PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover Autobiographies

ExtraSlow
12-10-2018, 10:42 AM
I've told this story before, but it fits here too. Was at a party once, and the lady of the house was really proud of her new RR Autobiography Edition. She mentioned that it was an Autobiography Edition like ten times. So we all went out to the garage to look at it, and since I'm not A RR guy, I asked her what it had over the base model. "I'm not sure, but I know it was the most expensive one, so it must be the best". Yep, that about sums up RR owners.

Hallowed_point
12-10-2018, 06:16 PM
I shake my head whenever someone gloats over their RR. Wait till the first break down/service bill. That's right, back to the Jeep Cherokee Becky.

J-hop
12-10-2018, 06:23 PM
I shake my head whenever someone gloats over their RR. Wait till the first break down/service bill. That's right, back to the Jeep Cherokee Becky.

Guess it depends, if someone has the cash to buy a RR then they can gloat all they want in my books.

If they finance their shirt off to own one I agree with you.

Thaco
12-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Guess it depends, if someone has the cash to buy a RR then they can gloat all they want in my books.

If they finance their shirt off to own one I agree with you.

Nobody cash buys an RR, they finance it for status. Or perceived status.... anybody with that kind of cash buys a real vehicle

nismodrifter
12-11-2018, 01:10 AM
Nobody cash buys an RR, they finance it for status. Or perceived status.... anybody with that kind of cash buys a real vehicle

Except out here in YVR, where RR Autobiographies are the equivalent of a Honda CRV, curbed/wrecked/smashed/scuffed/banged/raced/used as bumper cars, and then tossed aside haha. The best part is, most are optioned BALLS OUT, 2 tone exteriors etc, and overall are kept in totally shit condition. Saw 3 within a few minutes apart today, all being driven without any regard for lanes/traffic laws. Just hilarious to watch.

killramos
12-11-2018, 08:08 AM
I know lots of people who have bought RR’s in cash.

People with money don’t care nearly as much as you think they do lol, if they want it they buy it. No different than buying a corrola if you have real money.

shakalaka
12-11-2018, 08:29 AM
My dad is on his 3 RR and 2 of them were Sport Autobiography's with the current one being full size Autobiography. I really don't understand the bad rep they get about reliability as we haven't had any issues with any of them. The first one was kept the longest and perhaps after about 6-7 years it started throwing codes of various parts failing but I would think that's normal after that long. That being said, it had relatively low mileage when issues started to occur but still 6-7 years after. My dad drives like..well a dad so they don't really get beat on and it's usually me that drives them a little 'spiritedly'. I don't mind them personally and the current one is my favourite (2 tone) but if I was spending $165K or so on a SUV, it'd be REALLY hard for me to not just go for a G63 AMG. But of course that's a personal choice as my dad hated the G Wagon when I took him to check it out this time before he purchased a 3rd RR. Was hoping that he'd go for the G but he wasn't having any of it.

bjstare
12-11-2018, 09:07 AM

There are two different RR markets. You are talking about the people who buy used RRs. As for the people who buy them new... well you clearly don't know anyone that has done it, otherwise you probably wouldn't say this.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2018, 03:24 PM
I'd like it known for the record I didn't start a thread to tell that old story, it was split by some moderator.
I start a bunch of useless threads, but not this one. :whocares::goflames::werd::goflames::goflames::goflames::whocares:

rage2
12-11-2018, 03:38 PM
I don't believe you.

Great story bro.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2018, 03:48 PM
That's it, I'm starting a nasty rumor about you bro. :drama:

Shlade
12-11-2018, 03:51 PM
I’m pretty sure the only logical thing to do with a Range Rover is lease it, then change it for another one before anything catastrophic and expensive happens lol

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2018, 04:36 PM
I’m pretty sure the only logical thing to do with a Range Rover is lease it, then change it for another one before anything catastrophic and expensive happens lol

I remember someone on here saying parts were a nightmare to get from the UK so if you end up in the shop you can be waiting a log time, but I don't know if there is any truth to that. I wouldn't touch one outside of warranty/lease if I was in the market.

I also wouldn't say 'various' part failures and error codes after only 6-7 years is normal, but that reinforces the idea that you probably don't want to own one outside warranty.

