PDA

View Full Version : Crave + Movies + HBO

schocker
11-20-2018, 12:33 PM
Is this finally the streaming service we have been waiting for?
$19.98 /mth and includes (5) Live channels (Crave 1-3 and HBO 1-2), Current HBO/Showtime, New Movies. Basically like the us HBO offerings for $10 /mth more than normal crave.
Sounds like a new app has also been rolled out now.

It also sounds like Hulu will be coming to Canada in the near future (Not 2018) after Disney bought Fox.

lilmira
11-20-2018, 01:36 PM
The library is not as big as Netflix but then you don't get HBO on Netflix. It may also have different new movies content then Netflix. I had the movie network and HBO. I didn't even realize the switch to Crave last week. I was like where were the TMN channels.

sexualbanana
11-20-2018, 05:30 PM
The library is not as big as Netflix but then you don't get HBO on Netflix. It may also have different new movies content then Netflix. I had the movie network and HBO. I didn't even realize the switch to Crave last week. I was like where were the TMN channels.

Crave is probably better from a TV series perspective, so this is actually pretty awesome for me. I was considering cancelling TMN and HBO and subscribing to Crave in addition to Netflix, but now I don't have to.

Also, I can now watch LetterKenny.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2018, 05:44 PM
IMO it's still too expensive at 4 times the price of unlimited everything (newsgroups + Plex). For those that absolutely have to have everything run their their cable box it seems like a step in the right direction.

rage2
11-20-2018, 06:45 PM
IMO it's still too expensive at 4 times the price of unlimited everything (newsgroups + Plex). For those that absolutely have to have everything run their their cable box it seems like a step in the right direction.
That car I stole is also cheaper than buying it from the dealer. :rofl:

killramos
11-20-2018, 07:42 PM

Gold

So does this mean the new season of GoT is never coming to Vanilla Crave?

schocker
11-21-2018, 12:48 AM
Gold

So does this mean the new season of GoT is never coming to Vanilla Crave?

Probably eventually, just not same time as crave plus.

No apps for LG or nvidia shield though. Looks like you would have to cast it instead from phone. boooooooooooooo

killramos
11-21-2018, 08:54 AM
They kept saying it would come to crave before the new season launches. Etc year, I have a feeling this is what they meant lol.

Wonder if I can con Shaw into giving it to me half price for a year so it will integrate with my blue sky, I unfortunately subscribed for a year outside of Shaw so it won’t integrate with blue sky which is stupid...

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2018, 10:15 AM

To my knowledge there is nothing illegal about streaming in Canada, so long as you aren't uploading or distributing.

killramos
11-21-2018, 10:29 AM
“To my knowledge there is nothing illegal about buying obviously stolen items off the internet in Canada, as long as you weren’t the one who did the stealing”

The mental gymnastics people go through to justify not paying for things is always astounding.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2018, 10:31 AM
“To my knowledge there is nothing illegal about buying obviously stolen items off the internet in Canada, as long as you weren’t the one who did the stealing”

You've never so much as downloaded a MP3 in your entire life I take it? Never done anything illegal in your entire life? :rofl: You can get off your pedestal.

Can you show me where you found streaming is illegal in Canada? I have looked and I cannot find anything that says it is illegal.

killramos
11-21-2018, 10:47 AM
I think you are confusing “not worth prosecuting” with not illegal.

And violating terms of use and copywrite law is pretty clearly not legal in Canada in terms of civil law.

Again. More mental gymnastics, end of the day shitty people will do whatever shitty things they want and find a way to justify it.

You want to consume content, pay for it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2018, 10:50 AM
I think you are confusing “not worth prosecuting” with not illegal.

And violating terms of use and copywrite law is pretty clearly not legal in Canada in terms of civil law.

Again. More mental gymnastics, end of the day shitty people will do whatever shitty things they want and find a way to justify it.

No, I think it's actually not illegal. Can you find me the language where streaming specifically is illegal in Canada? I can't and I have looked.

There are penalties in place for distributing, and they have gone to the trouble of setting limits for both individuals and larger operations. Streaming is not included as far a I have ever been able to find. Everything I have ever read says it is not illegal.

You didn't answer my question - have you ever done anything illegal in your life? Because if so you are not in a position to be lecturing anyone on this topic. And it is not even illegal based on everything I've been able to find.

