PDA

View Full Version : Wax on..... wax off.....

88CRX
03-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Just got done waxing the car for the first time ever..... yes.... ever. I've owned this car for almost 2years and never waxed it :banghead: :banghead: i know, i know. Thanks to me being a dumb ass my clear coat is gone :thumbsdow

And ya.... for people wondering, its so dam easy. And the results are amazing..... even on my pos :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ThE tV 8 mE
03-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
And ya.... for people wondering, its so dam easy. And the results are amazing..... even on my pos :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pos? what do you drive?

88CRX
03-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ThE tV 8 mE

pos? what do you drive?

its a CRX.... body is in rough shape thats all

Hash_man
03-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Ya man... I've had my car for about 6 months maybe a bit more, and just waxed it for the first time myself this week. Wipped out the good old meguiars 3step wax. It took me a good 6 hours total, but the car looks awesome.

method
03-28-2004, 05:06 PM
nu finish, the once a YEAR car polish! :rofl:

no seriously what did you use? first time I waxed my p5 I used some old armour-all crap I found in the closet and it actually worked pretty well. I use meguiars gold class now mind you.

davidI
03-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Anyone use a buffer for waxin/polishing their cars? I'm thinking about buying one but I don't know if it's worth it.

88CRX
03-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by method
nu finish, the once a YEAR car polish! :rofl:

no seriously what did you use? first time I waxed my p5 I used some old armour-all crap I found in the closet and it actually worked pretty well. I use meguiars gold class now mind you.

hahah.... i did the same.... found some old shit in the closet that my dad used once.

worked great.

nismodrifter
03-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Anyone use a buffer for waxin/polishing their cars? I'm thinking about buying one but I don't know if it's worth it.

:werd: Is there a big difference when doing it with a buffer or by hand other than that your wrist wont kill once you are done?

I am guessing most people here would use a random orbital to minimize the chance of burning your paint, but is there a big diff in "quality of shine" that you'll recieve from using a random orbital and a true orbital (ie...kind that is similar to a grinder...)????

davidI
03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
I want it to save time more than anything! I just don't know if they work well for applying your basic wax or if it's only worth the investment for people who use cutting compounds etc. I know there are a lot of detailers on here so hopefully someone can give advice on brands or whatnot within a college students budget (read: cheap).

sxtasy
03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Yes Power Polisher is definately the way to go. So much faster and easier, and the results are like night and day. You can buy a cheap polisher for those who wont use them that much. The one I use is a Makita and was around 350 bones. I have seen some for around 100.

nismodrifter
03-28-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Yes Power Polisher is definately the way to go. So much faster and easier, and the results are like night and day. You can buy a cheap polisher for those who wont use them that much. The one I use is a Makita and was around 350 bones. I have seen some for around 100.

and how about random orbital? I'd probably prefer one of those....is one of them worth getting to save the pain of havin to do it by hand?

method
03-28-2004, 10:19 PM
it makes a huge difference if you're polishing the car, but not so much if you're waxing.. just faster that way.

if you're gonna do polishing, get a random orbit. might not be the best of the best, but it's better than eating through your clearcoat :(

sxtasy
03-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I have never used an orbital. I dont really think too many people use those anymore.

KoukiS14
03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
A random orbital is only good for application purposes. In order to achieve professional results, a polisher like sxtasy's is in order. However, care and attention are needed so you dont ruin what you intend to fix.

yohan4ws
03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
I've got a "WEN" 8" orbital buffer/polisher from cdn tire ... I'm going to give my GF's cavalier a job of maguiars 3step so ill have some good before and after shots for you all to see how it works.

I'd like to find some maguiars NXT , anybody seen it here yet?

davidI
03-28-2004, 11:18 PM
How much was your Wen orbital?

Moe Man
03-29-2004, 09:06 PM
i paid 70 bux for a 8" too.....thats all you need really

yohan4ws
03-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Wen orbital is on sale at richmond cdn tire for ~50bux right now?

ill give a review after I do the girl's car.

serusnak
03-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Yes, if you're polishing for the first time ever, here are the tips. Pay attention especially to the edges!!! I learned this the hard way, if you're careless, the pad can "catch" on the edge and spin right back at you. Also pay attention to the products, make sure none of them have silicone (and petroleum, I think) in them. They're pretty much banned in body shops, especially the aerial kinds (spray on stuff)- they are the most hated enemy of the autobody industry. If you want to get your car repainted, DON'T. EVER. USE. ARMOR-ALL or anything that contains these stuff. it is a nightmare to get silicone off the car and will cause MAJOR problems for the paint job, so do your refinisher/prepper a favor, and save yourself some bucks, huh? Just some tips for y'all out there. :) :nut: :)

As for specific brands, I haven't really tried a lot of different kinds of brands to really tell you what's good and what's not. We used stuff by 3M at SAIT, it's really good stuff but I think it's too expensive for the average college students like yourself. I have used Black Magic, it's not that bad! Mother's/meguiars- not bad.
Also, don't wash or wax your car in direct sunlight.... it will really wreck your paint job by leaving water spots and cause some problems on your car. Hope the tips helped!

2.0turbo
03-30-2004, 04:35 PM
All I have to say is: some kind of power buffer, they all work, Mothers three stage waxe kit.

It is the best but will take all day to "install".

It looks like a mirror, a white mirror. Beautiful. Do it.

TACOMA
04-04-2004, 04:59 PM
I got a Simoniz power polisher from Canadian Tire for christmas. The big concern is I have a Black Truck. I've heard black shows swirls really easily with a power buffer. Can anyone tell me any different and what kind of product is worth applying if money is no object?

Thanks

Matt

davidI
04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
I think Meguiars has some sort of swirl remover.

sxtasy
04-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, many companies have swirl remover products.

lam-boy
04-05-2004, 01:03 AM
How many times should I wax a year? is it better to wax alot? or only once or twice a year?

KoukiS14
04-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy
How many times should I wax a year? is it better to wax alot? or only once or twice a year?

Wax 4 times a year.
Polish 2 times a year.

If you park in a garage most of the time than the amount of waxing may vary.

Use a good quality wax like Meguiars Gold Class. So multiple applications won't cause too much build up. That and its easy to apply and take off (buff).

l/l/rX
04-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

:werd: Is there a big difference when doing it with a buffer or by hand other than that your wrist wont kill once you are done?

I am guessing most people here would use a random orbital to minimize the chance of burning your paint, but is there a big diff in "quality of shine" that you'll recieve from using a random orbital and a true orbital (ie...kind that is similar to a grinder...)????

welpz when i worked at the shine factory we use the buffer on the older cars, which the paint was a bit...hrmm not as new aha. the buffer works great on older cars...it gets more shine on older paints. but mind there's like 3 coats of wax we put on those cars. cut and polish.
on the brand new cars we got from the suby dealership we just slapped on 1 coat of meguiars gold wax and used clothes to wipe it down.

l/l/rX
04-05-2004, 02:13 AM
also i guess this is common sense but just a heads up...when using the buffer dont have it on an angle. have the buffer flat against the car...or else the edge of your buffer is going to scratch your car up.

lam-boy
04-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by NismoS14

Wax 4 times a year.
Polish 2 times a year.

If you park in a garage most of the time than the amount of waxing may vary.

Use a good quality wax like Meguiars Gold Class. So multiple applications won't cause too much build up. That and its easy to apply and take off (buff).

I use meguiars gold class paste so i guess i got that covered.

what do you mean by polishing it?

and yeah i park in the garage most of the time.