PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the I8?

shakalaka
01-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Just thought it'd be interesting to see what people's thoughts are on the BMW I8? I absolutely love the looks of it and while it looks like it should be much faster than what it is, it isn't necessarily a slouch by any means. Always had a soft spot for them mainly because of the super car looks and I personally kind of consider it a super car like the R8 etc. Anyway, I have been contemplating getting one but haven't quite convinced myself one way or the other yet. Just thought it'd be interesting to see what the general 'car community' thinks of them as it is one of the very few cars that pretty much got put into production the same way as it was when it was a concept car.

killramos
01-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Slow and purely for show.

ExtraSlow
01-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Have seen in person, very eye catching and unique, an absolute stunner.

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2019, 09:57 PM
They're awesome. My friend has one and it's amazing.
Criticism is they are very fragile. Every panel on it has a tiny scratch or bump which is weird. I also hate the stereo pumping fake vrrmvroom noises in but I guess that's how these fake hybrids roll.

Sugarphreak
01-17-2019, 10:08 PM

max_boost
01-17-2019, 10:15 PM
Do it Shak. Do it. I dare you. Do it. :bigpimp:

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2019, 10:19 PM
It's low-4's 0-60 time... How slow is that? Why does it need to be zx10r fast for people to say "fast"?

Sugarphreak
01-17-2019, 10:32 PM

ThePenIsMightier
01-17-2019, 11:25 PM
It would be kind of embarrassing to drive a car that looks like it should be able to do it in the low 3's or even 2's and then have to admit it is slow as shit when people ask. I mean they will ask with that kind of car.

Plus it is so showy and anybody that actually knows will also know you are just a supercar poser. I think this is sort of like the Mitsubishi Eclipse of supercars. It looks fast... but that is it.

Plus I've read on the track it actually gets slower lap after lap once the battery gets run down

If you are going to put up with supercar hassles, you might as well get a real supercar so you can at least enjoy the benefits side of that sort of vehicle.

I don't hate the car or anything, I am just being extremely blunt about my thoughts on it.

I hear ya... But it's still a lot cheaper and I don't think it's really intended to be a super car. Although it's really extreme looking, I kind of think it's more about looking unique rather than looking like an exotic, if that makes sense.
It's more "wow, WtF is that!?!" As opposed to "Sweet, infant baby jeebus, that must be the fastest thing ever manned by a man!"
There's also the DGaF part because knobs try to take fancy car owners down a peg. I doubt many Huracan or Gallardo owners lose a lot of sleep when some tool fueling up beside them says "I bet that's pretty fast for an Audi - derrrp!"

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 12:40 AM
It's 3.6 seconds 0-60 with launch control so that's plenty fast for me to be honest. I am not worried about the performance aspect of it. Hell, I even find my GTI plenty quick and fun enough to drive. When I had the M3, the C63 or even the X5M I barely ever used them to their full potential power wise. I am more so considering if this car is generally worth it and what the reliability is like. The interest rates with this car are crazy high at 5% and in some cases even higher (8%). I can write off a lot of that under one of my corporations but even then typically that's not a smart financial decision. I am just trying to decide if it is a car that is worth making a little bit of a 'wrong' financial move right now for.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2019, 01:17 AM

Buster
01-18-2019, 01:21 AM
On my long list of cars I think are cool that I have no interest in owning.

C4S
01-18-2019, 01:37 AM
You see more i8 around lately, it is a sexy looking family car with crazy good gas mileage, pretty quick too! 4 second 0-60mph time by all mean is quick, (M3/M4, even Ferrari 430 we are talking) and being a turbo and hybrid means next to no performance loss in Calgary with 4000 ft above sea level.

More important, just like normal BMW, it has depreciated a lot! $170K+ new, there are lots of used i8 going for $90k, to 120k low km one. You can now service them from local BMW dealer, instead of send it to Vancouver for service, and being AWD so it is good for Calgary winter.

The biggest problem is the door, not the best car to fit in garage or parking lot, or even park under lift, also hard for fat dudes to get in and out, service is pretty low compare to Ferrari, Lambo or Mclaren, you wont see $1,500 bill from oil service!

Tej.S
01-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Have never been a fan of the i8. Many better options out there for that price.

Team_Mclaren
01-18-2019, 06:00 AM
I looked into it, price is very attractive for what it is. Problem was you needed to have it service in Vancouver, but i think Calgary BMW can do it now.
Heard some problems with the eariler models, but it is still super tempting.

