PDA

View Full Version : Calgary International Auto Car and Truck Show 2019

jdmXSI
02-06-2019, 05:10 PM
From someone who has been in the Auto industry for quite some time, looks like they changed things up a bit this year.

Instead of being 1st-2nd week of March, it is April 17th-21st and according to their map, there is no Mercedes, BMW or MINI. Not that its a big deal but its surprising that 2 of the 4 Germans pulled out when there is quite a bit of exposure from this event for the dealerships.

http://www.autoshowcalgary.com/

msommers
02-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Why market when they're already hooked on the product :rofl:

Tik-Tok
02-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Not that surprising. The Calgary show is nothing but a cross shopping and window shopping experience. Who is going to be down there and seriously looking at a Mercedes, or BMW that hasn't already been to the dealerships?

It's a good place for Japanese brands to try woo wives, while the husbands get boners over newest domestic trucks.

Xtrema
02-06-2019, 05:32 PM
https://canada.autonews.com/retail/key-brands-back-out-some-canadian-auto-shows

This is the last year for Porsche as well.

If it cost $200K for a show per brand, without corporate support, I don't see how local dealers can continue. And if you don't like it, just make sure you persuade everyone to avoid MB and BMW and sent them to Audi. Until they see the sales trend, they won't know they made a mistake.

killramos
02-06-2019, 05:34 PM
So are the exotic guys still coming?

Personally I don’t walk into a dealership unless I have already decided to buy. So I find the low pressure of the car show a great time to look at BMW’s and Mercedes.

It was the 2014 show that made me walk into bmw 2 days later to buy my 2 series. Their loss I guess.

Xtrema
02-06-2019, 05:39 PM

Floor plan show as many brands as last year. Just BMW/MB space is now dedicated to "Electric Hybrid Display"

And given how Calgary isn't generating 1%ers like before, not sure if the supercar group like Pfaff will keep coming to Calgary.

Yeah I liked the no pressure shopping too. But if price keep going up and brands keeps leaving, auto show could be a thing of the past.

Sugarphreak
02-06-2019, 05:46 PM

killramos
02-06-2019, 05:47 PM
I also usually go with friends which is always a good time. But you take my 2 favorite brands out and I certainly won’t be lining up for tickets.

BavarianBeast
02-06-2019, 06:00 PM
I went last year for McLaren because I hadn't spent much time with them outside of 6 laps around the track but they just borrowed 2 cars from locals in Calgary and displayed them, didn't have much of a selection to look at.

Maxx Mazda
02-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Aren’t 95% of car show attendees people who can’t even afford anything newer than a ‘97 Accord 6-6 who just bring their shitty kids to clamber all around and leave handprints on all the nice cars?

As a guy who’s actually attended the auto show in order to make a decision on a purchase, it’s infuriating having to wait to sit in a vehicle or text out rear seat legroom etc because someone’s shitty kids are all over the place

shakalaka
02-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Might be in Calgary for that weekend for a wedding before heading to Europe, so just for fun will likely check it out. Too bad though about Merc and BMW.

16hypen3sp
02-06-2019, 06:19 PM
I wonder if Genesis is going to show their 2020 G90 there.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-06-2019, 07:27 PM
The auto show has been a highlight of my year every year since I was 2-3 years old. I go at least twice every year and try to sit in and look at almost everything. I’ll be sad to see it fall apart.

rx7boi
02-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Aren’t 95% of car show attendees people who can’t even afford anything newer than a ‘97 Accord 6-6 who just bring their shitty kids to clamber all around and leave handprints on all the nice cars?

As a guy who’s actually attended the auto show in order to make a decision on a purchase, it’s infuriating having to wait to sit in a vehicle or text out rear seat legroom etc because someone’s shitty kids are all over the place

+1 haha. It was annoying when I was waiting to look at a 2018 GTR and these kids were in the front seat with parents nowhere to be found.

That, and all the handprints drove me crazy as well.

