PDA

View Full Version : Lots of clothes - what's your item? What's your story?

ExtraSlow
01-23-2019, 07:52 AM
So I recall a member here mention they have 14+ polo shirts, which seemed like a lot to me. Then yesterday I was cleaning up my sock drawer and started counting. I have 55 pairs of socks, which surprised me.

What item of clothing do you have a lot of? Do you collect that item on purpose or did it just happen?

For me with the socks, it just happened. I have a few pairs of ski socks, some extra thick winter socks, regular wool socks, shortie summer socks, plus "normal" thin daik socks. There's no need for me to have 50+ pairs. I could pare that down to 25 without hardship.

So, what's your story?

G-ZUS
01-23-2019, 08:58 AM
Shoes...just kind of happened

Brent.ff
01-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Who'd have guessed that Mr Pink would be a Kondo-ite

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-23-2019, 09:43 AM
I mean, I have too many clothes in general. I have 5+ flannel shirts, 25+ t-shirts, 15+ hoodies, and like 15+ tank tops for the gym.

taemo
01-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Was probably part of the hoard group but as I'm slowly moving to a minimalist lifestyle, I've sold/donated a lot of my old clothes.

Last year I sold about 10 my polo shirts , donated over 20 business/dress shirts, 10 business pants, 30+ tshirts and polo shirts.
I also have over 50 pair of socks, I chose 20 that I use often (light summer socks, hiking shots, wool socks, snowboard socks) and the rest put them in a box.
Still have lots of sweaters and jackets so I need to figure out what to do with those.

I think at one point I wanted every color of polo shirts from Lacoste, Burberry and Penguin haha.
But now most of my clothes are neutral colors and havent bought any clothes or shoes in a while.

The less time I spend figuring out what to wear, the more time I get to do more productive stuff.
My work clothes is typically a khaki pant and polo shirt (have about 10 for work)
For every day clothes, tshirt and pants and I'm good.

msommers
01-23-2019, 10:16 AM
Way too many plain black, grey or white t-shirts. I don't think there is something as too many boxers so forget that.

Skrilla
01-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Saxx underwear. Seemed to be the only safe thing I could buy, as I have gradually put on more weight over the last couple years and they seem to fit a wide range of waist sizes. Last I checked had around 2 dozen pairs. I may own 3 pairs of shoes total, I only buy them if I have to, but my wife has been getting shoes for me for xmas lately. Probably embarrassed at how they look some days.

RX_EVOLV
01-23-2019, 11:05 AM
About 2 years ago I decided that it's quality over quantity, and since I work in a small office (<5 ppl) and don't do alot of customer facing activities, I just try to stick with one brand and call it a day. My wife HATES it as it literately looks like I wear the same cloths everyday.

Pants - American Eagle for Jeans, Kit and Ace for others.
Shirts - Kit and Ace
Workout cloths - Lululemon
Underwear - SAXX
Socks - Puma
Casual shoes - Adidas (NMD and Ultraboost)
Formal shoes - Cole Haan (Grand Pro)
Jacket - Kit and Ace or Arc'teryx

That said, I'm not a minimalist. I probably have 20+ Kit Ace shirts, 10+ pairs of ultraboosts/NMDs, 15+ pairs of SAXX, etc..

P_D
01-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Oakley 3/4 length shirts i say i have 20+. They have soft fabric and i can get away with wearing them at work and casually.

P_D
01-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Saxx underwear. Seemed to be the only safe thing I could buy, as I have gradually put on more weight over the last couple years and they seem to fit a wide range of waist sizes. Last I checked had around 2 dozen pairs. I may own 3 pairs of shoes total, I only buy them if I have to, but my wife has been getting shoes for me for xmas lately. Probably embarrassed at how they look some days.

I have really became a fan of 2UNDR, i find that Saxx dont have the same kind of quality they first did. 2UNDR and B3neth are now my go to for underwear. It seems anytime i hit a Winners or Marshalls i can find a pair or two every other time i go.

Brent.ff
01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Im a bit of an outdoor jacket whore.. but they all serve a purpose!