- - - Updated - - -

Have never been a fan of the i8. Many better options out there for that price.

for 120K like what?

speedog
01-18-2019, 07:22 AM
They're awesome. My friend has one and it's amazing.
Criticism is they are very fragile. Every panel on it has a tiny scratch or bump which is weird. I also hate the stereo pumping fake vrrmvroom noises in but I guess that's how these fake hybrids roll.

You do realize that there are quite a few ICE vehicles that pump fake vrrmvroom noises into their cabins via their stereos as well.

ThePenIsMightier
01-18-2019, 07:35 AM
You do realize that there are quite a few ICE vehicles that pump fake vrrmvroom noises into their cabins via their stereos as well.

While I don't know what an "ICE" vehicle is, I do know that a few other cars certainly do this. By saying "I guess that's how some of these fake hybrids roll" should've indicated that. I think the 918 does it, for example.

That doesn't change what it is though. It's vroom-vroom noises through speakers which is something a child should want.

dirtsniffer
01-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Something like a Camaro would never do this.

Ice is 'internal combustion engine'

ThePenIsMightier
01-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Oh wait, maybe that means Internal Combustion Engine? Yeah, I think a few of them do it, too. I think one of the Mustangs does it.
Don't care. Equally gay.

Edit - looks like the guy below beat me in here.

killramos
01-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Where is this 3.6s 0-60 coming from? Did they upgrade it recently or something?

Everything I have read is 4.4 including any quotes straight from BMW. Slow.

Your GTI could keep up with an i8... an M2 would smoke this.

bjstare
01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
I think it looks cool... that's about it. Lots of other cars I'd rather have for ~the same (or less) money. AMG GTS is a prime example. A little more understated, sounds infinitely better, way faster.

killramos
01-18-2019, 09:06 AM
I am on a big GTC kick, that widebody rear bumper...

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Where is this 3.6s 0-60 coming from? Did they upgrade it recently or something?

Everything I have read is 4.4 including any quotes straight from BMW. Slow.

Your GTI could keep up with an i8... an M2 would smoke this.

I was watching a video on Youtube and they mentioned 3.6 with launch control, a little slower without.

Here's a Motortrend video that says 3.8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqr_R9QTRYw

Anyway, there is no doubt in my mind that I absolute love this car and it is definitely on my list. I am just debating if I go for it now or wait a few months until closer to the summer when I can enjoy it properly anyway. As some of you know I get my vehicles from BC, it's not exactly a fun drive out there right now. I just don't want to miss out on the one I am looking at right now as it's mint with only 11K km's, but then by the same token, I am thinking surely there'll be other ones that will come along as well.

Banff_Dude
01-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Do it like that.

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Do it like that.

That is freaking gorgeous. The one I am currently looking at is a Protonic Blue, even though it may not end up being the one if I decide to wait a few months.

https://d2t6ms4cjod3h9.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/bmw-i8-protonic-blue-4.jpg

roopi
01-18-2019, 11:59 AM
Ask for Norman and he can set you up with a sweet deal:

https://www.internationalmotorcars.ca/certified/BMW/2014-BMW-i8-15c825550a0e08bb50a70153f1531ffe.htm

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Ask for Norman and he can set you up with a sweet deal:

https://www.internationalmotorcars.ca/certified/BMW/2014-BMW-i8-15c825550a0e08bb50a70153f1531ffe.htm

Haha sounds good. I will name drop Beyond if you guys think it will help in getting a better deal. lol

Mitsu3000gt
01-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Saw a ton of these when I was in California (specifically San Fran), it is like their Tesla haha. They look absolutely stunning but for that kind of money I'd rather have "real" engine and not a 1.5L 3cyl + electric.

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 12:24 PM
^I believe they get governmental incentives and rebates if going the electric route - so perhaps this car qualifies for that. Certainly makes sense considering how many of these, Tesla's and other similar electric cars you see out there.

killramos
01-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Let’s be real, you spend more time thinking about what car you want next than you actually own them. I’d say cut out the big time suck and just buy it.

bjstare
01-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Saw a ton of these when I was in California (specifically San Fran), it is like their Tesla haha. They look absolutely stunning but for that kind of money I'd rather have "real" engine and not a 1.5L 3cyl + electric.

I'm pretty sure Tesla is the Tesla of SF :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
01-18-2019, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Tesla is the Tesla of SF :rofl:

The Tesla is like their Civic haha. Those were EVERYWHERE. i8's were about as common as a Tesla in Calgary which is still pretty common. Must be those fat rebates.

BavarianBeast
01-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Piece of junk. Sounds like a Prius and wouldn’t be surprised if they run the same half mile.

