PDA

View Full Version : Any personal trainers on here? Please chime in

Pages : [1] 2

heavyfuel
01-29-2019, 08:38 PM
I'm taking an online course through ISSA really hoping for a career change here. Thing is I hate social media with the hottest fiery burning passion from the deepest depths of hell. I started up an Instagram account because apparently that's a crucial part of being a trainer these days and it makes me so fuckin sick to my stomach to see selfie after selfie after selfie of the same people... 3 weeks in and nothing but drama drama drama. Plus having been a heavy cocaine user in the past (now clean for almost 15 years) and being more or less alone all the time with little or no social circles that shit is taking over my life since it targets the same dopamine receptors as addictive drugs and I'm just really not liking anything about that. When I take a good hard honest look at myself I don't feel the need to share my life that way, whether or not I post it I'm gonna do it, and that's what really counts to me, not how many people know about it. But, on the flip side I am alone all the time and really lonely, and at 43 it's not easy to make friends because I'm not on that level of being wifed up and locked down so it is kinda nice, but it's taking over too much and it's gotta go.

So my question is, exactly how crucial is this Instafake bullshit and is it possible to thrive as a trainer without it?

jwslam
01-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Sounds like you have more problems than just the career change part. I'm not a PT but here's what I'm reading from your post.

-You're not clear on what you want.
-You're looking to move into PT and believe that Social Media is the only way to make a living. You could start smaller and try to get a job at some big gym like Goodlife or World Health where the clients come through the doors anyways.
-It seems like you already know that social media is bad for you. Maybe you need to figure out how to use it in a different way. Maybe you only use it to post, and respond to messages. Reduce the interactions of making comments and participating in flame wars. Take everything with a grain of salt. i.e. just block that woman who's causing you drama and be done with that; remove her from your life. No different than the people around here who put themselves up against Gesalt.
-When you make posts on IG, they don't remotely need to be personal... they just need to be relatable which is what gets attention. i.e. look at @The (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=340725)goodquote.co has 4.3mil followers and not one post is a personal photo.
-It doesn't seem clear whether you enjoy your "solo" life, or if you're looking for more interaction. It's up to you to decide and make a change if necessary. There's many ways to do this; I'm sure it exists in some other thread on here.

some reading:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/328474-What-are-some-good-social-clubs-in-Calgary-that-dont-cost-a-fortune
https://www.trainerize.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-instagram-marketing-for-fitness-professionals/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/sep/17/instagram-is-supposed-to-be-friendly-so-why-is-it-making-people-so-miserable

ExtraSlow
01-30-2019, 08:25 AM
You need to compartmentalize your problems a bit and try to think about them individually.
1) is personal training a passion for you, or just a job. Both are fine, but that's got to be clear to you.
2) it sounds like social media is a bad plan for you. Just because others in the job use it doesn't mean it's the only way. Know your weaknesses and don't pretend they don't exist.
3) are you in any way serious about this woman? Sounds like she's not a positive influence on you, and she's expecting things from you she isn't willing to give in return. If you aren't serious, keep banging until you can upgrade, but dont let her control your emotions.

Best of luck man, you've always seemed like a genuine guy, and I hope you find fulfillment in all areas of your life. You deserve it.

heavyfuel
01-30-2019, 09:31 AM
You need to compartmentalize your problems a bit and try to think about them individually.
1) is personal training a passion for you, or just a job. Both are fine, but that's got to be clear to you.
2) it sounds like social media is a bad plan for you. Just because others in the job use it doesn't mean it's the only way. Know your weaknesses and don't pretend they don't exist.
3) are you in any way serious about this woman? Sounds like she's not a positive influence on you, and she's expecting things from you she isn't willing to give in return. If you aren't serious, keep banging until you can upgrade, but dont let her control your emotions.

Best of luck man, you've always seemed like a genuine guy, and I hope you find fulfillment in all areas of your life. You deserve it.

Yeah, we're through her and I, at 43 I'm absolutely not dealing with that, and after a more or less year long Tinder rampage with 2 semi serious "relatonships" (if you even wanna call it that) the only thing I wanna bang right now is the books so I can get my credentials to do what I already can probably do better than most clowns in places like Goodlife.

Passion or job? Well, let's put it this way. Most people that do what I do and are 10 years older are among the most miserable negative awful people you will ever meet. And I'm well on my way there. I'm aware and not quite in a freefall yet but very close. I routinely look at job postings here and there, and whether or not I'm qualified for said jobs, all I see is like staring into a big black void, with nothing looking back at me. Not an iota of even remote interest for anything except- I applied with CPS, and got deferred but still don't know for how long. Shit money to start, your life on the line every time you go to work, allegedly dysfunctional hierarchy, workplace politics and drama, list goes on. I wanted all that. I wanted to take that on in that setting. I wanted to give back for all the fucked up shit I've done and put my experience to good use helping people not let their lives be ruined by people like I used to be. So that ship sailed, cool. Next.

Now I figure, if I can inspire, empower and motivate people to embrace a fitness lifestyle with my current experience and capabilities I think that would be the next best thing from being a part of making criminal's lives miserable and pointing at risk youth in the right direction.

Misterman
02-04-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm taking an online course through ISSA really hoping for a career change here. Thing is I hate social media with the hottest fiery burning passion from the deepest depths of hell. I started up an Instagram account because apparently that's a crucial part of being a trainer these days and it makes me so fuckin sick to my stomach to see selfie after selfie after selfie of the same people, and the woman I'm seeing (who ironically is a trainer herself) thinks I'm treating IG as Tinder and now we're in a huge fight because "it makes her insecure" like what the direct fuck is that?? 3 weeks in and nothing but drama drama drama. Plus having been a heavy cocaine user in the past (now clean for almost 15 years) and being more or less alone all the time with little or no social circles that shit is taking over my life since it targets the same dopamine receptors as addictive drugs and I'm just really not liking anything about that. When I take a good hard honest look at myself I don't feel the need to share my life that way, whether or not I post it I'm gonna do it, and that's what really counts to me, not how many people know about it. But, on the flip side I am alone all the time and really lonely, and at 43 it's not easy to make friends because I'm not on that level of being wifed up and locked down so it is kinda nice, but it's taking over too much and it's gotta go.

So my question is, exactly how crucial is this Instafake bullshit and is it possible to thrive as a trainer without it?

It really depends what type of a business you want to build. If you just want to do traditional training and be in a small business trade time for money scenario, then you can do that organically without the social media. It will just be a longer slower road.

If you want to have a big business and make big money. Doing things like running contests and having a big volume of people run your cookie cutter plan. That will be VERY hard to do without social media.

If social media is causing you a bunch of headache, there is an option to just hire someone to manage that aspect of the business for you. But you generally need to be well established already for that, so you have profits coming in to pay for that service.

scboss
02-07-2019, 05:06 AM
You have three options
1. Have your own business and pay a flat rate somewhere

This method social media is much more needed but not as important as making your circle bigger. You need to work the floor at the gym you train at, create cold calls and get referrals. You need to create systems to take care of payment methods, accounting, saving for vacation, educating yourself etc. The hardest part about doing your own thing is accountability and you are no longer a trainer, you are a business owner. The payoffs can be huge.

2. Train for a commercial gym

You will NEVER be to smart to train for one of these gyms. You will be shown how to run a successful business, have someone to mentor you, gain experience super fast and worry about being a trainer. As you progress in a company you will slowly gain higher cuts to the point where you are pretty much paying what you would for a flat rate somewhere. The main difference is you will have a receptionist, payroll, manager, continuing ed etc. The only CON is obviously lack of freedom/creative control and the ratio of which you get paid when you first start.

3. Online

I have online training along with in person training and this is obviously the best bang for your buck but dont let this fool you. You are literally getting paid for a program and correcting techniques and you are no longer limited to where your home gym is either. But thats when stuff gets interesting

Most people hire a trainer because they are struggling or have no idea what they are doing. If you are a stickler for technique holding someone accountable online is very hard especially if they have never been in a gym before.

Social media is great but in all of these it really doesnt do what you think because you are competing with tens of thousands of people vs the people in your gym. Your best leads will always come from your natural market and referrals.

If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask

mr2mike
02-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Personal trainer = purchased gym friendship.

I'll admit, I spend hours watching personal training and physio therapy videos on youtube for my own training and understanding. Not all are good. Infact, I probably only watch 2 people and that's it. The rest are usually garbage, copycats and can't explain things right or are boring.

At any gym I have been to I see these hired personal trainers and a few don't even count reps for people.
Have yet to see one at my gym correct anyone's form, push them beyond comfort or assist them on the last few reps.
They'll collect their money regardless and most are just paid gym friends.
Did a free session with one a long time ago to see. The plan for me was so basic and would keep you in mediocrity while slowly draining your wallet.

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 09:59 AM
Personal trainer = purchased gym friendship.

I'll admit, I spend hours watching personal training and physio therapy videos on youtube for my own training and understanding. Not all are good. Infact, I probably only watch 2 people and that's it. The rest are usually garbage, copycats and can't explain things right or are boring.

At any gym I have been to I see these hired personal trainers and a few don't even count reps for people.
Have yet to see one at my gym correct anyone's form, push them beyond comfort or assist them on the last few reps.
Did a free session with one a long time ago to see. The plan for me was so basic and would keep you in mediocrity while slowly draining your wallet.

I can totally see that, of course some people are more experienced, some people have better people skills but know fuck all about training, to some it might merely be just a job, there's a ton of variables that can most definitely impact your experience with a trainer however the common denominator remains the same and that is,

You!

Put all the above factors together (and any others you can think of) and then take a good, hard honest look in the mirror and ask yourself how bad you want it.

Lex350
02-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Instead of the trainer doing the social media route have you considered corporate training? I know it is a bit harder to get in to because it requires some good networking but it sure pays the bills better. I have a friend that went that route. I'd say it took him about 3 years to finally be successful at it. He was doing the typical training people at chain gyms and not really advancing so he changed his focus and started training at private clubs instead. This helped him meet a better clientele that helped him get work in the corporate training environment.

scboss
02-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Yep it's sorta sad tbh. The worst is when a trainer whips out his phone during the session. These guys don't realize that they are in a giant fish bowl and everyone is watching

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Yep it's sorta sad tbh. The worst is when a trainer whips out his phone during the session. These guys don't realize that they are in a giant fish bowl and everyone is watching

That is sad... we're all guilty of texting/using our phones at the gym but when it's packed I make an extra effort to only look at it if I need to change my music.

I cannot imagine whipping out my phone while someone is paying me to pay attention to what they're doing

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Instead of the trainer doing the social media route have you considered corporate training? I know it is a bit harder to get in to because it requires some good networking but it sure pays the bills better. I have a friend that went that route. I'd say it took him about 3 years to finally be successful at it. He was doing the typical training people at chain gyms and not really advancing so he changed his focus and started training at private clubs instead. This helped him meet a better clientele that helped him get work in the corporate training environment.

That's a bridge I'm not ready to cross yet, the reality remains that just because I'm going to be certified doesn't mean I'll be able to hold a job not to sound negative but once again- common denominator is me. Only time I held a job for 6 months was when I was on parole 15 years ago, self employment may very well be the only way for me so yeah, I'm open to getting a job at a gym but I'm not holding my breath.

Disoblige
02-07-2019, 01:42 PM
But, on the flip side I am alone all the time and really lonely, and at 43 it's not easy to make friends because I'm not on that level of being wifed up and locked down so it is kinda nice, but it's taking over too much and it's gotta go.
This is the biggest problem you have right here. You need a woman who can stand your shit, someone who truly cares for you. You won't be so jaded any more and it will change your whole life.

As you mentioned, you're 43. Put some hard effort into putting yourself out there, be vulnerable, meet new people and maybe you'll find someone. Invest time into this because it's important.

I think you already know the root of your problems. Everything else will work itself out once you fix this as it will change your outlook on life.

Lex350
02-07-2019, 01:48 PM
That's a bridge I'm not ready to cross yet, the reality remains that just because I'm going to be certified doesn't mean I'll be able to hold a job not to sound negative but once again- common denominator is me. Only time I held a job for 6 months was when I was on parole 15 years ago, self employment may very well be the only way for me so yeah, I'm open to getting a job at a gym but I'm not holding my breath.

My friend does this as a contractor. He isn't directly employed my a business. He contracts his services out to a number of different businesses. Just another way to do things.

BavarianBeast
02-07-2019, 02:09 PM
The best PT I know isn’t even on social media. If your good at what you do you don’t need to have a conceited social media page to promote that you know how to build a good body.

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 07:13 PM
The best PT I know isn’t even on social media. If your good at what you do you don’t need to have a conceited social media page to promote that you know how to build a good body.

THANK YOU!

Jesus H Christ... lol

Misterman
02-08-2019, 03:35 PM

"Best" is a subjective term though. The best PT income wise is pretty likely to be on social media. Best PT knowledge wise. That's anybodys guess.

Being a PT on social media, and having a conceited SM page, are not synonymous. That's the beauty of SM marketing, you can grow your presence a million different ways.

gwill
02-08-2019, 04:56 PM
all these different posts have been entertaining as hell. Its like a slow motion train wreck in the making... I want to turn away but I cant. Genuinely curious to see how everything goes.

scboss
02-09-2019, 03:35 AM
"Best" is a subjective term though. The best PT income wise is pretty likely to be on social media. Best PT knowledge wise. That's anybodys guess.

Being a PT on social media, and having a conceited SM page, are not synonymous. That's the beauty of SM marketing, you can grow your presence a million different ways.

It's very subjective. If you are doing any job that requires marketing and you are not using FREE advertising you are insane.

Even if it generates 4 free clients in one year it was worth it.

From my experience the biggest struggle all of these guys coming into the industry is they think it's just about training, when it's really about developing and selling your product.

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 11:14 AM
It's very subjective. If you are doing any job that requires marketing and you are not using FREE advertising you are insane.

Even if it generates 4 free clients in one year it was worth it.

From my experience the biggest struggle all of these guys coming into the industry is they think it's just about training, when it's really about developing and selling your product.

Are you even 30 yet? Do you have any idea what real life experience is? What's the roughest/darkest shit you've been through? Your insta to me comes across like you're just another 20-something kid who lifts, travels and gambles and (thinks he) has life by the balls, everything all figured out, nothing to learn from anybody, future's so bright you gotta wear shades lol And now you're calling out those who feel they can thrive without "free" IG advertising? I'm really curious as to what your clients' goals are.

Instagram is far from free, it's part of the undoing of humanity, you know full well there's nothing Instant in this world. Let alone in the fitness world. (although gear, rented hummers and phony ass photo shoots and people like yourself willing to leverage all that garbage sure convince some otherwise, right?)

I think if you can avoid these "free" advertising platforms you're more genius than insane. Then again the line between genius and insane is pretty thin.

egmilano
02-09-2019, 12:06 PM
:facepalm: all I can say after reading this thread is personal training isnt for you.

gwill
02-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Are you even 30 yet? Do you have any idea what real life experience is? What's the roughest/darkest shit you've been through? Your insta to me comes across like you're just another 20-something kid who lifts, travels and gambles and (thinks he) has life by the balls, everything all figured out, nothing to learn from anybody, future's so bright you gotta wear shades lol And now you're calling out those who feel they can thrive without "free" IG advertising? I'm really curious as to what your clients' goals are.

Instagram is far from free, it's part of the undoing of humanity, you know full well there's nothing Instant in this world. Let alone in the fitness world. (although gear, rented hummers and phony ass photo shoots and people like yourself willing to leverage all that garbage sure convince some otherwise, right?)

I think if you can avoid these "free" advertising platforms you're more genius than insane. Then again the line between genius and insane is pretty thin.

bahahaha. You didnt let me down with my train wreck comment. What I find strange with you is that you seem to have all the answers yet your here looking desperate and retarded while looking for help/advice.

It's obvious your going to fail just like your previous business. It's not the economy, it's you.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 12:36 PM
I'd say personal training is about 10% knowledge of fitness and nutrition, and then 30% marketing and 60% personality.

killramos
02-09-2019, 12:51 PM
I'd say personal training is about 10% knowledge of fitness and nutrition, and then 30% marketing and 60% personality.

You forgot the 45% for TnA

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 12:56 PM
You forgot the 45% for TnA

He did say he's got a six pack, so he's all set there.

