PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt - age or distance?

ExtraSlow
01-04-2019, 05:13 PM
I've always been of the opinion that major services are done on kilometers, but recently was told for people who drive less than typical, you should do major services such as a timing belt based on age of vehicle.

Just wanted to hear some opinions generally. Vehicle that brought this to mind is a Honda odyssey. Timing belt recommended at 7 years or 130,000km. I this vehicle will be under 100k after 7 years.

revelations
01-04-2019, 05:21 PM
If 20,000 kms and 7 years - I probably would not worry about too much especially if it was stored properly .... but your close enough there with mileage that I would definitely consider the time as a factor.

Tik-Tok
01-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Depends on if it's an interference engine. If it is, whichever comes first, if it isn't, whichever comes last.

Our weather is too harsh to leave it to fate.

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2019, 05:43 PM
I've always considered both equally for important stuff and just followed the recommendation. If it's a non-critical part, if a mechanic can inspect it and tell me it's completely fine, then I might wait longer to replace it (i.e. if I can see my cabin filter is clean and the dealer wants to replace). For a timing belt though I would stick to the book and you won't be much below the KM recommendation for a replacement anyway at the 7yr mark. Personally I'd do it but I can understand wanting to get the most out of it.

Darell_n
01-04-2019, 06:11 PM
So my 10 year old Subaru WRX should be ready to blowup, then? (like they all are). I need to get it scheduled now.

sneek
01-04-2019, 06:53 PM
this vehicle will be under 100k after 7 years.

I ended up doing mine at 8 years and 130K on both my J Series motors. I would suggest a Honda specialty shop. Personally, I go to Hu's garage but I have heard good things about Paz.

ExtraSlow
01-04-2019, 07:27 PM
I should ask around. I'm pretty handy, but this is a bit beyond my personal comfort zone. Probably redoing the rear brakes this year too, but I can do that myself.

revelations
01-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Yea it all depends on the engine - you can Youtube and get a quick idea of the work involved. One of my cars I had to remove an engine mount and support the engine partially from the transmission.

Then getting off the crank bolt requires a real big tool in many cases as well.... penetrant and a heat gun perhaps, and muscle. On some cars (1G lexus IS) you can cheat by getting a large breaker bar against the ground and using the starter to crank the engine and break the crank bolt.

Tik-Tok
01-04-2019, 08:48 PM
You don't know "out of comfort zone" until you've done an Audi 2.7tt automatic :rofl:

Step 1) "Put car in service position", aka Remove entire front end of car

BokCh0y
01-04-2019, 09:54 PM
You don't know "out of comfort zone" until you've done an Audi 2.7tt automatic :rofl:

02-06 mini cooper....same thing - front end service mode, drop the whole front end.

revelations
01-04-2019, 11:52 PM

Might as well replace everything else with the timing belt too, water pumps, power steering pumps, top end, front end, clutch .... LOL

bigbadboss101
01-05-2019, 08:09 AM
When we took our Odyssey to Airdrie Honda the guy said I can wait. It's 2011 and just under 100k. I would rather someone have a look at the belt and go for there though.

spikerS
01-05-2019, 06:16 PM
I say it depends on if it is a timing "belt" or a timing "chain".

If it is a belt, then yes, I would do it based on age or KM driven based on that the belt can degrade over time.

A timing chain, I throw the time requirement out the window and go solely based on KM driven.

bourge73
01-05-2019, 10:26 PM
A timing chain, I throw the time requirement out the window and go solely based on KM driven.[/QUOTE]

Honestly never understood why people change them ... maybe the “plastic guides “ or some stretch ? But they should be GTG
As far as lasting the life of that engine /vehicle

spikerS
01-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Honestly never understood why people change them ... maybe the “plastic guides “ or some stretch ? But they should be GTG

Timing chains can stretch over time, and if you are running an interference engine, you are asking for trouble.

Tik-Tok
01-05-2019, 11:40 PM

What's more fun than a Audi 2.7tt belt? Why a Audi 4.2 chain!

Step 1) Put car in service position
Step 2) Remove engine because the chain that does definitely fail prematurely is at the BACK of the engine.

firebane
01-06-2019, 12:06 AM
Timing chains can stretch over time, and if you are running an interference engine, you are asking for trouble.

The only time you generally run into any issues with timing chains is if you run it low on oil. Take a Honda engine for example. They are mostly timing chains and as said.. good for the life of the vehicle. Yes they may stretch a bit, but not enough to worry about.

J-hop
01-06-2019, 12:29 AM

spikerS
01-06-2019, 02:19 AM
The only time you generally run into any issues with timing chains is if you run it low on oil. Take a Honda engine for example. They are mostly timing chains and as said.. good for the life of the vehicle. Yes they may stretch a bit, but not enough to worry about.

sure, but there are just as many vehicles out there with chains that you religiously change at certain intervals. I have heard of people walking away from deals because the timing chain service wasn't done.

and before you ask, I can't recall which vehicles they were right now lol BMW 3 series maybe from 10 years ago?

J-hop
01-06-2019, 09:26 AM
sure, but there are just as many vehicles out there with chains that you religiously change at certain intervals. I have heard of people walking away from deals because the timing chain service wasn't done.

and before you ask, I can't recall which vehicles they were right now lol BMW 3 series maybe from 10 years ago?

Vw w8 engine comes to mind. Not a true lifetime item and a disgusting/expensive job

Come to think of it I don’t think any VAG chains/tensioners are lifetime items

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2019, 10:04 AM

The auto might have been different but Tune Dub did the timing belt on my 2.7T 6MT for under $1000, along with some other small stuff while he was in there. I don't know how much work was involved but I thought it was pretty reasonable cost-wise.

Tik-Tok
01-07-2019, 10:08 AM
The auto might have been different but Tune Dub did the timing belt on my 2.7T 6MT for under $1000, along with some other small stuff while he was in there. I don't know how much work was involved but I thought it was pretty reasonable cost-wise.

Tune Dub does them on a daily basis, that was the first belt I'd ever done, lol. Also a manual doesn't have the transmission cooler making it much easier to remove the front clip.

Mitsu3000gt
01-07-2019, 10:15 AM
Tune Dub does them on a daily basis, that was the first belt I'd ever done, lol. Also a manual doesn't have the transmission cooler making it much easier to remove the front clip.

You're braver than I if you did it yourself haha :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
01-07-2019, 10:47 AM
You're braver than I if you did it yourself haha :thumbsup:

Like I said WAY out of comfort zone. Sometimes you just got to challenge yourself though... in the name of your wallet. :rofl: