PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a LiftMaster Elite 8550 garage door opener?

16hypen3sp
01-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Link to LiftMaster site below.

Our bedroom is above our garage. I come home sometimes and my gf is sleeping. She gets woken up every single time I open the garage door. I currently have the cheapest LiftMaster opener. It's loud and not smooth whatsoever.

My brother was recently looking at houses to buy and this one place had the Elite series opener. It was SOOOOO quiet and smooth! It blew me away.

I'm tempted to get one of these installed. Does anyone have one of these?

Or do I just get rid of my gf? Hahaha, jk guys, jk,

https://www.liftmaster.com/ca/8550w-wifi-garage-door-opener/p/8550W

Tik-Tok
01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
Step 1) insulate and sound deaden the garage ceiling.

If no better

Step 2) buy that opener

If no better

Step 3) Tell girlfriend that's her wakeup alarm to get up and make you a sammich.

realazy
01-22-2019, 07:43 PM
I have a 8500c. It’s really really quiet.

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Link to LiftMaster site below.

Our bedroom is above our garage. I come home sometimes and my gf is sleeping. She gets woken up every single time I open the garage door. I currently have the cheapest LiftMaster opener. It's loud and not smooth whatsoever.

My brother was recently looking at houses to buy and this one place had the Elite series opener. It was SOOOOO quiet and smooth! It blew me away.

I'm tempted to get one of these installed. Does anyone have one of these?

Or do I just get rid of my gf? Hahaha, jk guys, jk,

https://www.liftmaster.com/ca/8550w-wifi-garage-door-opener/p/8550W

My friend has a belt driven DC opener and it is very quiet, but not Lift Master. In general, they (DC, etc) are quiet. His has crapped out twice within a year so I'm not sure if his is a cheap brand or if these style of units tend to be unreliable.
I have an 8500C and it is very not quiet. I guess that's useless info even though the model numbers are very close they are a completely different style.

Edit - guy before me find 8500c quiet which is weird. Maybe it's the deadbolt auto lock I find noisey.

realazy
01-22-2019, 08:45 PM
I can’t even hear my garage door open from inside the house... so I find that pretty quiet.

eblend
01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Get a side mount, that way it won't be hanging right under your bed.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/13/1f/c1131fadbc17f6bb700788f83c49d227.jpg

16hypen3sp
01-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Yah I saw those side wall mount openers but the structure to support the overhead style is already there. It's pretty much just a swap out.

88CRX
01-22-2019, 09:53 PM
We have them. Super quiet when you keep everything lubed up. Highly recommended for noise issues.

To the guy having noise issue you need to grease everything up. Ours was getting loud and after getting greased up it’s dead quiet again. Hinges on door panels, rollers and spring. Lube it all up.

AndyL
01-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Tune up first by someone good... Vibration isolators if that doesn't mostly fix it.

You'd mount then between opener and backhangs look like these but have 5/16" thread. These would work however...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07D3TBRJK/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2019, 10:17 PM
We have them. Super quiet when you keep everything lubed up. Highly recommended for noise issues.

To the guy having noise issue you need to grease everything up. Ours was getting loud and after getting greased up it’s dead quiet again. Hinges on door panels, rollers and spring. Lube it all up.

Sorry if this is continuing off topic but what lube?
That jig-a-loo stuff doesn't seem to do fuck all.

88CRX
01-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Sorry if this is continuing off topic but what lube?
That jig-a-loo stuff doesn't seem to do fuck all.

We had Action Doors out to look at it under warranty and they used their own spray they sell at their store. He did mention WD40 and similar stuff does not help at all.

AndyL
01-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Princess Auto and crappy tire sell a garage door lube.

Or atf/30wt, if you're old school.

Rollers, pivots, springs, cables, bearings, bushings. Not too heavy - builds up dust/crud.

Wd40 works against you, eats nylon rollers in time as well.

16hypen3sp
04-03-2019, 09:54 AM
UPDATE:

Said fuck it and had the 8550w installed on Monday.

Two words - life changing.

Way, WAY more quiet and smooth. No more jolting. And the gf stays in her slumber while door is in operation. Beautiful!