PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight - short term

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Hey, I'm in a weight loss challenge with a cash prize, and while I'm using it overall as a motivation tool to make some healthy lifestyle changes, I also want to win.

For the weigh-in I was able to pack on 13 extra pounds of water weight. When it comes to weigh-out, I want to do everything I can to have the lowest possible number come up on that scale.

Aside from the obvious one of just eating and drinking little that day, what should I do?

Love to hear some tips from anyone who has had to "make weight" for a competition or something.

ianmcc
02-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Keto hard core. The biggest weight loss is in the first month or so.

Type_S1
02-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Hey, I'm in a weight loss challenge with a cash prize, and while I'm using it overall as a motivation tool to make some healthy lifestyle changes, I also want to win.

For the weigh-in I was able to pack on 13 extra pounds of water weight. When it comes to weigh-out, I want to do everything I can to have the lowest possible number come up on that scale.

Aside from the obvious one of just eating and drinking little that day, what should I do?

Love to hear some tips from anyone who has had to "make weight" for a competition or something.

Are you actually looking to lose real weight/fat, or just looking how to quickly weight cut to lose pounds?

If you are wanting to lose fat it all comes down to your caloric intake. You can go on a strict diet with a 500-1000/day calorie deficit while going to the gym for cardio/weight lifting and depending on your current body weight will lose 2-4 pounds per week. If you are serious you need to either 1) meal prep & Weigh all your food to know exactly what you are intaking: or 2) go to a healthy meal prep company and eat only from them for the duration of the competition. #2 can get pricey, but consider it that you are paying for convienence and paying to lose weight.

If you are talking about short term weight cut over a 1-2 days like fighters do to make weight you basically just need to dehydrate yourself. Lots of tutorials online, but I’ll tell you it is absolutely brutal and will be tough if you’ve never done it before.

Brent.ff
02-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Keto hard core. The biggest weight loss is in the first month or so.

Yup and add intermittent fasting and you’ll shed fast. I’m down 16 lbs (9%) since Jan 7 with whole30 and IF. And hasn’t required calorie counting

scboss
02-09-2019, 04:04 PM
If you are looking purely for a short term weight cut look into Stan Efferding seminars on youtube. He is a god in the powerlifting community for getting guys down in weight.
I think he dropped Dan Greens weight 35lbs in 3 days just manipulating sodium an water lol

shakalaka
02-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Yup and add intermittent fasting and you’ll shed fast. I’m down 16 lbs (9%) since Jan 7 with whole30 and IF. And hasn’t required calorie counting

Please provide more info on this and how/where can I learn more and maybe try and follow it. I sort of do IF anyway considering some times my first meal of the day is at 4PM but I'd love to do it in a way that actually benefits me and helps in losing the fat.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Are you actually looking to lose real weight/fat, or just looking how to quickly weight cut to lose pounds?
I have a good slow and steady system that works well for me for actual fat loss. The thread is just about the last few days.

Brent.ff
02-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Please provide more info on this and how/where can I learn more and maybe try and follow it. I sort of do IF anyway considering some times my first meal of the day is at 4PM but I'd love to do it in a way that actually benefits me and helps in losing the fat.

Look up whole30, it’s pretty straight forward just takes a bit to get used to. No alcohol and added sugar is pretty well enough to lose 10 lbs easily within a month.. Then I do a 10 am to 6 pm eating window. Typically have a breakfast of 3 eggs and some avocado. Lunch is just whole30 leftovers from day before.

I’m also doing a lot of activity. Soccer once to twice a week, ski tour usually one day a week, and zwift 3-5 days a week.

tonytiger55
02-09-2019, 04:55 PM
Do you go for walks...?
Cut out all refined sugar. Like ALL of it. My body started to flush out a lot of shit when I did this a while back.

benyl
02-09-2019, 05:20 PM
eat a fuck load of salad. No salt. No carbs. Lots of water to get rid of your water retention. On the last 2 days, sweat you bag off. Haha

I read that every gram of carbs you eat, you retain a gram of water or some shit. That’s why Leto gets you to drop weight.

