PDA

View Full Version : New Oven Stinks

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2018, 07:51 PM
We got a new range/oven recently and it is emitting some really strong chemical smells. I washed the inside with dish soap/water before use but the smell seems to be originating from behind it (where it smells strongest anyway). There was also some smoke from the first use that the manual said was normal manufacturing oil burning off. The manual also says that smell can kill birds which is both odd and concerning.

I’ve done 4 “burn offs” already around 425F for 30-40mins and the smoke is gone but there is a strong chemical smell still coming from behind the oven as best I can tell. I pulled it out and made sure there was no packaging left on or anything. There are little vents on the back and that is where the smell is strongest. It gives me and the GF a headache almost instantly and fills the whole main floor of the house. We open windows when we can but it’s pretty cold out. Have any of you guys experienced this before with a new oven? Is this just normal manufacturing junk that needs to burn off over time or should we be trying to return it?

cycosis
11-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Who did the install? Have you reached out to the service line of the manufacturer?

ExtraSlow
11-19-2018, 09:34 PM
If it was me, I'd be pulling it out and inspecting behind it for any signs of anything.

Maxx Mazda
11-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Yeah pull it out. Often times installers will forget to remove the stickers and plastic bags containing instruction manuals, etc even though the giant “REMOVE BEFORE USE” text is right there. Could be melting something.

ganesh
11-20-2018, 07:13 AM
If it was me, I'd be pulling it out and inspecting behind it for any signs of anything.

Op said "I pulled it out and made sure there was no packaging left on or anything"

ExtraSlow
11-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Op said "I pulled it out and made sure there was no packaging left on or anything"

Hmm, I missed that, but I'd pull it out again and look again. It's possible that it was assembled wrong and it's heating the wall behind and could be a fire risk.
I actually had a gas oven cause an explosion in my house once from that exact issue. It was venting about half the gas out the back, which needed to build up before it caught fire.

captain134
11-20-2018, 08:38 AM
We got a new range/oven recently and it is emitting some really strong chemical smells. I washed the inside with dish soap/water before use but the smell seems to be originating from behind it (where it smells strongest anyway). There was also some smoke from the first use that the manual said was normal manufacturing oil burning off. The manual also says that smell can kill birds which is both odd and concerning.

I’ve done 4 “burn offs” already around 425F for 30-40mins and the smoke is gone but there is a strong chemical smell still coming from behind the oven as best I can tell. I pulled it out and made sure there was no packaging left on or anything. There are little vents on the back and that is where the smell is strongest. It gives me and the GF a headache almost instantly and fills the whole main floor of the house. We open windows when we can but it’s pretty cold out. Have any of you guys experienced this before with a new oven? Is this just normal manufacturing junk that needs to burn off over time or should we be trying to return it?

Do you know what Ozone smells like? If so, does it smell like that? Typically if there is electrical arcing from a loose connector etc... it will smell like ozone. If you don't know what it smells like, I'm not sure what to tell ya because I don't know how to describe the smell.

Tik-Tok
11-20-2018, 09:30 AM
Do you know what Ozone smells like? If so, does it smell like that? Typically if there is electrical arcing from a loose connector etc... it will smell like ozone. If you don't know what it smells like, I'm not sure what to tell ya because I don't know how to describe the smell.

A little like a mix of chlorine and rotting fish. At least that's what my main breaker smelt like when one of the terminals rattled itself loose over a few decades.

mr2mike
11-20-2018, 09:41 AM
It's warm today. Crank it up and put a fan on and open the windows.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Who did the install? Have you reached out to the service line of the manufacturer?

The delivery guys just dumped it in the kitchen, we pushed it into the space between the counter. There wasn't much to it. I have gone over it though to the best of my ability making sure there is no plastic, packaging, etc.

I tried calling Whirlpool last night but they have normal hours, so I will try again today. I am 99% sure they will just tell me it will eventually go away, which doesn't really help.

Did that - there isn't much to look at behind the unit, mostly just a big galvanized panel with a couple vents (where the smell seems to originate from) and a power cord.

Yeah pull it out. Often times installers will forget to remove the stickers and plastic bags containing instruction manuals, etc even though the giant “REMOVE BEFORE USE” text is right there. Could be melting something.