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 01:31 PM
bahahaha. You didnt let me down with my train wreck comment. What I find strange with you is that you seem to have all the answers yet your here looking desperate and retarded while looking for help/advice.

It's obvious your going to fail just like your previous business. It's not the economy, it's you.

Haven't failed yet, sorry to burst your bubble.

Oh, wait a minute- success on Beyond is defined by high end sports cars and luxurious homes, shit man sorry, you're right I did fail!

You're entitled to your opinion,

But,

Who's the one trolling posts looking to deliberately antagonize and push buttons?

Go fuck yourself troll. Seriously.

gwill
02-09-2019, 02:45 PM
I hope you do well and I can say I was wrong but based on your posts and your attitude I'd give you less then 5 % chance at succeeding.

Perhaps we should start the betting on when your next new career post happens.

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 02:46 PM
:facepalm: all I can say after reading this thread is personal training isnt for you.

Is that right? So which one are you, a PT or just another Instafake champ? Both?

Keep it coming, this shit motivates me

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 02:51 PM
I hope you do well and I can say I was wrong but based on your posts and your attitude I'd give you less then 5 % chance at succeeding.

Perhaps we should start the betting on when your next new career post happens.

I'm curious if you're a trainer, business guru or just a shit disturber who gets off on hoping/watching/betting on people failing. Which one is it?

You can take bets, but keep in mind I'm a fast learner. There might not be a next new career post

scboss
02-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Im 33 and quit a dead end job to go to university for this when i was 23. Ive been in the industry for 8 years now and have one of the best client bases in my company.
Currently I have 48 in person clients which train with me 1 time a week and 7 online clients out of the US, eastern Canada and China.

I train everyone from seniors, weight loss, general fitness to powerlifting, bodybuilding and combat sports.

I have taken minimum 2 course per year over the last 5 and put education first. I have also taken public speaking, marketing and two life coaching courses. But I guess I know it all. Even in the past I made a thread about my own fitness journey and took mad heat for what I was doing but it taught me alot because I can take constructive criticism. If anything I welcomed it because it made me pursue even more education.

I am a 33 year old "kid" that travels, plays poker, and has everything figured out. You know why? Because im Happy and I do things on my terms.

You will learn quick once you have approached all your friends and family that your social circle is small and you need to find ways to meet people to grow your client base. Im not calling you out for not using social media Im saying its a free tool to build your business so why not use it.

If anything why even ask for advice if you are unwilling to change your ways. Anyone and I mean anyone can train someone and get a result. Building long term results, relationships, creating a product and then actually trying to sell is where people fail.

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Im 33 and quit a dead end job to go to university for this when i was 23. Ive been in the industry for 8 years now and have one of the best client bases in my company.
Currently I have 48 in person clients which train with me 1 time a week and 7 online clients out of the US, eastern Canada and China.

I train everyone from seniors, weight loss, general fitness to powerlifting, bodybuilding and combat sports.

I have taken minimum 2 course per year over the last 5 and put education first. I have also taken public speaking, marketing and two life coaching courses. But I guess I know it all. Even in the past I made a thread about my own fitness journey and took mad heat for what I was doing but it taught me alot because I can take constructive criticism. If anything I welcomed it because it made me pursue even more education.

I am a 33 year old "kid" that travels, plays poker, and has everything figured out. You know why? Because im Happy and I do things on my terms.

You will learn quick once you have approached all your friends and family that your social circle is small and you need to find ways to meet people to grow your client base. Im not calling you out for not using social media Im saying its a free tool to build your business so why not use it.

If anything why even ask for advice if you are unwilling to change your ways. Anyone and I mean anyone can train someone and get a result. Building long term results, relationships, creating a product and then actually trying to sell is where people fail.

I did the exact thing that was suggested in this thread the last time I tried Instafake and all I got was hate, flack and passive aggressive call-outs from your LA and Miami counterparts lol. A few gym vids explaining what I was doing and why, suggesting some routines that yielded me results, some nutrition tips, tried to avoid too many douchey ab pics, matter of fact most lifting vids I wore a hoodie to deliberately emphasize what I was doing as opposed to showing off, I didn't do memes at all, a few snowboard pics here and there, hiking, my mom's yappy little chihuaha, very few pics of nice meals/going out on dates with my gf, etc, posted about my last trip to London and the 2 concerts I went to, seriously, my page wasn't all that different from yours like at all. Managed to get almost 600 followers in 2 weeks, then all I saw was the same people posting selfie after selfie after selfie, meme after meme after meme, and the second I'd post anything that wasn't directly gym related I'd get a dozen or so unfollows, but here you are claiming your poker pics are part of the image that make up part of your meal ticket? I mean come on, I don't have much of a life, I can admit that, and I couldn't find time to commit to that so how on Earth does a successful trainer with lots going on in their lives manage that? Then those "public figure" people who figure I should be one of their 129k followers yet they follow 32 in return? I never expected pages like CT Fletcher or Strength Cartel to follow me back but if you're some nobody Rich Piana look alike in Iowa with 98k followers why should that impress me? Why the fuck should I care about your page if you don't care about mine?

It's just too fuckin much and so little of it seems real...

scboss
02-09-2019, 05:17 PM
I did the exact thing that was suggested in this thread the last time I tried Instafake and all I got was hate, flack and passive aggressive call-outs from your LA and Miami counterparts lol. A few gym vids explaining what I was doing and why, suggesting some routines that yielded me results, some nutrition tips, tried to avoid too many douchey ab pics, matter of fact most lifting vids I wore a hoodie to deliberately emphasize what I was doing as opposed to showing off, I didn't do memes at all, a few snowboard pics here and there, hiking, my mom's yappy little chihuaha, very few pics of nice meals/going out on dates with my gf, etc, posted about my last trip to London and the 2 concerts I went to, seriously, my page wasn't all that different from yours like at all. Managed to get almost 600 followers in 2 weeks, then all I saw was the same people posting selfie after selfie after selfie, meme after meme after meme, and the second I'd post anything that wasn't directly gym related I'd get a dozen or so unfollows, but here you are claiming your poker pics are part of the image that make up part of your meal ticket? I mean come on, I don't have much of a life, I can admit that, and I couldn't find time to commit to that so how on Earth does a successful trainer with lots going on in their lives manage that? Then those "public figure" people who figure I should be one of their 129k followers yet they follow 32 in return? I never expected pages like CT Fletcher or Strength Cartel to follow me back but if you're some nobody Rich Piana look alike in Iowa with 98k followers why should that impress me? Why the fuck should I care about your page if you don't care about mine?

It's just too fuckin much and so little of it seems real...

Yeah i get it man but it can help ill give you an example. I had a client I use to train 2 years ago and he just couldnt commit to any of his goals. He didnt want to change his eating, his lifestyle he just wanted quick results and he fell off. Fast forward to october he messages me on instagram. He says hey boss do you have space for me if i come back. Fast forward to now hes down 30lbs and consistent as hell. Why did he contact me?

I was relevant in his life because of instagram. If anything I just use it for myself and to keep in touch with people ive already met. Even something like playing poker its just something i do for fun. Im not posting it because of likes im posting it because I had fun and its what I like to do.

Staying relevant in peoples day to day life is the key. I have 800 followers and i follow close to 500. I only follow back people I have met or I have talked to. I dont worry about likes or follows but thats probably why I have 800 followers after 6 years lol.

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Yeah i get it man but it can help ill give you an example. I had a client I use to train 2 years ago and he just couldnt commit to any of his goals. He didnt want to change his eating, his lifestyle he just wanted quick results and he fell off. Fast forward to october he messages me on instagram. He says hey boss do you have space for me if i come back. Fast forward to now hes down 30lbs and consistent as hell. Why did he contact me?

I was relevant in his life because of instagram. If anything I just use it for myself and to keep in touch with people ive already met. Even something like playing poker its just something i do for fun. Im not posting it because of likes im posting it because I had fun and its what I like to do.

Staying relevant in peoples day to day life is the key. I have 800 followers and i follow close to 500. I only follow back people I have met or I have talked to. I dont worry about likes or follows but thats probably why I have 800 followers after 6 years lol.

So by that logic then Mr Rich Piana wannabe is relevant to 98k people's day to day lives while less than 100 are relevant to his? Now what does that equate to? Conceit, and being self absorbed come to mind.

