PDA

View Full Version : What are going rates for social media managers?

heavyfuel
02-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Specifically what should it cost to hire somebody to run an Instagram account? I'm going to need one for my new undertaking within a few months and I just can't stand it so I have to hire someone and I'm wondering what I should expect to pay. Thanks

cycosis
02-04-2019, 09:16 AM
All I can say in general is unless you are a major brand forget an agency. They want all the content from you and then just post it. You basically do all the work and pay them ridiculous sums of money for hardly anything.

sending PM

msommers
02-04-2019, 10:09 AM
How much are we talking about though?

So for someone to "manage" your Instagram, do they do more than just the post it up? Like interaction, researching key hashtags, auto-follow/drop similar genre of user etc? Lots have contacted me on Instagram promising more followers which yields higher engagement overall.

Social Media marketing gets pricey from what I've seen so I'm curious what 'the going rate' is for someone competent vs. a big marketing firm.

realazy
02-04-2019, 11:06 AM
I heard a quote from my friend who was looking for one and a company quoted them around $2000/month. They suggest content but you still need to provide it and post once a week I believe. I thought that was insane.

HiTempguy1
02-04-2019, 11:24 AM
You need an employee that is passionate about the job/product.

Best social media manager you can get.

ExtraSlow
02-04-2019, 11:37 AM
I heard a quote from my friend who was looking for one and a company quoted them around $2000/month. They suggest content but you still need to provide it and post once a week I believe. I thought that was insane.

I'll do it for $1000/mo. SAVE HALF!!! CONTACT ME TODAY!

P_D
02-04-2019, 12:05 PM
PM Sent

scboss
02-05-2019, 12:09 AM
I get spammed by these people all the time be very careful. Most of them will just get a bot and you will gain followers but they are just fake accounts. Id hire someone that can prove that 1# they have multiple business's under them 2# can prove the followers are legit and actually gonna help your business. In my industry tons of people with 40k plus followers and they are broke.

ercchry
02-05-2019, 01:14 AM
There are lots of different packages for this, gain followers, post content, create content, paid traffic, seo... most of their rates are very negotiable... seen local firms drop their prices by 1/3rd in the span of their phone pitch

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 09:04 AM
I get spammed by these people all the time be very careful. Most of them will just get a bot and you will gain followers but they are just fake accounts. Id hire someone that can prove that 1# they have multiple business's under them 2# can prove the followers are legit and actually gonna help your business. In my industry tons of people with 40k plus followers and they are broke.

That's exactly what I want to avoid. I'm about a week away from being certified as a personal trainer and I'd rather have 1000 followers following relevant content and gain 10 or so clients from that than have 40k irrelevant bought followers jerking off to steroid physiques posing in front of a rented C63 and all the fakeness usually found on most "fitness" pages haha

bjstare
02-05-2019, 09:16 AM
If you think you can start a fitness page without somehow engaging the latter crowd, I think you're about to be disappointed.

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 09:27 AM
If you think you can start a fitness page without somehow engaging the latter crowd, I think you're about to be disappointed.

Clearly you can't tell the difference between a fitness page and an "I'm here to project that my life is awesome when in reality it sucks" page

My target audience are people looking to lose weight, get fit and build a body they can keep, (like I did for myself) so I have absolutely no use for some jacked up steroid user and his douchey vacation/"my life is so awesome" pics a la Dan Bilzerian or Rich Piana, to me all of that is a fucking joke and I'll do plenty fine without any of it in my midst

But hey thanks for your input, tells me more than you know.

roopi
02-05-2019, 10:30 AM
You should hire someone to post on here for you as well.

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Heeeeeere we go! Classic.

How much do you charge? You seem so original and on point.

A790
02-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Hey Vince, in my experience, the best social media managers are hired internally. I have tried multiple outsourced agencies and never been anything other than underwhelmed.

max_boost
02-05-2019, 11:36 AM

That's the thing bro, you are gonna be dealing with remarks that are subtle and then in your face. You gotta take comments in stride.

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 12:15 PM
That's the thing bro, you are gonna be dealing with remarks that are subtle and then in your face. You gotta take comments in stride.

Lol that's exactly why I need to hire somebody! I can't deal with passive aggressive losers that hide behind screens!

JRSC00LUDE
02-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Lol that's exactly why I need to hire somebody! I can't deal with passive aggressive losers that hide behind screens!

