PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Watch Servicing

Go4Long
12-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Didn't want to bump a thread from 2014.

I was not wearing my Hamilton for a while, and since I went back to wearing it I've noticed it's not as accurate as it used to be...is Joe formerly from sears still around somewhere? anyone have anywhere else that they go to get automatic watches serviced?

bourge73
12-29-2018, 12:55 PM

I was not wearing my Hamilton for a while, and since I went back to wearing it I've noticed it's not as accurate as it used to be...is Joe formerly from sears still around somewhere? anyone have anywhere else that they go to get automatic watches serviced?

Kong @ Kongs watch repair in china town my go to

tirebob
12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Kong @ Kongs watch repair in china town my go to

X2... Kong is my guy too

A790
12-29-2018, 01:23 PM
I just give 'em to Justin @ Gem :)

flipstah
12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
X2... Kong is my guy too

X3 Same

taemo
12-29-2018, 11:44 PM
X3 Same

x4

but also by how much is it innacurate?
if +/-30s or less, let it run for a month or two to see how it performs

canadian_hustla
12-30-2018, 09:48 AM
X5....Another one for Kong

BokCh0y
12-30-2018, 02:02 PM

They closed the sears and the watch store. Last time I was there right before they closed, they told me there were moving to their own location somewhere on macleod trail, but I can't remember where. I'll see if I can find the busines card for you when I get home.

Asian_defender
12-31-2018, 03:01 AM
I've had good service from both Kongs and City Time Watch
The guy at City Time Watch seemed to be more equipped so if you have a dive watch I would probably prefer going to City Time

BokCh0y
12-31-2018, 06:30 PM
I couldn't find the card @OP, sorry. I looked and I only have Joe's old Sears number, so not sure where he went to now.

Where is this Kong's place as I'll need a watchmaker sooner or later.....right now I've been brining my stuff to JVair for service.

flipstah
01-01-2019, 12:13 AM
I couldn't find the card @OP, sorry. I looked and I only have Joe's old Sears number, so not sure where he went to now.

Where is this Kong's place as I'll need a watchmaker sooner or later.....right now I've been brining my stuff to JVair for service.

Beside the TD Bank in Chinatown.

colsankey
01-02-2019, 03:03 PM
To totally piggyback on this:
For those who've had to send a watch off for service, how do you package it?

I've got a citizen eco-drive that's decided it just doesn't want to work anymore, only a year old so well within warranty. Citizen says that the packaging it arrives it will be discarded, so my original plan of sending it in it's box I received it in seems questionable. Should I strip out the packaging and send it in the box anyways, and hope for a like box in return, or is there a better way to mail it? I just don't want it damaged obviously, but not sure how to do that outside of a roll of bubble tape and a mailing envelope.

Asian_defender
01-02-2019, 03:08 PM
To totally piggyback on this:
For those who've had to send a watch off for service, how do you package it?

I've got a citizen eco-drive that's decided it just doesn't want to work anymore, only a year old so well within warranty. Citizen says that the packaging it arrives it will be discarded, so my original plan of sending it in it's box I received it in seems questionable. Should I strip out the packaging and send it in the box anyways, and hope for a like box in return, or is there a better way to mail it? I just don't want it damaged obviously, but not sure how to do that outside of a roll of bubble tape and a mailing envelope.

I just send it in those canada post envelops with the bubble wrap on the inside, sent in a Seiko for warranty like this. They sent it back bubble wrapped in a bubble wrap envelop

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2019, 08:06 AM
How often should you have them serviced?

JDC™
01-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Would you guys rely on Kong for expensive watches as well? Or more of a guy to do entry level stuff?

Asian_defender
01-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Would you guys rely on Kong for expensive watches as well? Or more of a guy to do entry level stuff?

Go to City Time, I find he's a little better for the higher end stuff. He'll be straight up about what he can and cannot do

BokCh0y
01-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Thansk dude @ flipstah

Justing
01-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Go4long, for your Hamilton I'd strongly consider having Swatch Group complete the work. Guarantee of original parts, plus one year of warranty on the repair. They'll replace all seals, stem and crown as well as chrono pushers.

statick
01-05-2019, 07:51 AM
How often should you have them serviced?

It depends on the model of watch and manufacturer. The general trend seems to be that manufacturers are increasing the recommended service interval. For example, Rolex used to say every five years, they’ve now changed this to five to ten years, along with increasing the factory warranty from two years to five years. Practically speaking, a lot of folks push this further still and apply the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality... but I don’t recommend this, at least with certain, more delicate, movements (I paid the iron price on a JLC, a number of years ago).

If you did want to go with a general rule for most mechanical watches, I’d say it’s every five to six years for higher maintenance pieces, and double that for something more robust.

JDC™
01-09-2019, 12:25 PM
I'll give City Time a look. Otherwise, anyone have recommendations for local servicing of a Sinn watch (with the cooper sulfate capsule)?

Pacman
01-11-2019, 01:37 PM
I'll give City Time a look. Otherwise, anyone have recommendations for local servicing of a Sinn watch (with the cooper sulfate capsule)?

It will have to go back to Sinn in Germany, or to Watchbuys in Pennsylvania (who are the only Sinn agent in North America) if you need a new capsule. For what it's worth, in the past with my Sinn watches with the capsule, I had it removed and ordered the screw from Sinn to replace it (on watches without the capsule where the case was drilled for one, they use a screw to fill the hole).