If you don't worry about likes and follows let's see your followers drop down to 30 and see if you're singing the same tune. A tool is only a tool if it works, and in this case this tool needs an audience to work, and a person who needs an audience needs attention, and a person who needs attention, well that can go in several different directions.

Glad it works for you but like I said I did pretty much the same thing and all I got was hate and ridicule and people not bringing fuck all to the table. It'all about those little red dots... face it. And that's where the fake comes in. It's hard for me to grasp how you can actually genuinely sincerely care what the fuck your 800 followers (aside from your clients) are doing day to day. Now you're gonna reply, saying you care about all those people, blah blah well that's the facade isn't it?

You're pretty knowledgeable by the looks of things so then you must know how those little red dots hit your dopamine receptors. It's sad and scary to me that this is what humanity has come to.

I don't doubt that you're successful but I think your real success is building that facade with what people like you claim is "just Instagram" yet you might as well be floating on an iceberg without it.

Funny, the people that matter in my life, the ones that truly matter, can reach me 24/7/365.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 07:32 PM
heavy, I don't know what you are trying to prove here. You've asked for advice, and you've gotten it, and according to you, everyone who has given you advice is full of shit. What's your goal with this?

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 07:55 PM
heavy, I don't know what you are trying to prove here. You've asked for advice, and you've gotten it, and according to you, everyone who has given you advice is full of shit. What's your goal with this?

No, you're not all full of shit. At this point I'd like to know why my Insta page was eerily similar to sc's and all I got was negativity, call outs and flack.

Solely based on my attitude in this thread, the answer is obvious but that aside I did make an honest effort to not make it all about me, bring something to the table, and stay on topic during my last IG attempt.

I'm not that bad of a person ok.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 08:06 PM
I don't think you are a bad guy, and I'm not a personal trainer and I'm not on Instagram. Every type of social media will attract a certain amount of negativity, that's just a fact. How easily you ignore that and stay positive will determine how much that negativity defines your account, and your experience on that platform.

Let's ask a hypothetical question. If your Instagram account had 800 followers, and you thought 750 of them were either negative or neutral, would you consider that a failure?

scboss
02-09-2019, 08:29 PM
So by that logic then Mr Rich Piana wannabe is relevant to 98k people's day to day lives while less than 100 are relevant to his? Now what does that equate to? Conceit, and being self absorbed come to mind.

If you don't worry about likes and follows let's see your followers drop down to 30 and see if you're singing the same tune. A tool is only a tool if it works, and in this case this tool needs an audience to work, and a person who needs an audience needs attention, and a person who needs attention, well that can go in several different directions.

Glad it works for you but like I said I did pretty much the same thing and all I got was hate and ridicule and people not bringing fuck all to the table. It'all about those little red dots... face it. And that's where the fake comes in. It's hard for me to grasp how you can actually genuinely sincerely care what the fuck your 800 followers (aside from your clients) are doing day to day. Now you're gonna reply, saying you care about all those people, blah blah well that's the facade isn't it?

You're pretty knowledgeable by the looks of things so then you must know how those little red dots hit your dopamine receptors. It's sad and scary to me that this is what humanity has come to.

I don't doubt that you're successful but I think your real success is building that facade with what people like you claim is "just Instagram" yet you might as well be floating on an iceberg without it.

Funny, the people that matter in my life, the ones that truly matter, can reach me 24/7/365.

Almost all of my business was built off prospecting, referrals and taking consultations at my gym. The last 3 years has been purely referrals, talking to people and online.

It's just a tool to add man not a nessesity. It's a good way to stay in touch with people and possibly get a lead. You care way to much what people think and take shit super personal.

flipstah
02-09-2019, 09:29 PM
To the original question: I don't think Instagram is a must-have requirement to succeed but rather another tool in the arsenal to build your clientele. There are other sockets in the tool kit even though everything is 10mm.

If you're good, people will come and I met scboss through here, way before Instagram became a business platform, and he offers tips and advice everytime I see him at the gym.

Because of him and his demeanor, I'm a loyal member of the gym. I could easily move to a gym closer to my home but don't because of the family vibe that he and the staff provide. It helps to keep you motivated.

We work out together and I've met awesome people through him and that gym.

I hope you find what you're passionate for because when you do, you'll never work again. You'll just get paid hanging out with people you love and solving things you love.

gwill
02-09-2019, 11:00 PM

I was going to ask the same thing. Hes got a personal trainer who's super successful at what he does who's finished a shit load of school offering help and hes thrown it in his face.

As I said it's a train wreck but then so were his old posts on his old company.

I can't imagine how he will be with a potential client...is he going to judge them and criticize them as much as he is here???

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 06:04 AM
I don't think you are a bad guy, and I'm not a personal trainer and I'm not on Instagram. Every type of social media will attract a certain amount of negativity, that's just a fact. How easily you ignore that and stay positive will determine how much that negativity defines your account, and your experience on that platform.

Let's ask a hypothetical question. If your Instagram account had 800 followers, and you thought 750 of them were either negative or neutral, would you consider that a failure?

I'm not sure how to answer that so I'm going to express a realistic view the way I see it. That would leave 50 followers from which to possibly acquire clients from. Out of 50, I'd say, and I'm being generous, 3-5 would be the max yield, so say 5 at, what, 10k/yr, so 50 thousand taxable dollars... now had I committed my time elsewhere than viewing hourly selfies and garbage from the other 750, I'm reasonably certain in that time frame and with the same know-how, one could land double maybe triple that amount of clients so I'd have to say, yes it would be a failure because if time is money then IMO time spent on social media giving a fuck about what somebody in Hawaii had for breakfast, or that stupid motivational Monday meme, is time wasted.

Almost all of my business was built off prospecting, referrals and taking consultations at my gym. The last 3 years has been purely referrals, talking to people and online.

It's just a tool to add man not a nessesity. It's a good way to stay in touch with people and possibly get a lead. You care way to much what people think and take shit super personal.

Oh I absolutely take shit personally. News flash- we all do. Some just hide it better than others, once again real attracts real. I got something to say I say it. I don't do passive aggressive with this bullshit notion that I can still somehow benefit from somebody whom I'd have to call out. And just like everybody else I've had this discussion with online or IRL, you act all non chalant about Insta well let's see you live without it then. You can't.

I was going to ask the same thing. Hes got a personal trainer who's super successful at what he does who's finished a shit load of school offering help and hes thrown it in his face.

As I said it's a train wreck but then so were his old posts on his old company.

I can't imagine how he will be with a potential client...is he going to judge them and criticize them as much as he is here???

The real question is why are you so involved? Are you sitting there jerking off to the thought of me failing? Why do you give a shit to begin with? Seems like you are/have been pretty involved in watching/hoping I fail, well Christ thank you it's nice to know there's someone more pathetic than me in this thread.

Once again, please go fuck off somewhere.

Toilet_X
02-10-2019, 07:29 AM
Guys leave him alone. Id like to see you guys not take things personally when youre all jacked up on water buffalo hormones.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2019, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure how to answer that so I'm going to express a realistic view the way I see it. That would leave 50 followers from which to possibly acquire clients from. Out of 50, I'd say, and I'm being generous, 3-5 would be the max yield, so say 5 at, what, 10k/yr, so 50 thousand taxable dollars... now had I committed my time elsewhere than viewing hourly selfies and garbage from the other 750, I'm reasonably certain in that time frame and with the same know-how, one could land double maybe triple that amount of clients so I'd have to say, yes it would be a failure because if time is money then IMO time spent on social media giving a fuck about what somebody in Hawaii had for breakfast, or that stupid motivational Monday meme, is time wasted.
Okay, so let's explore this. If you know ways you could gain clients more efficiently, and your view of Instagram and other social media is that it's time wasted even if it's gaining you a few clients, then I totally agree with you, social media is not for you. Forget it and move on. Use those other methods of gaining clients and be happier man.
Don't fight yourself over this issue. It sounds like you already know what's best for you.

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Okay, so let's explore this. If you know ways you could gain clients more efficiently, and your view of Instagram and other social media is that it's time wasted even if it's gaining you a few clients, then I totally agree with you, social media is not for you. Forget it and move on. Use those other methods of gaining clients and be happier man.
Don't fight yourself over this issue. It sounds like you already know what's best for you.