Then how will you deal with them in person? Learning to take things at face value and not be affected by people who act/speak differently than you is going to be key to any kind of real success. You CAN deal with them if you decide to, you're the only one who can choose how to handle/respond to people or situations. You decide how you feel. It's all your choice.

Once you understand that and begin to learn how to practice it life will become exponentially easier by the day. Dealing with those people isn't the hard part, learning how to deal with yourself is where the difficulty lies.

scboss
02-05-2019, 12:27 PM
That's exactly what I want to avoid. I'm about a week away from being certified as a personal trainer and I'd rather have 1000 followers following relevant content and gain 10 or so clients from that than have 40k irrelevant bought followers jerking off to steroid physiques posing in front of a rented C63 and all the fakeness usually found on most "fitness" pages haha

I mean tbh you won't really sell in person training off social media to a random. What it's really good for is holding clients you already have accountable and having a real time business card. Most of your clients are gonna come from your natural market or from prospecting. My advice worry about getting as much experience as possible, educate yourself and the rest will take care of itself. I've been in the industry for 8 years and just started making bank the last 3.

800 followers but my business is easily over 100k

bjstare
02-05-2019, 12:27 PM
This is awesome.

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Then how will you deal with them in person? Learning to take things at face value and not be affected by people who act/speak differently than you is going to be key to any kind of real success. You CAN deal with them if you decide to, you're the only one who can choose how to handle/respond to people or situations. You decide how you feel. It's all your choice.

Once you understand that and begin to learn how to practice it life will become exponentially easier by the day. Dealing with those people isn't the hard part, learning how to deal with yourself is where the difficulty lies.

Dealing with people IRL is much easier than those behind a screen, I've been self employed for 15 years and I'm not homeless yet lol I get what you're saying tho

I mean tbh you won't really sell in person training off social media to a random. What it's really good for is holding clients you already have accountable and having a real time business card. Most of your clients are gonna come from your natural market or from prospecting. My advice worry about getting as much experience as possible, educate yourself and the rest will take care of itself. I've been in the industry for 8 years and just started making bank the last 3.

800 followers but my business is easily over 100k

See that's what I'm talking about right there! Quality vs quantity. If 800 is all it takes, I got that all day. I hit almost 600 in a week and a week later had to delete it lol so then it'll be a matter of building it up again and then passing it on to someone to manage.

I don't plan on relying 100% on IG for clientele, far from it. But to showcase results you get for people it's an amazing platform and that's what I want to use it for, when I go to Mexico I don't feel I need to share that, nor what I had for breakfast, or the car I drive (or rented in most cases haha)

This is awesome.

Yes it is awesome. I'm involved.

Wait a minute- how can it be awesome? I'm not posing in front of a rented Lambo with my shirt off. wtf???

Yeah, thought so. GTFO here

ercchry
02-05-2019, 12:49 PM
The issue with offering a service though is you do need to share who YOU are, especially in a crowded space. People have options for just receiving good service with good results. If you look at the people that are most successful at harnessing social media they not only post about what they do but also about themselves, how they spend their personal time, their values, etc

I’m not saying go and be fake, but just like networking in person, you need to show your potential clientele something they can relate to and build trust in you on top of your professional qualifications

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 01:10 PM
The issue with offering a service though is you do need to share who YOU are, especially in a crowded space. People have options for just receiving good service with good results. If you look at the people that are most successful at harnessing social media they not only post about what they do but also about themselves, how they spend their personal time, their values, etc

I’m not saying go and be fake, but just like networking in person, you need to show your potential clientele something they can relate to and build trust in you on top of your professional qualifications

Ya? Soon as clients know about my hobbies via casual chit chat often times they'd figure I was making too much money hauling garbage and I'd lose customers. When I had my modded STi I went to pick up a cheque in it, I got fired from a management company because they figured the only way I could afford that car was because I was ripping them off.

Plus, I genuinely don't feel a need to share the more fun things in my life, I really don't. I'm gonna do those things regardless of whether it's posted online. I prefer to keep my life to myself and stay on point and on topic when on an avenue that is, or is part of my meal ticket.

I get what you're saying and off the top of my head I can think of one person who operates exactly as you described and is very successful. I don't think that M.O. is for me tho.

I know it's a cheesy line from a cheesy (but good) movie but I think Mark Wahlberg said it best in Pain and Gain. The hardest part about changing yourself, is changing how other people see you. Now I don't know if that line was meant to drive home how stupid his character was in the movie or if it actually had a meaning but like it or not it resonates with me and I can relate to that statement very well.

JRSC00LUDE
02-05-2019, 01:17 PM
When I had my modded STi I went to pick up a cheque in it, I got fired from a management company because they figured the only way I could afford that car was because I was ripping them off.

Now I'd never say that all property managers are Jews but they're definitely all Jew"ish". :rofl:

Most universally cheap set of grinders in the world those guys!

max_boost
02-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Authenticity and direct engagement via social media is huge now. Good luck with your venture heavyfuel!

Mitsu3000gt
02-05-2019, 03:19 PM
In my experience it's very difficult to outsource someone that gives a single shit about your business, ESPECIALLY if they have multiple other clients to worry about. I see this all the time in all different kinds of work - I can only imagine how bad it would be with something as easy to half-ass like social media. Find someone with a vested interest in your business doing well, and it's a completely different outcome.

born2workoncars
02-05-2019, 03:29 PM

I died. :rofl:

Learn to laugh at yourself. You seem stressed out when you post on here. Remaining playfully amused will do wonders for your ability to deflect negativity and reduce stress.

killramos
02-05-2019, 03:51 PM
If I have learned anything from this thread, its that heavyfuel definitely should pay someone to interact with people over the internet for him rather than do it himself.

:rofl:

ExtraSlow
02-05-2019, 04:07 PM
If I have learned anything from this thread, its that heavyfuel definitely should pay someone to interact with people over the internet for him rather than do it himself.

And thankfully he knows that. That's the entire point of this thread.

JRSC00LUDE
02-05-2019, 04:18 PM
And thankfully he knows that. That's the entire point of this thread.

Exactly, I don't really get the hassling (and I love to fucking hassle) other than that's Beyond haha Knows his weaknesses, chooses which ones to work on and which ones aren't worth working on changing to him. The way I understand the read is he has no interest changing things that would, in his opinion, require him to change his core beliefs because it wouldn't be genuine. Nothing wrong with that. Straightforward,no bullshit, good guy. Glad he's back.

bjstare
02-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Yes it is awesome. I'm involved.

Wait a minute- how can it be awesome? I'm not posing in front of a rented Lambo with my shirt off. wtf???

Yeah, thought so. GTFO here

Haha you need to chill man. You posted a thread looking for someone to interact with people online your behalf because you don't have the patience for it... and in said thread you lost your patience while interacting with people on the internet. How can you not see the humor there? Tell me to GTFO again if it makes you feel better, this is highly entertaining. Don't take it so personally, it's the internet.

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Exactly, I don't really get the hassling (and I love to fucking hassle) other than that's Beyond haha Knows his weaknesses, chooses which ones to work on and which ones aren't worth working on changing to him. The way I understand the read is he has no interest changing things that would, in his opinion, require him to change his core beliefs because it wouldn't be genuine. Nothing wrong with that. Straightforward,no bullshit, good guy. Glad he's back.

There ya go! That's a clean 1000 yd kill shot to the head, some Chris Kyle shit right there. That's all it is! I am certainly a lot of things and genuine is one of them. Like it or not you need a certain level of fake to thrive on social media especially Instagram and I'm just not built that way and I don't see why I should try to change that. Humanity is in a crisis right now. There's less and less human interaction, the internet allows anybody to be whatever they want and we're all really losing touch and fast... throw in the rise of AI... hey I think I got a blessing in disguise here that I can't be on social media. I do tons of cool shit and eat tons of delicious meals and gawd, I can't for the life of me understand why I need to seek gratification from strangers for something I enjoy doing anyways! And what's in return? Selfie after selfie after selfie... like, Christ we know what we look like... the person posting 4, 5, 10 selfies/day and every meal they eat, you gonna tell me that's not pure insecurity right there? C'mon you guys are an intelligent bunch... happy Monday, happy Tuesday, happy hump day, what is this, Happy Days all over again? Do I got 800 Fonzies following me? Ugh. It's really sad to see humanity going to shit like this... Who's seem An American Meme on Netflix? Does that not just horrify you?

Haha you need to chill man. You posted a thread looking for someone to interact with people online your behalf because you don't have the patience for it... and in said thread you lost your patience while interacting with people on the internet. How can you not see the humor there? Tell me to GTFO again if it makes you feel better, this is highly entertaining. Don't take it so personally, it's the internet.

Oh so you can dish out a passive aggressive jab from behind your screen but can't take one in return hence I'm the one who needs to chill? Hmmmm...

I see tons of humor here, but most likely not what you're seeing.

max_boost
02-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Not disagreeing with you bro but perhaps perspective adjustment?

