PDA

View Full Version : Robot vacuum - which do you use?

nagooro
12-26-2018, 10:20 PM
Just bought a Roomba 980 and Eufy 11s to try out..wondering which one's you guys use and if you like them.

lilmira
12-26-2018, 11:39 PM
I had the 980 for a year now and love it. The right wheel died on me about several weeks ago and they send me a new one. It's pretty easy to replace and it's not even that expensive if I had to buy it. Mine is on schedule clean twice a week normally and 3 times a week when the doggie blows out. I don't care much about the auto-emptying of the new i7 but the new room mapping is nice.

AndyL
12-27-2018, 10:04 AM
I have an old 5 series upgraded via 3d printer and esp32 addition.

I am working on a tracked version with a cyclonic filter that'll work better on my dog hair scenario than the Roomba that I can add features to that the Roomba won't accommodate

revelations
12-27-2018, 10:27 AM
We got a Bissell Smart clean last winter and its been amazing. Drop off detection works great so it wont go down stairs and just needs one blocker in our house.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bissell-SmartClean-1605-Vacuum-Cleaning/dp/B0126C99PQ

eblend
12-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Good thread. The i7 is the only one I would consider because I don't want to empty the damn thing all the time by myself, but the requirement for bags (at $5 a pop) is a huge turn off, so I will wait until other brands come out with something similar, and bag free. The Shark Ion cleaning system with that secondary handle vac seems good, but they should have really used the handle vac to empty the robot vac, could have hit two birds with one stone.

lamp_shade_2000
12-27-2018, 02:49 PM
I've been using a Dyson 360 for the last year roughly. Works well for us.

macman64
12-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Deebot n79. Works great and a fraction of the price when on sale, we paid $290.

Skrilla
12-27-2018, 05:47 PM
My wife and I started looking into these but I can't decide between the 960 and the 980. Read a lot of reviews and I am not sure the extra cost is worth it. Same camera, nav and app system on both, and 75min runtime should be plenty for my upstairs. Only have hardwood on the main level so the carpet booster seems wasted. Its only $200 difference, but seems wasted in my application. They sure have come along way though, and I love the wifi mode and cleaning maps.

hurrdurr
12-27-2018, 06:20 PM
I had a deebot n81 pro. It was great but died just before warranty was up. They replaced it with a deebot 901.

It lacks many features like being able to control remotely however you can set up digital barriers (works 50% of the time) and see where it has vacuumed or watch where it is vacuuming from the app.

It also gives push notifications if it’s off the floor or has issues. You have to Manually correct however instead of being able to take control from the app

Sugarphreak
12-28-2018, 12:25 AM

eblend
12-28-2018, 11:00 AM
My wife and I started looking into these but I can't decide between the 960 and the 980. Read a lot of reviews and I am not sure the extra cost is worth it. Same camera, nav and app system on both, and 75min runtime should be plenty for my upstairs. Only have hardwood on the main level so the carpet booster seems wasted. Its only $200 difference, but seems wasted in my application. They sure have come along way though, and I love the wifi mode and cleaning maps.

The 980 is on sale until Jan 3rd for $799, perhaps that will make it easier to make that decision...the 960 is on sale as well though..so the struggle is real.

I was going to buy the 980...but then the i7 came out...and 980 is a few years old now...so it's buying old tech now..so i will just wait it out myself and see. The small bin on all of these robot vacs is a big turn off.

chongkee_
12-28-2018, 11:11 AM
The 980 is on sale until Jan 3rd for $799, perhaps that will make it easier to make that decision...the 960 is on sale as well though..so the struggle is real.

I was going to buy the 980...but then the i7 came out...and 980 is a few years old now...so it's buying old tech now..so i will just wait it out myself and see. The small bin on all of these robot vacs is a big turn off.

I'm currently waiting on an i7 sale but without the bin. I can live without the self emptying feature I just wanted the i7 over the 980 so I can clean each room individually without having to have multiple virtual walls.

eblend
12-28-2018, 02:59 PM
I'm currently waiting on an i7 sale but without the bin. I can live without the self emptying feature I just wanted the i7 over the 980 so I can clean each room individually without having to have multiple virtual walls.