Yeah, I know. I'm beating myself up because clearly not everybody can be wrong and it's just one more avenue where I can't for the life of me figure out why I react the way I do.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2019, 10:24 AM
And beating up others who are only trying to help. I think most of the responses in this thread are genuinely trying to give you helpful information.

ibeast
02-10-2019, 10:40 AM
50k from about an hour a day of instagram is pretty good...

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Not when you could have spent that hour working towards a yield of 100k or more had you not wasted minutes of your life scrolling through posts about some woman's amazing pedicure on her lunch break and how awesome breakfast was or how much someone loves their kids or yet another attention whoring selfie lol

ibeast
02-10-2019, 11:01 AM
You know you can choose the people you follow right?

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 11:07 AM
You know you can choose the people you follow right?

Yeah, but you have to follow to get followers, and I really don't give a fuck about one-way attention whores who feel the need to share each meal they ate lol

Guess I could just mute them all haha

Nah, seriously, and this is the core of the problem, is me taking shit personally. When people unfollowed me I'd dm them and call them out, you think this thread is interesting? Lmao

Anyways, whatever lol I'm gonna try not to care now.

JfuckinC
02-10-2019, 11:25 AM

I think this needs to be your number one priority in life man lol, it will make things a lot better.

scboss
02-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Just post shit and leave it lol. Don't follow anyone you don't know. People have bots that follow people then unfollow them a few days later. Those people won't buy shit off you and won't benefit you in anyway so why even network with them.

You are about to start a career where no matter what you do you are in a fish bowl. You will be judged. Try not to take things personal. It was one of the main reasons I took the life coaching courses.

Most trainers never make more then 30k and fail in the first year. 27/31 of my classmates are not even in the industry anymore. They didn't know how to sell shit or deal with the pressure of being pure commission.

Try to have fun with it and if it turns into a "job" get out before you turn into something you don't want to be.

I am genuinely trying to answer your questions and give you advice not shit on you. You should try to find someone in yyc that you click with to mentor you. It will go a long way.

scboss
02-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Lol I got 2 in person clients and 1 online client off Instagram last year. It equalled $8400. Pulling 50k would be insane

ibeast
02-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Yeah any dollar gained from a free platform is amazing

03ozwhip
02-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Nah, seriously, and this is the core of the problem, is me taking shit personally. When people unfollowed me I'd dm them and call them out, you think this thread is interesting? Lmao

I wasnt going to chime in at all, because this is a good thread with alot of ups and downs, but this really stood out to me...

I'm not a fitness guy, I do have Instagram, albeit very few posts and followers because that's not what I'm in it for.

But, when I read this, the thought that came to my mind is defeat. You've defeated yourself just based on this one thing you did on social media.

Social media is fucking everywhere whether you like it or not. Things you say and do on social media will affect you personally and possibly financially.

I know if you were to come into my DM and call me out, you will stick out like a sore thumb to me, to tell all my buddies and your followers that you're a POS.

I get it, some people take things more to heart than other people, my wife is like that so I see it first hand all the time, but you have to know when to say something and when to take it in stride and let things go.

I dont think you're a bad guy, I think you've made quick decisions that can make your social media profile hurt, but at the end of the day, you dont HAVE to use IG for it, use your word of mouth and eventually social media will catch up to you.

That's my .02

bourge73
02-10-2019, 02:14 PM
I dont think you're a bad guy, I think you've made quick decisions that can make your social media profile hurt, but at the end of the day, you dont HAVE to use IG for it, use your word of mouth and eventually social media will catch up to you.

That's my .02

This is really good advice. Use it for what it is a tool. That’s it. More tools you have the better your business will be end of story man. Don’t get butt hurt over keyboard warriors who would even be able to put two sentences together IRL let alone say one off word to you or me in person. There are some of us however on here that can offer good advice , work out regularly, and are not keyboard warriors. We are actual warriors.

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 05:07 PM
Just post shit and leave it lol. Don't follow anyone you don't know. People have bots that follow people then unfollow them a few days later. Those people won't buy shit off you and won't benefit you in anyway so why even network with them.

You are about to start a career where no matter what you do you are in a fish bowl. You will be judged. Try not to take things personal. It was one of the main reasons I took the life coaching courses.

Most trainers never make more then 30k and fail in the first year. 27/31 of my classmates are not even in the industry anymore. They didn't know how to sell shit or deal with the pressure of being pure commission.

Try to have fun with it and if it turns into a "job" get out before you turn into something you don't want to be.

I am genuinely trying to answer your questions and give you advice not shit on you. You should try to find someone in yyc that you click with to mentor you. It will go a long way.

I know you're trying to help, I'm just baffled as to why my page was so similar yet a total failure. I'm not trying to get rich here- I can still make an easy G note in 8 hrs or less during my busy season. I'm doing this because it's one of 2 things I know how to do that can make me money and something that will hopefully take me out of this isolation I've been in due to the nature of my current self employment. That's a whole other battle that I'm not sure how I'm gonna deal with but that's my main goal with this trainer thing because with my current gig I'm already halfway to somewhere I don't wanna be... if I can balance out my current miserable gig that makes good money with something to actually challenge me and make me a few bucks on the side I think I may be able to work with that.

I wish it was as easy as just following people I know, let me put it this way 11 seasons straight and still no hope in hell of finding solid ski or board buddies. 5 years in the gym and never had a workout partner. Countless attempts to join in on random basketball games when I was at Repsol, no go there either. I been to 1 (one) wedding my entire life, my brother's. Didn't go camping once last summer. And 2 summer ago I only got invited out by family of all people and only because they wanted me to tow the boat out since they were towing the trailer. Then my cousin got a truck, never got invited again. That's what I go through, and I'm 40 fuckin 3 so I'm sorry for this awful demeanor but I didn't just wake up one morning and decide to be an asshole. I'm just not a guy who's company is enjoyed and that's IRL or on social media. Nothing screams loser like having 32 followers and following 3,4,5 6 hun or however many more. So, I guess that option is out.

Lol I got 2 in person clients and 1 online client off Instagram last year. It equalled $8400. Pulling 50k would be insane

Oh I knew I was likely in left field I was just going by roughly what my gf's gym charges for a year of training.

That's my .02

I just can't handle it lol I tried like 7 or 8 times since last year and 2-3 weeks max, I just can't so I delete it. If it runs in the background as a supplemental angle that's perfect I guess, but I just can't do it that way because I end up too dependent on it for reasons stated above.

This is really good advice. Use it for what it is a tool. That’s it. More tools you have the better your business will be end of story man. Don’t get butt hurt over keyboard warriors who would even be able to put two sentences together IRL let alone say one off word to you or me in person. There are some of us however on here that can offer good advice , work out regularly, and are not keyboard warriors. We are actual warriors.

I'm definitely a warrior. A lone one, but if I was anything less I wouldn't be alive today.

scboss
02-10-2019, 05:24 PM
I know you're trying to help, I'm just baffled as to why my page was so similar yet a total failure.

Oh I knew I was likely in left field I was just going by roughly what my gf's gym charges for a year of training.

I think if you focus on using your social media more for yourself and not for others you won't run into this problem. Like I said before it's not needed but it's a great way to keep tabs on clients past and present.

As for what to charge you can really do whatever you want. Since my company switched to a subscription method instead of financing my business has blown up. Not only can my client cancel anytime they want it also makes it so they never owe money.

Currently it's 65$ for a 45minute session. So if someone subscribes for 1 year 1x a week it costs 130 biweekly or 3380 per year plus tax.

It's way better because if someone loses there job or has financial issues they can opt out plus renewals are easy because it's already something they have been paying. It also makes trainers more accountable because if they are not on they can cancel. Win Win IMO.

heavyfuel
02-11-2019, 07:56 AM
I think if you focus on using your social media more for yourself and not for others you won't run into this problem. Like I said before it's not needed but it's a great way to keep tabs on clients past and present.

As for what to charge you can really do whatever you want. Since my company switched to a subscription method instead of financing my business has blown up. Not only can my client cancel anytime they want it also makes it so they never owe money.

Currently it's 65$ for a 45minute session. So if someone subscribes for 1 year 1x a week it costs 130 biweekly or 3380 per year plus tax.