Treat it like a game? lol

Trust me I would love to be my authentic self all the time too but I got bills to pay and if it requires eating dirt (Gary V) lol it is what it is haha

90_Shelby
02-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Trust me I would love to be my authentic self all the time too but I got bills to pay

This.

mr2mike
02-05-2019, 09:34 PM
This you?

https://www.youtube.com/user/calgarybarbell

heavyfuel
02-05-2019, 09:49 PM
This you?

https://www.youtube.com/user/calgarybarbell

Over 42k followers, so thanks for the compliment but nope lol

heavyfuel
02-06-2019, 05:00 PM
I figured it out. And it's fucking genius!

Thanks for all the input!

ExtraSlow
02-06-2019, 06:15 PM
I figured it out. And it's fucking genius!

Thanks for all the input!

Glad to hear it buddy. Want to help the rest of us out and let us know what choice you made?

max_boost
02-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Put in the hard work and stick it to the haters.

Add oil heavy fuel!

scboss
02-07-2019, 12:34 AM
Ya? Soon as clients know about my hobbies via casual chit chat often times they'd figure I was making too much money hauling garbage and I'd lose customers. When I had my modded STi I went to pick up a cheque in it, I got fired from a management company because they figured the only way I could afford that car was because I was ripping them off.

Plus, I genuinely don't feel a need to share the more fun things in my life, I really don't. I'm gonna do those things regardless of whether it's posted online. I prefer to keep my life to myself and stay on point and on topic when on an avenue that is, or is part of my meal ticket.

The thing is though as a trainer you are basically selling a lifestyle.

You will lose way more customers if they think you are broke hahahah
The last person id ever buy training from is someone that has alot of availability or someone that is broke because that usually means he is no good.

You need to remember in the end people want to buy your lifestyle, what you can do for them and your community (aka your clients).

msommers
02-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Is that why 98% of realtors drive vehicles they can't afford?

JRSC00LUDE
02-07-2019, 09:05 AM

Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything msommers. Forty percent of all people know that.

However, I know a large number of commercial real estate brokers and one in particular used to drive a Hyundai/Toyota or something and his brokerage basically told him to go get himself a BMW or MB or the like if he's going to keep working there because no one doing high dollar deals is going to take you seriously in your pick them up in an Elantra. Can't say I disagree.

Residential Realtors, not so sure it matters?

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 09:12 AM
The thing is though as a trainer you are basically selling a lifestyle.

You will lose way more customers if they think you are broke hahahah
The last person id ever buy training from is someone that has alot of availability or someone that is broke because that usually means he is no good.

You need to remember in the end people want to buy your lifestyle, what you can do for them and your community (aka your clients).

I don't have it in me to be phony. Too bad. And really the last thing anybody wants is my lifestyle haha! 7% body fat and a six pack to make most people half my age jealous, that shit sells itself.

They are the absolute hands down worst people to deal with in my current industry. Always a small nickle and dime job, minimum charge is always too much, and they expect the Earth to stop spinning. Fuck that noise. Supercars and lifestyles don't impress me one bit and won't have me jump any faster, matter of fact I don't jump at all.

msommers
02-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything msommers. Forty percent of all people know that.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Well played.

scboss
02-07-2019, 12:19 PM
I don't have it in me to be phony. Too bad. And really the last thing anybody wants is my lifestyle haha! 7% body fat and a six pack to make most people half my age jealous, that shit sells itself.

Lol you don't need to be phony you need to be relatable. Being ripped will only sell training to idiots. People that know what they are doing know that's all nutrition lol

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2019, 12:26 PM

However, I know a large number of commercial real estate brokers and one in particular used to drive a Hyundai/Toyota or something and his brokerage basically told him to go get himself a BMW or MB or the like if he's going to keep working there because no one doing high dollar deals is going to take you seriously in your pick them up in an Elantra. Can't say I disagree.

Residential Realtors, not so sure it matters?

I find that is a double edged sword haha - same for lots of other businesses though (like Lawyer offices, contractor vehicles, etc.). If they have crap vehicle, I think to myself why they can't afford something better - maybe they aren't good at their job. If they have an amazing vehicle or over the top offices, I am thinking to myself, how much profit is he making off people that he can afford all this - is it overpriced? Could I get the same for cheaper? :rofl: I don't know if there is a middle ground.

Anything purely commission based though, especially when their sales ability can benefit you directly (realtor, lawyer), I think I would like to see that they are rich haha.

ercchry
02-07-2019, 12:31 PM
I find that is a double edged sword haha - same for lots of other businesses though (like Lawyer offices, contractor vehicles, etc.). If they have crap vehicle, I think to myself why they can't afford something better - maybe they aren't good at their job. If they have an amazing vehicle or over the top offices, I am thinking to myself, how much profit is he making off people that he can afford all this - is it overpriced? Could I get the same for cheaper? :rofl: I don't know if there is a middle ground.

Anything purely commission based though, especially when their sales ability can benefit you directly (realtor, lawyer), I think I would like to see that they are rich haha.

I deal with a lot of realtors and if they truly are successful, having that persona seems to help weed out the shitty clients for them. “Birds of a feather” “real recognize real” whatever you wish to call it, you attracted what you put out there. But the * being that people can smell a fake from a mile away. I don’t think there is a middle as it’s impossible to please everyone

max_boost
02-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Make adjustments as you go along. That's the beauty of doing, you will figure out what works and doesn't. Everyone is an expert in business but most don't have much to show for it lol

JRSC00LUDE
02-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Being that we are a General Contractor you're COMPLETELY right. Drive a 70K truck, or a SRT Cherokee even and no one bats an eye. Pull up in a X5 or the like and you're going to rip them off. People's perceptions are so crazy but, it's a real thing - we're a judgy society.

killramos
02-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Being that we are a General Contractor you're COMPLETELY right. Drive a 70K truck, or a SRT Cherokee even and no one bats an eye. Pull up in a X5 or the like and you're going to rip them off. People's perceptions are so crazy but, it's a real thing - we're a judgy society.

The loaded truck vs driving an equivalent sports car/sedan discrepancy is always comical.

And in no way limited to contractors.

In the thread topic, people follow dudes on Instagram? Female trainers I get. But dudes following dudes?

Disoblige
02-07-2019, 01:29 PM
It is so weird for sure. In our office, everyone comments about this guy driving an Audi A3 being a baller. When everyone else is driving trucks and SUVs worth 50-80k.

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 01:44 PM
Lol you don't need to be phony you need to be relatable. Being ripped will only sell training to idiots. People that know what they are doing know that's all nutrition lol

Duhhh lol how do you think I accomplished this at 43? 80% kitchen 20% gym. Thanks for the update. And no, being ripped will sell to people that will appreciate that I didn't dream and post my way into a facade to take their money, my results are with me at all times and are undeniable. I think it's a huge selling point and motivational factor when people see that I do this for, me, for me only and only for me, with zero desire to post, look for IG fame, build a phony life, compete in whatever discipline, wipe all that out of the equation and what's left is 100% real. That's what I am and that's what I will sell. And I will succeed.

I want to be relateable to down to Earth people who want to build a body they can keep and eat pretty much however they want after a couple years or however long, of a strict regimen (as I do now) and above all I want to relate to people that the fitness scene doesn't have to be the douchebaggery that often times keeps them away in the first place. Why do you think I chose Repsol over Gold's when I was out of shape an not as secure as I am now? And I still have no use for a Gold's-like scene and likely never will. That's not what it's about for me. Please point out how that is wrong.

If people wanna get jacked and swole and pose on houseboats and in front of rented Ferraris in Vegas, that's cool I'll send em your way

scboss
02-07-2019, 02:28 PM
I think it's a huge selling point and motivational factor when people see that I do this for, me, for me only and only for me, with zero desire to post, look for IG fame, build a phony life, compete in whatever discipline, wipe all that out of the equation and what's left is 100% real.

I think you just answered your own question lol

max_boost
02-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Duhhh lol how do you think I accomplished this at 43? 80% kitchen 20% gym. Thanks for the update. And no, being ripped will sell to people that will appreciate that I didn't dream and post my way into a facade to take their money, my results are with me at all times and are undeniable. I think it's a huge selling point and motivational factor when people see that I do this for, me, for me only and only for me, with zero desire to post, look for IG fame, build a phony life, compete in whatever discipline, wipe all that out of the equation and what's left is 100% real. That's what I am and that's what I will sell. And I will succeed.

I want to be relateable to down to Earth people who want to build a body they can keep and eat pretty much however they want after a couple years or however long, of a strict regimen (as I do now) and above all I want to relate to people that the fitness scene doesn't have to be the douchebaggery that often times keeps them away in the first place. Why do you think I chose Repsol over Gold's when I was out of shape an not as secure as I am now? And I still have no use for a Gold's-like scene and likely never will. That's not what it's about for me. Please point out how that is wrong.

If people wanna get jacked and swole and pose on houseboats and in front of rented Ferraris in Vegas, that's cool I'll send em your way

Pics? :D

Level 43 > Age 43 lol :bigpimp:

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2019, 02:40 PM

I'm definitely guilty of those perceptions at times haha, it's a struggle.

It's amazing though how people's perceptions work. Tell someone you drive a BMW and they think your rich even if it's a $20K car and 6 years old - and the person who is impressed is probably driving $50K minivan themselves. I can definitely see people in the construction industry turning their nose up to a BMW but not an even more expensive truck.

I remember in high school everyone thought this one girl was loaded because she drove a Mercedes - I went and looked at it one day, it was a rough, second-hand C230 Kompressor hatchback that probably cost less than a brand new Civic haha.

max_boost
02-07-2019, 03:57 PM
It’s funny when you don’t have it, you make it look like you have it. When you have it, you don’t care to show. And then you have the actual Beyond ballers :bigpimp:

With enough experience, Real recognize real. :thumbsup:

colinxx235
02-07-2019, 04:25 PM
It was definitely funny in the home building sector how you viewed guys. Dude shows up in a rough beat up truck, you assumed he was a hard worker and stowed away his money. Guy shows up in a Lariat/Harley Edition/Hummer/King ranch etc etc, you figured he was clearly pulling in too much/major debt and was an idiot who would cut corners to screw you. And oddly enough those ones didn't last very long...

Type_S1
02-07-2019, 06:54 PM
from based on what you’ve said I don’t think Instagram is going to really help you. Have you actually done your research to see what local/Canadian trainers have a large following and what they post? I would say building a client base through Instagram is unlikely for you especially since 1) you have 0 actual training experience currently (other then lifting weights yourself) and 2) it doesn’t sound like you are committed to marketing this way. If you think that a ton of random people are going to start messaging you on Instagram asking to pay you to go to the gym because you have 7% body fat you are highly mistaken as having a low body fat % doesn’t make you special. You need to sell yourself to people, be interesting, be relevant, and be personable. No offence, but your general attitude from posting doesn’t make you seem like a very personable person who is easy to have a conversation with, however, I could be mistaken. You are about to enter into a customer facing sales/customer service gig and you need to be willing to sacrifice some of your hard-nosed views to gain traction. Best of luck!

heavyfuel
02-07-2019, 07:25 PM
from based on what you’ve said I don’t think Instagram is going to really help you. Have you actually done your research to see what local/Canadian trainers have a large following and what they post? I would say building a client base through Instagram is unlikely for you especially since 1) you have 0 actual training experience currently (other then lifting weights yourself) and 2) it doesn’t sound like you are committed to marketing this way. If you think that a ton of random people are going to start messaging you on Instagram asking to pay you to go to the gym because you have 7% body fat you are highly mistaken as having a low body fat % doesn’t make you special. You need to sell yourself to people, be interesting, be relevant, and be personable. No offence, but your general attitude from posting doesn’t make you seem like a very personable person who is easy to have a conversation with, however, I could be mistaken. You are about to enter into a customer facing sales/customer service gig and you need to be willing to sacrifice some of your hard-nosed views to gain traction. Best of luck!

While you are not entirely wrong, as I said before I don't have it in me to be a phony at anything I do. The people that expect that will auto-weedout and they can go where they think they will get results. And as mentioned in other posts at the end of the day real attracts real. I'm not jacked or swole, I can't even bench 3 plates yet nor am I model material hell I don't even shave my chest lol but I can say and I can back it up that looking the way I do at 43 is one foot in the door already. It's all about getting that other foot through the door now, that's where your above statement comes into play and is going to be possibly even a bigger challenge than social media since I can't pay anyone to fix that.

Type_S1
02-07-2019, 09:52 PM
While you are not entirely wrong, as I said before I don't have it in me to be a phony at anything I do. The people that expect that will auto-weedout and they can go where they think they will get results. And as mentioned in other posts at the end of the day real attracts real. I'm not jacked or swole, I can't even bench 3 plates yet nor am I model material hell I don't even shave my chest lol but I can say and I can back it up that looking the way I do at 43 is one foot in the door already. It's all about getting that other foot through the door now, that's where your above statement comes into play and is going to be possibly even a bigger challenge than social media since I can't pay anyone to fix that.

