PDA

View Full Version : Maybe mandatory vehicle inspections should be a thing

speedog
01-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Spotted at the Huntington Hills Superstore tonight, rusty early 90's Camaro being driven by a middle aged Caucasian lady - mandatory vehicle inspections should catch this, looking just in front of driver's side rear tire..

ExtraSlow
01-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Even every five years would do wonders for some of these junkers. Although, I wonder how many accidents are really caused by these? I'd guess this kind of person doesn't drive a lot of kms per year.

2Legit2Quit
01-30-2019, 08:57 AM
As someone who has to deal with yearly inspections, fuck no. Cash grab to the nines, I get what you're saying but you'd grow to hate them real quick, especially for how many windshields are fucked in Alberta :rofl:

Tik-Tok
01-30-2019, 09:06 AM
IMO the people merging onto Deerfoot at 60kph pose more of a danger than the 1 in 10,000 cars that are like this.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this cash grab in the future of "no new taxes"

speedog
01-30-2019, 09:18 AM
I am by no means saying annual inspections but something like this is not all that safe and is probably inductive of possible worse problems on this particular vehicle.

ExtraSlow
01-30-2019, 09:28 AM
I would be in favour of an evidence based policy. I wonder if the police keep statistics of how many injury colisions are the result of faulty equipment or lack of maintenance? My gut feel is that it would be vanishingly small, but I'd be open to the discussion if there was relevant statistical evidence to support it.

speedog
01-30-2019, 10:10 AM
So people in here seem to be okay with the obvious issue on this car. Interesting indeed.

Tik-Tok
01-30-2019, 10:20 AM
So people in here seem to be okay with the obvious issue on this car. Interesting indeed.

I'm not okay with it, but there's bigger dangers on the road, and annual inspections have been proven to be a sham and cash grab.

ThePenIsMightier
01-30-2019, 10:22 AM

I didn't read that... So, no.
What was said was that the incredible burden of mandatory inspections isn't worth it for how limited a problem this actually is particularly when compared to actual prevalent safety issues that could be more readily addressed.

Maxx Mazda
01-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Fuck no to mandatory inspections.

Everyone knows that beige camry’s are what cause accidents. And they don’t even have anything broken.

TurboMedic
01-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Also not for annual inspections. The amount of vehicles that would actually have this degree of problems and remain actually drivable/maneuverable I would anticipate to be quite low. That said, I'm surprised we don't see more ball join failures with our roads and the salt.

dirtsniffer
01-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Based on the accidents I see people usually have one or more "O"s and are driving a newer crossover.

Sugarphreak
01-30-2019, 06:42 PM

ShermanEF9
02-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Keep in mind that yearly inspections will also mean that modifications will probably be a no go. also why should i pay to have my brand new f150 inspected?

EDIT: Pointed out below they can do this. neato.

Rat Fink
02-05-2019, 09:02 PM

bjstare
02-06-2019, 09:00 AM
It's got winter tires, it's probably less likely to get in an accident than half of the cars on the road right now.

HiTempguy1
02-06-2019, 09:16 AM

You say its an obvious "issue". If it hasn't caused a problem, it clearly isn't an issue.

I bet more people get in accidents from.exploding tires due to running on the highway at 5psi then people do from vehicles like this.

Accidents caused by poor maintenance are so miniscule, it would be insane to bring in inspections for that.

Some strong "won't someone think of the children!!" With this one

Skrilla
02-06-2019, 09:17 AM
The thing is though a lot of people who drive beaters have a "guy" who signs off on their inspection form. Unless they are being directed to a certain shop for re-inspection, than this would fix nothing. But I agree, I wouldn't want this, there would have to be some stipulations put on it ie. year/value etc, even then I'll pass on the idea of it. Can't say I have ever been involved in an accident or seen one that would directly relate to vehicle being a POS is the reason for the accident. For me, its distracted driving that is a much bigger issue. Had so many close calls from people on their phones, or chicks giving themselves a Maybelline makeover while driving.

Graham_A_M
02-14-2019, 10:06 PM
^ 100% agreed. In a snowstorm last week I came within inches of an accident. Girl was too lazy to clean off her windows, didnt see me and almost side swiped me

mr2mike
02-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Keep in mind that yearly inspections will also mean that modifications will probably be a no go.
Definitely.
You guys would be removing and reinstalling your window tint yearly.

Tik-Tok
02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Definitely.
You guys would be removing and reinstalling your window tint yearly.

No, I just slip "my guy" an extra $20.

adam c
02-15-2019, 02:25 PM
No, I just slip "my guy" an extra $20.

you would get pulled over, they would ask to see inspection papers, guy would lose his license unless you could prove you got it done recently, but even then it would be a stupid cause

Disoblige
02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
I'd be up for mandatory road tests every 5 years instead of vehicle inspections.

CMW403
02-15-2019, 04:39 PM
The thing is though a lot of people who drive beaters have a "guy" who signs off on their inspection form. Unless they are being directed to a certain shop for re-inspection, than this would fix nothing. But I agree, I wouldn't want this, there would have to be some stipulations put on it ie. year/value etc, even then I'll pass on the idea of it. Can't say I have ever been involved in an accident or seen one that would directly relate to vehicle being a POS is the reason for the accident. For me, its distracted driving that is a much bigger issue. Had so many close calls from people on their phones, or chicks giving themselves a Maybelline makeover while driving.

QFT

I took the same 1991 Chev Jimmy into the same Minute Lube for a three second inspection for 6 years in a row haha

Unless the government is going to run the inspections (costing us even more $$$ than this already would), then people will continue paying the same mechanic $80 to make sure the lights and brakes work and sign off every year.

revelations
02-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Mandate winter tires here before any inspection horse shit.

Much better in terms of lives and tax dollars saved for needless 911 calls due to dumb, avoidable accidents.

CMW403
02-15-2019, 07:01 PM
this this this.

Mandate winter tires here before any inspection horse shit.

Much better in terms of lives and tax dollars saved for needless 911 calls due to dumb, avoidable accidents.