PDA

View Full Version : How to completely remove hydraulic oil spill from exposed aggregate?

cycosis
01-03-2019, 01:55 PM
I had a machine break down on a client's driveway which is exposed aggregate. It dumped a good amount of hydraulic oil.

Obviously we are liable and we need to clean it effectively. We have to be cautious though not to damage the sealing top coat.

What going to make this the least painful? Any suggestions are appreciated!

gyromonkey
01-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Call Ross @ RB Services he works wonders with driveways and all concrete. I use him at work a ton

Ross - 403-470-9279

PM me if you want more info
Ryan

mr2mike
01-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Need one of these!

https://www.reddit.com/r/specializedtools/comments/9u4xu4/concrete_cleaner/

revelations
01-04-2019, 11:24 AM
I've used Castrol Superclean (biodegradable, but dont let get into storm drain) with good results on various surfaces - however you might end up with a clean spot on the driveway afterwards ..... LOL

Also, never let it sit too long as it is highly corrosive/alkaline (cant recall which).

Try regular strength first, brush and wash off - if not then go to full strength.

mr2mike
01-04-2019, 09:08 PM
With the sealant coat this should come off without lots of effort, no?
Just scrubbing and degreaser.

cycosis
01-07-2019, 08:43 AM
With the sealant coat this should come off without lots of effort, no?
Just scrubbing and degreaser.

Tried dawn in a few spots with aggressive scrubbing and hot water rinse. Spots are still there :(

Lex350
01-07-2019, 08:46 AM
I usually just use Sunlight dish soap but I also reseal my driveway every two years so it doesn't penetrate.

ExtraSlow
01-14-2019, 01:11 PM
cycosis did you get this worked out?

cycosis
01-15-2019, 09:46 AM
I actually wont be able to address it until spring unfortunately at which point there will likely be damage :(

revelations
01-15-2019, 12:04 PM
I actually wont be able to address it until spring unfortunately at which point there will likely be damage :(

Why not melt the snow/ice off when it was + degrees? No issues working there.

Disoblige
08-18-2023, 06:29 PM
I usually just use Sunlight dish soap but I also reseal my driveway every two years so it doesn't penetrate.

Didnt want to create new thread but how much does a reseal of a driveway usually cost? Got quoted $1.09/sq ft so ~$600.

ThePenIsMightier
08-18-2023, 06:36 PM
Didnt want to create new thread but how much does a reseal of a driveway usually cost? Got quoted $1.09/sq ft so ~$600.

That's somewhat competitive. For driveways over 750 ft^2 you can touch $0.80/sq-ft.
I highly highly recommend Titan Coatings if you're in the South. Mine looks fucking spectacular.

Disoblige
08-18-2023, 07:07 PM
That's somewhat competitive. For driveways over 750 ft^2 you can touch $0.80/sq-ft.
I highly highly recommend Titan Coatings if you're in the South. Mine looks fucking spectacular.
Thanks. I may get my neighbors in so that will be over 1500 sq ft easy.

But also tempted to do it myself lol

Disoblige
08-18-2023, 08:52 PM
They replied back and gave me a great $/sq-ft for multiple homes. What made them so spectacular and have you used them repeatedly before or just once so far?

ThePenIsMightier
08-18-2023, 09:14 PM
Thanks. I may get my neighbors in so that will be over 1500 sq ft easy.

But also tempted to do it myself lol

Buy a couple sprayers and go in with me. We'll conquer the world! "Half price if customer pressure washes their own before we get there."
Durnt Buck Entelplises.

ThePenIsMightier
08-18-2023, 09:23 PM
They replied back and gave me a great $/sq-ft for multiple homes. What made them so spectacular and have you used them repeatedly before or just once so far?

I did my own a few years ago and Tylor did about 2x better job than I did, but I've only used them once. He sprays and rolls and I think his product is superior to what I bought at NorCan or whatever they are called.
When I did it, the concrete completely drank it up and it looked flat again within a week. His gloss stays.
Everyone else in my neighbourhood says he's the best guy to go to, as well.

