PDA

View Full Version : anyone use one of the small work vans for mountain biking? (transit/promaster)

Buster
02-17-2019, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a vehicle for mountain biking. Truck is the default choice, but I don't really need a truck most of the time, and trucks aren't the best for securing expensive bikes. Something like a promaster city looks great - roll the bikes on, and they are secure. No removing vehicles, etc.

Here's a guy putting a dirt bike in the back of one. Should fit a mountain bike no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXC5_JfMUMA

ExtraSlow
02-17-2019, 05:55 PM
Mercedes or gtfo. Metris.

Buster
02-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Ya, hadn't really considered a metris. But Lone Star has one for $24k...lol

https://www.mercedes-benz-lonestarcalgary.ca/inventory/used/2016-mercedes-benz-metris-passenger-van-calgary-alberta/16472016

danno
02-17-2019, 07:44 PM
I use a sprinter van with the high roof for work. I wouldn’t consider a low roof version, there is so many benefits to the high one. That’s how I would go, I plan to get into mountain biking when the kids are old enough.

Xtrema
02-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Ya, hadn't really considered a metris. But Lone Star has one for $24k...lol

https://www.mercedes-benz-lonestarcalgary.ca/inventory/used/2016-mercedes-benz-metris-passenger-van-calgary-alberta/16472016

Pretty sure that's the service shuttle.

Buster
02-17-2019, 10:08 PM
Pretty sure that's the service shuttle.

was actually a trade-in

bourge73
02-18-2019, 06:33 AM
was actually a trade-in

I vote buy ;)

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 08:54 AM
I use a sprinter van with the high roof for work. I wouldn’t consider a low roof version, there is so many benefits to the high one. That’s how I would go, I plan to get into mountain biking when the kids are old enough.

Isn't he looking at the "mini" euro-vans anyway? So that's way smaller than sprinter low-roof. The transit connect, Promaster city etc.

Buster
02-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Ya, I dont really want one of the big ones (Promaster, Transit, Sprinter).

Unfortunately, in North American we don't get the mid-size ones like the Transit Custom.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 09:31 AM
real studs use a grand caravan......

bourge73
02-18-2019, 10:06 AM
real studs use a grand caravan......

You don’t have one do you ?

ShermanEF9
02-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Do not even consider the promaster city. We have them in our fleet at work. They are absolute garbage. Half of them have had transmission issues or replacements before hitting 15k, they don't make heat when the temp gets below -25, and they are not all that comfortable to drive for long periods.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 10:47 AM
You don’t have one do you ?
I'm not studly enough.

revelations
02-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Ya, I dont really want one of the big ones (Promaster, Transit, Sprinter).

Unfortunately, in North American we don't get the mid-size ones like the Transit Custom.

What about the Transit Connect?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2013-ford-transit-connect-xlt-minivan-van/1415701464?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

ercchry
02-19-2019, 04:50 AM
Taco with a canopy... enough ground clearance so you can shuttle up as well. Toyota reliability, and no Chrysler product is a win

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Taco with a canopy... enough ground clearance so you can shuttle up as well. Toyota reliability, and no Chrysler product is a win

There's waaaaaaaay less space in a truck with a canopy compared to these vans. Especially a compact truck like a taco.

ercchry
02-19-2019, 11:52 AM
There's waaaaaaaay less space in a truck with a canopy compared to these vans. Especially a compact truck like a taco.

Still enough space for bicycles... especially with a high top canopy

vengie
02-19-2019, 12:39 PM
What about the Transit Connect?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2013-ford-transit-connect-xlt-minivan-van/1415701464?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I vote this + a lift/ tires :rofl:

HiTempguy1
02-19-2019, 05:17 PM
They are all terrible from a reliability standpoint.

If I had to do one, the Dodge with the standard v6 and 9 speed would be my choice. But honest to Christ, Dodge's reliability is so poor its not even funny. They are piles of garbage. And anything european is MB or Fiat related... with Fiat being the worst brand for reliability in NA, and until the past 5 years, MB was no ball of fire.

I'd get a short wheelbase GM Savana/Express before anything else. Will be dead reliable. If you have no need for power, get one with a V6.