This is going to sound very cheesy, but a few professionals that I’ve worked with in the past who were super awkward/hard to speak to outside of work took “toastmasters” courses/classes and it worked wonders on them being able to speak in small groups or just one-on-one. I’ve never taken anything like this but I’m assuming there are various groups/classes and if you feel you could work on relating to people or being able to make conversation/bear to listen to boring people.

This new adventure you are taking on takes strong personal skills, the ability to make people like you, and a lot of patience. Despite what some may think, these are skills you can work on similar to increasing the weights you lift...it just takes commitment and practice.

heavyfuel
02-08-2019, 09:38 AM
these are skills you can work on similar to increasing the weights you lift...it just takes commitment and practice.

That's 100% truth right there and 10000000x more difficult than making any physical changes. I don't even know how or where to start with that end of it.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2019, 09:44 AM
That's 100% truth right there and 10000000x more difficult than making any physical changes. I don't even know how or where to start with that end of it.
Honestly, toastmasters isn't a bad idea. It's probably really uncomfortable, and frankly scary, but learning to speak to a room of people is a great skill, and learning to take helpful criticism is even more valuable.

heavyfuel
02-08-2019, 10:02 AM
Honestly, toastmasters isn't a bad idea. It's probably really uncomfortable, and frankly scary, but learning to speak to a room of people is a great skill, and learning to take helpful criticism is even more valuable.

I don't have a hard time communicating with people. It's the perception thing. I'm so God damned judgmental that it fuels the belief that everyone is judging me negatively. I do it to myself. I think I also do it to protect myself. One day when I was 6 I was just left there abandoned by other kids who I saw as friends. To this day I don't know what I did that day but whatever it is I'm still doing it and I've been doing it all my life and no closer to figuring it out.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2019, 10:12 AM
How others perceive you IS communicating. I'd say you have an easy time saying the words you think will get your message across. But you do seem to have difficulty communicating.

Seriously, toastmasters.

mr2mike
02-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Seriously, toastmasters.

Is there a low carb option considering this is for personal training??

ExtraSlow
02-08-2019, 10:54 AM
Is there a low carb option considering this is for personal training??

Avocadomasters?

heavyfuel
02-08-2019, 11:08 AM
avocadotoastmasters, for entitled millennials lol

tirebob
02-08-2019, 11:44 AM
I don't have a hard time communicating with people. It's the perception thing. I'm so God damned judgmental that it fuels the belief that everyone is judging me negatively. I do it to myself. I think I also do it to protect myself. One day when I was 6 I was just left there abandoned by other kids who I saw as friends. To this day I don't know what I did that day but whatever it is I'm still doing it and I've been doing it all my life and no closer to figuring it out.

Dude, I know how tough it is to try and keep from calling out stupid people... I will say it is probably the very best thing you could do for yourself. I think it is probably the greatest skill I have developed over the years. Being able to keep private thoughts in my head rather than barfed out all over whoever is in front of me has saved me so much stress and headaches over the years, and has most definitely increased the bottom line. Just the fact you know this is an issue for you shows it is probably something very important to work through. Just like anything, it is self discipline and training. It isn't something that needs to negatively impact you life and business if you don't want it to.

As for everyone mentioning Toastmasters, I have been seriously contemplating attending myself. I am confident and have no problem talking with anybody one on one or in small groups, but put me in front of an entire room where all eyes are on me and I need to make a speech or something, my stomach pushes up into my throat and I start to have an anxiety attack and I can't breathe. This is the next thing I really need to work on for my own growth.

max_boost
02-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Everything is practice. Commitment, intentional practice. The brain is powerful.

They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit but who knows it could be 60-90 days or even longer.

Most gym books focus on the 90 day number so perhaps you can start today. Watch where your mind wanders and put it back into place if anything unhelpful creeps in.

My 2019 thing is all about keeping calm. It has worked wonders so far. All this will lead to a better you.

JRSC00LUDE
02-08-2019, 02:36 PM
As for everyone mentioning Toastmasters, I have been seriously contemplating attending myself. I am confident and have no problem talking with anybody one on one or in small groups, but put me in front of an entire room where all eyes are on me and I need to make a speech or something, my stomach pushes up into my throat and I start to have an anxiety attack and I can't breathe. This is the next thing I really need to work on for my own growth.

Sounds like a budding system in the making.

kertejud2
02-10-2019, 01:24 PM
My 2019 thing is all about keeping calm.

