properly insulated and vapour barriered. Looks like an excellent candidate for spray foam insulation as it seals and insulates at the same time.

Ding ding ding!

Get a contractor to come in and spray foam that entire cantilever.