After watching this video...I am not sure wtf is up with the i7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvLyKkTGXc

holden
12-28-2018, 03:03 PM
I almost bought a 980 a week ago seeing as they are down to $800 (actually they flashed at $760 yesterday). Then I started looking at the DEEBOT N79S at $330. I just can't tell if the Roomba is worth 2.5x more?

eblend
12-28-2018, 03:37 PM
I almost bought a 980 a week ago seeing as they are down to $800 (actually they flashed at $760 yesterday). Then I started looking at the DEEBOT N79S at $330. I just can't tell if the Roomba is worth 2.5x more?

I looked at a few different brands and almost pulled the trigger as well, but at the end of the day I never did. I am strongly thinking about the 980 right now after reading this review vs the i7 https://robotbox.net/roomba-i7-vs-roomba-980/ The much reduced battery on the i7 is surprising.

I think all other brands use normal brushes like a standard vac, but the higher end Roomba use these rubber rollers, apparently they work better and don't get hair tangled up in them. My worry is always reading the reviews and seeing (worked great...for 3 month..then no support). Seen these types of reviews a bunch of times which turns me off from lesser known Chinese brands. There are good youtube videos showing different robovacs and their performance, and looking at some of the navigation videos is really eye opening. Lots of cheap brands (including cheap Roombas) just run around and bump into things without rhyme or reason.

redevil
12-28-2018, 03:49 PM
Bought my wife a Roomba 677 with the wifi and one virtual wall from Costco. It has been great to use on the main floor with hardwood. We have two cats and 2 kids 7 and 4 so lots of crumbs and cat hair around. We have been really impressed with what it can do even after Christmas dinner with lots of other kids and adults making a mess on the floor. Nice to see it working as I was very skeptical about getting one due to the cost when we have a great central vac system in the house as well. I now see the appeal with these robot vacuums. Still not sure about spending on the higher models that are double in price but for what I got this for I would definitely recommend it. Best Christmas gift for the wife/family ever....:thumbsup:

jwslam
01-17-2019, 09:40 AM
$50 coupon on this one, plus 8% ebates now. I have no personal experience with it though.
https://www.amazon.ca/ILIFE-Robotic-Automatically-Sweeping-Cleaning/dp/B06XD17JQN/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=robot+vacuum&qid=1547738976&sr=8-6

schocker
01-17-2019, 10:56 AM
I saw this video on reddit:
1-r2EOMJchU
After this I am going to look at a Neato.

nagooro
01-17-2019, 11:48 AM
So far i'm pretty impressed with the roomba 980, the amount it picks up and the way it navigates around a floor/room is better than I expected.

Ill do a proper comparison next week. Let the roomba 980 and Eufy 11s vacuum the neglected basement for 30min, see how much they collect. Then I'll go over the area with my upright vacuum (shark navigator) and see what leftovers that picks up. Expecting the Roomba to out perform it, but we'll see if its worth the $600 difference.

tonytiger55
01-17-2019, 04:30 PM
I looked at a few different brands and almost pulled the trigger as well, but at the end of the day I never did. I am strongly thinking about the 980 right now after reading this review vs the i7 https://robotbox.net/roomba-i7-vs-roomba-980/ The much reduced battery on the i7 is surprising.

I think all other brands use normal brushes like a standard vac, but the higher end Roomba use these rubber rollers, apparently they work better and don't get hair tangled up in them. My worry is always reading the reviews and seeing (worked great...for 3 month..then no support). Seen these types of reviews a bunch of times which turns me off from lesser known Chinese brands. There are good youtube videos showing different robovacs and their performance, and looking at some of the navigation videos is really eye opening. Lots of cheap brands (including cheap Roombas) just run around and bump into things without rhyme or reason.

Im looking at that Roomba too. Inn particular the floor mapping.

The_Penguin
01-17-2019, 09:39 PM

I think all other brands use normal brushes like a standard vac, but the higher end Roomba use these rubber rollers, apparently they work better and don't get hair tangled up in them..