All of these vans except for the diesel ones get awful mpg, and even then, the diesel mpg isn't that great and also suffer tons of issues.

Sugarphreak
02-20-2019, 01:28 AM

Rocket1k78
02-20-2019, 03:16 PM
Trailers are nice and handy but pulling one around gets old fast and you have to have somewhere to park it.
I was going to suggest a simple bike rack but i dont blame you at all with the cost of these bikes now, shits insane cost wise

Kjonus
02-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Remember the time when you wouldn't be caught dead buying a minivan....lol

All jokes aside if you can afford to drop $25,000 grand on vehicle which is just meant to haul a mountain bike around I'd say screw that and buy a new bike when it gets stolen off your $400 bike rack which is attached to your current vehicle.

tonytiger55
02-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Old Honda Element..? :dunno:

ShermanEF9
02-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Remember the time when you wouldn't be caught dead buying a minivan....lol

All jokes aside if you can afford to drop $25,000 grand on vehicle which is just meant to haul a mountain bike around I'd say screw that and buy a new bike when it gets stolen off your $400 bike rack which is attached to your current vehicle.

I have to agree. My bike won't leave my sight if its not at home or somewhere i can be absolutely sure is safe. Roadtrip to go riding? you bet your ass its in the hotel room with me.

Also those vans aren't cheap. Sticker for my work van which is so basic it doesn't even have cruise is 30k.

prae
02-20-2019, 11:18 PM
I'm biased, but pickup and a the biggest chain princess auto sells locked to the frame of the vehicle works just fine for me, or as a previous poster suggested, buy a bike rack.

You're overcomplicating this.

Sugarphreak
02-21-2019, 12:41 AM

Buster
02-21-2019, 12:56 AM
That's the way I've always done it... But the new bike is a lot more expensive.

Plus I will be doing a lot more runs out to the mountains to ride with the kids. So it's a bit more multi purpose.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 08:12 AM
That's the way I've always done it... But the new bike is a lot more expensive.

Plus I will be doing a lot more runs out to the mountains to ride with the kids. So it's a bit more multi purpose.

A lot of these smaller vans don't have a second row of seats, or if they do, you can't fit a bike behind them.

Buster
02-21-2019, 08:38 AM
A lot of these smaller vans don't have a second row of seats, or if they do, you can't fit a bike behind them.

Promaster City and Transit both do, if you choose that option. They flip forward to create a pretty big space. If I had to take the kids somewhere, I'd probably use my northshore rack, and then put dismantle my bike for the back. But for normal stuff, I would leave it max cargo, and fit 2-3 bikes back there.

dirtsniffer
02-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Pro tip. Bikes in the back - kids on the rack.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 08:58 AM
Something like a promaster city looks great - roll the bikes on, and they are secure. No removing vehicles, etc. Here's a guy putting a dirt bike in the back of one. Should fit a mountain bike no problem. The guy in that video had a lot of problems fitting that small dirt bike in. I think there's no way you'd be able to "roll on" several mountain bikes.

Promaster City and Transit both do, if you choose that option. They flip forward to create a pretty big space. If I had to take the kids somewhere, I'd probably use my northshore rack, and then put dismantle my bike for the back. But for normal stuff, I would leave it max cargo, and fit 2-3 bikes back there.
So you'd need the bikes on the rack for the drive so the kids could fit, or take the bikes apart to fit inside. and then if you needed to leave the vehicles and bikes for a while, you could flip the seats forward and the bikes would fit without taking them apart? Gotcha. But then again, if you are willing to take the bikes apart a couple times per trip, then that opens up a lot more options. I thought you wanted to be able to roll them in and out standing up.

At first I thought this was a cool idea, but the more I think of it, the more I think that these vans are going to be suboptimal for every single one of your requirements. A full-size work van would be good. Just get a real sprinter or transit and you'd be all set. Fit four people and four bikes standing up in the back. Boom.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
And if you aren't scared of looking like a tradesman, I think a real truck with a commercial cap would be more comfortable to drive, more comfortable for your passengers, better on rough roads getting to the trails, and probably have lower depreciation too. Plus you could look very cool:

Buster
02-21-2019, 09:18 AM
What's the benefit of those style caps. Security?