So, you can be Mar and put asphalt made from spunk & tires overtop, or... You can welch on a bet and try Titan.

schurchill39
08-21-2023, 09:18 AM
That Titan guy has done about 4-5 on my block and they all look great. Talking to a few people down the street who have used him and and some others who have used different guys and all of them said that ~$1/sqft + or - seems about right.
cycosis how did this particular job work out for you?!

msommers
08-21-2023, 09:23 PM
Look into Citrisol. I used to clean heavy oil with it when working as a rig geo. Works awesome and smells like oranges!

cycosis
08-22-2023, 10:22 AM
No clue. I left that company years ago

gpomp
08-22-2023, 10:31 AM
I did my own a few years ago and Tylor did about 2x better job than I did, but I've only used them once. He sprays and rolls and I think his product is superior to what I bought at NorCan or whatever they are called.
When I did it, the concrete completely drank it up and it looked flat again within a week. His gloss stays.
Everyone else in my neighbourhood says he's the best guy to go to, as well.

So, you can be Mar and put asphalt made from spunk & tires overtop, or... You can welch on a bet and try Titan.

What's his contact info?

ThePenIsMightier
08-22-2023, 10:59 AM
gpomp
587-577-0347

Or message him on BookFace
Titan Coatings Calgary

nagooro
08-25-2023, 09:25 PM
How often do you guys seal your driveways? I have an exposed aggregate, did it 2 years ago..was gonna wait until next year to get it done again?

ThePenIsMightier
08-25-2023, 09:49 PM
How often do you guys seal your driveways? I have an exposed aggregate, did it 2 years ago..was gonna wait until next year to get it done again?

Every 2 years is "ideal" with exposed Agg but definitely every 3 years as a minimum would be my take on it.

Neil4Speed
08-26-2023, 10:04 PM
Every 2 years is "ideal" with exposed Agg but definitely every 3 years as a minimum would be my take on it.

I used the following. Not sure if it was ever really done on my driveway in the past. I was really happy with the results. Prep + application took about 3-4 hours for a regular two car garage. Most of it is in the cleaning/blowing

https://unicon.ca/unicon-concrete-sealers/

ThePenIsMightier
08-26-2023, 11:49 PM
I used the following. Not sure if it was ever really done on my driveway in the past. I was really happy with the results. Prep + application took about 3-4 hours for a regular two car garage. Most of it is in the cleaning/blowing

https://unicon.ca/unicon-concrete-sealers/

I'm a firm believer in the solvent based ones. The more volatile, stinky horrific chemicals that are in there, the better.
If it smells like it's actively giving you cancer, it's letting you know what a great job it's doing. LoL!

msommers
08-27-2023, 11:03 AM
So I had no idea this was a thing until reading this thread, so thanks for mentioning it. Our place is 10 years old and I can't imagine anyone has done maintenance previously. Just clean it out thoroughly and roll on the sealant with a paint roller?

Our stairs and front walkway.

ThePenIsMightier
08-27-2023, 09:30 PM
So I had no idea this was a thing until reading this thread, so thanks for mentioning it. Our place is 10 years old and I can't imagine anyone has done maintenance previously. Just clean it out thoroughly and roll on the sealant with a paint roller?

1. Clean insanely thoroughly and let dry minimum 24hr before application.
2. Product must not be applied when DRIVEWAY is above recommended temperature. Remember that driveway temp is often >10° more than outside air. It's best to apply it super early in the morning.
3. Consider a proper pesticide respirator. The good sealers and loaded with shitty chemicals. Also get a fucking wide-ass roller with a deeper nap.
4. Roll it on thin at first until you get a feel for it. You can throw more on after but you risk lifting it and getting spaghetti stringers.
5. Watch driveway drink it up and look dull again within a week because it's never been done.
6. Tell yourself you're paying Titan to do it next time.
7. Curse TPiM and his family.

msommers
08-27-2023, 10:06 PM
Thanks man. I think our job would be too small for anyone to bother coming over.

schurchill39
08-28-2023, 06:38 PM
Thanks man. I think our job would be too small for anyone to bother coming over.

You'd be surprised for stuff like this. Especially if you can get anyone else in on it on the same block or neighbourhood