PDA

View Full Version : What could I get used between 20-30G? Sports sedan-wise?

370Z
02-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Looking for suggestions. I want to replace my GLK and 370z combo this summer with one year round car... my budget is low 20s but might go as high as high 20s for the right vehicle.

Just started my search but the 2013ish 335xi's have caught my eye. They look great and they are fast, M3 fast. I'd really miss driving a manual but I think it would be smart to get 8 speed auto as I'd be taking it camping and my wife would drive it in these road trips too.

I don't much about BMWs but is this a good car? Have they had any problems with it? I've read to stay away from the 328s of the same year and briefly read about problems with the auto tranny which might make me lean more towards a manual.

Any other suggestions? Not too into the look of the Audi S4s. I like Infiniti Q50s but slower and a little too big for my tastes. Anything else? How's the Mercedes C300? C400 if I can find a higher km one?

I absolutely hate the look of the Acura TLs and anything Honda. No Subarus either.

Basically I want awd, fast, and reliable and under 30.

bjstare
02-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Good one :rofl:

I wouldn't buy a 335xi off warranty, and also wouldn't expect it to be "M3 fast" unless it's got a JB4 or something (in which case, I really wouldn't want to own it off warranty).

You should think about a golf R. Not incredibly fast, but meets the criteria more or less. Or save your pennies and you can look at a Civic Type R (not AWD but apparently incredible). If you want to stretch and risk the head gasket, you could also think about the Focus RS.

370Z
02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Oh ya, forgot about those Golf Rs... but they are still in the 30s used.

When I say M3 fast, I meant it's old M3 fast lol

I would rather take the bus than be seen in a Civic Type R.

G-ZUS
02-12-2019, 12:23 AM
Only answer is a v6-6

Team_Mclaren
02-12-2019, 12:37 AM

well you're in luck, cause you wont be able to buy a CTR on that budget lol...

anyways back on topic, when you say old M3 fast which M3 is that? cause anything German in that price range is going to be a risk in terms of reliability and anything japanese is slow.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2019, 01:47 AM

Super_Geo
02-12-2019, 02:19 AM
I am very partial to the F30 328i. Unreal efficiency, enough power for city driving, and low-20s will get you a low km car.

Problem is... everyone has one these days...

Misterman
02-12-2019, 07:03 AM

2012-2015 Audi S4 /thread

colinxx235
02-12-2019, 07:32 AM

You forgot to strike out reliable though...

arcticcat522
02-12-2019, 08:16 AM
I vote 335xi for what it's worth. Love the motor. If you are looking for a sport sedan in that price range, I think every car has potential expensive repairs. Especially anything German.

ExtraSlow
02-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Or you could give up the brand whoring and get a brand new Korean car that is awd and reliable for that price.

Misterman
02-12-2019, 08:27 AM

It's the most reliable car that fits the category. What part is specifically unreliable about them?

inb4#durrgerman

joker
02-12-2019, 10:11 AM
It's the most reliable car that fits the category. What part is specifically unreliable about them?

inb4#durrgerman

I would suggest getting at 2013 or newer as they updated the DSG. Anything before that is a crap shoot with that trans.

bjstare
02-12-2019, 10:22 AM

inb4#durrgerman

Long story short, DSG and sport diff are problem areas (and those are the two items that really make the car fun).

Colin owned one though, I'm sure he'll go on about his issues in a little more detail. haha

chongkee_
02-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Used S4 would probably do the trick (if you can get over the looks I guess, haha). I think they look nice though

https://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/S4/SHERWOOD+PARK/Alberta/19_10866093_/?mnclk=1&showVs=1

That car is beat to shit exterior wise hence the price. Came across that car a few weeks ago when I was looking for a car with the same category as the OP.

inb4#durrgerman

The B8 S4 are definitely more reliable than the previous gens.

At OP, if you're pretty strict on your budget and looking for a Golf R then you'll only be able to get a MK6 under $30k.
There are some MK7 (2016) on sale around town at $ 33k.
I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago.
During my search when I was looking for a replacement to my MK6 Golf R I narrowed it down to a B8 S4 or another Golf R.
I decided to up my budget and got an MK7 Golf R.
I also looked at a WRX, STI, TLX. Never bothered with the IS or the Q50 since I'm not a huge fan of the looks.

msommers
02-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Used German vehicle off warranty....