ThePenIsMightier
02-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Car shows are paying to shop in a crowd with a thousand other people when you can shop for free the other 51 weeks.
They're not for me

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-06-2019, 09:36 PM
I was going to see if Genesis was going to offer another % off lease rates during the auto show.

schocker
02-06-2019, 09:44 PM
Well that sucks. I always like to go and didn't realize it had changed. Always spent most of my time at the german brands as well. I didn't realize how expensive the displays were but you would figure they would see returns from the show in larger cities.

16hypen3sp
02-07-2019, 07:55 AM
The Edmonton Motor Show has a 'Featured Vehicles' page and the 2020 G90 is in there!!! I'm betting that the same car will be in Calgary.

D'z Nutz
02-07-2019, 08:24 AM
Might be in Calgary for that weekend for a wedding before heading to Europe, so just for fun will likely check it out. Too bad though about Merc and BMW.

Looking forward to your next "what should I buy" thread that weekend :rofl:

Neil4Speed
02-07-2019, 08:40 AM

Personally I don’t walk into a dealership unless I have already decided to buy. So I find the low pressure of the car show a great time to look at BMW’s and Mercedes.

It was the 2014 show that made me walk into bmw 2 days later to buy my 2 series. Their loss I guess.

I'm also pretty surprised by this move, especially since the German's are going progressively downmarket. There are so many people who still think that a BMW/Benz is far far above them, without knowing that their lower models are almost Civic priced. What great exposure, and for $200k, that's pretty modest.

Tik-Tok
02-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Maybe Merc. and BMW will make their own autoshow. With blackjack, and hookers.

dj_rice
02-07-2019, 09:02 AM
I always attend these shows every 2nd year or so to pick up those free re-usable shopping bags....#asian

austic
02-07-2019, 09:47 AM
I normally go to cross-shop before I go to the dealers. Benz, BMW or Audi are all that I normally look at so will not make sense to attend anymore for sure.

tonytiger55
02-07-2019, 10:33 AM
It would be interesting to see the Rav4, Forester and Audi Q3. They are both sitting on different platforms this year. Same with the GTI and Jetta and I think.
The Cross Trek has a redesigned rear hatch for more space. Honda has brought back the sound knob to its touch screen.

shakalaka
02-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Looking forward to your next "what should I buy" thread that weekend :rofl:

Haha. I already know what I want to buy next, but I am just trying really hard to do the smart thing right now and stick with what I've got for a while.

dirtsniffer
02-07-2019, 10:44 AM
What are we at? Week 6 of 13? You can do it!

shakalaka
02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
What are we at? Week 6 of 13? You can do it!

lol. I know. Waiting for summer.

blownz
02-07-2019, 11:34 AM
I agree that this is disappointing as I always like to compare many different cars on the same day. And rather than irritating pushy/greasy sales guys, they just have some dumb (mostly cute) girls walking around asking for your email for contests. Much better atmosphere. lol

Oddly enough aside from obviously looking at higher end vehicles and the things that I may buy, I also really enjoy sitting in the cheapest vehicles there. I like it because later when I hear someone brag about their totally awesome new Mitsubishi Lancer, I will know how low their standards are. :angel:

Tik-Tok
02-07-2019, 11:39 AM
I agree that this is disappointing as I always like to compare many different cars on the same day. And rather than irritating pushy/greasy sales guys, they just have some dumb (mostly cute) girls walking around asking for your email for contests. Much better atmosphere. lol

ganesh
02-07-2019, 11:41 AM

Oddly enough aside from obviously looking at higher end vehicles and the things that I may buy, I also really enjoy sitting in the cheapest vehicles there. I like it because later when I hear someone brag about their totally awesome new Mitsubishi Lancer, I will know how low their standards are. :angel:

Have you ever thought that the low end Lancer is all what they could afford????
It is not their low standards but that is what they could afford. Not every one has means to buy the High Standard vehicles.

Shlade
02-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Haha. I already know what I want to buy next, but I am just trying really hard to do the smart thing right now and stick with what I've got for a while.

If there’s another what vehicle to buy thread from you I petition for the Ban hammer lol

A790
02-07-2019, 12:13 PM
If there’s another what vehicle to buy thread from you I petition for the Ban hammer lol

Noted. ;)

msommers
02-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Call it....motivation for Shaka.

shakalaka
02-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Haha.

Wow..those kinds of threads are pretty much the only semblance to a 'car forum' Beyond has left now. Those should be welcomed with open arms and not shown such a lackadaisical attitude towards.

Xtrema
02-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Pro tip: Go weekdays when show opens or around lunch times.

Rocket1k78
02-07-2019, 01:49 PM
It is not their low standards but that is what they could afford. Not every one has means to buy the High Standard vehicles.

:werd: Pretty pathetic if you ask me

bjstare
02-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Haha he meant it as a joke.

Dude drives a Hyundai for christ sake :rofl::devil:

lilmira
02-07-2019, 02:26 PM

That escalated quickly

dirtsniffer
02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Haha.

Wow..those kinds of threads are pretty much the only semblance to a 'car forum' Beyond has left now. Those should be welcomed with open arms and not shown such a lackadaisical attitude towards.

I may give you a hard time but i actually like the threads and all the change. keeps things interesting!

A790
02-07-2019, 02:40 PM
That escalated quickly

You missed a prime opportunity to drop a pun.

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Surprising MB is missing the auto show in the Canadian launch year of their new A-class / volume seller.

Misterman
02-07-2019, 03:12 PM

I've had times in my life that all I could afford was a nice Civic SI. But I didn't go around telling everyone how awesome my big bad ass Civic was. I think that's more what he was getting at.

Xtrema
02-07-2019, 03:23 PM
Surprising MB is missing the auto show in the Canadian launch year of their new A-class / volume seller.

They were at Toronto and Montreal. It's just the rest of the country doesn't matter.

I've had times in my life that all I could afford was a nice Civic SI. But I didn't go around telling everyone how awesome my big bad ass Civic was. I think that's more what he was getting at.

1992 Civic Si was bad ass beat my buddy's 1991 Sundance Turbo by a whole second to 100.

ganesh
02-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Whats wrong with that? For them that is the best.

Aleks
02-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Didn't bunch of them miss Detroit auto show?

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2019, 04:40 PM
They were at Toronto and Montreal. It's just the rest of the country doesn't matter.

I dunno, they pulled out of other really important shows too (presumably way more important than Calgary anyway). Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi and Mini all skipped the Detroit Auto Show which is one of the bigger ones. I read they were trending to their own private events.

Also with all the people who like to lease brand new German cars way out of their price range in Calgary, you'd think it would be a priority for them.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Also with all the people who like to lease brand new German cars way out of their price range in Calgary, you'd think it would be a priority for them. I'm sure they've done their market research and will be putting marketing dollars on projects locally that have a higher rate of return. Doubt anyone on beyond will be avoiding these brands because of this decision.

dirtsniffer
02-07-2019, 04:50 PM
speaking as someone who works for a company who has as a significant role in large O&G 'shows' I can confirm they are a waste of money. As a division inside a large corp we are forced to participate (and pay), maybe the local dealers like CBMW are forced into from the manufacturer. Most people who stop by are already existing customers or are just looking for swag. There are way better ways to target new customers.

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm sure they've done their market research and will be putting marketing dollars on projects locally that have a higher rate of return. Doubt anyone on beyond will be avoiding these brands because of this decision.

Makes you wonder what all of a sudden changed for 2019 though - if that is true, their research would have concluded that it was worth it every previous year.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2019, 05:03 PM
speaking as someone who works for a company who has as a significant role in large O&G 'shows' I can confirm they are a waste of money. As a division inside a large corp we are forced to participate (and pay), maybe the local dealers like CBMW are forced into from the manufacturer. Most people who stop by are already existing customers or are just looking for swag. There are way better ways to target new customers.

And you look at companies like Weatherford who does a big parking lot show beside Local 522 with more space, more equipment, and at apparently a lower cost. I can't understand these shows from an economics perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Makes you wonder what all of a sudden changed for 2019 though - if that is true, their research would have concluded that it was worth it every previous year.

It's possible they only started collecting data somewhat recently. Auto sales is a very traditional business.

Rocket1k78
02-07-2019, 05:47 PM

Fuck me, had i seen he drove a hyundai i totally wouldve caught the joke but i always assumed he had higher standards:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Being for real here, are they still called hyundais or genesis now? Not gonna lie the g70's look pretty good imo

killramos
02-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Oh they are still hyundais

ShermanEF9
02-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Car shows are paying to shop in a crowd with a thousand other people when you can shop for free the other 51 weeks.
They're not for me

Fair, but how often do you get all of the manufacturers together in one room?

ThePenIsMightier
02-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Fair, but how often do you get all of the manufacturers together in one room?

Yeah but dealers are crammed together nowadays too. You can walk from Weissach Lambo to Ferrari and probably to Porsche from there. Edmonton's are all moving/moved to the south by IKEA.

you&me
02-07-2019, 09:22 PM

It's possible they only started collecting data somewhat recently. Auto sales is a very traditional business.

Auto sales itself is a very traditional business, but the auto industry as a whole is one of the most data intensive businesses out there.

That said, the CMDA is a bunch of geriatric cowboys that quite possibly just weren't paying attention. On the other hand, a lot of the expense of the shows is covered by the manufacturers... My guess would be that level of support has recently changed from the German manufacturers and the local guys said "it really costs what?!?"...

Masked Bandit
02-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Skipping the show seems to be a tactical error but I won't miss the 497 18-24 year old fanboys standing around filming everything out of Germany when they have no intent to buy anything for another 5-10 years. As we're actually shopping for a new family car this year perhaps the absence of BMW / MB will save me some money!

msommers
02-08-2019, 10:45 AM
Being for real here, are they still called hyundais or genesis now?

Depends if the person drives a German vehicle or not.

C4S
02-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Depends if the person drives a German vehicle or not.

Good point!! LoL Japanese vehicles owners too! :angel:

Xtrema
02-08-2019, 11:54 AM
I dunno, they pulled out of other really important shows too (presumably way more important than Calgary anyway). Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi and Mini all skipped the Detroit Auto Show which is one of the bigger ones. I read they were trending to their own private events.

Also with all the people who like to lease brand new German cars way out of their price range in Calgary, you'd think it would be a priority for them.

Consider how many youtubers auto journalists the manufacturers now sponsors, may they have figure out that's better bang for the $.

Basically we now all know what the cars are about going in. It's just to make sure seating adjustment and make sure it looks as good IRL vs videos.

Like the BMW X2, sounds good on paper, looks cool in videos, disappointing in person. So you can say the show actually have opposite effect, especially you have inferior products. :D

blownz
02-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Wow, that blew up and wasn't taken at all how I meant it. lol

What I meant was within its class. I personally think the Lancer is one of the worst vehicles in its class. So I am just saying if someone has ~$20K to spend and they went with the Lancer over a Civic or Mazda 3 (or many other better choices) and then brags about it then I think they have low standards. I used the Lancer as an example because I worked with someone that had just bought one and talked about how it was the best car ever (in its class) and I had one as a rental and it was about the worst ever (in its class) so based on that I thought he had horrible taste and/or standards and would never take his advice on anything going forward. lol

Anyway, it wasn't meant as a dig at someone that only has ~$20K to spend on a car. I mean that is more than most people spend on their used "luxury" cars. :poosie: But I love how so many people just assume the worst and resort to insults. lol :D

(hopefully I used enough smiley faces so everyone realizes it is a lighthearted post like the first one was meant...)

dino_martini
02-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Floor plan show as many brands as last year. Just BMW/MB space is now dedicated to "Electric Hybrid Display"

And given how Calgary isn't generating 1%ers like before, not sure if the supercar group like Pfaff will keep coming to Calgary.

Yeah I liked the no pressure shopping too. But if price keep going up and brands keeps leaving, auto show could be a thing of the past.

Pfaff just opened a showroom over off Blackfoot Trail SE. So I don't think there is a risk of them not showing up.

Rocket1k78
02-08-2019, 01:36 PM

What I meant was within its class. I personally think the Lancer is one of the worst vehicles in its class. So I am just saying if someone has ~$20K to spend and they went with the Lancer over a Civic or Mazda 3 (or many other better choices) and then brags about it then I think they have low standards. I used the Lancer as an example because I worked with someone that had just bought one and talked about how it was the best car ever (in its class) and I had one as a rental and it was about the worst ever (in its class) so based on that I thought he had horrible taste and/or standards and would never take his advice on anything going forward. lol

Anyway, it wasn't meant as a dig at someone that only has ~$20K to spend on a car. I mean that is more than most people spend on their used "luxury" cars. :poosie: But I love how so many people just assume the worst and resort to insults. lol :D

(hopefully I used enough smiley faces so everyone realizes it is a lighthearted post like the first one was meant...)

Yeah my bad, we absolutely should've known you meant everything in your last post even though you left it all out. I guess i didnt leave enough smileys either in my post but i wasnt calling you pathetic personally:facepalm:. I was actually trying to say i think its pretty pathetic that there are so many bad drivers out there and the cops should really go after them because its just too dangerous.

Disoblige
02-08-2019, 01:56 PM
But also curious though, what is wrong with someone who is proud of affording a new Lancer have anything to do with their standards? What if they just enjoy how the car looks inside and out?

Do I have low standards if I enjoy McDonald's every now and then? Do I have to be a self-proclaimed "foodie" to have "high standards"?

blownz
02-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Yeah my bad, we absolutely should've known you meant everything in your last post even though you left it all out. I guess i didnt leave enough smileys either in my post but i wasnt calling you pathetic personally:facepalm:. I was actually trying to say i think its pretty pathetic that there are so many bad drivers out there and the cops should really go after them because its just too dangerous.

Okay then... I will be sure to write detailed essays on all future posts. :rolleyes: Are you this much fun in real life too?

16hypen3sp
02-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Can we get back to how sweet it is that Genesis is going to be there with a new G90? lol. Sooooo top drawer!!!

Rocket1k78
02-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Are you this much fun in real life too?

Says the guy who thinks people have low standards if they think their "own" car is awesome but you don't agree. Would it be fair to say you have low standards since a lot of people think hyundais are pos? Im not that person though, i personally think its a nice car but definitely not the best in its class:poosie::poosie::poosie::poosie:

You win though so lets just drop it

ganesh
02-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Wow, that blew up and wasn't taken at all how I meant it. lol

Lol. You keep on saying how their standards are low because you don't agree with their choice.

Sugarphreak
02-09-2019, 01:32 AM

A790
02-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Isn't the Lancer objectively one of the worst cars in its class?

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Isn't the Lancer objectively one of the worst cars in its class?

That has always been my impression. I don't believe you can even buy it anymore in Canada. They always let it go so long between updates, and Mitsubishi isn't exactly known for their quality. If it's someone's favorite car for some reason though, all the power to them as they will be able to get one for very cheap haha. I remember when you could still buy the very boxy style of Lancer, all the competition looked like it was from the future in comparison.

shakalaka
02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
I always look forward to the next one; I live vicariously through your car cycling hobby! haha

My first car was a 300$ 20 year old BMW covered in first sized rust holes that had a 1 summer tire, a snow tire, and 2 all seasons... I had to replace the seats with some out of a Chrysler because they actually had no middles, just springs and a hole. The engine oil had been changed with something for a diesel truck. A Civic Si would have been amazing... I would have told everybody how awesome it was, haha

These days I turn my nose up at entry level BMW's and Mercs'... freaking plebs, haha

Hehe. Good. At least someone gets enjoyment out of those. lol