I will check again, but I am pretty sure it's all clear. The smell seems to be coming from the vents in the galvanized metal backing. The inside of the oven itself produces no smell as best I can tell, either with or without heat.

I don't sorry. My Google research suggests it is either adhesive or formaldehyde in the insulation - both of which are concerning to me and according to the manual can kill birds? It smells very chemically.

A little like a mix of chlorine and rotting fish. At least that's what my main breaker smelt like when one of the terminals rattled itself loose over a few decades.

I guess it kind of smells like that, but it just smells like burning plastic or burning chemical which I realize is pretty generic, but it's definitely not normal and I get a headache almost instantly.

It's warm today. Crank it up and put a fan on and open the windows.

I did that yesterday, the smell lingers around like crazy. Might try again tonight using the bake timer so I don't even have to be in the house and just not make it too hot.

Thanks guys - I'll let you know what the store I bought it from and Whirlpool says, but I'm sure it'll just be "oh don't worry".

My best guess is something inside the oven casing, but outside the actual bake area, is burning or burning off.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Does it have self clean? If so, turn that bitch on. Supposed to get to ~900*F, that should burn it off for good.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Does it have self clean? If so, turn that bitch on. Supposed to get to ~900*F, that should burn it off for good.

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

It does - manual says it can result in cracks and glass discoloration haha. Not sure I really want to do that to a brand new oven. It might end up being the solution though.

The thing is though the inside of the oven itself (where I imagine the self clean targets) is 100% fine. There is zero smell coming from inside the cooking area. It's all behind the oven behind the exterior paneling, but I guess it is still somehow tied to heat because it only stinks when the oven is on.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
I talked to Whrilpool - useless as expected. Just some person reading off a script. They just said the smell is normal, and that if they send someone out to look at it and they don't see anything wrong I'll have to pay for the service call, which is for sure what will happen if there is no obvious physical damage.

Still waiting for a call back from the Appliance store.

revelations
11-20-2018, 12:00 PM
^ 'smell' is extremely subjective to a CSR - my smell and sensitivity smell is VASTLY different that yours.

Burning plastic? Natural Gas? Electric wire insulation touching the oven? Oven insulation?

If you had a photo of the house filled with smoke then DEFINITELY they would be sending a tech out.

Regarding birds, this warning is issued because air quality has a HUGE impact on these little dudes.
They are extremely sensitive to pollutants in the air. You might get a headache but a bird might be dead within an hour. Even painting a room that a bird is not in will cause it distress unless the house is very well ventilated.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2018, 12:24 PM
^ 'smell' is extremely subjective to a CSR - my smell and sensitivity smell is VASTLY different that yours.

Burning plastic? Natural Gas? Electric wire insulation touching the oven? Oven insulation?

If you had a photo of the house filled with smoke then DEFINITELY they would be sending a tech out.

Regarding birds, this warning is issued because air quality has a HUGE impact on these little dudes.
They are extremely sensitive to pollutants in the air. You might get a headache but a bird might be dead within an hour. Even painting a room that a bird is not in will cause it distress unless the house is very well ventilated.

Yeah definitely too subjective to take a chance on the service call - the smell I think is so strong nobody could dispute it, but they could just tell me it's normal and I couldn't do anything about it. There was a lot of smoke, but only on the first use, and the manual said that was normal manufacturing oils burning off. That came from inside the oven too, but is now 100% gone.

It's all electric so no gas smell - I would recognize that immediately. I'm guessing something in the oven housing, probably insulation or plastic wires/components, is touching the exterior of the cooking area, or is close enough to that area to melt/burn.

Good to know about the birds - I guess that's why they used Canarys in the mines. The fact that they have that in the manual seemed oddly specific. I just feel like it can't be healthy even for an Adult. Even with windows open and a fan sucking in fresh air to blow through the house, there is no ignoring the smell.

Maybe I'll run it again tonight on a bake timer so I don't have to be home and it can stay on for an hour or so then shut off automatically.

EDIT: Coast is sending someone out free of charge. I'm expecting them to just tell me "that's normal it'll eventually go away" but I am impressed that they are willing to try help.