It's way better because if someone loses there job or has financial issues they can opt out plus renewals are easy because it's already something they have been paying. It also makes trainers more accountable because if they are not on they can cancel. Win Win IMO.

That all makes sense... I'm still just gonna stay away from insta tho... I'm gonna leverage it thru my clients, let them post their results if they choose to and then get referrals that way if and when they're asked about their results. That way I don't have to showcase my life- or more accurately- existence.

Misterman
02-11-2019, 09:02 AM
Not when you could have spent that hour working towards a yield of 100k or more had you not wasted minutes of your life scrolling through posts about some woman's amazing pedicure on her lunch break and how awesome breakfast was or how much someone loves their kids or yet another attention whoring selfie lol

I'm just missing the part about why you are scrolling IG if your intention is to use it for marketing?

Also, no you do not have to follow to get followers. It sounds more like you're trying to gain followers than gaining clients. That might sound odd, and as you're expecting clients to come from followers. But if you have 1 million followers that have no interest in training vs 100k followers that are actively looking for or have used trainers in the past, which is more likely to gain you business?

If you are paying attention enough to know exactly who unfollowed you, and then spending more time "calling them out", then you are using your time on IG very inefficiently. And you're also having the exact opposite effect that you're wanting. People will follow you and train with you because they resonate with your personality and attitude. If you present the personality of a know it all angry guy, that is who you will likely attract. And know it alls don't pay for training................because they think they already know it all. Now that's not to say it's about being fake and presenting a façade of what you think people want. It's about growing yourself into a better version of yourself, and then naturally attracting people like you. I'd recommend reading some books by John Maxwell, or How to Win Friends and Influence People. Dry reading, but very helpful and relevant if you want to be successful in an industry that is grown on personal relationships.

heavyfuel
02-11-2019, 09:15 AM
I'm just missing the part about why you are scrolling IG if your intention is to use it for marketing?

Also, no you do not have to follow to get followers. It sounds more like you're trying to gain followers than gaining clients. That might sound odd, and as you're expecting clients to come from followers. But if you have 1 million followers that have no interest in training vs 100k followers that are actively looking for or have used trainers in the past, which is more likely to gain you business?

If you are paying attention enough to know exactly who unfollowed you, and then spending more time "calling them out", then you are using your time on IG very inefficiently. And you're also having the exact opposite effect that you're wanting. People will follow you and train with you because they resonate with your personality and attitude. If you present the personality of a know it all angry guy, that is who you will likely attract. And know it alls don't pay for training................because they think they already know it all. Now that's not to say it's about being fake and presenting a façade of what you think people want. It's about growing yourself into a better version of yourself, and then naturally attracting people like you. I'd recommend reading some books by John Maxwell, or How to Win Friends and Influence People. Dry reading, but very helpful and relevant if you want to be successful in an industry that is grown on personal relationships.

Hahah I actually downloaded an app to keep track of that shit lol and it became a living nightmare because I couldn't go an hour without monitoring it. I have deep rooted abandonment issues from when I was a kid so to avoid rejection I been avoiding interaction, until IG came along and made my life hell because of my scars and how personally I take it. I don't know what reason I gave for all those so called friends to just leave me there that day when I was 6 but believe me anybody leaves me now I'm gonna give them plenty of good God damned reasons. Yeah I got issues, well aware.

Lol I got like barely a chapter into that book and I think it ended up in the recycling bin... you're right on many key points, but it doesn't matter because I'm not going down IG street again anytime soon.

From what I gather IG only works if you have a social life to begin with, and I don't, so fuck it for now.

heavyfuel
02-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Nearing the end of the course. Not even sure I wanna do this anymore. What a fucking joke. So much irrelevant scientific bullshit. I can't imagine actually going to school. Jesus Christ, and I know for a fact I'm already fully capable of getting results without all this bullshit. Fuck

killramos
02-13-2019, 07:35 PM
:rofl:

heavyfuel
02-13-2019, 08:57 PM
I'm literally melting down with anxiety over these bullshit essays... Here I am 260 to 220 7% body fat and ripped like half my age, in less than a year and staying that way for 5 years now... with no help whatsoever no trainer no nutrition counselling nothing.

Now I gotta write some bullshit essay about ATP pathways and anoerobic/aerobic whatever the fuck and how it affects everything? Fuck off with that noise

Fuck this, seriously, and yeah fuck being a trainer and "selling a lifestyle" and building rapports and community and all that bullshit, and for what? Some motherfucker with more money that motivation is just gonna blame me when he or she can't put the fuckin muffins down? Fuck that noise I'm not taking blame for anything.

That course can really fuck off. If someone wants to listen, I will always help. Those who want to argue, can argue with the abs and fuck off back to their stupid little books

When I looked in the mirror 5 years ago I wanted change. I wanted it bad enough that I made it happen, by myself, for myself.

Any motherfucker that wants it bad enough can do it on their own. I'm not needed anyways.

Fuck off

egmilano
02-13-2019, 10:00 PM
I'm literally melting down with anxiety over these bullshit essays... Here I am 260 to 220 7% body fat and ripped like half my age, in less than a year and staying that way for 5 years now... with no help whatsoever no trainer no nutrition counselling nothing.

Now I gotta write some bullshit essay about ATP pathways and anoerobic/aerobic whatever the fuck and how it affects everything? Fuck off with that noise

Fuck this, seriously, and yeah fuck being a trainer and "selling a lifestyle" and building rapports and community and all that bullshit, and for what? Some motherfucker with more money that motivation is just gonna blame me when he or she can't put the fuckin muffins down? Fuck that noise I'm not taking blame for anything.

That course can really fuck off. If someone wants to listen, I will always help. Those who want to argue, can argue with the abs and fuck off back to their stupid little books

When I looked in the mirror 5 years ago I wanted change. I wanted it bad enough that I made it happen, by myself, for myself.

Any motherfucker that wants it bad enough can do it on their own. I'm not needed anyways.

Fuck off

You sound like an ego lifter like the douche bags you b!tch about !
You're using ISSA, the easy way into the industry like canfitpro... what kind of material did you expect LOL

killramos
02-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Sounds like Mr. Heavy just wants to be paid to hang out at the gym and brag about his body fat % :rofl:

What’s the term? Don’t quit your day job?

heavyfuel
02-13-2019, 10:52 PM
You sound like an ego lifter like the douche bags you b!tch about !
You're using ISSA, the easy way into the industry like canfitpro... what kind of material did you expect LOL

That's exactly right, and I agree with you 100% there, now if I can't even calm down enough to get through this exam I can only imagine going to school for years, ummm nope. This turned out to be a knee jerk reaction to another recent new career rejection... big surprise lol

I brag because I can back it up 100% and I don't need some bullshit certification to help me with that. Sure, I guess that's ego but I prefer to call it insecurity because I'm very open about being insecure. I lift because it's the only thing I have full control over in my life and really it was wrong of me to think I'd wanna share that with anyone. What I do in the gym is for me, by me, and me alone no desire to compete, pose, model, any of that bullshit I lift because I love to lift and everyone can fuck off

Sounds like Mr. Heavy just wants to be paid to hang out at the gym and brag about his body fat % :rofl:

What’s the term? Don’t quit your day job?

I back it up, so it's not bragging lol

Dead slow winter so far but $2300 in less than 12 hrs so far this week, don't you worry I'm not quitting my day job.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 12:15 AM
A quote from my favorite rapper and IMO one of the greatest ever. Makes perfect fucking sense to me.

“the advice I like to give artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. if you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. all the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. things occur to you. if you're sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. but if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. you feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that's almost never the case.”

I just recently happened upon this quote but I've come a long way in 5 years with that message and it was the stupidest idea I ever had that I would waste any amount of time trying to inspire others. Let alone whatever the fuck inspired me to try and give a fuck about such a bullshit unnecessary course. Inspiration fucked me over.

mazdavirgin
02-14-2019, 12:38 AM
Here I am 260 to 220 7% body fat and ripped like half my age, in less than a year and staying that way for 5 years now... with no help whatsoever no trainer no nutrition counselling nothing.

So how much juice you on?

scboss
02-14-2019, 02:08 AM

lol just finish it. The stuff you are taking is so basic its not even funny. If you ever want to train people that are in better shape or stronger then you it will be very useful information. They will no give two shits what you can do for yourself.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 06:24 AM
lol just finish it. The stuff you are taking is so basic its not even funny. If you ever want to train people that are in better shape or stronger then you it will be very useful information. They will no give two shits what you can do for yourself.

Exactly. It's so basic, and making me feel so stupid because I've accomplished what I have without ever even having heard of some of those terms. I don't have it in me to micro manage, I've never been able to and it seems that's what this is. Are you fucking with me now? I can't wrap my head around why anyone stronger and/or in better shape than me would even entertain the thought of hiring me as a trainer. Hell, even if by some miracle I do get through this nonsense the only thing I'd wanna do anyways is help people with initial weight loss. Then trainers like yourself can take over when these people wanna try and win competitions and stupid shit like that. I love to lift and keep fit and this feels like it's gonna ruin that for me if I go too much further down this rabbit hole of unnecessary information.

When I started getting in shape I had this drive and motivation to change, millions of people have that fire burning inside them and unfortunately more people don't. I don't care how good of a trainer anyone claims to be, that shit can't be bought and sold. Either you have it or you don't. And I'm not trying to take money from those who don't have that fire burning inside only to shoulder the blame because they don't want this bad enough to begin with, all the while in typical stupid rich people fashion thinking they can change something by throwing money at it.

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2019, 07:22 AM
Follow through and finish, success in training and anything else is mostly mental strength/resilience. How are you going to teach THAT if you can't demonstrate it. And if you can only accomplish that in the "easy" obstacles of life (in your case, fitness training is easy for you) then you're not growing.

You could finish that course if you wanted to, just like some of your potential clients could get in shape if they wanted to. How are you going to teach the real strength when you back down from uncomfortable mental challenges yourself?

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Follow through and finish, success in training and anything else is mostly mental strength/resilience. How are you going to teach THAT if you can't demonstrate it. And if you can only accomplish the "easy" obstacles in life then you're not growing.

I don't want this dude... it was a knee jerk reaction to another rejection. I made a mistake. I don't think straight or function too well. But that's obvious.

I don't fuckin belong in that world and it's painfully obvious. Why do you think I work out at the Y and not a smaller or more "bro" gym?

killramos
02-14-2019, 07:41 AM
I’m starting to think all these threads and posts were just an excuse to come onto beyond and flex online and he never had intention of getting into training. I mean how can anyone be so ill informed about what it takes to be a trainer.

Must be very sad to need recognition so bad you come to brag on a car forum you haven’t been on after how many years?

Also, you do realize that you don’t have to be lieing to brag about something? Interesting perspective.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 07:47 AM
I’m starting to think all these threads and posts were just an excuse to come onto beyond and flex online and he never had intention of getting into training. I mean how can anyone be so ill informed about what it takes to be a trainer.

Must be very sad to need recognition so bad you come to brag on a car forum you haven’t been on after how many years?

Also, you do realize that you don’t have to be lieing to brag about something? Interesting perspective.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Obviously the roughest shit you've been thru might have been waiting for parts for your Benz. I'm glad you're such a resilient and non judgmental productive member of society. I don't wish this upon you or anyone. Take that however you will.

In hindsight, yeah this isn't really a place I should have sought advice.

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2019, 08:03 AM

I don't think that's really a fair or accurate assessment at all.

- - - Updated - - -

In hindsight, yeah this isn't really a place I should have sought advice.

Neither is that, you've received a lot.

Training your mindset is the hardest thing of all, you have every tool you need to be successful other than negative self image/self talk. You decide to train THAT and the other attributes you already possess will take you wherever you decide to go.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 08:10 AM
I don't think that's really a fair or accurate assessment at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither is that, you've received a lot.

Training your mindset is the hardest thing of all, you have every tool you need to be successful other than negative self image/self talk. You decide to train THAT and the other attributes you already possess will take you wherever you decide to go.

Oh ya cuz KR's assessment is bang on and super fair, right? Dish it out and I'm dishing it right back.

It's not negative, it's reality dude. Just the way it is.

You all don't know what darkness is. You really don't.

killramos
02-14-2019, 08:17 AM
You are going to take this badly. But you really should consider getting some help.

You just snapped at the guy who was trying to defend you and you don’t even realize it.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services/page11443.aspx

1-877-303-2642

There are some good starting points.

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2019, 08:17 AM
You'll notice I disagreed with his entire assessment actually. and it's just as arrogant for you to assume people don't understand certain things as it is for them to assume they know you.

Ego is the biggest thing holding you back, and honestly if you think I mean that negatively in the sense of arrogance or hubris then you don't understand what I mean.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 08:42 AM
You are going to take this badly. But you really should consider getting some help.

You just snapped at the guy who was trying to defend you and you don’t even realize it.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services/page11443.aspx

1-877-303-2642

There are some good starting points.

Oh I'm well aware that I need help. But no amount of help can change the way people see me, can change the fact that I repel people without even trying and despite even trying very hard to do the opposite, you don't get it man I was left there by so called friends when I was 6 for no apparent reason. If I knew what I did wrong I'd own it. How the fuck can a 6 year old know what they did wrong in that context? You gonna say I'm making that shit up too?

And sorry man, I know I'm stupid as fuck and all but I do know how to read and it seems you called me out on never having intended to be a trainer and me making all this shit up so I can come on here and "flex" now I'm really curious as to how that was defending me.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 08:53 AM
You'll notice I disagreed with his entire assessment actually. and it's just as arrogant for you to assume people don't understand certain things as it is for them to assume they know you.

Ego is the biggest thing holding you back, and honestly if you think I mean that negatively in the sense of arrogance or hubris then you don't understand what I mean.

You edited your original reply because originally it was my reply that you quoted as being unfair.

Wow, this is fuckin funny to you guys eh?

ExtraSlow
02-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Did you know that if your doctor or one of the AHS mental health hotlines refers you to a therapist or psychologist, then it's covered by Alberta health and is free to you?

Also, the distress centre is a great service, and again, free. They do phone, and even an online chat which is pretty handy.

gwill
02-14-2019, 08:57 AM

I thought the thread was done and then heavy started talking to himself. The train wreck continues.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 09:04 AM
I thought the thread was done and then heavy started talking to himself. The train wreck continues.

Every time you interject you give me hope that I'm not the most pathetic person in this thread. And you could have every user on here saying the opposite and I will still not be swayed. Thank you kind sir, and have a most wonderful morning.

killramos
02-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Did you know that if your doctor or one of the AHS mental health hotlines refers you to a therapist or psychologist, then it's covered by Alberta health and is free to you?

Also, the distress centre is a great service, and again, free. They do phone, and even an online chat which is pretty handy.

Great resources

JRSC00LUDE
02-14-2019, 09:21 AM
You edited your original reply because originally it was my reply that you quoted as being unfair.

Wow, this is fuckin funny to you guys eh?

No, that is incorrect. I originally called his response unfair and then, yours. I again edited for spelling because I'm like that.

I don't have the slightest notion why you would feel I think any of this "is fuckin funny", nor do I understand why you're being so defensive. I think you would be hard pressed to find any negativity I've posted toward you during your return to this forum or, in years previous. I'm sure if you go back enough years you'll find some jabs/smartass sarcasm if you feel the need to validate why you're going on the attack but that would be a waste of time.

I hope you choose to accept some of the great advice that's been offered on several fronts. If you think you're worth it, you will. If you don't, that's unfortunate. Best of luck either way.

- Seacrest out.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Saw several counselors over the years, it doesn't help one bit. My doc suggested wellbutrin, it's been almost a month and the only positive difference is when I wake up at 3 am or when I'm alone on a weekend I no longer feel like I'm trapped on an iceberg in the dark but I still wake up at 3-4 am no matter what, I feel like if my brain shuts off something, somehow is really going to get me. And it's more important for me to stay vigilant than to get much needed rest in the hopes that I can function properly. And I'm being serious.

- - - Updated - - -

No, that is incorrect. I originally called his response unfair and then, yours. I again edited for spelling because I'm like that.

I don't have the slightest notion why you would feel I think any of this "is fuckin funny", nor do I understand why you're being so defensive. I think you would be hard pressed to find any negativity I've posted toward you during your return to this forum or, in years previous. I'm sure if you go back enough years you'll find some jabs/smartass sarcasm if you feel the need to validate why you're going on the attack but that would be a waste of time.