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
S4 is the the easy choice in this price range IMHO. If you're at all worried about reliability get one with the 6MT and DO NOT buy a leaseback. Leased performance cars in particular get absolutely bagged. Find a good private sale sample. Even the DSG was fine post 2013. Keep in mind that people are 100X more vocal about problems and horror stories than happy owners, and it's no different than anything else you buy at the end of the day in the same general category - if it's a good sample and well taken care of it should have no problems. There's always a risk especially with used.

I owned 2 S4's over ~10 years including a B5 (notoriously 'unreliable' and chipped from day one, sold at 140,000km) and literally had zero problems over that entire period with either car, daily driving them year round. Changed oil & did scheduled maintenance, that was it. If either car was beat on all the time or had a rough life that might have been different, but that goes for any car.

You could also get a 335i, G37x, 535i, 550i, etc. in that price range. And you can chip all these cars (except the G37) for great performance gains now that they're off warranty.

My dad recently sold his 2004 545i, again no problems since day one - oil changes and scheduled/routine maintenance, that's it. 15 years of perfect reliability. Replaced it with an Audi A6 3.0T that in 3 years so far has also had zero issues.

You need to be patient if you're looking for cars like this - a lot of them are bagged or leasebacks, and finding a good sample is key to it's long term reliability.

I can only speak for my experience though, YMMV.

A2VR6
02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Might be a little tough to find but what about a IS350 F-Sport AWD? You're basically limited to a 2014/2015 and you'll be at the higher end of your budget.

JustinL
02-12-2019, 11:17 AM
I've been driving a B8.5 S4 daily for a couple years now. It's off warranty now :drama: I've had to replace a wheel bearing, which was within the warranty period, but not covered by the warranty. Otherwise it's dead reliable. The DSG is ok, I don't really like arguing with it about what to do, but it does shift fast. German cars have a bad reputation off warranty, that I think is mostly perpetuated by internet memes. Almost every car I've owned is German and off warranty, and for the most part have been very dependable.

The S4 looks good, is quiet, fast and has lots of straight line grip. It's not a well balanced sports car, but it does it's job pretty well.

SkiBum5.0
02-12-2019, 11:44 AM
I agree that the reliability is tied to model and previous owner/maintenance. I've had two off warranty E92 M3's and they were very reliable. It's very boring but if you are worried about reliability, spend $25K on the car and have $5K set aside for maintenance/repair.

370Z
02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. 2013+ S4 is now on top of my list (none < 30G but I'd consider upping my budget)... what about the S5s? Are they basically the same, just with 2 doors?

- - - Updated - - -

Or you could give up the brand whoring and get a brand new Korean car that is awd and reliable for that price.

A new Stinger is way out of my budget. And same with the G70/G60.

killramos
02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
With German cars I think a lot of people mistake “poor reliability” with “expensive to fix”

That being said sports sedans are often best to shit by their owners which makes them more likely to experience a failure. At least that’s my take.

If you can’t afford them new, you probably can’t afford them used when it comes to repairs and maintenance items.

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 12:41 PM
what about the S5s? Are they basically the same, just with 2 doors?

Yup pretty much.

BavarianBeast
02-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Yup get a B8/8.5 S4. 335i/xi is a great package but the B8/8.5 S4's are better in every way. If your considering an S5, just make sure it has the 3.0T(Supercharged) engine and not the 4.2L v8 as there was a overlap in production where the S4's were getting the 3.0t and the S5s were getting the 4.2L v8.

Xtrema
02-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Really, 2013-2015 are solid other than DSG and Sport Diff.

Stay away from 2010-early 2012s.

Still, you better save up for big repair bill for off warranty Germans.

colinxx235
02-12-2019, 02:31 PM
I was rushing out to the PUG/SUG plants before I added much more. But yes, as Craig pointed out I owned one (for 5 years). A 2011 which I've vented a few issues on the forum in the past and don't need to re hash.

