PDA

View Full Version : Exporting your vehicle to USA - new option, south Trail exports

ExtraSlow
01-31-2019, 09:26 AM
I hear adverts for these guys on the radio, and it sounds pretty smart to me. They get used vehicles that they can export or sell through the affiliated dealerships. Consumers get to sell a used vehicle to a pro in what should be a simple transaction without complicating yiur next vehicle purchase. Should be a lot less hassle than Kijiji.
The advert says vehicles 2009 and newer with "average or low mileage".

Anyone deal with these guys? Pros or cons?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2019, 11:36 AM
It’s just South Trail Chrysler doing what the rest of us are already doing. Almost everything I buy is from Kijiji or word of mouth now.

A790
01-31-2019, 11:47 AM
It’s just South Trail Chrysler doing what the rest of us are already doing.

Can you elaborate on what that is?

I'm assuming the value they give you is rubbish?

you&me
01-31-2019, 11:53 AM
No, that's the angle they're playing - because they're targeting cars for export, they can pay more for your car than most "civilians" would expect. Once they've done that, they have a captive customer that they can sell a new vehicle too, based on trade credits, upping their offer, etc... It's clever, but not at all unique.

Local dealers are basically adopting the Carmax model now that they can take advantage of the favourable forex and leveraging that into new car sales.

Edit - their website is pretty self-explanatory.

Tik-Tok
01-31-2019, 12:00 PM
No, that's the angle they're playing - because they're targeting cars for export, they can pay more for your car than most "civilians" would expect. Once they've done that, they have a captive customer that they can sell a new vehicle too, based on trade credits, upping their offer, etc... It's clever, but not at all unique.

The only unique thing about them is that they're advertising, instead of just checking Kijiji everyday and scooping up the good vehicles (especially trucks). Now they want you to come to them... and knowing stealerships, you'll have to pay a $500 paperwork fee :rofl:

ExtraSlow
01-31-2019, 12:05 PM
Yeah, the advertising is unique. I know a bunch of us sold trucks in the last few years to exporters. If I was selling I'd use them as a baseline price.

you&me
01-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Yeah, like I said they're advertising so they can get you on the lot as a captive customer.

Capital Chevrolet, Kramer Mazda are a couple of other local guys I know have also advertised, but it's usually more as an "event" rather than standard practice like South Trail Exports... TONs of dealers in TO, Vancouver and Montreal advertise as well.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2019, 12:37 PM
Can you elaborate on what that is?

I'm assuming the value they give you is rubbish?

Buying private sale vehicles that are easy to wholesale to dealers in the US because of the exchange rate?

A790
01-31-2019, 12:41 PM
Buying private sale vehicles that are easy to wholesale to dealers in the US because of the exchange rate?

... are you asking me if that's what they do? I don't know. I make a point of interacting with dealerships as absolutely minimally as posible.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-31-2019, 12:48 PM
... are you asking me if that's what they do? I don't know. I make a point of interacting with dealerships as absolutely minimally as posible.

I don’t know what I put a question mark instead of a period. That’s what most of us are doing. Some are major outfits that will hundreds of vehicles and make $500/vehicle and some of us are chasing nicer lower mileage ones with larger profit margins because we are smaller outfits.

A790
01-31-2019, 01:47 PM
I don’t know what I put a question mark instead of a period. That’s what most of us are doing. Some are major outfits that will hundreds of vehicles and make $500/vehicle and some of us are chasing nicer lower mileage ones with larger profit margins because we are smaller outfits.

Oooookay that makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying :)

msommers
01-31-2019, 02:05 PM
If they want my 4R for $25K they can come by tonight.

Nufy
04-20-2021, 11:36 AM
Bump...

Anyone gone through their process ?

ExtraSlow
04-20-2021, 11:57 AM
What's mimimum for export? 6 months and 20,000km?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-20-2021, 11:59 AM
What's mimimum for export? 6 months and 20,000km?

I believe Ford is 6/15k and GM is 6/12k.

Proyecto2000
04-22-2021, 10:42 AM
Bump...

Anyone gone through their process ?

I have sold two trucks as single sales and a package of 8 trucks to Matt at South Trail in the last 12 months. Super easy transaction, you call him up and tell him what you have and you send photos of inside, dash and exterior. If you have a copy of your window sticker its helps a lot with getting an exact valuation. My quickest sale with him only took 4 hours and my longest sale was a week as he drove out to Edmonton to look at the 8 work trucks that I was selling to him and then i had to drive them all down to Calgary before he gave me the cheque.

If you like his offer you drive down to the dealership, you give him your keys and he gives you a cheque. btw he also buys trucks that are non running as I sold him a 2017 F350 with a blown engine and he took care of towing it from Edmonton to Calgary.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2021, 01:56 PM
Sounds simple enough. Nice.

ragu
04-22-2021, 02:19 PM

How do you do this as a smaller outfit?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-22-2021, 02:33 PM
How do you do this as a smaller outfit?

Buy vehicles off Kijiji/word of mouth, pre sell them to US buyer contacts, do all the leg work such as repairs, recalls, making them look good short of final detail and windshield, ship them to Utah to sit for 30 days and then have them dropped off at the buyers lots and they send a cheque back to you. The process can take 60 days sometimes between buying and getting paid.

nissanK
10-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Well it looks like this came up today with my 2014 Sierra currently for sale. Requested the VIN to run a carfax so far.

I've requested he provide info on the exporter he represents before I go any further down the rabbit hole.

Any other tips of how to validate this is legit?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-12-2021, 01:45 PM
Your truck being a 3 vin is going to have a hefty tariff to export to the USA, not sure how they will make that work.

SKR
10-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Well it looks like this came up today with my 2014 Sierra currently for sale. Requested the VIN to run a carfax so far.

I've requested he provide info on the exporter he represents before I go any further down the rabbit hole.

Any other tips of how to validate this is legit?

As long as his money is real, everything else is his problem.

SkiBum5.0
10-12-2021, 06:34 PM
Yeah that 3 VIN will not be bought by an exporter - still a marketable truck to someone in Canada. I’m in the same boat.

nissanK
10-13-2021, 07:59 AM
Your truck being a 3 vin is going to have a hefty tariff to export to the USA, not sure how they will make that work.

Interesting. Good to know.

JfuckinC
10-13-2021, 08:08 AM
what's a three vin, and why are they no good for export?

ExtraSlow
10-13-2021, 08:10 AM
Local sales are also inflated prices, so shouldn't be too tough to make a deal somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

what's a three vin, and why are they no good for export?

Made in Mexico. Different tax / tariff situation

10-13-2021, 08:46 AM
My coworker ran into the same situation last month, lots of inquiries from exporters but when he gave them the vin they disappeared. Still sold it on kijiji but had tons of no shows, sales bros and low ballers before he found a decent person.

JfuckinC
10-13-2021, 09:20 AM
Local sales are also inflated prices, so shouldn't be too tough to make a deal somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Made in Mexico. Different tax / tariff situation

makes sense, thanks!