PDA

View Full Version : Ultrafiltered milk - Fairlife etc.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2019, 03:54 PM
What's everyone's opinion on so-called "ultrafiltered" milk products, such as those sold under the Fairlife brand?
Supposed to have less sugar and more protein then "regular" milk, and no lactose, but also has a different texture, which is a little odd.

I don't think it's got sufficient benefits to me to justify the much higher price. I don't drink much milk anyway, and this isn't going to change that.

Xtrema
01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Is this the one Canadian milk farmers warn us about?

Wiki

Dietitians and nutritionists were generally critical of the milk; Alissa Rumsey, a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics expressed, "When you really look at the numbers, it can sound appealing, but in general most Americans are already getting enough protein," adding, "If you need more, eat an egg or a handful of almonds. And people who need more calcium should up their intake of dark leafy greens, not the so-called Frankenmilk."

The Fairlife line of milk is distributed by Coca-Cola's Minute Maid division.

JRSC00LUDE
01-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Is this the one Canadian milk farmers warn us about?

If it was the Quebec dairy contingent warning us then I say buy it, they just want to protect their cartel.

Tik-Tok
01-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Dietitians and nutritionists were generally critical of the milk; Alissa Rumsey, a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics expressed, "When you really look at the numbers, it can sound appealing, but in general most Americans are already getting enough protein," adding, "If you need more, eat an egg or a handful of almonds. And people who need more calcium should up their intake of dark leafy greens, not the so-called Frankenmilk."
Wiki

Yeah, if you need more nutrients, buy more products! Don't just buy it in one simple, easy to drink liquid!

I've done no research on this stuff, but that quote alone screams of paid-for propaganda.

A790
01-16-2019, 06:16 PM
I use it for my lattes. Works well. Tastes good. Dem gains <3

Darkane
01-16-2019, 09:05 PM
The chocolate is damn good. And a better PWO drink than the regular chocholate milk.

msommers
01-17-2019, 08:12 AM
I like Natrel. Tastes creamier for some reason.

Disoblige
01-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Now we just need the 4L version at Costco.

nzwasp
01-17-2019, 08:50 AM
I wish they sold atleast a 4L lactose free milk at costco. Getting sick of buying 4 x 2L every week from superstore.

I came across this UHT milk when I was in Australia. The reason for the extremely long expiry dates (can be up to 6 months) is that they pasterize the milk at a higher heat for longer, and the packaging is specially treated to resist bacteria. They had UHT milk on the shelf (not refrigerated at all) and it tasted just like normal milk.

ExtraSlow
01-17-2019, 08:59 AM
They sell uht milk in Canada.

HiTempguy1
01-17-2019, 11:54 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrafiltered_milk

I kind of want to try some of this now. I'm not a big milk guy (maybe 1L a month to myself), but this could be useful in cooking/baking as well.

See no problem with it, plus lactose free is a pretty big deal for a lot of people.

sabad66
01-17-2019, 04:45 PM
I use coffeemate double double creamer which i think is ultrafiltered milk. it's nice because it doesn't expire for months unlike normal 10% coffee creamer.

Strider
01-17-2019, 05:17 PM
I use coffeemate double double creamer which i think is ultrafiltered milk.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Coffee Mate is probably as far from milk as you can get

Coffee Mate Double Double ingredients:
Water, sugar, high oleic soy oil, sodium caseinate (milk derivative) ,dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglycerides, cellulose gel, salt, DATEM, flavour and artificial flavour, carrageenan, sucralose

Jlude
01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Had no idea it was unfiltered. The wife buys this down here in LA. I don't notice a taste difference. I only really drink milk w/ coffee though.

ExtraSlow
01-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Had no idea it was unfiltered. The wife buys this down here in LA. I don't notice a taste difference. I only really drink milk w/ coffee though.

Not UNfiltered, ULTRAfiltered.

sabad66
01-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but Coffee Mate is probably as far from milk as you can get

Water, sugar, high oleic soy oil, sodium caseinate (milk derivative) ,dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglycerides, cellulose gel, salt, DATEM, flavour and artificial flavour, carrageenan, sucralose
Haha whoops. Thought it might have been since the expiry date was so long but I guess it’s just all the chemicals :rofl:

Oh well, still tastes good

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2019, 06:41 PM
I use coffeemate double double creamer which i think is ultrafiltered milk. it's nice because it doesn't expire for months unlike normal 10% coffee creamer.
Ell-Oh-Ell!!!

^This!!
Coffee Mate is an edible oil product.

schocker
01-17-2019, 11:11 PM
I like the Dairyland Joyya. Extra protein is nice. Obviously all of these are $$$ for like 1.5 l.
Fairlife says they will use canadian milk in 2020 when their facility is finished. I think lactancia also has UHT milk.

Jlude
01-18-2019, 12:14 AM
Not UNfiltered, ULTRAfiltered.

oops :rofl::rofl:

msommers
01-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Coffeemate anything is pure garbage lol.

Also Sunny D. "Orange juice" with vegetable oil, among other things :(

sabad66
01-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Ell-Oh-Ell!!!

^This!!
Coffee Mate is an edible oil product.

Coffeemate anything is pure garbage lol.

Also Sunny D. "Orange juice" with vegetable oil, among other things :(

come on guys, it has sodium caseinate which is at least a milk derivative :rofl:

i still stand behind it. i only make coffee at home on the weekends so it's not sustainable to buy real cream which i can basically only use 2 or 4 times before it goes bad.

but reading this thread, i wonder if they make ultrafiltered cream which i could use instead?

ExtraSlow
01-24-2019, 06:42 AM
Apparently Fairlife uses American milk if anyone cares. Natrel is similar (but not identical) and uses Canadian milk.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Joya is also a Canadian option.

schocker
02-07-2019, 10:39 PM
I have tried joyya and natrel and both are fine. Obviously quite expensive though compared to normal milk and each brand is a different volume.

R-Audi
02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Apparently Fairlife uses American milk if anyone cares. Natrel is similar (but not identical) and uses Canadian milk.

At this point, from a political stand point Id prefer American milk to Quebec milk...