Puffies - Patagonia Down, Micropuff, 2x Nano puffs (had 3, one is being turned into a dog jacket), Outdoor Research Uberlayer, OR Deviator
Shells - OR Skyward II, OR Ferrosi, Patagonia Winter Guide, Arcteryx FL, Arc Incendo, Patagonia River Salt, Patagonia Torrentshell

killramos
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Puffies - Patagonia Down, Micropuff, 2x Nano puffs (had 3, one is being turned into a dog jacket), Outdoor Research Uberlayer, OR Deviator
Shells - OR Skyward II, OR Ferrosi, Patagonia Winter Guide, Arcteryx FL, Arc Incendo, Patagonia River Salt, Patagonia Torrentshell

This. And you always need something ratty for things like fishing or trips out to the shooting range.

Tik-Tok
01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
I have a lot of the exact same sock, 16 pairs. I just find them comfortable (extra thick soles). I have a lot of pajama sets too, because for some reason people keep buying them for me for xmas, even though I don't sleep in them at all.

Brent.ff
01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
This. And you always need something ratty for things like fishing or trips out to the shooting range.

ya the nanopuffs are pretty much my dedicated fishing jackets now.. beat up, but who's gonna notice on the river

EK 2.0
01-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Sneakers........:facepalm:

gqmw
01-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Dress shirts, underwear and socks for me.

Probably like 20+ dress shirts, 30-40% are just whites though.
Somewhere around 30 CK underwear.
Maybe 15-20 pairs of dress socks and another 10-15 ankle socks for gym/casual wear.

beyond_ban
01-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Sneakers and underwear.... could wear a different combo every day for a few years

Mitsu3000gt
01-23-2019, 11:35 AM
I used to have so many silk-screened T-Shirts with whatever brand name was 'in' at the time throughout Jr High / High School. My parents tried to get me to buy $15 shirts from Costco instead of of the garbage quality $30 branded tees that I wanted. I grew out of that pretty fast, now if I can see the brand name I don't even want it, and anything silk-screened is awful (looks like crap after a few washes anyway and doesn't breathe). Same with Jeans, they had to be certain brands and cost 3X what a good pair of jeans needs to cost. I don't know who I was trying to impress with all my Quicksilver and Billabong T-shirts back in the day :rofl: I guess they matched my silver/blue Oakley sunglasses that everyone had. I was such a loser.

I'm the total opposite now, I don't even buy clothes unless they're on sale and I won't buy anything with a visible brand name unless it's very subtle. So many stores are 40-70% off often enough that I sometimes wonder who these people are who buy anything at full price. I have got nice clothes from Costco, Gap outlet, J Crew, etc. for hilarious prices that are perfect for daily wear or work. I have a lot of Gap polos and Gap plain T-Shirts/under shirts, can't go wrong at $10-15 and quality is identical to the $80-$100 shirts.

I have a ton of underwear (I like the My Package brand - got 20+ pairs on The Last Hunt) and socks, I like both to feel new all the time so I buy a lot. For socks I just buy Costco packs of Puma or whatever they have. I used to buy Lululemon underwear but it was surprisingly bad quality and wore out really fast, even having never been put in the dryer. And it had no "pouch" like Saxx or My Package to keep the balls off the legs.

For workout clothes, I like the Gap's brand of "active" wear, mostly just gym shirts. Lululemon is good but you can buy essentially the exact same shirt for $15 instead of $80. The few Lululemon things I do own (shirts, sweatpants, hoodie) though I really like. Costco sometimes has Puma workout shirts that are also really nice.

Dress clothes are all full custom, since there is nothing better (IMO) and they are a fraction of the cost of anything with a high-end brand name. Dress shoes are all Allen Edmonds - it's cheaper to buy shoes that last forever than $100 shoes every 6 months, plus they look better. At work now though is basically Khakis and a dressy sweater or polo every day, so I haven't refreshed my dress clothes in years.

Footwear / Coats / Winter wear etc. I have no problem spending money on to buy the best because they last so long, but those things are perpetually on sale anyway so it's not a big deal.

The Last Hunt is an awesome website if you know your size, they have tons of high quality / high end clothing and footwear for 40-60% off all the time. No returns though so you need to be 100% sure it fits. I've used them numerous times and it's been great.

Xtrema
01-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Same here. I now have a dedicated closet for them.

