PDA

View Full Version : oil

pyro
03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
i was just wondering what happens when u add to much oil and if it wrecks anything. :dunno:

davidI
03-28-2004, 07:30 PM
It's somethign that you want to avoid. The oil could bubble or foam and perhaps even bust a seal.

ramminghard
03-28-2004, 07:34 PM
it can blow your motor

ZMan2k2
03-28-2004, 07:37 PM
^^^ Exactly. I did that once to my first car. Wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing, and put an extra litre of oil in. Most of it came up through the PCV valve, down into the carb, and blew out the tailpipe in a "lovely" shade of blue. The result of all that lovely burnt oil was a clogged cat, and a blown crank seal. If you've done it, empty the pan, and start over. Save yourself the headache.

pyro
03-28-2004, 07:39 PM
ya i might just empty it but i didnt put a whole lot exta in just a little bit and then i went driving around for an hour and it seemed alright so do u think itll be fine or should i still drain it

ZMan2k2
03-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Depends. Is it way over the 'full' mark on the dipstick, or is it kinda hovering around there? When I did mine, it was about a half-inch above the full line. But then again, I was 16 and it was a Hyundai.:rofl: Seriously, if it's not that high above the mark, I don't think I'd worry about it, but peace of mind IS worth the $15 for a refill.

Zero102
03-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Depends how far over full it is. If it's just a little, let it go. Especially if the car leaks/burns oil already. It will fix itself, lol.

Seriously, if it's 1/4-1/2litre, I wouldn't worry. You will get increased oil foaming, and it will suck more through the PCV valve, but that's about the worst it will do.

Perhaps slightly higher oil pressure?

davidI
03-29-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

Perhaps slightly higher oil pressure?

I think it's because of the higher oil pressure that seals can blow.

Although I'd agree that if it is just a bit you shouldn't worry too much!

Ducati
03-29-2004, 01:52 AM
It will gurgle up past the windage tray in the oilpan. It could get up into the spinning crankshaft, where it will put strain on and potentially cause problems.

Overfilled oil "cavitates" as a crankshaft spins. Cavitation is a principle of physics where the volume of fluid that gets up into the crankcase will gather centrifugal force and become a liquid blob, staying in one spot. This centrifugal force can, under many conditions, draw the remaining oil up out from beneath the baffles in the pan (windage tray) where the volume of oil merely spins and froths like a bunch of barfing children on the Tilt-O-Whirl, not doing much in the way of lubricating anything, and starve the oil pump. Not a good thing. I have heard of bent rods from cavitation.

In a transmission excess fluid will create a condition called "Flaring" where the excess oil that gets out of the torque convertor interferes with the smooth function of the clutch bands. It will also create pressure inside the case (engine block or transmission housing) that will exert force on seals and gaskets. It also will burn. Not good.

It is easier to be careful, but I have fucked up, so I know anyone can. Just loosen the drainplug to where oil just starts to seep, and release about a cupful. Then check the dipstick.
Better this little extra effort than the potential consequences.