You want to consume content, pay for it.
When you speed, do you mail the city money?

rage2
11-21-2018, 11:10 AM
Downloading movies is copyright infringement. Downloading music is fair game because of the levy that covers recordable audio medium. It’s too expensive right now to sue end users because legal costs are greater than the maximum fine. There would be a shift at some point depending on how the Supreme Court rules on who pays for identifying the offender (ISP or studio). If the ISP is responsible for identification costs, it will become cheap to mass sue end users. The piracy game would end pretty quickly if this happens.

killramos
11-21-2018, 11:10 AM
What a stupid and pedantic argument, how about you show me exactly what law says it’s explicitly legal to consume content you didn’t pay for just because you happened to stream it?

I can point you to Canadian copywrite law which paints it as illegal https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr02281.html

But I’m sure you feel it doesn’t apply to you.

An even better question: You feel that using things without paying for them is right? Morally?

You are free to lecture me about speeding all you want, your practice of illegally streaming media doesn’t magically change that. FWIW I have a 100% clean driving record, not that it’s relevant to this topic. And if I do get caught speeding I do pay my fines. I do strive to conduct myself in an ethical and legal manner. But it still doesn’t change the legality of your behaviour.

End of the day, like I said shitty people will find whatever way suits them justifying their shitty behaviour. And yes that is me calling you a shitty person for refusing to pay for things you obviously enjoy consuming.

I am sure lots of people think I am a shitty person for driving above the speed limit, the difference is I understand and accept the consequences for my actions. You put your head in the sand and pretend what you are doing isn’t wrong and has no effect on anyone. Which is patently false.

I have no problem paying a nominal fee to crave for the content they offer, I guess you are just too much of a cheap fuck to afford the 8 bucks a month for high quality entertainment.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2018, 11:45 AM
What a stupid and pedantic argument, how about you show me exactly what law says it’s explicitly legal to consume content you didn’t pay for just because you happened to stream it?

I can point you to Canadian copywrite law which paints it as illegal https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr02281.html

But I’m sure you feel it doesn’t apply to you.

Viewing streamed content is not illegal. Show me that it is. The link you provided does not. Viewing streamed content is not copying or distributing anything. You know how laws work right? There isn't a giant, endless list somewhere of everything that is legal for everyone to refer to.

An even better question: You feel that using things without paying for them is right? Morally?

You keep dodging my question - if you've ever done anything illegal in your entire life, you are not in any position to be asking these types of questions. You can't be making the moral compass argument when you openly admit to breaking the law yourself. You are just cherry picking what things are OK and not OK to do based on what you personally do. How can you criticize someone else for doing the exact same thing?

You are free to lecture me about speeding all you want, your practice of illegally streaming media doesn’t magically change that. FWIW I have a 100% clean driving record, not that it’s relevant to this topic. And if I do get caught speeding I do pay my fines. I do strive to conduct myself in an ethical and legal manner. But it still doesn’t change the legality of your behaviour.

I am not here to lecture anyone, but in that same breath I HIGHLY doubt anyone here is in any position to be lecturing anyone at all without being a giant hypocrite. You are also putting words in my mouth, I didn't say this was my practice. I just said it was an alternative. I have a 100% clean record with the Government of Canada, and if I ever get caught doing something that isn't even illegal and fined for it, I will pay the fine. It seems we are rather similar after all. Speeding and not getting caught doesn't change the legality or acceptability of your behavior. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of mailing the city money every time you knowingly speed, but somehow you seem to think that only some laws are OK to break based on how convenient they are for you.

End of the day, like I said shitty people will find whatever way suits them justifying their shitty behaviour. And yes that is me calling you a shitty person for refusing to pay for things you obviously enjoy consuming.

Hello pot, this is kettle. Your argument is basically "yeah I do all these illegal things, but when someone else does something illegal, shame on them". You are justifying your illegal behavior by saying that you will pay the fine if necessary (not that you would have a choice in the matter), that doesn't make it right.

I am sure lots of people think I am a shitty person for driving above the speed limit, the difference is I understand and accept the consequences for my actions. You put your head in the sand and pretend what you are doing isn’t wrong and has no effect on anyone. Which is patently false.

Where did I ever say I didn't understand or accept the consequences? You are making an awful lot of incorrect assumptions. You realize how hypocritical you sound, right? You don't think your speeding affects anyone else? And I am guessing that is not the only illegal thing you've ever done in your adult life.

I have no problem paying a nominal fee to crave for the content they offer, I guess you are just too much of a cheap fuck to afford the 8 bucks a month for high quality entertainment.

Where did I say I did this? I pay a hell of a lot more than $8/mo for my content. I pay for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Prime Video, I pay for Google Play Music, and I pay for premium internet just to name a few. The overwhelming majority of what I watch is on Netflix/Prime.

infamous
11-21-2018, 11:49 AM
(grabs popcorn and quietly sits in corner) :angel:

killramos
11-21-2018, 12:05 PM
How obtuse can you be you moron.