:facepalm:

max_boost
01-23-2019, 01:08 PM
wow some of you guys haha

I live so simple I can fit everything I have into a van lol

5-6 pairs of shoes
5-6 jackets
4 pairs of jeans
5-6 dress shirts
dozen t-shirts
dozen pairs of underwear and socks lol

nismodrifter
01-23-2019, 01:23 PM
wow some of you guys haha

I live so simple I can fit everything I have into a van lol

5-6 pairs of shoes
5-6 jackets
4 pairs of jeans
5-6 dress shirts
dozen t-shirts
dozen pairs of underwear and socks lol

Pretty much this except dress shirts are about a dozen. I moved around alot in my uni years, had to fit everything in 2 suitcases, I've basically kept it like that. Some of my home t-shirts go back to like grade 9 lol, still good, keep wearing them.

killramos
01-23-2019, 03:26 PM
You can never have too many dress shirts. I hate looking like I wear exactly the same thing every week.

max_boost
01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
You can never have too many dress shirts. I hate looking like I wear exactly the same thing every week.

GQ here :bigpimp:

I get it, depends on your job. Dressing well is a form of good manners and if you are higher up, definitely have to look boss mode.

Jeans and t-shirt everyday for me but I'm just a counter clerk lol

Sugarphreak
01-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Mitsu3000gt
01-23-2019, 05:13 PM
about 35 pairs of EXACTLY the same socks, so I never have to match them. I just throw out single socks that are wearing out and order new ones.

This has always been my strategy as well - all socks are identical so I don't have to think when I put them away, and if I wreck one out of a pair, it doesn't matter.

ExtraSlow
01-23-2019, 05:25 PM
That's the way to do socks, buy multiples.

bjstare
01-23-2019, 05:37 PM
I have a lot of Vans shoes. Probably 15 pairs, some of which have only been worn a couple times. Quite a few pairs of Vans Vault shoes, limited collabs, etc. Ridiculous since I can't wear them to the office or anything, I only rotate through a couple pairs of them. The reason it started is simple, one of my best friends started working as a sales rep for them so I pay next to nothing for shoes now.

I also have a lot of golf shirts, specifically J. Lindeberg ones. But it's because I golf lots. I never wear them off the golf course (unless on my way to or from golfing). Comfy as they may be, I think wearing golf shirts everywhere (especially to the office) is super tacky.

sneek
01-23-2019, 05:51 PM
About 2 years ago I decided that it's quality over quantity, and since I work in a small office (<5 ppl) and don't do alot of customer facing activities, I just try to stick with one brand and call it a day. My wife HATES it as it literately looks like I wear the same cloths everyday.

Pants - American Eagle for Jeans, Kit and Ace for others.
Shirts - Kit and Ace
Workout cloths - Lululemon
Underwear - SAXX
Socks - Puma
Casual shoes - Adidas (NMD and Ultraboost)
Formal shoes - Cole Haan (Grand Pro)
Jacket - Kit and Ace or Arc'teryx

That said, I'm not a minimalist. I probably have 20+ Kit Ace shirts, 10+ pairs of ultraboosts/NMDs, 15+ pairs of SAXX, etc..

:rofl: we have almost the same wardrobe.
I have Naked and Famous and Levi's jeans, but wear mostly Kit and Ace to the office.
MyPackage for underwear - formerly Saxx.
Probably 6-7 pairs of Chucks as I use them for both the gym and casual.

CLiVE
01-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Lol. I think I have more than nearly every maximum mentioned combined.
Quick count 34 dress shirts, 20 polos, 14 pairs of jeans, 72 PRs of socks, 30 tshirts , 27 jackets. Plus all my workout wear which is a ton as a triathlete. Meh. Who cares.

legendboy
01-23-2019, 06:56 PM
I work in a fairly relaxed environment, running RAIL meeting days i wear some kind of collared shirt and jeans other days i usually wear some metal t shirt and camo pants or jeans/carhartt's.

My thing is metal shirts, i wear them almost all the time, like when i was 15

blitz
01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
1 pair of jeans, 3 pairs of dress pants, 3 polos, 6 dress shirts and 10 t-shirts.

Sugarphreak
01-24-2019, 07:42 AM

ExtraSlow
01-24-2019, 07:51 AM
I would LOVE to have a lot of jackets. Those turn my crank, but I'm economizing.

Neil4Speed
01-24-2019, 08:31 AM
I'm feeling like a Diva here, although I really have tried to be more strategic about my clothing purchases to fit a particular need or category rather than just buying. This stupid Marie Kondo thing has had me giving away huge amounts of clothing, and frankly, I have been living with way more "joy"... go figure?

I have about 7 suits for my circulation and about the same in terms of sport coats. I also want to start replacing my old CK's with Saxx, they really are great.

I have a lot of ties... probably about 50, but I like them, and try hard to trim down if I feel like they haven't been reached for a while

As many of you know though... my thing is cologne. I feel like I have done a good job of trimming down and havn't purchased much in the last 2 years or so (maybe a bottle or two), but my collection is about... 50-60. Its more of a hobby and a very enjoyable one at that.

ExtraSlow
01-24-2019, 08:45 AM
If you enjoy the collection that's awesome, no matter what your item is.

heavyfuel
01-24-2019, 09:51 AM
I took a large blue bin of shoes to Goodwill 2 weekends ago and I still have more shoes than some girls do lol. I have an entire dresser committed to Under Armour gym gear.

CLiVE
01-24-2019, 10:23 AM
That is pretty minimalist Blitz! You must have a pretty fixed washing schedule to pull that off.

+1

If you have the space, might as well

Agree. I have the space, it is organized and I have the means to afford it.
The whole kondo movement isn't meant to go minimalist is it? Really just to keep the things that give you joy.
If all my shit gives me joy, I'm free to keep it according to the "rules"? :facepalm:

K3RMiTdot
01-25-2019, 12:15 AM
T-Shirts and Socks for me. I have the same black t-shirt probably about 30 of them... i hate looking for t shirts...

ThePenIsMightier
01-25-2019, 07:31 AM

I just got into these with a pair and then finally found a small sale at Sport Check. That's how I found out Vibe > Undercover (after buying four sale pairs!) They're fine but not as comfy.
Do you ever see them go on sale anywhere? I like them but it irritates me paying that much.

Mitsu3000gt
01-25-2019, 10:06 AM
For those of you looking for Saxx on sale - these are pretty much identical and IMHO better (I own both):

https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/mypakage-mens-weekday-boxer-brief-basics-llll-mpwd

But they also have cheap Saxx:

https://www.thelasthunt.com/collections/all/brands-saxx-underwear

civic_stylez
01-25-2019, 01:54 PM
Hoodies... always had a ridiculous addition to hoodies. Cheap WalMart ones to crazy expensive ones. Doesnt matter if its +20 or -20, Ill usually wear a hoodie. Plain black T shirts are also in excess. I feel like god damn Julian from Trailer Park Boys... always in a black tee.

Wife has started secretly throwing/donating my stuff but its just a valid excuse to buy more lol.

schocker
01-25-2019, 07:56 PM
I have too much of everything except dress clothes. I get to wear office casual as jeans and t-shirt generally so that is why. Too many tshirts, jeans, shoes, jackets, hoodies, saxx but never enough socks. Try to donate the stuff I don't wear a few times a year to cut down on the clutter.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2019, 05:59 PM
For those of you looking for Saxx on sale - these are pretty much identical and IMHO better (I own both):

Mypackage is definitely better, at least the weekend version is, the weekday ones are about the same IMO.

darthVWader
01-27-2019, 03:12 AM
ya the nanopuffs are pretty much my dedicated fishing jackets now.. beat up, but who's gonna notice on the river

Me

AndyL
01-27-2019, 11:29 AM
Lol... Socks...
Drawer full, top of dresser covered, and a 2cuft box in the closet full. But my big heavy insulated socks for winter towing duties and door work, they take up a huge amount of space... That 2cuft box has about a dozen pairs of thick woolies.

Dress socks for all these gosh darned custody court visits... Regular sport socks, ankle socks for summer and yeah - decades of Christmas present wool socks to keep my toes from turning black

CompletelyNumb
01-27-2019, 01:51 PM
Jeans - 3 pairs, identical
T shirts - 15, 10 are identical in black
Socks - 30 pair, 20 identical for everyday, 2 dress, 8 winter
Boxers - 16 identical, 4 saxx
Shoes - always 1 winter, 1 hiking, and 1 casual. Replace when needed.
Outer layers: 1 or 2 hoodies, one fancy style fabric winter coat, one snowboard jacket, one rain shell.

I can wear a new outfit with clean clothes every day, all week, but it will look identical. I understand this is a problem. :angel:

ExtraSlow
01-27-2019, 01:56 PM
So organized! I is impress.

Mitsu3000gt
01-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Mypackage is definitely better, at least the weekend version is, the weekday ones are about the same IMO.

I only have the weekdays, but I am very happy with them. I have 2 different kinds of Saxx as well but I prefer the MyPackage - just for me personally they don't ride up at all compare to the Saxx which sometimes have me wearing a thong by the end of the day.

JordanEG6
01-28-2019, 11:49 AM
black clothing. I have ALOT of black clothing. I am slowly starting to change that.

And everyone knows the shoes. Although I've been actively selling my collection, I do still have alot to move.

jwslam
01-28-2019, 12:05 PM
1 pair of jeans, 3 pairs of dress pants, 3 polos, 6 dress shirts and 10 t-shirts.
I carry more than that for a 4 day trip!

CMW403
02-15-2019, 01:01 AM
motherfucking Fanny Packs.

Bought the first Nike one to skateboard with after my friend punctured his scrotum falling on a rail with his keys in his pocket...

After wearing that one for like three days I realized how motherfucking handy they are and spent about three minutes pondering the reason as to why nobody else wears them before I realized that I don't give a half a fuck what anyone else thinks.

Now I have a red Supreme "waist pack" for casual wear (not at the skatepark), and I keep a black leather Louis Vuitton "bum bag" (that actually matches one of my belts) in my closet for those days that a guy just wants to wear his motherfucking fanny pack no matter what the dress code is.

Guess who never misplaces his wallet/phone/keys or pistol anymore?

I'm going to catch so much heat for this post. No knocking it unless you've tried it guys :)

arcticcat522
02-15-2019, 08:19 AM
I actually have a camo Herschel one. I've wore it a couple times. So handy.

ExtraSlow
02-15-2019, 08:46 AM
I should start wearing a fanny pack. I can totally see the appeal.

CMW403
02-15-2019, 11:28 AM
I should start wearing a fanny pack. I can totally see the appeal.

Everybody tells me to just buy those gay messenger bags and put my stuff in there, but its not the same at all. I can reach into my fanny pack without looking and grab whatever I need, don't have to bend down or even move.

You don't even understand what its like not having to deal with pockets anymore. Complete life hack.

You get where you're going and you just shed the pack with your coat, you can bring everything and nothing everywhere you go, at the same time.

heavyfuel
02-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Every time the topic of rollerblading comes up in the summer months the first question I'm asked is if I wear a fanny pack haha

Maybe once I puncture my scrotum lol

03ozwhip
02-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Hats...I have about 30 of them and wear all of them. Shoes as well, about 20-25 and all get worn with the exception of one pair that still sits in the box.

I thought id get more into hoarding DS shoes, but I'd rather wear them.

CMW403
02-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Hats...I have about 30 of them and wear all of them. Shoes as well, about 20-25 and all get worn with the exception of one pair that still sits in the box.

I thought id get more into hoarding DS shoes, but I'd rather wear them.

I find that either people are minimalists with shoes(on or two dress pairs, one or two casual pairs a hiking pair and pair of boots), like me, or they have ridiculous amounts of pairs, like you. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, pretty interesting.

03ozwhip
02-18-2019, 11:13 AM
I find that either people are minimalists with shoes(on or two dress pairs, one or two casual pairs a hiking pair and pair of boots), like me, or they have ridiculous amounts of pairs, like you. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, pretty interesting.

Maybe it's just me, but the colorways and matching my hats is almost an OCD thing for me lol

CMW403
02-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the colorways and matching my hats is almost an OCD thing for me lol

Yeah I do the same thing, I don't wear hats though.

Im more just matching my belt to my shoes. And sometimes if I wear the right belt it matches my shoes, wallet, backpack AND fanny pack.

klumsy_tumbler
02-20-2019, 11:41 AM
+1 for the fanny packs. I usually wear mine across my torso to avoid the awkward bunching in sweaters/jackets though.