PDA

View Full Version : Transferring a Toyota Warranty?

nzwasp
01-21-2019, 11:28 AM
We asked the MIL if she would be willing to sell the car she never uses and she is but im wondering if its an easy process to transfer the warranty (still 80,000K left/3 years) to the new owner? and would this affect the price of what i list it for on kijiji if I can transfer it.

benyl
01-21-2019, 01:14 PM
5 second google search.

https://www.chtoyota.com/toyota-extra-care-protection/

Extra Care Protection enhances the resale value of your Toyota. Simply complete, sign and return the transfer form to ECP. There is no extra charge for the transfer!! ECP gives you better value - even when you sell your Toyota.

lasimmon
01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
If its just the regular warranty does that really add any value to it? Don't used cars take that into account when buying/selling?

nzwasp
01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
I plugged her car into canadian black book and it said 16-18K value, its a 2017 Toyota Corolla S with only 20,000K on the clock. She bought it for 33k I thought it would be worth more. Given that my Kia Forte SX is from 2014 has twice the amount of K's and Kia's are shoddy for keeping their value and that is still worth 14K if I sold it. I only bought my Kia for 25K total.

realazy
01-21-2019, 03:47 PM
I plugged her car into canadian black book and it said 16-18K value, its a 2017 Toyota Corolla S with only 20,000K on the clock. She bought it for 33k I thought it would be worth more. Given that my Kia Forte SX is from 2014 has twice the amount of K's and Kia's are shoddy for keeping their value and that is still worth 14K if I sold it. I only bought my Kia for 25K total.

That's because she way over paid for that Corolla S...

Mitsu3000gt
01-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Holy crap you can pay $33K for a Corolla? I did not know that. Most expensive one I can build on their website right now is around $26K before tax without buying roof racks and all that junk.

Maybe she just got taken advantage of when she bought.

nzwasp
01-21-2019, 04:05 PM
most likely. I'm sure finance / extra warranty coverage and all that shit played a part too.

Xtrema
01-21-2019, 07:40 PM
most likely. I'm sure finance / extra warranty coverage and all that shit played a part too.

You can probably get $18K for it. Are you sure it's S and not an SE?

SE comes at 3 levels, base, sunroof, or XSE.

If have an XSE on your hand it's was $26K, ECP at $1700 (Assume she got 5year/100k, it's the cheapest one)

So MSRP is $31.2K OTD, add $2K on the usual BS protection package and you end up with $33K.

If you look around Autotrader, XSE has a top asking price around $22K, iQ tends to say $18-$19 to be reasonable.

I think you may get low balled since fully loaded one 2019 can be had $550/mth for 60 months, and usually cheaper than mfg clearance kicks in (probably in a couple of months when the completely new one is coming in). That there are plenty of cheap Corollas from various years and lower trim that are cheaper and just as reliable. Clean carfax report will help too.

nzwasp
01-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Should I get the car fax?

Mitsu3000gt
01-22-2019, 10:22 AM

CarFax's are for the USA you want a Car Proof if the car is Canadian. Up to you if you want to provide this to potential buyers - I think most people leave it up to the buyer to buy themselves if they want to see the Car Proof. They only show claimed accidents and registration changes, anything small or that was handled via cash won't be on there obviously.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-22-2019, 10:45 AM
CarFax's are for the USA you want a Car Proof if the car is Canadian. Up to you if you want to provide this to potential buyers - I think most people leave it up to the buyer to buy themselves if they want to see the Car Proof. They only show claimed accidents and registration changes, anything small or that was handled via cash won't be on there obviously.

Carproof became Carfax Canada last fall.

Aleks
01-22-2019, 11:09 AM

What value do you get for your car in CBB?

Mitsu3000gt
01-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Carproof became Carfax Canada last fall.

I did not know that - thanks!

Xtrema
01-23-2019, 12:05 PM

If record is clean, may save you time in speeding up sale.

If record isn't clean, don't bother.

Don't recall if your MIL got into accident in that car or not as part of her brain condition.

bjstare
01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Don't bother getting the carfax. As a buyer, I wouldn't trust a carfax that was provided by the seller. Regardless of whether or not the seller has provided it, I always have gotten my own.

nzwasp
01-23-2019, 01:21 PM
If record is clean, may save you time in speeding up sale.

If record isn't clean, don't bother.

Don't recall if your MIL got into accident in that car or not as part of her brain condition.

Not an accident that will show up on car fax. She nudged a concrete pole - scratched a little bit on the bumper. I used some touch up paint on it.

Anyway concerning the warranty. I presume in order to keep your warranty in good standing you have to get dealership or some sort of service. I think this car has only had perhaps one or two services ever. None in the last year since it has only been driven twice.

Xtrema
01-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Not an accident that will show up on car fax. She nudged a concrete pole - scratched a little bit on the bumper. I used some touch up paint on it.

Anyway concerning the warranty. I presume in order to keep your warranty in good standing you have to get dealership or some sort of service. I think this car has only had perhaps one or two services ever. None in the last year since it has only been driven twice.

Not a big deal. It's up to new owner to prove it if issues does come up. It's a Corolla, it's bulleproof.