PDA

View Full Version : Value of a 1968 Camaro RS/SS Big Block Car

HiTempguy1
02-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Trying to help a friend out, valuations seem all over the place for these cars.

My understand is the following:

1968 Camaro
RS/SS (has the flip headlights)
396 big block car, th400
NUMBERS MATCHING
black with white interior

Unknown mileage (I don't know it off hand), but I suspect 60k-100k based on pictures. Paint is in 7.5/10 to 8/10 condition. Car might have had a previous "mild" restoration (no paint). Nothing wrong with the car, nothing hacked, factory car that can be driven.

Any thoughts on price?

SR54RNR
02-07-2019, 08:04 AM
https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationtools/search/auto

There were 4 variations of the 396, need to know which one, as that impacts price. sounds like a condition #3 "good" vehicle. So if it has the L78 4bbl 375hp, Hagerty says around $58,900 USD

HiTempguy1
02-07-2019, 11:53 AM
https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationtools/search/auto

There were 4 variations of the 396, need to know which one, as that impacts price. sounds like a condition #3 "good" vehicle. So if it has the L78 4bbl 375hp, Hagerty says around $58,900 USD

Definitely would be valuing it as a 325hp car. So still almost $50k cdn? Wow.

Is #'s matching as important to people nowadays? It was a big thing in the late 90's and early millennium. I know confirming #'s matching can be more difficult on cdn cars than USA cars. I told him that his offer really needs to reflect that, but I don't know what a mostly original ss/rs (it definitely is a factory ss/rs) without a #'s matching drivetrain is worth.

SR54RNR
02-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Definitely would be valuing it as a 325hp car. So still almost $50k cdn? Wow.

Is #'s matching as important to people nowadays? It was a big thing in the late 90's and early millennium. I know confirming #'s matching can be more difficult on cdn cars than USA cars. I told him that his offer really needs to reflect that, but I don't know what a mostly original ss/rs (it definitely is a factory ss/rs) without a #'s matching drivetrain is worth.

In the classic collector car world, authenticity has a major influence in price. If you were standing next to two identical '68 Camaros, that had all the identical parts on them, one cars Vin indicated it started life as a v6 camaro, and the engine was swapped in, and the SS stuff added on to it, and the other has all the VIN stampings match, and the VIN when de-coded indicates it started life as a SS 396 -- the authentic car would be worth quite a bit more money.

check the google, on camaros there will be more than one VIN plate, and the engine and trans will be stamped with partial numbers from the vin. Then use the google to de-code the vin, to make 100% sure it came that way from the factory

Graham_A_M
02-10-2019, 02:33 PM
30-40k cad.