They sure do look good though.

Hallowed_point
12-11-2018, 05:41 PM
I’m pretty sure the only logical thing to do with a Range Rover is lease it, then change it for another one before anything catastrophic and expensive happens lol :thumbsup:

BavarianBeast
12-11-2018, 06:13 PM
RR is the car of choice for entitled trophy wives

Hallowed_point
12-11-2018, 06:16 PM
RR is the car of choice for entitled trophy wives So true. Or a Denali/Escalade. White with chrome trim.

speedog
12-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Could I be someone's entitled trophy wife?

KPHMPH
12-11-2018, 07:08 PM
I’m all about the full sized RR but I just can’t justify the price.

On a side not the G63 was god awful until the FINALLY did the interior redesign - would fully own one of those now.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2018, 07:10 PM

***pokes head up***

BavarianBeast
12-11-2018, 07:15 PM

I don't see why not speedog. We'll get you a spray tan, bleach you hair, some dental implants, bolt ons, and a RR. I'm sure you'll find a sugar daddy in no time. Just remember that you are the best there is and you have no regard for the peasants you gotta share air with.

shakalaka
12-11-2018, 07:34 PM
I remember someone on here saying parts were a nightmare to get from the UK so if you end up in the shop you can be waiting a log time, but I don't know if there is any truth to that. I wouldn't touch one outside of warranty/lease if I was in the market.

I also wouldn't say 'various' part failures and error codes after only 6-7 years is normal, but that reinforces the idea that you probably don't want to own one outside warranty.

They sure do look good though.

The first part is true for most import vehicles I feel.

Just 2 weeks ago my 545 starts throwing 'low coolant level' signs and I take it to the dealer. They keep it there for a day and half and tell me that BMW Canada has finally gotten back to them and that I will need a new turbocharger but since it is backordered and comes from Germany it could be a few weeks. They gave me back my car and said we have topped up the coolant until then and it's an extremely slow coolant leak/burn you are okay to drive it around. If it happens again right away or something please let us know but the foreman says you're good to go.

So for a vehicle that's not necessarily high-end and relatively common, they still have to get the parts in from Germany. So I don't know I think that whole thing is a hit and miss with any import vehicle.

I do agree with not wanting to own these out of warranty/lease. I feel that is true not just for RR's but all high-end vehicles for me. That being said, it won't stop me from buying something I really want if I can only afford it used and when it is out of warranty.

Shlade
12-11-2018, 07:34 PM

I’d have to put Cherokee SRT8’s up there too. Rarely do I see guys driving them lol

BensonTT
12-11-2018, 10:11 PM
The new Range Rover is pretty dope. I would take that over the 19 BMW X5 lol

J-hop
12-12-2018, 06:36 PM
The new Range Rover is pretty dope. I would take that over the 19 BMW X5 lol

Maybe I’m biased but that seems like a low ass bar

C4S
12-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Anyway .. when I see a Range Rover .. I always turn my head, high chance to see how chicks in it! (usually not the newest/latest one, but few yr old .. ) opposite to MB SUV ...

:angel::angel:

tcon
12-13-2018, 11:52 PM
I prefer the Range Rover Documentary

The Cosworth
12-14-2018, 08:03 AM

With their leasing programs this is very true. No matter the lease program you get (km, etc) if you lease another RR at the end they waive any of the penalties. Friend picked one up a few months ago and that's what she did. Still $1400 a month on the lease or something nutty though.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Still $1400 a month on the lease or something nutty though.Fornicating purgatory! That's basically what my mortgage is.

shakalaka
12-14-2018, 09:03 AM
With their leasing programs this is very true. No matter the lease program you get (km, etc) if you lease another RR at the end they waive any of the penalties. Friend picked one up a few months ago and that's what she did. Still $1400 a month on the lease or something nutty though.

Pretty much all luxury dealers offer that, including BMW - to me at least. As long as you keep buying from them they will waive all fees and over loyalty discounts. I am sure probably all makes offer something like that. And it's probably the base RR's that are $1400 or close a month or Velar's or Evoque's or something, the top of the line RR Auto like the OP is talking about is in the $2500 or so per month category. Leasebusters is always a good way of getting a rough idea of what sort of lease you can get, depending on what's up there.