I didn’t dodge your question, you just didn’t like my answer.

And it’s all irrelevant in that my actions do not affect what you do as being right or wrong. My “hypocrisy” doesn’t change anything.

Streaming content you didn’t pay for is wrong, you are depriving the content providers and those who legally license the content from revenue. You could easily pay for the content, but you choose not to. That makes you a cheap fuck.

And guess what, I could have a pile of kids chopped up in my basement and it wouldn’t change the fact that what you are doing is wrong.

Copywrite law most definitely applies, your opinion that it doesn’t because you streamed it is irrelevant.

You might as well say “well some guy murder someone last week, so it doesn’t really matter what I do” :facepalm:

Give your head a shake and accept that you are no different than a scumbag who stuffs a DVD in his coat at Best Buy, the only difference is you hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2018, 12:16 PM

And it’s all irrelevant in that my actions do not affect what you do as being right or wrong. My “hypocrisy” doesn’t change anything.

Streaming content you didn’t pay for is wrong, you are depriving the content providers and those who legally license the content from revenue. You could easily pay for the content, but you choose not to. That makes you a cheap fuck.

And guess what, I could have a pile of kids chopped up in my basement and it wouldn’t change the fact that what you are doing is wrong.

Copywrite law most definitely applies, your opinion that it doesn’t because you streamed it is irrelevant.

You might as well say “well some guy murder someone last week, so it doesn’t really matter what I do” :facepalm:

Give your head a shake and accept that you are no different than a scumbag who stuffs a DVD in his coat at Best Buy, the only difference is you hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

So, we're the same then it seems. Cool. You have openly admitted to being a hypocrite on the matter so I don't think there is anything more to discuss. Your argument is literally "yeah so what that I do all these illegal things, that doesn't make it right for you to do the same". If you're not going to hold yourself to the same legal or moral standard your arguments just come off as ridiculous.

It's OK for you to do whatever you want that is illegal, but anyone else who does something illegal is a scum bag and you're not because.....?? Got it.

Also, if you bothered to read my last post, this isn't even how I get my content, but it's probably what a lot of people are going to use to judge the value of the plan which is the only reason I brought it up.

bball2
11-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Getting back on topic, so with the $20/mo crave package do you get the latest HBO content right away? Ie) can you stream the latest game of thrones episode the same night it's released?

speedog
11-21-2018, 01:11 PM
(grabs popcorn and quietly sits in corner) :angel:

Is it your popcorn?

schocker
11-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Getting back on topic, so with the $20/mo crave package do you get the latest HBO content right away? Ie) can you stream the latest game of thrones episode the same night it's released?

Isn't too clear on the website, but the stories I saw when they unveiled this said Live and or day/date for HBO, so it should be that way.

infamous
11-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Is it your popcorn?

nope. found it in safeway and figured stealing is ok, so i put it in my pocket and walked out :rofl: :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2018, 10:55 AM
nope. found it in safeway and figured stealing is ok, so i put it in my pocket and walked out :rofl: :rofl:

You're missing a very important step - you first need to make a claim on the internet that you will accept the consequences, only then have you completely washed your hands of the matter and it's OK to continue :rofl: And only for you! Anyone else who finds popcorn is the scum of the earth and should be shamed for all eternity. :rofl:

killramos
11-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Saw someone driving in the carpool lane with one person in the car on my way to work today’s so you are good fam.

So I looked and GoT up to season 6 is still on normal crave, they kept promising that 7 would be on there before 8 comes out but I think with this new service that isn’t going to materialize.

Not sure I gaf enough about hbo shows to tack this on for 10 more dollars a month.

- - - Updated - - -

You're missing a very important step - you first need to make a claim on the internet that you will accept the consequences, only then have you completely washed your hands of the matter and it's OK to continue :rofl: And only for you! Anyone else who finds popcorn is the scum of the earth and should be shamed for all eternity. :rofl:

You are a truly clueless human being

infamous
11-28-2018, 10:59 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: exactly this!

schocker
12-03-2018, 05:35 PM
I signed up. It is worth signing up through shaw so that the live channels show up in the actual channel listings and the on-demand has the back catalog. Also the on-demand shows up in the freesky app so you don't have to use the crave app. I don't see the live channels in there though. Also you can watch on the website obviously including the live channels.

Team_Mclaren
12-04-2018, 10:02 AM
I also signed up via Telus. Love the HBO and showtime contents and i find they have some newer movies than Netflix. I guess torrent would be the cheapest tho :drama:

ThePenIsMightier
04-28-2019, 08:00 PM
Probably eventually, just not same time as crave plus.