Darell_n
01-18-2019, 01:40 PM
The i8 I see on a regular basis has what looks like 225 or 235 width tires on original wheels. No fawking way a large, heavy car like that is going to launch quickly on any city surface. Kijiji had a Calgary ad last week for a 2014 i8 with 70,000 km(ish) for $99000.

benyl
01-18-2019, 01:48 PM
Let’s be real, you spend more time thinking about what car you want next than you actually own them. I’d say cut out the big time suck and just buy it.

haha, reading the whole thread, I am not sure why Shak cares about reliability or the financial aspects of the transaction. The reality is that he will take a bath when he goes to sell it, like all the other cars he has flipped. The dealer keeps telling him he is getting a deal, but even with trunk money, BMW is making out like a bandit every time he swaps cars.

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 02:07 PM
haha, reading the whole thread, I am not sure why Shak cares about reliability or the financial aspects of the transaction. The reality is that he will take a bath when he goes to sell it, like all the other cars he has flipped. The dealer keeps telling him he is getting a deal, but even with trunk money, BMW is making out like a bandit every time he swaps cars.

Haha. Let's sit down one day and I will show you the paperwork of all my cars so far - trust me I wouldn't be doing it if I was getting screwed over or taking a substantial financial hit every time. In fact, the part of the reason I am siding towards waiting a few months on the I8 right now is because there's a $10K negative from my 540 right now. So I am thinking of sticking with it until the negative clears off before making the swap, so I am definitely not someone who keeps taking a financial hit without thinking twice. If I get the I8 which I consider a supercar, there's not much 'better' cars that I can move up to unless it's a Lambo and that will have to wait for now. So I feel like something like the I8, I will be keeping a few years at least.

ganesh
01-18-2019, 02:10 PM
I will be keeping a few years at least.

Famous Last words :)
Just do it. I like the I8

shakalaka
01-18-2019, 02:14 PM
For the record, as of end of January, I will have my 540 for a full one year. Which is a bit of an achievement for me I feel like. But I guess not necessarily because of the lack of trying to get rid of it, Haha.

Darkane
01-18-2019, 02:22 PM
If that’s what you like, I’d go NSX.

Some better pricing lately.

bjstare
01-18-2019, 02:24 PM
So I feel like something like the I8, I will be keeping a few years at least.

If you hadn't been around for so long, I'd for sure think you were trolling with this comment.

blitz
01-18-2019, 02:39 PM
For the record, as of end of January, I will have my 540 for a full one year. Which is a bit of an achievement for me I feel like. But I guess not necessarily because of the lack of trying to get rid of it, Haha.

That's only because you got distracted swapping out cheap DD's, isn't it?

killramos
01-18-2019, 02:43 PM
The i8 I see on a regular basis has what looks like 225 or 235 width tires on original wheels. No fawking way a large, heavy car like that is going to launch quickly on any city surface. Kijiji had a Calgary ad last week for a 2014 i8 with 70,000 km(ish) for $99000.

No matter what motortrend says with a rolling start, down hill, with the wind at its back, with an empty tank of gas. Not fast.

My bet the first time shak gets smoked by golf at a light he puts it up for sale.

i8 is at its best parked with the doors open, all downhill from there.

BavarianBeast
01-18-2019, 02:45 PM
https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/video-heres-why-bmw-i8-depreciating-rapidly-273390

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/bmw-i8-slower-you-mightve-thought

From someone who is very passionate about automotive, the i8 will be the biggest mistake in terms of automobile purchases in your life.

bjstare
01-18-2019, 02:50 PM
https://www.autotrader.com/car-video/video-heres-why-bmw-i8-depreciating-rapidly-273390

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/bmw-i8-slower-you-mightve-thought

From someone who is very passionate about automotive, the i8 will be the biggest mistake in terms of automobile purchases in your life.

37 seconds slower around the nurburgring than a CTR :rofl:

Xtrema
01-18-2019, 02:51 PM
^I believe they get governmental incentives and rebates if going the electric route - so perhaps this car qualifies for that. Certainly makes sense considering how many of these, Tesla's and other similar electric cars you see out there.

i8 never had rebates or HOV stickers from Cali. Due to relatively high MSRP and ICE engine doesn't meet emission to qualify for either.

It does however qualify for the Federal PHEV rebate, so may be it's why it's so cheap used.

I would expect it will be even cheaper when everyone ditches them for Tesla Roadster and Polestar 1.

killramos
01-18-2019, 02:52 PM
I kept turning up my volume on that video to see if I could hear the car, no dice.

Tej.S
01-18-2019, 03:40 PM
I looked into it, price is very attractive for what it is. Problem was you needed to have it service in Vancouver, but i think Calgary BMW can do it now.
Heard some problems with the eariler models, but it is still super tempting.

- - - Updated - - -

for 120K like what?

Plenty of mentions in this thread lol.