PDA

View Full Version : Shipping tires from Calgary to Cali

Super_Geo
01-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Has anyone shipped tires to the states before?

I'm driving down on winters, will be living in SF for a while and want to swap out to summer tires once I'm there... and possibly send the winter tires back.

Would appreciate any advice... hopefully it isn't too much to send a set of 20in tires. I'm considering just buying a set of all season tires and driving down, but then it gets to be a real pain in the ass with storing them.

pheoxs
01-22-2019, 02:26 PM
If you take them to DYKPost in Marlborough they will take them down to Montana and mail them for ~10$CAD per tire (Assuming 30-40lbs? each idk) Then they can ship it fedex ground from Montana for probably 200USD give or take? They have an account so it might be a fair bit cheaper than that actually, thats just the generic fedex calculator quote.

If you can get the size and weight give them a call and they can give you a better quote. I've seen people ship motorcycle tires a couple times through them and they just plastic wrap it and stick a label on the tire.

ercchry
01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Tires are sooo cheap in the states I don’t think that’s even remotely worthwhile. Drive down, buy tires somewhere that offer free storage, when done switch back, then either sell off the tires down there or then see if it’s worth shipping the one set up

Chester
01-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Tires are sooo cheap in the states I don’t think that’s even remotely worthwhile. Drive down, buy tires somewhere that offer free storage, when done switch back, then either sell off the tires down there or then see if it’s worth shipping the one set up

:werd:

Xtrema
01-23-2019, 11:51 AM
What's a while? 2+ years? Don't bother with the shipping hassle, sell old and buy new.

mr2mike
01-23-2019, 12:59 PM
-This, except I don't think tire storage is a thing in most of California.
-When done, just drive back in summer time.

ercchry
01-23-2019, 01:13 PM
-This, except I don't think tire storage is a thing in most of California.
-When done, just drive back in summer time.

I would think norcal would have some places, they do get snow up there! Like not on the coast... but in the mountains

mr2mike
01-23-2019, 01:31 PM
True.
But in SF proper... No way. Space is a premium there especially for vehicles. Also you're probably better off to get spare brake pads over tires driving in SF haha.

TomcoPDR
01-26-2019, 05:26 PM
Problem I’ve had with this exact same trip to sfo. It was in May, driving to up to Utah ish, winters were great. But by the time you reach reno, the winters were toast. So imo you’d have to bring the all seasons or summers with you while on winters. Then swap out near salt lake.

rage2
01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
You need winters to hit Tahoe. Hell they “require” chains there haha. Silly Americans.

Toms-SC
01-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Welcome to SF. Can confirm that tires are cheap here. Bring your Canadian Costco card as it is still valid.

rage2
01-26-2019, 09:22 PM
Kenny and I have been spending a decent amount of time in SF. Didn’t realize there’s quite of dewnof you down there. Beyond dinner next time we’re there?

TomcoPDR
01-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Kenny and I have been spending a decent amount of time in SF. Didn’t realize there’s quite of dewnof you down there. Beyond dinner next time we’re there?

You guys mostly in dt sfo?

Toms-SC
01-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Sure. La Mar at Pier 1 1/2 is pretty tasty.

HiTempguy1
01-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Use secureship.ca to get business rates, ship via purolator.

4 tires should be about $200cad I'd guess depending on lots of things. That's how I export rims and tires to the USA. Haven't been able to find anything cheaper.

Super_Geo
02-05-2019, 04:23 PM

Definitely down for a Beyond SF meet... how often are you guys down here rage2, kenny? Toms-SC TomcoPDR

TomcoPDR
02-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Definitely down for a Beyond SF meet... how often are you guys down here rage2, kenny? Toms-SC TomcoPDR

I’d be interested

rage2
02-05-2019, 07:31 PM
I’ll let you know next time we’re there. We were there almost all of January.

Toms-SC
02-09-2019, 03:13 PM
I live here so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Graham_A_M
02-15-2019, 12:23 AM
Also try www.uship.com its basically a website that allows private shipping companies to bid for your business. Typically a lot of trucks dead haul (drive empty) back after the delivery. One of them can potentially pick these up for you (etc).