No apps for LG or nvidia shield though. Looks like you would have to cast it instead from phone. boooooooooooooo

Bump.
I just signed up and I'm really disappointed I can't seem to find an app for PS4 or even one on my "Android" Sony TV. This is a bit of a deal breaker. I don't feel I should only be able to stream it to my TV if it's going to be $10/month.
Am I missing something? How the fuck is there not an app yet for something as huge as PS4 or a Sony TV? I want to binge Letterkenny.

killramos
04-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Been an Xbox app for years, and Crave has always worked on my Samsung TV’s

I would probably blame Sony, seems like the common denominator here.

Brent.ff
04-29-2019, 06:53 AM
Bump.
I just signed up and I'm really disappointed I can't seem to find an app for PS4 or even one on my "Android" Sony TV. This is a bit of a deal breaker. I don't feel I should only be able to stream it to my TV if it's going to be $10/month.
Am I missing something? How the fuck is there not an app yet for something as huge as PS4 or a Sony TV? I want to binge Letterkenny.

Or the fact that you have to 'allow tracking' to even have their videos run on firefox or safari... its a super joke. I signed up for their trial, i'll be deleting it as soon as GOT is over

ThePenIsMightier
04-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Been an Xbox app for years, and Crave has always worked on my Samsung TV’s

I would probably blame Sony, seems like the common denominator here.

That's too ridiculous to be true, isn't it? It's not like I bought a VanoSponic TV and I'm trying to find a Coleco Vision app. Sony is a massive player in smart TVs and the PS4 is a massive player in consoles that are often connected to un-smart TVs to bridge the app gap.
How much can they hate money to exclude that much of their potential market and what is motivating them to do this? It's owned by Bell. Since when do they have a beef with Sony?

Like the next post mentions, I'm glad I didn't prepay for the year and I think I'll shut this off after I get my full of Letterkenny.

rage2
04-29-2019, 11:59 AM
It's been over 10 years since I've sworn off Sony.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/216905-Sony-products-are-unreliable-problem-plagued-and-simply-just-brutally-horrible

My life has been amazing since.

killramos
04-29-2019, 12:12 PM
That's too ridiculous to be true, isn't it? It's not like I bought a VanoSponic TV and I'm trying to find a Coleco Vision app. Sony is a massive player in smart TVs and the PS4 is a massive player in consoles that are often connected to un-smart TVs to bridge the app gap.
How much can they hate money to exclude that much of their potential market and what is motivating them to do this? It's owned by Bell. Since when do they have a beef with Sony?

Like the next post mentions, I'm glad I didn't prepay for the year and I think I'll shut this off after I get my full of Letterkenny.

Not sure what to tell you man. The Xbox app has even received major updates and active development. Whole new UI was rolled out a few months ago.

Works on chrome cast, apple TVs new and old. Amazon FireTV coming soon.

Ask Sony why there isn’t an app?

I’m probably going to “cancel” my Crave and sign up through Shaw instead so it works on my Bluesky system.

trieu
04-30-2019, 10:14 PM

Do you pay for all the porn you watch or do you stream it?

Gman.45
05-01-2019, 02:08 AM
Is Crave still 720p only, or have they got 4k, or at least 1080p working yet? Those of us using HTPC and streaming to our TVs got very shit resolution last time I tried Crave. Only Apple/IOS and some Android apps would go to 1080p, and 4k is nowhere to be seen. Unacceptable these days IMO, as I don't want to get yet another device (Apple TV or a Fire stick) when I have everything else/apps/etc on my HTPCs. Unless you have a Samsung TV, Apple TV, Firestick, or are watching on an Ipad and certain Android devices(It think this is all of the options still, might be missing 1), you're stuck with 720p right now. All of Netflix's content is at least 1080p, or their "Super HD", and their 4k content is growing. Same with Amazon Prime, it's all 1080p iRRC, with some 4k available as well (not with browser streaming, but in pretty much all Smart TVs apps). WTF is with Crave and this 720P BS still, I don't get it...

schocker
05-01-2019, 09:10 AM
I am still waiting for a shield tv app.
More devices now support 1080p and they added chromecast support

1080p - 2.6GB/hour (iOS, Android, Chromecast, Apple TV Generation 4, Apple TV Generation 3, Samsung TV and Amazon FireTV only)
I don't really care about 4k currently as what do they have that would even broadcast in UHD? HBO as far as I know, has no 4k unless you buy the blurays.

Brent.ff
05-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Yet somehow their web is still only 720?