PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to setup VLAN's?

cyra1ax
02-17-2019, 12:21 AM
I think there's some networking guru's on here so here goes...
Getting set up with Telus fibre since Shaw's internet shit the bed one too many times for my liking. Realized I needed to get some new equipment to handle gigabit so I bought an Edgerouter Lite since apparently it's the faster one when compared to the Edgerouter X. Plan is for the router to feed a 24 port unmanaged switch via a single Cat6 connection and I'm thinking it's going to be pretty easy to saturate that connection between the router and the switch. Can I just plug in another ethernet cable from eth2 to the switch where eth2 is set to the 192.168.2.x range and it'll just work or would I need to set up VLAN's to make things work?

Also starting to think that Edgerouter Lite might not be the correct unit for me, might need something like Edgerouter 5 or X?

All my networking experience so far has been with the consumer grade stuff so this prosumer stuff is kinda new to me.

adam c
02-17-2019, 12:54 AM
No VLANs without a managed switch

You need to be able to tag ports with the VLAN's you want for the specific equipment that is plugged into it

If you're worried about saturation, VLAN's won't help you

eblend
02-17-2019, 02:42 AM
Unless you are getting gigabit internet through telus you will not saturate the single gig cable between router and switch. That link will only carry internet traffic, anything plugged into the 24 port switch will stay within that switch on a single vlan, only when those devices need access outside of that vlan (I.e. Internet) will they ever go to the router and traverse your single gig link.

Basically you got nothing to worry about. Vlan is not what you would be looking for anyways, you are thinking of link aggregation.

pheoxs
02-17-2019, 09:30 AM
As others have said vlan is not what you’d want. That would be if you want to set a few physical ports to act as a different network, such as a place guests can plug in but wouldn’t be able to reach the rest of your network.

What you’d be looking for is port channeling (Cisco term, your router might be might be different). But for port channeling you need to enable it on both ends so I’m almost certain the Telus router won’t support it, but I’ve never seen their gigabit equipment so maybe.

cyra1ax
02-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys!
Networking is an area I'm admittedly weak on so I'm loving learning lots. Sounds like link aggregation is what I'm thinking of but I won't actually need. Didn't know that the switch despite being unmanaged actually routed local traffic so that relieves alot of my concerns. I thought all traffic(local and external) went through the router which is why I was concerned about having enough bandwidth.

Pheoxs: Going to be bridging the telus router in favour of Ubiquiti Edgerouter.

Follow up question: If I were to plug in my plex/torrent box to eth2 where eth2 is set up with a 192.168.2.x IP range, sounds like traffic between .1.x and .2.x would be sent through the router? I'm also guessing I can set up a VPN on the router specific for eth2 and traffic connected via eth1 won't be affected?

suntan
02-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Why do you think you need a segregated network? It's utterly pointless for your use case.

eblend
02-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Follow up question: If I were to plug in my plex/torrent box to eth2 where eth2 is set up with a 192.168.2.x IP range, sounds like traffic between .1.x and .2.x would be sent through the router? I'm also guessing I can set up a VPN on the router specific for eth2 and traffic connected via eth1 won't be affected?

A router is there to route traffic between different networks (subnets), if all your devices are one one network the routing function is not used if all they do is communicate with each other, but the moment it needs anything from a different subnet, the traffic goes to your default gateway, which is your router.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with different subnets here, 1.x and 2.x would be two different subnets and in order for traffic to flow from one to the other they would have to traverse a router. I don't know anything about the equipment you are using but standard telus router would have just one subnet to work with. Sounds like you are trying to create multiple subnets for some reason, usually one does this on a firewall type device and then create rules to say such traffic can flow from this sunset to this subnet etc, but really not sure what you are trying to accomplish. Most home users don't need anything more than what telus already gave you.

Xtrema
02-17-2019, 10:35 PM
Is this for home or business? Why multiple VLANs?

The 1st thing of out a modem is a firewall/gateway to protect you home network. A simple router won't do that.

I can see some reason for VLANs (I have 3, guest/personal/cameras. They all have access to internet but they are not discoverable from each other).

If you can make your home network as secured and complicated as you want but you better be smart enough to troubleshoot it when something goes wrong. KISS principle applies, don't overdesign it.

suntan
02-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Is this for home or business? Why multiple VLANs?

The 1st thing of out a modem is a firewall/gateway to protect you home network. A simple router won't do that.

I can see some reason for VLANs (I have 3, guest/personal/cameras. They all have access to internet but they are not discoverable from each other).

If you can make your home network as secured and complicated as you want but you better be smart enough to troubleshoot it when something goes wrong. KISS principle applies, don't overdesign it.

So when you're at home, the only way you can see your cameras is via an external IP address?

Why?

Xtrema
02-19-2019, 09:54 AM
They are all cloud based. So the feed from the cloud and back into my Google Home devices.

Also these are not internal facing cameras.

I used to have non-cloud based one where I just open port 443/80 or which ever the camera is streaming into internal recording server. I don't trust their firmware enough to let them have full reign of my internal network.