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 10:03 AM
No windows, so people won't look in an see your expensive bike. Although, they may assume you have expensive tools, so maybe that's no better.

In the end, there's no such thing as security in a vehicle. Everything can be broken into, and it will eventually. Best security is a shitty vehicle with no visible valuables.
This type of truck basically screams "I've got some toys in here!"

Buster
02-21-2019, 10:25 AM
nobody looks at a Promaster City and thinks "this thing is worth breaking into"

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Unless they assume it's a tradesman with his tools. Tools are very popular to steal because they are so easy to sell.

Buster
02-21-2019, 11:04 AM
Old Honda Element..? :dunno:

This is actually the best solution. I was just hoping for something newer. I'm essentially looking for a more modern version of this.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Just embrace the awesome and do this bro:

Kjonus
02-21-2019, 06:43 PM
If that's an option go with a larger SUV and this set up. That's how I carry my fat tire bikes out to the mountains in the winter time cause I don't want them to get cover in winter road grim. What you're talking about is great but really IMO you're over thinking it. In my many years of mountain biking you don't see many set ups to your original plan. I've driven down to Moab a few times now and camped along the way and the bikes were on a rack the whole way while driving and locked to the tree overnight or in the rental house with with me.

Sugarphreak
02-21-2019, 11:16 PM

R-Audi
02-22-2019, 09:53 AM
/thread

http://www.kulumotorcar.com/car-detail.asp?id=1605

danno
02-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Nice that’s what I was thinking. A camping bike hauler, not to that extreme but basically what I would do if I had a big budget.

muse017
02-22-2019, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-gG4GnRfs

go big or go home~

snowcat
02-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Hahaha, I almost pulled the trigger and got a low roof, short 4x4 sprinter as my daily. The new ones that are out as of last summer can have the MBUX car interiors. Would love bombing around that and parking beside “normal cars”. Vans are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

/thread

Built in Red Deer, that shop makes the best of the best for sprinters!

Darell_n
02-23-2019, 12:36 PM
Hahaha, I almost pulled the trigger and got a low roof, short 4x4 sprinter as my daily. The new ones that are out as of last summer can have the MBUX car interiors. Would love bombing around that and parking beside “normal cars”. Vans are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Built in Red Deer, that shop makes the best of the best for sprinters!

Cost to build was more than I bought my house for. Hard pass on that.

ShermanEF9
02-23-2019, 01:27 PM
neat, but not 200k neat.

ExtraSlow
02-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Vans are awesome
Holy shit I agree with snowcat about something.

schurchill39
02-23-2019, 05:49 PM
birdman86 is a pretty big mountain biker from what I remember and he "built" a van.

ShermanEF9
02-24-2019, 10:47 AM

You'll barely fit 3 bikes in one of these even without seats, then you're taking two vehicles somewhere anyways because you can only fit 2 people in the van.

zipdoa
02-24-2019, 05:02 PM
/thread

I think the Winnebago Revel does it a lot better for that price:
https://m.winnebagoind.com/products/class-b/2018/revel/overview

Kjonus
03-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Check this sweet set up out https://www.instagram.com/p/BuZqVJygFai/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

birdman86
03-02-2019, 10:59 PM
birdman86 is a pretty big mountain biker from what I remember and he "built" a van.

Sadly ended up selling it about a year ago (new job took over my life), but it was wicked while I had it. Didn't have to plan out camp sites etc so I'd just hit the road straight from work on Fridays, I think those summers I was in a different town every weekend in Jun-Aug.

First summer had this setup, no insulation or anything but as long as you put reflectix in the windows and tried parking in the shade it never got uncomfortable on >30 days (although I wasn't in the van during the day). Just slept at truck stops/rest stops:
https://i.imgur.com/VqEXqP2.jpg

Second summer it turned into this, no pics of it in use but was a total game changer having actual organization for everything and a 12v fridge, and the twin mattress was way better than the air mattress I used in year 1:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS-GE9RgLOrPuBu-4RnNm-Y8R_281fG63b1nl80/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIUBtZXjXEI/