PDA

View Full Version : What does a fence cost these days?

Mitsu3000gt
01-23-2019, 11:48 AM
My parents are getting quotes for 85' of fence and the range so far has been $5,000 - $7,500 including materials. Basic 6ft fence (posts w/fence boards) with pressure treated boards. That seemed crazy high to me given how easy it is to build a basic fence but I don't exactly know the fence business. Is that price normal ($60-90/ft) or does anyone have a recommendation for someone who does good work for a more reasonable price? TIA

I think Spikers was doing stuff like this but I thought I read he stopped because it was taking too much time.

spikerS
01-23-2019, 11:57 AM
My parents are getting quotes for 85' of fence and the range so far has been $5,000 - $7,500 including materials. Basic 6ft fence (posts w/fence boards) with pressure treated boards. That seemed crazy high to me given how easy it is to build a basic fence but I don't exactly know the fence business. Is that price normal ($60-90/ft) or does anyone have a recommendation for someone who does good work for a more reasonable price? TIA

I think Spikers was doing stuff like this but I thought I read he stopped because it was taking too much time.

Yeah, i am pretty much tapped out of doing stuff like this. I still do it for friends and i still help out previous clients, but that's about it now.

For fences I told people to figure on about $38 / foot for a basic fortress style fence with 6x6 posts and pressure treated wood.

Also, a lot of companies are cheaping out now. I did all my fences with 100% screws and zero staples. It took a bit longer, but you got a much stronger fence so watch out for that.

mr2mike
01-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Are they digging holes in the frozen ground? They'll be pricing in an auger plus cement that cures in cold weather.
Removing old fence? There's a cost to that.

Mitsu3000gt
01-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys.

No it would be in the spring/summer, so that part of the job shouldn't be any more difficult.

I'm not sure if they will be tearing down the old fence or if my parents are going to do it - I should get clarification on that. You can pop fence boards off in minutes though, I can't imagine the dismantling is a lot of labor but again I've never done it.

88CRX
01-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Removal of an old fence is going to add huge costs.... and if anyone thinks you can pop the old one down in minutes they should do the work themselves in minutes haha. If your removing the old posts thats huge time/costs. Plus you're paying to get ride of all the old materials, etc. Total pain in the ass. I'd be shocked if your prices include removal of old fence and materials.

We just did our fence this past summer and we were approximately $28/foot for the following:

- All Lumber, including delivery. We got the lumber for 'contractor pricing'.
- Everything was brown pressure treated.
- 4x6 posts.
- Fortress style with the mid rails on both sides.
- Hiring a bobcat to auger the holes (we still hand dug several close to the home)
- No gates at all (they're currently left open)
- 3 bags of concrete per hole.
- And then we built the entire thing ourselves.

And the rule of thumb on fences from when I got quotes a couple years back is that the labour quotes will match the material quotes. So $30/ft in materials would turn into $60/ft in materials and labour. And your prices are $58/ft up to $88/ft so they seem reasonable.

The cost of 6x6 posts vs 4x4 or 4x6 can add up quickly. And any lumber other than pressure treated is huge $$$.

Mitsu3000gt
01-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Removal of an old fence is going to add huge costs.... and if anyone thinks you can pop the old one down in minutes they should do the work themselves in minutes haha. If your removing the old posts thats huge time/costs. Plus you're paying to get ride of all the old materials, etc. Total pain in the ass. I'd be shocked if your prices include removal of old fence and materials.

We just did our fence this past summer and we were approximately $28/foot for the following:

- All Lumber, including delivery. We got the lumber for 'contractor pricing'.
- Everything was brown pressure treated.
- 4x6 posts.
- Fortress style with the mid rails on both sides.
- Hiring a bobcat to auger the holes (we still hand dug several close to the home)
- No gates at all (they're currently left open)
- 3 bags of concrete per hole.
- And then we built the entire thing ourselves.

And the rule of thumb on fences from when I got quotes a couple years back is that the labour quotes will match the material quotes. So $30/ft in materials would turn into $60/ft in materials and labour. And your prices are $58/ft up to $88/ft so they seem reasonable.

The cost of 6x6 posts vs 4x4 or 4x6 can add up quickly. And any lumber other than pressure treated is huge $$$.

Thanks that is very helpful - maybe not as bad as I thought once you lay it all out.

mr2mike
01-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Yeah I've done some fences and can have a whole back yard down in 30min. Taking posts out takes some time especially if they're really rotted.
Dispsoal is costly though.

That.Guy.S30
01-23-2019, 05:14 PM
When I was getting quotes for a fence last year (new fence no teardown), the general rule of thumb was whatever your material cost was the labor cost would be pretty much the same.

Ex. $35 / linear ft for material. The labor would be $35 / linear ft as well. *correction. Haha*

speedog
01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
When I was getting quotes for a fence last year (new fence no teardown), the general rule of thumb was whatever your material cost was the labor cost would be pretty much the same.

Ex. $35 / sqft for material. The labor would be $35 / sqft as well.

I really do hope you meant linear foot as opposed to square foot.

nagooro
01-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Had a cedar fence built last year at $60/lnft, 6x6 posts.

roopi
01-23-2019, 08:49 PM
In 2014 I paid $39/ft and gates were $320 each with hardware. I find it hard to believe prices are now double.

That.Guy.S30
01-23-2019, 09:03 PM
Sorry yes. That's it. Lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Yeah, i am pretty much tapped out of doing stuff like this. I still do it for friends and i still help out previous clients, but that's about it now.

For fences I told people to figure on about $38 / foot for a basic fortress style fence with 6x6 posts and pressure treated wood.

Also, a lot of companies are cheaping out now. I did all my fences with 100% screws and zero staples. It took a bit longer, but you got a much stronger fence so watch out for that.

So you'll come stain my fence then? ;)

88CRX
01-24-2019, 09:47 AM
In 2014 I paid $39/ft and gates were $320 each with hardware. I find it hard to believe prices are now double.

Lumber prices are through the roof. Believe it.

And they haven't doubled. You should easily be able to find a competent person to build you a pressure treated fence for $60/ft.

K3RMiTdot
01-24-2019, 09:53 AM
who did everyone end up using for the fence? Looking to get mine done in the spring so this thread is extra helpful!

spikerS
01-24-2019, 10:51 AM
So you'll come stain my fence then? ;)

yup. just say when. its been up long enough for me to come spray it.

nagooro
01-24-2019, 01:20 PM
who did everyone end up using for the fence? Looking to get mine done in the spring so this thread is extra helpful!

yardbuild.ca. They built a composite deck and cedar fence for me.

roopi
01-24-2019, 01:46 PM

www.jenron.ca/