PDA

View Full Version : Stuttgart diesel ban.

ZenOps
02-05-2019, 10:00 AM
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-german-yellow-vests-protest-diesel-ban-stuttgart-105834830.html

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Being told years ago that diesel was a superior fuel, only to be required by law to not use it anymore.

To me, this is the only legitimate reason for yellowvest protest.

blownz
02-05-2019, 12:33 PM
This only bans cars over 10 years old from the city center. Hardly a big deal imo.

I see no issue in this as long as governments give people a fair warning of when it will happen so they have time to prepare for it. Not sure in this case how long they knew, but I don't think this is that bad and better than a flat out diesel ban.

Xtrema
02-05-2019, 12:42 PM
This only bans cars over 10 years old from the city center. Hardly a big deal imo.

I see no issue in this as long as governments give people a fair warning of when it will happen so they have time to prepare for it. Not sure in this case how long they knew, but I don't think this is that bad and better than a flat out diesel ban.

2 years. Final court order handed down decision last Feb.

For Stuttgart
Euro 4 now
Euro 5 Sep
Euro 6 TBD

For Hamburg
Euro 4 and 5 now

The problem is enforcement and the fact that it's too complicated and arbitrary city by city.

But I guess a national ban will probably require to do some compensation. So allowing cities to decide on bans will have a more gradual effect.

ZenOps
02-05-2019, 09:22 PM
https://www.thelocal.de/20180711/stuttgart-to-bring-in-city-wide-diesel-ban-at-start-of-next-year

If no one is lying, there should be 188,163 less diesel vehicles on the road in that area.

Xtrema
02-05-2019, 09:53 PM
All this means is Africa/Eastern Europe is going to get some newer/cheaper diesel cars sooner.

ExtraSlow
02-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Emissions will be moved and not reduced. Just like being anti-pipeline.

04Terminator
02-12-2019, 03:36 PM
The particulate emissions from diesel are costing millions to healthcare, and billions worldwide, and to decreased life expectancy. That and enviro groups are coflating it with gasoline. I'm surprised its taken this long.

blownz
02-13-2019, 01:53 PM
2 years. Final court order handed down decision last Feb.

For Stuttgart
Euro 4 now
Euro 5 Sep
Euro 6 TBD

For Hamburg
Euro 4 and 5 now

Too soon for Euro 5 IMO although they will all be at least 5 years old by Sep. You need to give time for people to get on board with these kind of things. For most people cars are their second biggest expense/"investment" and to prevent them from driving it only 5 years after buying it (assuming new) that is a bit much imo and I don't blame people for protesting.

That said, banning all diesels from city centers I would probably be on board with only because so many of them stink so bad when they idle next to you as they often do on downtown streets. Could you imagine the diesel truck guys though if that happened? Would they all hang yellow nuts from their trucks? :)