PDA

View Full Version : Least bad tasting Stevia sweetener

Hero_X
11-23-2018, 09:08 PM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a Stevia sweetener that doesn't have a crazy bitter after taste. I've tried sweet leaf and it's ok, but still has that bitter after taste. I mostly use Stevia for my coffee, otherwise not much.

Which stevia version would you recommend?

ExtraSlow
11-23-2018, 09:12 PM
I'd reccomend better coffee.

Hero_X
11-23-2018, 09:22 PM
Well. I like coffee with sweet taste so... coffee alone won't solve this lol

max_boost
11-23-2018, 09:51 PM
Can't stand the taste of it anymore lol need the real thing

ExtraSlow
11-23-2018, 09:59 PM
I used to need sugar and cream inmy coffee, but once I went to grinding my own (cheap) beans fresh for each cup, I have no problem drinking it black. Shitty coffee I still need sugar and cream.

ianmcc
11-23-2018, 11:04 PM
Hate the Stevia.
Splenda and 35% whipping cream all the way.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-23-2018, 11:32 PM
I prefer black most days, but if I need a sweeter edge to it, I use splenda rather than stevia. As long as I don't put too much in, it's not that awful chemical taste.

jdmXSI
11-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Try honey, its natural and if you buy local honey it can also help with seasonal allergies

bourge73
11-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Palm Sugar FTW

A790
11-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Freshly ground espresso + inexpensive cappuccino machine = fuck sweetener.

duaner
11-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Freshly ground, French press, and 35% whipping cream. Sweetener just makes it so gross now.

ExtraSlow
11-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Freshly ground makes a huge difference.

duaner
11-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Freshly ground makes a huge difference.

Agree, as does French press. We brought out the drop machine a few months back (to make more and for the convenience), used the same coffee we had been using, and it was significantly more bitter. We tried it a second time just to make sure and we haven't used it since.

Just need to get a larger, double-walled stainless steel French press. Sometimes two cups at a time just isn't enough.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Agree, as does French press. We brought out the drop machine a few months back (to make more and for the convenience), used the same coffee we had been using, and it was significantly more bitter. We tried it a second time just to make sure and we haven't used it since.

Just need to get a larger, double-walled stainless steel French press. Sometimes two cups at a time just isn't enough.

I have the opposite issue. My french press makes it incredibly bitter.

Matty_10
11-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Does it have to be stevia? If not I’d recommend Krisda which is a blend of erythirtol and monk fruit. Can find it at superstore usually. I switched from sucralose to Splenda to Krisda and next will be no sweetener, slowly weening myself off.

Misterman
11-26-2018, 07:10 AM
I have the opposite issue. My french press makes it incredibly bitter.

You might be leaving it too long and burning it. Technically you're supposed to transfer your coffee out of the French press after a specified time that gives the flavor you want, because the beans continue to "cook" the longer they stay in that hot water.

Does it have to be stevia? If not I’d recommend Krisda which is a blend of erythirtol and monk fruit. Can find it at superstore usually. I switched from sucralose to Splenda to Krisda and next will be no sweetener, slowly weening myself off.

Splenda is just a brand name of Sucralose, you wouldn't be able to switch. OP, any reason for using Stevia? You can't avoid the taste of Stevia if you want to use Stevia. It's bitter, that's just the way it is. Sucralose is essentially identical flavor to sugar. Hands down the best sweetener out there.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-26-2018, 07:36 AM
More likely, I was also heating the water too hot. I find the drip coffee maker a little more ezmode.

Hero_X
11-26-2018, 10:48 PM
Freshly ground espresso + inexpensive cappuccino machine = fuck sweetener.

which beans do you use?

I usually use the "espresso blend" beans from starbucks/kirkland from Costco. I do enjoy them in French press, and was trying to use them in espresso maker.

bitter af

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-27-2018, 07:32 AM
which beans do you use?

I usually use the "espresso blend" beans from starbucks/kirkland from Costco. I do enjoy them in French press, and was trying to use them in espresso maker.

bitter af

Are you grinding them much finer? Try using fresher beans, like Rosso.

Xtrema
11-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Are you doing Stevia because of caloric or diabetic concerns? Nothing is better than real sugar.

max_boost
11-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Nothing is better than real sugar.

Bingo lol

Misterman
11-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Are you doing Stevia because of caloric or diabetic concerns? Nothing is better than real sugar.

Sucralose gives identical flavor, but no blood sugar swings. Personally I would say that's better than real sugar.

J-hop
11-27-2018, 05:30 PM
Sucralose gives identical flavor, but no blood sugar swings. Personally I would say that's better than real sugar.

In b4 someone tries to claim artificial sweeteners cause insulin release because your taste buds “send a signal”.

Anyways, not an artificial sweetener but I’ve started trying bullet proof style coffee (with coconut oil). The purpose was to try out its claims that it helps time release caffeine as supposedly the caffeine bonds to the MCT (I think) and allows it to pass through the stomach.

I haven’t read the research on this to see if it has any truth but I did notice as a side effect (for me at least) it does seem to take the edge off the acidity of my crappy keurig coffee if that’s what is bothering you might be worth a try.

jdmXSI
11-27-2018, 06:43 PM
you should give the beans from either analog or Monogram a shot. Do you guys use a burr or blade grinders?

J-hop
11-27-2018, 07:38 PM
you should give the beans from either analog or Monogram a shot. Do you guys use a burr or blade grinders?

I have a burr but hardly use it, I find freshly ground vs preground is such a small uplift it’s not worth my time haha. Plus my grinder doesn’t go fine enough so for flavourful coffee I just buy doncafe preground

Hero_X
11-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Both.

The other sweeteners cause spike in sugar level. Despite being "no calorie sweeteners"

J-hop
11-27-2018, 08:38 PM

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-27-2018, 09:01 PM

I have a blade, and 2 burr. I only use the burr now.

Misterman
11-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Both.

The other sweeteners cause spike in sugar level. Despite being "no calorie sweeteners"

As in you have measured this with blood glucose meter? How much sweetener are you using? 0 calorie is a bit of a misnomer in the food industry, because anything that has .9g or less per serving size can be labeled as 0g. This still shouldn't cause an issue though unless someone is using a lot. Or if you're doing a keto diet, those extra few carbohydrate calories that you don't account for can be enough to push you out of ketosis by just a bit.

ExtraSlow
11-28-2018, 09:17 AM
As in you have measured this with blood glucose meter? How much sweetener are you using? 0 calorie is a bit of a misnomer in the food industry, because anything that has .9g or less per serving size can be labeled as 0g.
Like tic tacs. Basically pure sugar, but also zero sugar.

J-hop
11-28-2018, 10:18 AM
There are also a ton of myths that have been debunked about many artificial sweeteners causing blood sugar spikes or insulin responses so also be careful what you believe. Some people still believe aspartame causes an insulin response because your taste buds send a signal sugar is coming down the pipe. That’s horseshit

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2018, 10:38 AM

Some light coffees actually have a very sweet taste to them, with lots of 'fruity' tones. It's not going to taste like it's full of sugar, but they aren't bitter at all.

Also for just about any coffee, if you make it properly it shouldn't be bitter.

killramos
11-28-2018, 10:40 AM
If you are just making regular coffee maybe try not buying espresso blend? A lighter roast might be better for you?

I have nothing to add on sweeteners.

J-hop
11-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Also for just about any coffee, if you make it properly it shouldn't be bitter.

That’s what I keep telling starbucks haha.

Half their drip coffees are disgusting at their locations. I think most of their patrons don’t drink coffee black so they can get away with it. God pike place tastes like expired nabob

msommers
11-28-2018, 10:47 AM
There was a recent article about sugar substitutes that stated you should really just be using sugar as it's "healthier." IIRC, the article stated it was previously thought that metabolites from artificial sweeteners were passed through the body but the research indicated that isn't exactly true, and they can build up over time making things worse than if you had been using sugar all along. Of course refined sugar is having it's own awakening, highlighting how shit it is for you.

I'll try to track down the article.

Mitsu3000gt
11-28-2018, 10:51 AM
That’s what I keep telling starbucks haha.

Half their drip coffees are disgusting at their locations. I think most of their patrons don’t drink coffee black so they can get away with it. God pike place tastes like expired nabob

Starbucks is indeed disgusting - they also roast/burn the crap out of their beans to give them longer shelf lives because the more bitter it is, people can't tell how stale/not fresh it is.

I wish they had a 'premium brew' or something that was at least half decent and fresh.

JordanEG6
11-28-2018, 01:33 PM
Most Stevia has a gross after taste.

But the one I use is Herbal Select. I don't find the after taste that bad.

Hero_X
11-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Most Stevia has a gross after taste.

But the one I use is Herbal Select. I don't find the after taste that bad.

Can u get this locally?

JordanEG6
11-28-2018, 04:52 PM
Can u get this locally?

Save On Foods is where I get mine. At least the Seton location has them.