Time for a stress test:

https://i.redd.it/jwwrzrr1uta21.gif

speedog
02-10-2019, 02:44 PM
It was definitely funny in the home building sector how you viewed guys. Dude shows up in a rough beat up truck, you assumed he was a hard worker and stowed away his money. Guy shows up in a Lariat/Harley Edition/Hummer/King ranch etc etc, you figured he was clearly pulling in too much/major debt and was an idiot who would cut corners to screw you. And oddly enough those ones didn't last very long...

What I've seen in the construction industry is the fancier vehicle you have, the less of the real work you do. Grunts/trades often do not bring their nicer vehicles to the job site because carrying tools/equipment/materials is just going to beat a vehicle up. The actual business owners who have others under hire or property/development owners usually have the nicer vehicles - to me it just makes no financial sense whatsoever to buy a 60-90,000 vehicle just to start hauling table/miter saws and all the other stuff I carry around with me. Hell, I haven't even had carpets in my last two work vehicles, rubber floor matting because mud happens.

heavyfuel
02-10-2019, 05:13 PM
What I've seen in the construction industry is the fancier vehicle you have, the less of the real work you do. Grunts/trades often do not bring their nicer vehicles to the job site because carrying tools/equipment/materials is just going to beat a vehicle up. The actual business owners who have others under hire or property/development owners usually have the nicer vehicles - to me it just makes no financial sense whatsoever to buy a 60-90,000 vehicle just to start hauling table/miter saws and all the other stuff I carry around with me. Hell, I haven't even had carpets in my last two work vehicles, rubber floor matting because mud happens.

Got that right! I see 100k Denalis at the dump pulling trailers, it just blows my mind why someone would take a Denali to the dump. Furthermore it seems to me that if I could afford a 6 digit ride the last thing I'd buy is a truck.

syscal
02-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Time for a stress test:

omfg

brucebanner
02-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Time for a stress test:

Mannnnnnnnnn :rofl::rofl:

heavyfuel
02-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Time for a stress test:

I'm guessing by some replies to this post this is supposed to be stressful?

you&me
02-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Not for a zen master, like yourself... :rofl:

killramos
02-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Not for a zen master, like yourself... :rofl:

Nothing phases him :rofl:

Zen Master. Great user title.

kertejud2
02-11-2019, 11:19 AM

It's not the stress one might get if they're unfollowed on Instagram but as for myself, I wouldn't want to be holding an egg while watching it.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Hey, I'm no therapist, but thought this might help some people.

HiTempguy1
02-11-2019, 02:54 PM

I've seen that quote attributed to about 10 different people in the past 30 days alone. You know what gets my blood pressure up? Incorrectly cited quotes. :p

kertejud2
02-11-2019, 03:24 PM
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-qF6CbJo2vY/TQlmBXyC8JI/AAAAAAAAK4U/srrQ0kmkZlQ/s1600/how%2Bto%2Bpiss%2Boff%2Bnerds.jpg

ExtraSlow
02-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Well, whoever the fuck said it, it's pretty true. If other peoples words control your actions, then you are in big trouble.

max_boost
02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Your brain is wired for negative shit. You literally have to read and rewire it for positivity. Perhaps follow more stuff like the good quote on insta etc. (serious post here)

heavyfuel
02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
I just don't see how that vid was stressful lol it's just life- shit doesn't always go right or as planned or the way we want it to.

max_boost
02-11-2019, 06:34 PM
When you get to the point of unfuckwithable lol you don't care. You soldier on and do your thing.

kertejud2
02-11-2019, 09:25 PM
I just don't see how that vid was stressful lol it's just life- shit doesn't always go right or as planned or the way we want it to.

Nobody is questioning how centered you are. No need to get so defensive about it.

rx7boi
02-12-2019, 09:32 AM

As told by Gandalf to Harry in Star Wars EP. 7.

msommers
02-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Nobody is questioning how centered you are. No need to get so defensive about it.

you&me
02-25-2019, 09:27 PM
Seeing as how this seems to have run its course, I thought I'd piggy-back off this thread instead of start a new one - mods, feel free to change.

It was brought up today during a call that some of our reps are having trouble managing their existing accounts while lead prospecting, etc, which I totally understand.

Does anyone have any experience with a managed LinkedIn account? Something where there's a fairly defined template for new connections being found and made and initial dialogue starting and when it's time for a human to step in (phone call or in person meeting), the rep has a reasonably warm lead. Is this common? Frowned upon? Transparent (and not in a good way)? Any ideas on costs?

Edit - reading this again after I posted, this sounds pretty "Boiler Room" hahaha