ExtraSlow
02-09-2019, 05:41 PM
eat a fuck load of salad. No salt. No carbs. Lots of water to get rid of your water retention. On the last 2 days, sweat you bag off. Haha

I read that every gram of carbs you eat, you retain a gram of water or some shit. That’s why Leto gets you to drop weight.

Nice. Yeah, eating a lot of salt was definetly effective for me to pack the weight on for weigh-in. I basically ate nothing but fat, salt and low-fibre carbs to make sure I retained as much as possible. It was effective!

Tik-Tok
02-09-2019, 06:21 PM
That’s why Leto gets you to drop weight.

Leto definetely knows weight loss.

Darell_n
02-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Go visit a bunch a day cares and preschools. Since Christmas I’ve had a bad head cold, then stomach flu, then a chest cold / pneumonia and I’m now the lightest I’ve been in 20 years. It’s magic.

max_boost
02-09-2019, 11:22 PM
Lemonade diet aka master cleanse

Good luck bro lol

shakalaka
02-10-2019, 04:55 AM
Look up whole30, it’s pretty straight forward just takes a bit to get used to. No alcohol and added sugar is pretty well enough to lose 10 lbs easily within a month.. Then I do a 10 am to 6 pm eating window. Typically have a breakfast of 3 eggs and some avocado. Lunch is just whole30 leftovers from day before.

I’m also doing a lot of activity. Soccer once to twice a week, ski tour usually one day a week, and zwift 3-5 days a week.

Thanks will look it up and see if it’s something I can do for a few months. Would just like to lose 30 lbs or so, but not necessarily my muscle mass, just the fat. Like I said, some days my first meal of the day isn’t till like 4 anyway so I feel like I am already fasting as it is, might as well use it advantage. By the time I eat I am so damn starving I don’t care about healthy food and just eat whatever is easier and usually junk food. That really needs to stop.

Papers
02-11-2019, 03:16 PM
I been on my weight loss journey for a while now been 4 years? i was at 350lb now i am at a cool 200lb, still have belly fat but less then before. I don't eat till 12pm to 8pm. I am careful of what i eat tho, If i tend to go out and eat usually ill get a chicken breast / salmon with brown rice and kale at most places. I stay away from sugary drinks! and diet coke or what else. when i am craving sweets or sugar. I usually hit some fruits or the smart sweet candy and then i am good. I work out twice a day one in the morning then one during the evening, then have dinner. If you go out and drink try to drink vodka and water with lime or whatever. its i think about 60 to 70 calories a drink. I tried keto, i was not a happy person the first week lol keto flu was to rough on me. my marcos are 250g protein 50g fat 100g carbs.
Wish you the best luck in your journey just stick to it!

Work out to burn fat, usually HiiT or full body work out! I usually do both. So lets say bench after that set ill do burpee with a push up at the bottom, then triceps then burpee again with push at the end. the sets are upto you

Misterman
02-11-2019, 03:55 PM
For the last few days, you'll want to water load for a few days, drinking like 10-14L a day. Then cut your water almost completely about 24 hours out of weigh in. Get some Water Tight from a supplement store and take 2 of those pills every 6 hours once you cut your water. Or I can hook you up with some Diazide if you really want. For added craziness you can put a garbage bag on, put some sweat pants and shirt on, then do jumping jacks in the sauna that last day.

Should be good for a solid 20-30 pounds of weight loss(plus whatever you overweighted yourself to on first weigh in)

ExtraSlow
02-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Are any of these diuretics legit?

JRSC00LUDE
02-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Three days before weigh-in eat room temp raw chicken.

Misterman
02-11-2019, 04:35 PM
Are any of these diuretics legit?

For an over the counter diuretic, Water Tight is no joke. I was worried about being over my weight category for my last show, and took a few extra, ended up pissing out 20 pounds of water in a day. Diazide or Lasix are pharmaceutical ones, and yeah they work. I don't like Lasix though because it fucks with your potassium and can make you cramp up.

roopi
02-11-2019, 06:37 PM

:rofl:

e31
02-12-2019, 12:04 AM

To add to this: immediately before weigh in, withdraw a good quantity of blood and store for handy retrieval later. Blood contains some of the heaviest elements in the circulatory system, so rid yourself of that excess iron.

JRSC00LUDE
02-12-2019, 08:41 AM
:rofl:

It is an "easy" solution, twice in my life I have vacated well over 25 pounds of water weight in under 24 hours via bad food hahaha:barf:

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 12:13 PM
So my weight loss challenge is over, and I did pretty good of loosing about 20lbs of "legit" weight in the three months, and that includes a trip to vegas that set me back too. So I'm really happy with that. As for the "cutting weight" at the end, I failed. I'd never done anything like that before, and I think I was taking it too lightly. I didn't read up on the resources that you guys posted above, so I didn't have a really solid plan. What I did have is those PVL Watertight supplements, and I assumed those things would be like magic. I drank a lot more water the few days before (while taking WT) and then for the 2 days before, I drank much less water (well under 1L/d) and upped my dose of the WT capsules. In the end, I figure I lost around 2lbs of water, which is pretty minimal on a ~200lb guy. I also HATED drinking less water. Man, I love to drink water, I just do, and withholding that from myself was mental torture.

On the whole for the competition, I went from 231 to 197.8, which is pretty decent and might even win the competition. I'd heard so many people talk about cutting 10+lbs of water in the last few days, and I totally failed to do that.

So, summary, if you want to cut weight, do your homework beforehand, don't half-ass it.

tonytiger55
04-12-2019, 12:57 PM
So my weight loss challenge is over, and I did pretty good of loosing about 20lbs of "legit" weight in the three months, and that includes a trip to vegas that set me back too. So I'm really happy with that. As for the "cutting weight" at the end, I failed. I'd never done anything like that before, and I think I was taking it too lightly. I didn't read up on the resources that you guys posted above, so I didn't have a really solid plan. What I did have is those PVL Watertight supplements, and I assumed those things would be like magic. I drank a lot more water the few days before (while taking WT) and then for the 2 days before, I drank much less water (well under 1L/d) and upped my dose of the WT capsules. In the end, I figure I lost around 2lbs of water, which is pretty minimal on a ~200lb guy. I also HATED drinking less water. Man, I love to drink water, I just do, and withholding that from myself was mental torture.

On the whole for the competition, I went from 231 to 197.8, which is pretty decent and might even win the competition. I'd heard so many people talk about cutting 10+lbs of water in the last few days, and I totally failed to do that.

So, summary, if you want to cut weight, do your homework beforehand, don't half-ass it.

Sooooooo.... when we doing a food meet to plumper you up..? :clap:

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm down. Where has the best goat curry?

shakalaka
04-12-2019, 05:40 PM

So basically just give me in writing making it as detailed as possible, down to timing and quantity of food consumption and the kind of food along with recipe so I can do the same. Hahah I don't actually expect it but yes I do need something just like that to achieve any results personally.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 05:43 PM
So basically just give me in writing making it as detailed as possible, down to timing and quantity of food consumption and the kind of food along with recipe so I can do the same. Hahah I don't actually expect it but yes I do need something just like that to achieve any results personally.

Yours is easy bro. I could get you to loose weight with two simple things. 1) don't drink ANY calories. Nothing. Water and black coffee only. 2) no snacks.

You are starting at such a bad place, that initial results would actually be really easy.

You make it sound complicated, and it isn't. However, this is totally the wrong thread for that.

shakalaka
04-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Yours is easy bro. I could get you to loose weight with two simple things. 1) don't drink ANY calories. Nothing. Water and black coffee only. 2) no snacks.

You are starting at such a bad place, that initial results would actually be really easy.

You make it sound complicated, and it isn't. However, this is totally the wrong thread for that.

I actually don’t drink much pop or snack. If I do drink pop it’s diet.

Bad habit is sometimes not having the first meal until 3-4PM depending on how busy of a court day it is. Then when I eat it’s not healthy and I over eat. Been stuck around the 225-230 lbs range for forever. At least not going up so that’s good but pretty much losing all the muscle I gained over the younger years. Weight isn’t the issue but change in body compensation from muscles to soft sucks. For me I feel like it really is that complicated.

tonytiger55
04-12-2019, 06:30 PM
I'm down. Where has the best goat curry?

I actually make the best lamb curry.
My bro in law makes goat.

bigbadboss101
04-12-2019, 09:53 PM
When I go for Indian I always get curry lamb/goat. Most people like butter chicken. We like JP Bistro in Evanston.

bigbadboss101
04-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Hey post some transformation pics! Can be a motivational factor for others.

ExtraSlow
04-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Hey post some transformation pics! Can be a motivational factor for others.

I thought I took a before pic, but can't find it. By no means am I skinny now.

Just got word I got first place in my competition, so yay!

Disoblige
04-13-2019, 02:16 AM
Just got word I got first place in my competition, so yay!
Celebratory beers.

scboss
04-14-2019, 10:08 PM
I actually don’t drink much pop or snack. If I do drink pop it’s diet.

Bad habit is sometimes not having the first meal until 3-4PM depending on how busy of a court day it is. Then when I eat it’s not healthy and I over eat. Been stuck around the 225-230 lbs range for forever. At least not going up so that’s good but pretty much losing all the muscle I gained over the younger years. Weight isn’t the issue but change in body compensation from muscles to soft sucks. For me I feel like it really is that complicated.

Its not complicated at all lol

What I always tell my clients to start with is trying to hit .8g of protein per pound of body weight. So in your case its roughly 180g a day. I can guarantee you like most people you are under eating good food severely and your carbs/fats are through the roof. You will learn hitting this number will not only allow you alot more food but the calories you eat will come from better sources.

Ive had a client drop 6lbs in last two weeks and another one drop 35 in last 5 months just by cooking everything and hitting that number.

Disoblige
04-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Its not complicated at all lol

What I always tell my clients to start with is trying to hit .8g of protein per pound of body weight. So in your case its roughly 180g a day.
To be fair though, getting 180 g of protein a day isn't exactly easy, especially if one plans on doing this consistently.

heavyfuel
04-14-2019, 10:46 PM
To be fair though, getting 180 g of protein a day isn't exactly easy, especially if one plans on doing this consistently.

Most people who think this way easily eat 180 grams of garbage daily, so really it’s not that hard. Just have to want it:

2 cans of tuna= 50-60ish grams
3 eggs with breakfast= 40 grams roughly (large eggs)
100g chicken breast, ground beef or ground turkey, 20g, x2 daily =40g
Whey isolate shake= 2 scoop 60g serving

There’s 180-190 right there, and that’s one of the easiest most basic combinations I can think of.

Misterman
04-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Yeah you can only trick your body for about 12 hours. You can't cut water 2 days out.

ExtraSlow
04-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Yeah you can only trick your body for about 12 hours. You can't cut water 2 days out.

I'll do better research next time (if there is a next time)

For anyone looking to help out Shak, he's got his own thread now. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/410111-Shakalaka-diet-plan

bigbadboss101
04-15-2019, 09:24 PM
Interesting how much weight can fluctuate in 3-4 days, or even within a day. Jan 4 I was at 192lbs, at 5'8". Since Feb have been eating below 30g of net carb most days, and reducing sugar intake, processed food etc. This evening my scale read 182. Last week I saw 175 for the first time since the late 90s. Interestingly haven't been eating badly the last few days but up 7 lbs. I supposed not enough veggies, fiber, and hydration.

During these 4 months very little exercise cuz of being busy, stressed, kids etc. No excuses though. Results will be much better combining exercises with healthy eating. Goal is ~170lbs, but will have to put some mass back on/recomp soon.

heavyfuel
04-18-2019, 08:19 AM
It is interesting. Especially as you get older! At 43 now I still fluctuate 3-6 lbs overnight easily and my biggest fluctuation was 12 lbs in 24 hrs. And that's without any weird supplements/pills or whatever the fuck else is out there. I'll hit 230-232 after a weekend of snowboarding, drinking and eating garbage then back down to 225 within a day and a half with minimal effort. On my off days I usually really ease off on the carbs until the night before my next 4 on.

It took me roughly 8 months of a Nazi eating regime where I literally counted every grain of rice and tracked every macro, then gradually eased off of that to the point where I still prep and weigh my portions but if I want a slice of pizza one night I'm not gonna get all upset about those extra calories. Earn to burn, and burn to earn. Nothing like bro bodybuilders who think cardio is 15 minutes on a stationary bike yet get all upset when they can't "afford" a couple hundred extra calories that day. Gimme a break lol

That's why I say fuck all the science behind it because everybody is different and there's no trainer or nutritionist that can do for anybody what that person can do for themselves if they piece together the knowledge from dozens of sources but above all learn what their body needs and how it reacts, as opposed to throwing money at someone to tell them what to eat and how to lift, with their fingers crossed lol

ExtraSlow
09-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Well, I'm in another weight loss competition after winning first prize in the last one. Will be more work this time since I'm working these days. Need to bulk for a bit before weigh in, then real weight loss for ten weeks, then final cut.

Last time the water cut didn't work at all. Need a better system.

lasimmon
09-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Straight weight or one of those body composition machines? You can fool those machines haha.

ExtraSlow
09-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Straight weight percentage.

benyl
09-03-2019, 12:50 PM
What did you do for water cut last time. This works for me:

Eat super salty food like A&W the day before weigh in. Drink 2 litres of water right before weigh-in. That's an easy 5 lbs. Don't shit the morning of weigh in, shit the day of. That's another 2lbs if you shit like me. haha.

7lbs. you can probably do 3lbs of dehydration. so a total of 10lbs.

The rest you will have to lose. What is the percentage and where are you starting? I have done these bets about 10 times in my life. Always win.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2019, 01:55 PM
I gained 13 lbs of water of the weigh-in last time, hit the salt and water HARD.
For the cut I was taking PVL watertight for the 4 days ahead and I drank a ton of water on days -3 and -2, then very little on -1 and basically nothing on weigh-out day. Lost like 2 lbs water, which was pitiful.

benyl
09-03-2019, 02:34 PM
You have to work out. haha. sweat does the body good.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2019, 02:48 PM
You have to work out. haha. sweat does the body good.

Hmm, I guess it's just that simple.

suntan
09-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Take magnesium citrate pills. You'll shit out everything real quick.

ExtraSlow
09-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Straight weight or one of those body composition machines? You can fool those machines haha.
Well, they've changed the rules and we are now doing body fat percentage on one of those InBody machines. So, lasimmon, how do you fool those machines?

Darkane
09-07-2019, 03:02 PM
I gained 13 lbs of water of the weigh-in last time, hit the salt and water HARD.
For the cut I was taking PVL watertight for the 4 days ahead and I drank a ton of water on days -3 and -2, then very little on -1 and basically nothing on weigh-out day. Lost like 2 lbs water, which was pitiful.

While doing that try to do a very low carb diet. Keep sodium low.

Think fish and mixed veg, chicken breast salads, whey protein with 1tbsp natural PB.

Along with your water manipulation and your piss pills, should be a recipe for victory.

lasimmon
09-09-2019, 11:43 AM
Well, they've changed the rules and we are now doing body fat percentage on one of those InBody machines. So, lasimmon, how do you fool those machines?

This might be opposite than what you are looking for depending on what your contest is all about, but:

Your "Before" Measurement
Glycogen deplete yourself for a number of days by consuming a low carb diet and engaging in glycogen-depleting exercise (like high volume, high rep weight training)
Keep sodium intake at your typical levels
Get your body fat test 1-2 hours after waking, but before eating or drinking anything

Your "After" Measurement
Carb load for 3 days by consuming an extremely high carbohydrate diet
The day of your test, consume a lot of food, water, and a high sodium diet
Get tested in the afternoon or evening, 1-3 hours after your meal
Get tested soon after doing a "pump" style workout

This is for lowering your BF% and increasing lean mass. Where weight doesn't matter. It worked pretty well for me. But you may need to massage it depending what it is your are testing and competing on.

We were using the Machine at the World Health at the Bay if you know that machine. I think it is or is similar to the Inbody machine. Been a while though.

benyl
09-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Those machines are luck of the draw. I'll find the results at home where I took measurements within 10 minutes and it showed a material difference.

They are relatively good, I feel like the precision is low.