We had the original Roomba, now the 980. The 980 is so much better. The rubber rollers are great, but hair does still get wound around the end shafts and in the bearing of the front wheel, have to remove them and get the hair out about every 3 runs give or take. We have 2 Golden Retrievers, so much more hair than most homes, and it's actually pretty amazing how much hair gets compacted into the bin.
There's one place where it regularly gets stuck, I'm surprised it hasn't figured that out. Would be nice to select that area on the map as a no-go. Can use one of the whatever-you-call-em units to get it to avoid the area, provided they don't get knocked over/retrieved.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2019, 02:01 PM

BavarianBeast
01-18-2019, 03:11 PM
I e got the roomba iRobot. Works great. Only complaint is it sometimes gets stuck under the couch.

AndyL
01-18-2019, 05:35 PM
I e got the roomba iRobot. Works great. Only complaint is it sometimes gets stuck under the couch.

I printed top and bottom bumpers to protect from getting stuck under couch and on top of the speaker bases and kitchen chairs. Need some? Lol

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1756175
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20435

nagooro
01-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Ran the Eufy (auto mode) and Roomba in part of the basement (~400sqft) for 45min, then went over it all with my up-right vacuum. Roomba picked up probably ~3x more than the Eufy, Up-right picked up a bit less than the Eufy. Not a fan of how the Eufy just goes around like a pinball, missing some spots and hitting others multiple times. The Roomba actually has some pattern to it.

Might try another room with Eufy in full suction mode, but I'll likely be returning the Eufy and keeping the Roomba, IMO its worth the extra money.

Few pics below. Paths, how much was picked up, roomba mapping.

https://imgur.com/a/K210Q0q

speedog
01-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Does anyone in this thread that owns a robotic vacuum own a dog or cat? If so, are your animals allowed to be in the same space when your vacuum does it's thing? Better yet, is the animal/vacuum scenario allowed to occur with no human at home?

The_Penguin
01-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Does anyone in this thread that owns a robotic vacuum own a dog or cat? If so, are your animals allowed to be in the same space when your vacuum does it's thing? Better yet, is the animal/vacuum scenario allowed to occur with no human at home?

Yeah, no problems. My dogs don't like it that much, but they'll just get up and move if it comes near them where they're sleeping. Now if we had a puppy that wasn't fully house-trained we wouldn't run it unattended. Can't imagine a Roomba running over a fresh poop. (yes I've seen Youtube videos, yecch)

tonytiger55
01-26-2019, 11:14 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc

AndyL
01-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Mine has learned to Houdini from his kennel... It's a loosing battle. Dental visits to vets and crates are expensive.

The puppy accident and timer start was the worst though.

lilmira
01-26-2019, 12:16 PM
not sure about cats, my dog learned to ignore the robot overlord pretty quick.

jwslam
09-15-2020, 04:52 PM
I ordered some filters from AliExpress but got the wrong size

These are 4 1/4 x 2 x 3/8 inches
Set of 5
Pick up for free if they fit your vacuum

redmethods
11-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Bump
I'm thinking about getting a robo vacuum cleaner around christmas time. Just wondering if anyone had experiences with Roborock or Ecovacs Deebot vacuums? They seems to have better reviews than iRobot Roomba.

ganesh
08-13-2021, 05:32 PM
Bump
Thinking of getting the Roomba S9+. Any one had any experience with it and if so can you share your feed back please?
We have two dogs and they shed. We will only use this in the main floor and pretty much it is all hardwood except couple of shag area rugs.

killramos
08-13-2021, 05:35 PM
Roomba essentially won’t work at all with shag. It will either jam up, won’t be able to climb it, or will just generically get stuck on it. We literally replaced with a low pile in the living room because of it ( also shag + animals = gross ).

I have an e5 and really like it, would really like to get a newer one with the smarter navigation and a Dust big to minimize my need to interact with it. I also really like my braava because who likes mopping.

Imo shedding dogs is a PERFECT use case for a roomba. It’s my wife’s hair that fucks it up way more.

ganesh
08-13-2021, 05:39 PM
Roomba essentially won’t work at all with shag. It will either jam up, won’t be able to climb it, or will just generically get stuck on it. We literally replaced with a low pile in the living room because of it ( also shag + animals = gross ).

