PDA

View Full Version : Buying a quad??

gwill
01-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Been toying with the idea of buying a quad. Strongly considering a can am. Will be used lots in fall/winter for hunting. Seems most dealers have next to no wiggle room.

Curious on feedback for can ams and any must have accessories. I've been considering heated handles, power steering, winch as the essentials. Gun boot will most likely be added but heard mixed reviews.

Looked into polaris a bit and plan to check out some hondas tomorrow. I dont need anything fast. Simple transportation to and from spots deep in the bush.

BavarianBeast
01-30-2019, 05:19 PM
Never owned a can am but got lots of use in my polaris ranger.

I’ve got a 2010 Polaris ranger 450 that I’m looking to unload. PM me if interested. It’s the 6 seater with big bed.

bjstare
01-30-2019, 05:29 PM
You're bang on with the options you chose. My family has a couple of Can-Ams at our place in Golden, an outlander 800xt and outlander 650xt. Both have winches, heated grips. I think only the 800 has power steering. If you don't need something fast, the 650 is plenty. One thing that you didn't mention that ours both have is the back seat/trunk thing. If you ever plan on having a passenger, this is an absolute must. Makes life easier for the driver and passenger, and provides lots of useful storage. Only other thing you didn't mention is a GPS (if you don't have one already).

My parents also have a yamaha 400 (450?) with a blade that they use for shovelling their driveway. If you're looking for reliable transportation in and out of the bush, I would think that would be plenty, and much cheaper.

gwill
01-30-2019, 05:37 PM
Yeah I'll add a box to the back for added storage. Not concerned with it being a 2 seater but know I can grab a bench style setup if needed but it be rare that 2 people would be on it.

Theres a 450/570 hunting edition without me spending stupid money on a first quad. Goal was 10k or less.. which the polaris 570 hit with the options I needed. Same with the can am 450 hunting edition.

I have family with can ams which is why I started there. I dont know Yamaha at all... i assumed they were a shitty build quality.

SJW
01-30-2019, 07:04 PM
I have a Honda rincon 680 for hunting/scouting. I love it. Great suspension very smooth. Lots of power. I installed a winch myself and have a gun boot.

Maxx Mazda
01-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Absolutely a winch no ifs about it. Those quads are heavy and if you get one stuck there’s no way to free it without a winch, especially if hunting by yourself.

mzdspd
01-31-2019, 09:49 AM
If your plan is just hunting and light off roading, a 600 CC should be perfect. They are also usually cheaper to buy and more wiggle room as most people want 800-1000 machines.

I had a Arctic Cat mud pro 700 and it was a great quad. Very easy to work on and no issues. Most of my friends with Can ams (800 and 1000) were constantly running into issues with snapping axles or over heating. Keep in mind we were mudding so driving the quads really hard.

I think a 600 Quad with heated hand grips, Zilla tires (great all terrain tire), winch (get a synthetic winch line), Snatch block (these really come in handy so you are not snapping winch lines) and get a trailer hitch with hook for the back (comes in handy if you are pulling someone out).

heavyfuel
02-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Been toying with the idea of buying a quad. Strongly considering a can am. Will be used lots in fall/winter for hunting. Seems most dealers have next to no wiggle room.

Curious on feedback for can ams and any must have accessories. I've been considering heated handles, power steering, winch as the essentials. Gun boot will most likely be added but heard mixed reviews.

Looked into polaris a bit and plan to check out some hondas tomorrow. I dont need anything fast. Simple transportation to and from spots deep in the bush.

Ohhhh, you hunt. That explains it all.