Here's a Sport SVR which is actually a bit cheaper than the full size Auto I believe but still up there in $.

https://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=267564

Here's a full size supercharged but not Autobiography..

https://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=269951

The Cosworth
12-14-2018, 10:13 AM
And it's probably the base RR's that are $1400 or close a month or Velar's or Evoque's or something, the top of the line RR Auto like the OP is talking about is in the $2500 or so per month category.

Her's is a 'base' Range Rover.

killramos
12-14-2018, 10:18 AM
I always liked the LR4, I don’t really care about the posh aspects. But legendary off road ability is something I find interesting.

And they weren’t bad to look at at all.

The Range Rover line has never had that much appeal to me. Especially considering the bump in cost. Maybe if I had unlimited money it would make a good winter beater.

16hypen3sp
12-14-2018, 10:19 AM
My youngest brother has a RR Autobiography. He's in his mid twenties. Routinely gets asked for cocaine.

shakalaka
12-14-2018, 11:55 AM
I always liked the LR4, I don’t really care about the posh aspects. But legendary off road ability is something I find interesting.

And they weren’t bad to look at at all.

The Range Rover line has never had that much appeal to me. Especially considering the bump in cost. Maybe if I had unlimited money it would make a good winter beater.

If I ever have (or rather, when I have - positive reinforcements) 'unlimited' money, G63 is going to be my winter beater.

- - - Updated - - -

My youngest brother has a RR Autobiography. He's in his mid twenties. Routinely gets asked for cocaine.

Beyond discount? lol

ercchry
12-14-2018, 11:59 AM
I’d probably go G500 4x4 over G63 for a winter beater

killramos
12-14-2018, 12:07 PM
I really want a G class even in a non unlimited money situation lol

shakalaka
12-14-2018, 12:28 PM
I’d probably go G500 4x4 over G63 for a winter beater

Lonestar has one for $300K. I don't see how you can fit everywhere on public roads driving them. They are pretty badass tho, I will get one when I have Dubai money.

https://www.mercedes-benz-lonestarcalgary.ca/inventory/used/2017-mercedes-benz-g-class-calgary-alberta/16335383

Edit: Or do you mean the regular G that is one below G63?

I really want a G class even in a non unlimited money situation lol

Yup. It's going down at some point.

VWEvo
12-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Ive owned 3 Range Rovers. They are easily one of the best cars I've ever owned. Not sure why the hate and the BS about them being unreliable. I would easily buy another and probably will at some point. I think Jealousy is at play here.

andyg16
12-14-2018, 12:41 PM
VWEvo..how do you like the Navigator compared to the RR?

ercchry
12-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Lonestar has one for $300K. I don't see how you can fit everywhere on public roads driving them. They are pretty badass tho, I will get one when I have Dubai money.

https://www.mercedes-benz-lonestarcalgary.ca/inventory/used/2017-mercedes-benz-g-class-calgary-alberta/16335383

Edit: Or do you mean the regular G that is one below G63?

Yup. It's going down at some point.

No, no... that’s the one! We said unlimited funds! Haha

Dubai money means 6x6 time!

Rocket1k78
12-14-2018, 02:07 PM

I was beside that exact G wagon last week on john laurie, it was huge compared to my f150. The color was very intense but i loved it

I think Jealousy is at play here.

100% agreed. Its the norm to shit on things you cant afford lol

killramos
12-14-2018, 02:08 PM
^ that’s been Hallowed’s schtick for years lol

ExtraSlow
12-14-2018, 02:15 PM
And it's why I hate everything.

VWEvo
12-14-2018, 02:32 PM
VWEvo..how do you like the Navigator compared to the RR?

The Navigator is awesome. But its comparing apples to oranges. The RR is more refined and drives better. The fit and finish are also alot better on the Range Rover. The Navigator drives alot more like a truck (which it obviously is). That being said, I always loved the way my truck drove, so the size and feel of the Navigator suite me great right now. I have 3 kids so having a spacious 7 seater is a priority for me. When it isn't i'll likely look at a Range Rover again, albeit a used one next time.