I have an e5 and really like it, would really like to get a newer one with the smarter navigation and a Dust big to minimize my need to interact with it. I also really like my braava because who likes mopping.

Imo shedding dogs is a PERFECT use case for a roomba. It’s my wife’s hair that fucks it up way more.

Can't you map it to not to vacuum the Shag carpet area?

killramos
08-13-2021, 05:43 PM
I think so, my e5 isn’t that smart but the S9+ should be.

But I also refer back to my pet hair plus shag comment, if you have to pull out the upright anyway on the regular it starts to defeat the purpose of getting a robot to do it.

ganesh
08-13-2021, 05:49 PM
I think so, my e5 isn’t that smart but the S9+ should be.

But I also refer back to my pet hair plus shag comment, if you have to pull out the upright anyway on the regular it starts to defeat the purpose of getting a robot to do it.

Fair Enough.
May be I should have given little bit more info on my post. S9+ won't be a replacement for the Vacuum. S9 will be used for daily sweeping of the floor and we will still use the central vac (2 to 3 times a week) for more deep cleaning.

killramos
08-13-2021, 05:50 PM
Should work great for you. My e5 does a great job, and the S9 should only be better in every way.

ExtraSlow
08-13-2021, 06:01 PM
Central vac 2-3 times per week PLUS robot vacuum? Holy fuck guise.

killramos
08-13-2021, 06:06 PM

If my wife was willing to do that I sure as hell wouldn’t complain.

ganesh
08-13-2021, 06:10 PM

Don't get fooled by the frequency

?????
08-13-2021, 09:38 PM
Can't you map it to not to vacuum the Shag carpet area?

We have a i7 and you can map and add the Shag area as a no go zone. That's what I had to do.

I tried to map and vacuum at the same time but it wasn't able to go over the Shag rug.
I had to re-map with the mapping run only so that the rollers and vacuum isn't running. This way I was able to map our entire living area.

nagooro
08-14-2021, 04:39 AM
We have a i7 and you can map and add the Shag area as a no go zone. That's what I had to do.

I tried to map and vacuum at the same time but it wasn't able to go over the Shag rug.
I had to re-map with the mapping run only so that the rollers and vacuum isn't running. This way I was able to map our entire living area.

Is the mapping + no go zone pretty accurate? Or will it still sometimes try and go onto the rug a bit?

ganesh
08-14-2021, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info.
I will give S9+ a try

ExtraSlow
12-07-2021, 12:08 PM
Saw an advert for the "Shark AI VacMop" today. Had a cute dog in it. Vac and mop sounds good for hard floors.

Rocket1k78
12-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Saw an advert for the "Shark AI VacMop" today. Had a cute dog in it. Vac and mop sounds good for hard floors.

Not a robo vac but this has been a game changer for us https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bissell-crosswave-max-cordless-multi-surface-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner-0438243p.html#srp. The nice thing about this theres a clean function on the mop head which cleans it in the base. We stopped using our robovac within months of buying it because my kids cant keep their shit off the ground.

killramos
12-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Dunno if I previously recommended it or not.

But I withdraw any recommendation I have for the Braava M6 mop. It has clearly faulty design and poor build quality and just doesn’t function anymore. Useless piece of shit. ( Doesn’t charge, dock emits a high pitched constant beep from a blown capacitor or something, can’t undock itself because the wheels have worn down a half mm).

Aside from being on the old navigation system my Roomba E6 vac is great though. Would buy again.

Chester
12-08-2021, 04:17 PM
I have the Roomba i7+ and j7+. J7+ has better obstacle avoidance with the front mounted camera.

AndyL
02-02-2023, 10:36 PM
2nd days run of the iLife w400. Eww :barf:

Kinda wish I'd gotten the w450 but 126$ on warehouse deals - Scottish me won and I decided dumber was ok.

But it's finding all those places I wouldn't bother mopping - like behind the TV, I've vacuumed back there a couple times, but I sure as heck haven't mopped there :facepalm:

But it won't get itself over any of the floor transition strips in the house so it's definitely room by room clean. However it does a really good scrub.