I know 13-15 fixed a ton of issues with the DSG/Sports diff etc. I still loved my B8 but fuck did it ever have a couple issues pop up and they were brutally expensive.
I personally felt that the B8/8.5 killed its competition. Looks, power, speed, handling etc. As long as you had the sports diff. And if it wasn't for economic reasons I would have got a 15 instead of the R. The new gens I think went from 1st to 3rd among the germans.

But yah if you can find a solid 13/14 in your price range it would get my vote. already taken its massive depreciation hits. Just hope no major repairs happen really. But I'd probably put aside 5-10k in case something happens.

C4S
02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
When I say M3 fast, I meant it's old M3 fast lol

I would rather be in a Type R than some 6-7 yr old 3 series for sure ... big time! LOL

awd, fast, and reliable and under 30

May be some old Sti? but then, for that kind of limit budget, you are looking for one without warranty ... even they are reasonable reliable, but start to cost $ on tires, brake, service, some repair etc ..

ercchry
02-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Instead of getting something m3 fast... why not just get an m3?? Haha... I have a sedan in manual... in budget if you’re interested

colinxx235
02-12-2019, 03:18 PM
I would rather be in a Type R than some 6-7 yr old 3 series for sure ... big time! LOL

but why? Type R is slower, rougher ride, less tech, way less luxury. Not to mention a type R costs 2x as much :dunno:

BavarianBeast
02-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Couldn't catch me dead behind a CTR. They're designed and built for 16 year olds.

Sugarphreak
02-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 04:19 PM
but why? Type R is slower, rougher ride, less tech, way less luxury. Not to mention a type R costs 2x as much :dunno:

Have you driven a Type R? It's as docile/comfortable as a normal Civic outside of "R" mode, that is a big part of the appeal. The motor is also a treat, it's just as happy to putt around town as it is to be driven balls to the wall.

Honestly one of the most fun cars I have driven, ever. Way more fun than any sports sedan I've ever driven (335i, S4, C43, etc), and it was more fun to drive around the track than the Ferrari F430 I drove right after it because it was easier to drive at 10/10 and the rev matched manual downshifts were icing on the cake. The looks definitely aren't for everyone, but that car was so enjoyable to drive I wouldn't care about looking like a high school student in it lol.

Also you know the CTR is going to hold it's value super well, and probably be completely reliable no matter how hard you drive it. It has a lot of tech in it too (lane keep, autonomous cruise, wireless charging pad, etc.) but maybe not as much as a loaded Audi/BMW. It's not as luxorious but it's built well and the seats/steering wheel/ shiftier etc. are all amazing.

But yeah, way out of the OP's price range anyway. If you haven't driven one I highly recommend it.

A2VR6
02-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Have you driven a Type R? It's as docile/comfortable as a normal Civic outside of "R" mode, that is a big part of the appeal. The motor is also a treat, it's just as happy to putt around town as it is to be driven balls to the wall.

Honestly one of the most fun cars I have driven, ever. Way more fun than any sports sedan I've ever driven (335i, S4, C43, etc), and it was more fun to drive around the track than the Ferrari F430 I drove right after it because it was easier to drive at 10/10 and the rev matched manual downshifts were icing on the cake. The looks definitely aren't for everyone, but that car was so enjoyable to drive I wouldn't care about looking like a high school student in it lol.

Also you know the CTR is going to hold it's value super well, and probably be completely reliable no matter how hard you drive it. It has a lot of tech in it too (lane keep, autonomous cruise, wireless charging pad, etc.) but maybe not as much as a loaded Audi/BMW. It's not as luxorious but it's built well and the seats/steering wheel/ shiftier etc. are all amazing.

But yeah, way out of the OP's price range anyway. If you haven't driven one I highly recommend it.

Completely off topic, but the CTR doesnt have lane keep or autonomous cruise. Also, build quality is much better on most other cars. The panel gaps are absolutely ridiculous on the car (granted, I think it's a Swindon only thing).

I agree that it's a car that can only be understood after someone drives it. If someone looks at the car at face value without driving it it doesnt make much sense of why people think it's such a great car.

:hijack:

What about a GLA45/CLA45? I see that early 2015's are dropping into the low 30s.

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Completely off topic, but the CTR doesnt have lane keep or autonomous cruise. Also, build quality is much better on most other cars. The panel gaps are absolutely ridiculous on the car (granted, I think it's a Swindon only thing).

I agree that it's a car that can only be understood after someone drives it. If someone looks at the car at face value without driving it it doesnt make much sense of why people think it's such a great car.

What about a GLA45/CLA45? I see that early 2015's are dropping into the low 30s.

I drove one in the UK and I am pretty sure it had all the same features my car had - is it different for North America? If not then I must have been confused with something else.

I didn't go over the R's interior with a fine tooth comb because I was there to drive it, but my Civic hatch is made in the UK as well and it is made far better than any other similar vehicle I looked at. Obviously it's not up to par with something like an Audi in terms of build quality, but it's a very tight car with zero rattles, which I can't say about anything else I drove. One reason I got the hatch over the coupe/sedan was because the coupe/sedan had an awful rattle when the doors shut, but the hatch had a rock solid "thud". The R I drove was the same but my sample size was admittedly 1 for that.

Anyways, the appeal is mostly in the drive and practicality combination - outside of exotics nothing else has put that big of a smile on my face and I have driven pretty much every 'common' sports sedan out there.

BavarianBeast
02-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Maybe a ctr is more fun to drive for an inexperienced driver. If you think it’s more fun than an F430 around the track it’s probably because you don’t know how to push mid engine rwd supercar properly. Anybody who thinks driving a fwd car is more fun than rwd or awd just doesn’t know how to use those drivetrains properly imo...

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 05:16 PM
Maybe a ctr is more fun to drive for an inexperienced driver. If you think it’s more fun than an F430 around the track it’s probably because you don’t know how to push mid engine rwd supercar properly. Anybody who thinks driving a fwd car is more fun than rwd or awd just doesn’t know how to use those drivetrains properly imo...

Have you driven both yourself back to back on a track? They were both super fun in their own ways but I just personally preferred the CTR even though it was slower.

Like I said earlier though, it was easier to push the CTR to 10/10 and that contributed to how fun it was, along with it being an actual manual, there was more to think about. I have not driven many exotics on a track. The F430 was ridiculously easy to drive but in a different way - it was a very simple car with the F1 paddles. Obviously I wasn't allowed to drift it around corners or anything in an "exotic car experience" type scenario.

I'm sure I'm far from the best driver but the instructor said my driving would have been good enough to win some of their intermediate leagues :dunno: Couldn't have been that bad lol, but I really don't know for sure. Anyways it was a really fun day for me.

gpomp
02-12-2019, 05:18 PM

https://magazine.evo.co.uk/2018/09/30/track-car-of-the-year/pugpig_index.html

I'll save you a read and just tell you how it ends, the Civic Type R beat out cars like the 991.2 GT3 and 570S for track car of the year.

BavarianBeast
02-12-2019, 05:23 PM
I’m actually surprised the CTR was slower than the 430. I haven’t driven them back to back, but I have driven a few fast fwd cars around the track and while they can be very fast, the driving experience isn’t as much fun. Pulling out of corners with the front wheels doesn’t have any fun factor to it imo. I think if your driving instructor let you turn the nannies off and let you have some fun around the corners you would of had a more enjoyable experience. Also, with our winter conditions 7/12 months, why wouldn’t you want a car that you can launch on the snow and slide around corners with confidence without slamming the e-brake and hoping the front wheels can pull you out of the turn.

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
I’m actually surprised the CTR was slower than the 430. I haven’t driven them back to back, but I have driven a few fast fwd cars around the track and while they can be very fast, the driving experience isn’t as much fun. Pulling out of corners with the front wheels doesn’t have any fun factor to it imo. I think if your driving instructor let you turn the nannies off and let you have some fun around the corners you would of had a more enjoyable experience. Also, with our winter conditions 7/12 months, why wouldn’t you want a car that you can launch on the snow and slide around corners with confidence without slamming the e-brake and hoping the front wheels can pull you out of the turn.

It felt slower, but it might not have been - I would have to go back and check as you might be right. The F430 felt like it gained speed easier but I could drive the CTR harder with full confidence which may have resulted in better times. I didn't have much time to glance at the speedo haha.

If you get a chance to drive the CTR take it (if it wasn't one of the ones you've tried) - it's surprsingly hard to tell that car is FWD. I kept reading that comment in magazines and didn't really believe it until I tried it myself. At the end of the day I wished I could have just paid for way more laps in the CTR rather than any in the F430 and Aston Martin.

heavyD
02-12-2019, 06:03 PM

I have to agree with this. I had one on order and I went and looked at it when it came in and asked for my deposit back. Even Mustangs have better panel gaps as it's just not a well put together car and it looked too delicate to daily. I get that it's a great performer for a FWD car but when you factor in the poor build quality and worst infotainment system in the business it's just not as appealing to me although the seats were maybe the best I have ever sat in like they were made for my body.

Before the poster above tries to refute the build quality, it's common knowledge that the Swindon plant is not a very good plant and it's noted in reviews such as this;

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a25336198/honda-civic-type-r-versus-hyundai-veloster-n-hot-hatch-battle/

The U.K.-built Type R is rife with ill-fitting panels and uneven gaps that wouldn't pass inspection at Tesla.

Honda should consider moving the manufacturing of these cars from the UK.

tonytiger55
02-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Lexus...? Reliability, AWD and fast..? :dunno:

ragu
02-12-2019, 09:58 PM
CTR has grown on me and limited audience gets why that car is so so good. As OP drives GLK/370Z, I'd try to tailor my advice accordingly. I owned G35 once and it was the most horrid experience. I think a mix of both of these cars if you want to maintain summer fun is as following:
- Audi RS4
- B8 S4
- E90 M3

Drive em and see what works for you.

370Z
02-12-2019, 10:10 PM
The CLA45 option intrigues me. That and the S3. I love small cars. We have no kids so space is not an issue. Maybe I'll wait a year for these to come down in price.

dirtsniffer
02-12-2019, 11:13 PM
A nicely loaded accord is nicer than an entry level 3 series, at least it was 10 years ago when cbmw had them as rentals.

Always thought it was hilarious when people whined about getting the loaded accord over a base e90 320 loaner

Misterman
02-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Long story short, DSG and sport diff are problem areas (and those are the two items that really make the car fun).

Colin owned one though, I'm sure he'll go on about his issues in a little more detail. haha

OP wants fun, so assumed he would be getting a manual. That solves one assumptive problem area.

Misterman
02-13-2019, 07:25 AM

No doubt. 2 words. Throttle steer.

Misterman
02-13-2019, 07:29 AM
Lexus...? Reliability, AWD and fast..? :dunno:

The IS300/350 is great little car that meets the criteria. But it is bloody small inside. The cup holders were enough to make me not want another one. RR racing does make a supercharger kit for them now though................

mzdspd
02-13-2019, 10:00 AM
What about a ATS? 2018 for under 30k. Still would have a full warranty and these cars drive great.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/cadillac/ats/edmonton/alberta/5_42302343_20140609090719505/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=3_15_36&pc=T6A%204A4&sprx=-2

mzdspd
02-13-2019, 10:09 AM
The IS300/350 is great little car that meets the criteria. But it is bloody small inside. The cup holders were enough to make me not want another one. RR racing does make a supercharger kit for them now though................

I love how these cars drive but the ergonomics are horrible.. You sit low but you have a high center console with awkward placed cup holders. And then the infotainment/climate control is just horribly laid out with all touch instead of buttons. I am over 6 feet tall and can never actually get comfortable in the car without feeling cramped.

Mitsu3000gt
02-13-2019, 10:15 AM
The CLA45 option intrigues me. That and the S3. I love small cars. We have no kids so space is not an issue. Maybe I'll wait a year for these to come down in price.

The S3 is an absolute blast, so small and nimble. Might be hard to find one for $25-30K but maybe they are creeping down into the $30's. Dynamic mode barking with every up-shift along with the magnetic suspension will keep a grin on your face the whole time. Interior is also amazing, much of the materials and switchgear are straight out of the A8. CLA/GLA 45 are probably way out of your price range for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

A nicely loaded accord is nicer than an entry level 3 series, at least it was 10 years ago when cbmw had them as rentals.

Always thought it was hilarious when people whined about getting the loaded accord over a base e90 320 loaner

IMO the Accord 2.0T Sport is one of the most underrated cars out there for value. Dirt cheap at ~$34K brand new, great motor, 6MT, good power, plenty of technology and a brand new design. I bet you can get an amazing deal on them too because everyone wants SUVs.

G-ZUS
02-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Used German vehicle off warranty....

Meh, they're not as bad as people make them out to be. I've a few older BMW's and Mercedes, the key is to find a clean example that was taken care of. Otherwise, you will be playing catch up with maintenance that was neglected.

heavyD
02-13-2019, 01:56 PM
What about a ATS? 2018 for under 30k. Still would have a full warranty and these cars drive great.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/cadillac/ats/edmonton/alberta/5_42302343_20140609090719505/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=3_15_36&pc=T6A%204A4&sprx=-2

The ATS may have the best chassis in it's segment but the rest of the car isn't special especially the interior. ATS-V on the other hand will be a great by in a couple more years when they are available in the $30k range.

A2VR6
02-13-2019, 02:01 PM
The S3 is an absolute blast, so small and nimble. Might be hard to find one for $25-30K but maybe they are creeping down into the $30's. Dynamic mode barking with every up-shift along with the magnetic suspension will keep a grin on your face the whole time. Interior is also amazing, much of the materials and switchgear are straight out of the A8. CLA/GLA 45 are probably way out of your price range for a while.

You can get a 2014/2015 CLA/GLA45 for 32k right now... i bet in a year they'll be right at the 30k mark.

bjstare
02-13-2019, 02:20 PM
Also if you're willing to forego AWD, first gen (08-09) Lexus ISF checks your boxes better than many of the other cars mentioned in this thread. Deadly reliable, enough power to be a fun DD. Can easily be had for under $30k, you just have to be patient.

Mitsu3000gt
02-13-2019, 02:36 PM
You can get a 2014/2015 CLA/GLA45 for 32k right now... i bet in a year they'll be right at the 30k mark.

Oh wow that's pretty good, I didn't realize they were that old now. You could get them up to around $70K new I would have thought they would have held their value better for an AMG.

370Z
02-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Oh wow that's pretty good, I didn't realize they were that old now. You could get them up to around $70K new I would have thought they would have held their value better for an AMG.

Yup, I checked kijiji... might be worth it to up my budget though I'm 38 right now and I'm not quite ready to give up my 370z just yet, maybe I'll wait until my 40th haha then up my budget up to $40,000.

Mitsu3000gt
02-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Yup, I checked kijiji... might be worth it to up my budget though I'm 38 right now and I'm not quite ready to give up my 370z just yet, maybe I'll wait until my 40th haha then up my budget up to $40,000.

Perfect mid life crisis territory haha. Sounds like a good plan.

SR54RNR
02-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Also if you're willing to forego AWD, first gen (08-09) Lexus ISF checks your boxes better than many of the other cars mentioned in this thread. Deadly reliable, enough power to be a fun DD. Can easily be had for under $30k, you just have to be patient.

I'll co-sign on this. For the past 3 years I've been daily driving my ISF in the winter and summer, in Edmonton, and it has been solid.

gpomp
02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
My 2011 Honda Fit was more engaging to drive than my 2008 ISF. :dunno:

ExtraSlow
02-14-2019, 10:44 AM

C4S
02-14-2019, 12:17 PM
CTR has grown on me and limited audience gets why that car is so so good. As OP drives GLK/370Z, I'd try to tailor my advice accordingly. I owned G35 once and it was the most horrid experience. I think a mix of both of these cars if you want to maintain summer fun is as following:
- Audi RS4
- B8 S4
- E90 M3

Drive em and see what works for you.

Me too, I couldn't believe I like the Civic R, I didn't like it at first, but ride in few of them, and they are nice! $45K for a 300+ HP mid size 4 door sedan made in England quite a bargain! Being an old fart born in the 70's, had 4 or 5 civic when I was young, then numerous of BMW ... older 3 series are just not cool anymore ..

And most Civic Type R I have seen, not driven by kids, nor chicks anymore, but ~30-40 yr old men! *_*

bjstare
02-14-2019, 12:36 PM

Interesting perspective. As a DD I'd have a tendency to agree. I know my ISF is pretty engaging when I drive at 8/10ths though, and delivers something more (IMO).

Graham_A_M
02-14-2019, 10:21 PM
You can get a nice older Buick Regal GS. Some came with 6speed manuals, (up until 2016) factory 14" Brembros, 20" rims. 2.0 turbo four cylinder (stock 270hp with 295 tq) Their fast and fun cars. Here's mine. (2012 GS with the 6speed manual). I've had this car since new,
No problems. With a bigger turbo, I take and tune, 400+hp isnt hard to achieve with the stock internals.

CMW403
02-15-2019, 02:30 AM
If that's your budget I wouldn't go near a 335... I have actually lost count how many times I have taken my moms 335i in for service. Purchased brand new and BMW maintained for its entire life, absolutely babied and hardly ever driven. She's on her third set of injectors and she hasn't even broken 150k for god sake...

Sure, you can get one in your price range, but the scheduled maintenance after 100k will break you (and that is without even factoring in the NON scheduled maintenance that will CRUSH you). In other words, a 30k 335 is actually a 50k 335.

I think you need to re-think your brand whorish attitude, or increase that budget.

Misterman
02-15-2019, 07:12 AM
If that's your budget I wouldn't go near a 335... I have actually lost count how many times I have taken my moms 335i in for service. Purchased brand new and BMW maintained for its entire life, absolutely babied and hardly ever driven. She's on her third set of injectors and she hasn't even broken 150k for god sake...

Sure, you can get one in your price range, but the scheduled maintenance after 100k will break you (and that is without even factoring in the NON scheduled maintenance that will CRUSH you). In other words, a 30k 335 is actually a 50k 335.

I think you need to re-think your brand whorish attitude, or increase that budget.

This why I laughed when a few people were like "Audi S4 is junk and costs a fortune to maintain", while simultaneously mentioning the 335i, that will need water pump, injectors, turbos replaced, etc. After 4 different 3-series BMW's, I'm unlikely to ever own another BMW again.

03ozwhip
02-15-2019, 07:44 AM

What year is that? Because that's an anomaly as far as I'm concerned. I've had 4 N55 BMW's (2011 and up) and I only had a oil filter gasket replaced out of all of them.

The N55 BMW's are one of the most reliable out of all of them. I wouldnt have had this many if they weren't solid cars.

The E90/92 M3 is supposed to be pretty reliable as well but OP doesnt want RWD I guess.

killramos
02-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Just don’t buy an N54 based 35i and you will be fine as has been mentioned.

Mitsu3000gt
02-15-2019, 09:44 AM

N55 and up you're fine barring any really bad luck. Just like you don't buy a DSG B8 S4 before 2013. At least when buying used you have the luxury of knowing which years had more problems and which didn't - the harder part is finding a really good sample and one that isn't a lease back, because tons of these cars are leased.

rx7boi
02-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Just my personal opinion but I still think the Q50S is a strong contender even though OP said they're a big too big and a bit slower than he thought.

Judging by OP's responses, he wants reliability but honestly it seems like it's the bottom of the three criteria (AWD, Fast, reliability).

Mitsu3000gt
02-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Just my personal opinion but I still think the Q50S is a strong contender even though OP said they're a big too big and a bit slower than he thought.

Judging by OP's responses, he wants reliability but honestly it seems like it's the bottom of the three criteria (AWD, Fast, reliability).

Many Q400 Red Sports sold for just under $50K due to the massive discounts, which will presumably make them a bargain on the used market. Might still be too new though. I don't know why anyone would buy a Q50S when the Red Sports were the same price for so long. That would at least solve his "too slow" problem, but not if if they're too big.

scboss
02-17-2019, 03:21 AM
I used to be in a similar situation wanting a 4 door after owning a 350z. I went with a Lexus is350 and TBH most boring car I've ever owned. Then I hoped over to infinity and it felt like a heavy gutted Z.

I bought an evolution gsr for 19k and never looked back. If you can get over the shit interior (amazing seats) it's such a sick car. You can still get it in manual and it's mod hungry. I use to go through cars like crazy and I'm going on 3 years now. Only cars I would give this up for are 100k plus.

jaylo
02-17-2019, 08:26 AM
Like the OP, I have been to many situations where I wanted a sports sedan and what a lot of people saying here holds true. For $30K I would look into these vehicles.

A responsible adult should consider the logic of finding one under Extended Warranty, or save up and account for stupid amount of $$$ for brakes, tires, (consumable which are more expensive than your average Accord or VW), and maintenance.

2013+ Audi S4 or S5 DSG or 6MT with active/sport differential ($1500 option back then, included in the Technik package)
I have test driven this when I was cross-shopping this between 2013 BMW 335i.
My two friends own both transmission choices and the only issue arise was that annoying wheel bearing, which he was told is within the factory tolerance.

2013+ BMW 335i xDrive
Great vehicles. Reliable N55 (twin power turbo is single turbo). The F30 generation proves to be very reliable vs the old E90 N54 so most of the horror stories you hear in the Internet is from the old setup.
These vehicles are a blast especially on a small tune from RaceChip or Burger Tuning.

2011 Lexus ISF with new updated suspension and "mechanical" limited slip differential
These are fun to drive in straight line, reliable, but that's it. It is not a car you would toss into turns, there's something weird and heavy feeling about this vehicle in spirited driving. If you enjoy a lot of straight line driving, this is the car.

Runner-up:

Mercedes-Benz GLA45. Mercedes sometimes holds CPO at 0.5% like last month. With a 7 year warranty (factory plus extended), these are fairly a good value if you're worried about reliability. Canada-wide, I've seen some good ones around $35,36K without negotiating.

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport. They are closer to $40s but if you can swing it, test drive it and I think it has enough of what you need.

"No" for me:

Any STI. Way too pricey for what people is asking. Seems to be the Halo car of Alberta, everyone asking $5K-$10K beyond book value. In demand and always going to be expensive. Most are bagged.

Golf R. Too small, does not look like a sports sedan or a sports vehicle. Tiny. Many girls drive it.

Civic Type R. Top performance but too ricey for a 40 year old.

civicHB
03-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Bumping this up - what are the opinions on the 2015 C400? especially the reliability part. I've looked at some youtube videos and the performance should be ok. The C300 is a bore, but the C400 might just be enough.

370Z
03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
I believe what's been said is that the C400 sucks too in terms of driving dynamics and isn't much cheaper than a C43.

I took my Z off the market. Im waiting until I'm 40 in a year and half to revisit this. Good luck in your own search :D

hurrdurr
03-27-2019, 04:52 PM
I believe what's been said is that the C400 sucks too in terms of driving dynamics and isn't much cheaper than a C43.

I took my Z off the market. Im waiting until I'm 40 in a year and half to revisit this. Good luck in your own search :D

I quite enjoy driving my C400 daily. $25,000 less than most used C43 on the market too :dunno:

370Z
03-29-2019, 08:15 PM
I quite enjoy driving my C400 daily. $25,000 less than most used C43 on the market too :dunno:

Sorry, I think they were actually talking C450 vs C43....hmmm, I just read a couple reviews of the C400, seems like a decent car!

Kloubek
03-29-2019, 08:39 PM
So if the q50 was too big, I imagine the m56x would be far too big? I never felt like my m37 was too big (personal preference) and the m56 goes like snot.

heavyD
03-30-2019, 01:09 PM
What year is that? Because that's an anomaly as far as I'm concerned. I've had 4 N55 BMW's (2011 and up) and I only had a oil filter gasket replaced out of all of them.

The N55 BMW's are one of the most reliable out of all of them. I wouldnt have had this many if they weren't solid cars.

The E90/92 M3 is supposed to be pretty reliable as well but OP doesnt want RWD I guess.

The N55 couldn't be any more reliable if it was made by Toyota. Easily one of the the best overall high volume engines from any manufacturer over the last decade.