I hope you choose to accept some of the great advice that's been offered on several fronts. If you think you're worth it, you will. If you don't, that's unfortunate. Best of luck either way.

- Seacrest out.

Nah, I know you never harbored any ill will towards me, totally get that. I did notice an edit tho and well, we've established that I don't do so well in the thinking department, so, anyways FWIW I do apologize

ThePenIsMightier
02-14-2019, 09:54 AM
I am new here but I am confident that this will be the lamest thread of 2019.
Someone more experienced should officially make the call. It's ballsy to call it when it started in January but I think it needs to be done.

Darkane
02-14-2019, 10:06 AM
heavy

If you’re truly 220@7%, i suggest you hire a prep coach and do a mock bodybuilding preparation. Do 12 weeks, and then hire a photographer to do a pro shoot.

Save those pictures. People never get to 7% at 220, let alone in their 40s. If you’re truly that conditioned and muscular, you’re a provincial or even national level competitor. I think you’re like 6’ tall aren’t you?

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-14-2019, 10:06 AM
I don't want this dude... it was a knee jerk reaction to another rejection. I made a mistake. I don't think straight or function too well. But that's obvious.

I don't fuckin belong in that world and it's painfully obvious. Why do you think I work out at the Y and not a smaller or more "bro" gym?

You go to the Shane Homes YMCA, right? Are you usually there weekday mornings around 9am? I used to go there every morning, but had to transition to an afternoon schedule. Maybe you're not the guy I'm thinking of... Wear a long hoodie each day, and compression pants?

Misterman
02-14-2019, 10:17 AM

More importantly, how do you intend to train people that actually struggle to get in shape, when you don't understand basic concepts like ATP and what not.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 10:53 AM
heavy

If you’re truly 220@7%, i suggest you hire a prep coach and do a mock bodybuilding preparation. Do 12 weeks, and then hire a photographer to do a pro shoot.

Save those pictures. People never get to 7% at 220, let alone in their 40s. If you’re truly that conditioned and muscular, you’re a provincial or even national level competitor. I think you’re like 6’ tall aren’t you?

I'm not making it up.... I'm a God damned disaster that's for sure but this is 100% truth. 6.8% @ 229 in October, let my eating go a bit last week so I'm currently at 226 this morning, my usual fluctuations have been 220-230. Either way I'm maintaining well under 10% and I don't track every last macro like I did in the beginning.

See that's the thing, I have absolutely no desire to compete or do any of that! Bodybuilding purely for show, or modeling, or repping merch or any of that has just never appealed to me. Thanks for the encouragemnt, I truly mean that, but I just have no interest.

https://i.ibb.co/0CtZdfL/IMG-4093.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly, how do you intend to train people that actually struggle to get in shape, when you don't understand basic concepts like ATP and what not.

I no longer intend to, ugh how many times do I have to post that this was a knee jerk reaction to another potential job rejection?!! Plus I never even knew there was such a thing as ATP pathways until last week haha and I seemed to figure shit out just fine

- - - Updated - - -

You go to the Shane Homes YMCA, right? Are you usually there weekday mornings around 9am? I used to go there every morning, but had to transition to an afternoon schedule. Maybe you're not the guy I'm thinking of... Wear a long hoodie each day, and compression pants?

Sometimes I wear a hoodie, but never, ever have I worn pants in the gym lol let alone compression ones haha

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Now I'm just curious if I've ever seen you there.

Perfect Dark
02-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Now I'm just curious if I've ever seen you there.

Just look for the old guy with the sweet abs who's likely throwing a bench across the room.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Just look for the old guy with the sweet abs who's likely throwing a bench across the room.

It's not even that complicated. You don't even need to look. If you're like most people you'll just feel the bad energy coming off of me when you're within 30 ft. Seriously. I have this way about me that can't be fixed or changed. I'm learning to accept it. It's not easy but it is what it is.

mazdavirgin
02-14-2019, 12:16 PM
It's not even that complicated. You don't even need to look. If you're like most people you'll just feel the bad energy coming off of me when you're within 30 ft. Seriously. I have this way about me that can't be fixed or changed. I'm learning to accept it. It's not easy but it is what it is.

So just an FYI those inbody machines are not accurate at all... They use bioelectrical impedance which isn't accurate. Get a proper dexa scan or a hydrostatic test done.

Either way if you're 220lbs at 7% I wonder if the juice isn't what making you all crazy... Staying at 7% isn't something normally done and well you're within the range of Arnold during his mister olympia prime.

Brent.ff
02-14-2019, 12:29 PM
So just an FYI those inbody machines are not accurate at all... They use bioelectrical impedance which isn't accurate.

bioelectrical impedance accuracy was covered after ATP pathways... damnit!

scboss
02-14-2019, 12:30 PM
So just an FYI those inbody machines are not accurate at all... They use bioelectrical impedance which isn't accurate. Get a proper dexa scan or a hydrostatic test done.

Either way if you're 220lbs at 7% I wonder if the juice isn't what making you all crazy... Staying at 7% isn't something normally done and well you're within the range of Arnold during his mister olympia prime.

Its pretty accurate (within 4ish%) but it doesn't tell the whole story. If you hydrate yourself like crazy it will show up as lbm because the water goes into your muscle. Different types of food can also throw it off. If you workout then take it the bf% will lower based off the water going into the muscle. Even messing up the height let's say by two inches can drop the bodyfat 2-6% if you put yourself as taller.

This guy must be jacked though. I'm 6'3 and 12%bf. My lbm is 109-111 and I'm between 214-220. I started at 160lbs and although my lbm is going up my body doesn't like it and it's super slow

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Yes, I was told at the time that the hydrostatic is more accurate. In the meantime I got what I got. Still well under 10 either way. And if you really think you need gear to accomplish under 10% bf then you're clearly less knowledgeable than even myself.

heavyfuel
02-14-2019, 12:34 PM
Its pretty accurate (within 4ish%) but it doesn't tell the whole story. If you hydrate yourself like crazy it will show up as lbm because the water goes into your muscle. Different types of food can also throw it off. If you workout then take it the bf% will lower based off the water going into the muscle. Even messing up the height let's say by two inches can drop the bodyfat 2-6% if you put yourself as taller.

This guy must be jacked though. I'm 6'3 and 12%bf. My lbm is 109-111 and I'm between 214-220. I started at 160lbs and although my lbm is going up my body doesn't like it and it's super slow

This was done pre workout, after a big unhealthy calorie laden leg day fuel breakfast, to be fair. I don't think I'm "jacked" per se I see tons of guys more filled out than me, that's never been my goal to be "jacked". Not being a fat fuck on top of my regular life struggles was my goal, that and endurance.

scboss
02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
This was done pre workout, after a big unhealthy calorie laden leg day fuel breakfast, to be fair. I don't think I'm "jacked" per se I see tons of guys more filled out than me, that's never been my goal to be "jacked". Not being a fat fuck on top of my regular life struggles was my goal, that and endurance.

Lol being under 10% is not normal. Only time I've seen it on my clients is if they are skinny af ectomorphs or we have dieted them for something. At the bf you have you should see every muscle and even some feathering if it was accurate.

On a side note the atp "bullshit" is very important especially if recommending supplements like creatine.

Misterman
02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Lol being under 10% is not normal. Only time I've seen it on my clients is if they are skinny af ectomorphs or we have dieted them for something. At the bf you have you should see every muscle and even some feathering if it was accurate.

On a side note the atp "bullshit" is very important especially if recommending supplements like creatine.

Who's to say? BF% seems like an all over the map thing. I've heard people say things like "Anything under 10% is RIPPED" On calipers, I come out to 8%, and I'm soft for my normal self. Bottom abs are a little washed, definitely no feathering at all. If I'm dieted up for Mexico vacation I'm more like 6-7%, and competition dieted is like 3%.

And Normal is a bit subjective. I normally eat fairly keto'ish Mon-Fri, cheat meals only on weekends, so under 10% is pretty normal for me. Is it normal for others? No probably not, but only because normal people don't exercise 5 times a week, eat fast food as the majority of their food consumption, and guzzle pop instead of water when they're thirsty.