PDA

View Full Version : Aviva is refusing to allow collision on any car over 500hp (split)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buster
02-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Finally replaced my second XF with...

Another XF. But this one is a little special. So powerful, in fact, that my insurance company is refusing to insure it.

Why won't they insure it?

ExtraSlow
02-17-2019, 11:17 AM
what did Touchstone say? Also, sick car.

03ozwhip
02-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Thx. Sorry... It's not -that- special. Its the "R" model, which besides other upgrades also comes stock with 510hp.

Figured it was an XFR with mods. Wierd that they wont insure it.

Kloubek
02-17-2019, 12:58 PM
They're refusing to insure (what I'm guessing is) an XFR? :confused:

Yeah. Weird eh? As of April, Aviva is refusing to allow collision on any car over 500hp. I could insure it with basic, but thats out of the question so I gotta switch companies. I work with a broker so I feel I can get a deal elsewhere. Since Aviva tried insisting on paying me out for a regular xf when my last supercharged model got written off, I was considering moving anyway.

I'm on the fence about modding it. 510 seems sufficient with a 0-60 of 4.3, but it goes up to <redacted> Ninja edit on the tuned power. 635 was a claim proven to be false. 60hp more is the best I can expect and even that is optimistic. I'll likely keep it stock.

ganesh
02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Yeah. Weird eh? As of April, Aviva is refusing to allow collision on any car over 500hp. I could insure it with basic, but thats out of the question so I gotta switch companies. I work with a broker so I feel I can get a deal elsewhere. Since Aviva tried insisting on paying me out for a regular xf when my last supercharged model got written off, I was considering moving anyway.

I'm on the fence about modding it. 510 seems sufficient with a 0-60 of 4.3, but it goes up to 635 with a tune and pulley. Drool.
Do you a document stating that any vehicle over 500 hp won't be insured via Aviva?

killramos
02-17-2019, 02:38 PM
500 hp really isn’t that hard to come by these days. Odd business decision.

Kloubek
02-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Do you a document stating that any vehicle over 500 hp won't be insured via Aviva?

No, I cant find anything online about it. But according to the broker, that is their rule come April.

ganesh
02-17-2019, 03:11 PM
No, I cant find anything online about it. But according to the broker, that is their rule come April.
If I were you I will be asking the broker to provide that.

bjstare
02-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Yeah, honestly I would have my doubts about that. Sounds ridiculous.

Nice car.

Mitsu3000gt
02-17-2019, 03:36 PM
500 HP is not uncommon at all these days (in the grand scheme of things), I would be very surprised to hear that a major insurance carrier won't even insure them. Even a 10 year old POS CTS-V had over 500HP. If it turns out to be true (via an actual notice from the insurance company), maybe start looking for some other quotes - shoot MaskedBandit a PM.

Sentry
02-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Very odd of that insurance company. You'd think they would look at it from a pure numbers perspective, and if they did they would see more people crash in 100hp cars than 500hp cars. I see way more Hyundai Accents and Kia Rios in the ditch than supercharged jags.

ThePenIsMightier
02-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Very odd of that insurance company. You'd think they would look at it from a pure numbers perspective, and if they did they would see more people crash in 100hp cars than 500hp cars. I see way more Hyundai Accents and Kia Rios in the ditch than supercharged jags.

Like a lot of pricing in Canada, they determine that you have money and that you will pay so they adjust their prices accordingly. It would be "un Canadian" to complain.

Masked Bandit
02-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Aviva isn't the only company pulling this stunt, Economical has implemented an underwriting rule with similar limits (can't recall if it's 500 HP or 650 HP). I've got a guy with a Demon that I'll have to move next month. Hear me now, believe me later...auto insurance in Alberta is going to get a lot worse in the next three years.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Like a lot of pricing in Canada, they determine that you have money and that you will pay so they adjust their prices accordingly. It would be "un Canadian" to complain.

"price optimization" is a real thing. Look it up and get angry.

dirtsniffer
02-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Anything we should be doing now to help minimize it? Can I get a 2 year rate freeze?

I've heard the biggest thing for auto is avoid getting tickets because of companies increasing rates for any demerits by up to 50%

Sugarphreak
02-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Buster
02-18-2019, 11:35 AM
This reminds me of when I first came to Alberta and half the insurance places wouldn't insure me because I was under 25

The government will need to step in and lay down the law for this. Road legal vehicles deemed safe by the province and sold here should qualify for insurance. It might be 500hp today, but if you let them trim out cars like this it might be RWD tomorrow, and then sports cars in general after that.

If the government is going to mandate we must have insurance, then they are also obligated to curb this kind of selective insurance right away. They also need to cap pricing, just like they did with under 25 drivers.

I suspect that insurance companies started with 500hp to test the water... easy to get public opinion with "why do people need cars with 500+ hp".

Yes, because gov't mandated price controls always work out well.

spikerS
02-18-2019, 11:37 AM
There is another guy i know in a FB group complaining about Aviva. Apparently been with them for years, and now they are demanding yearly premiums in 1 lump sum, and not allowing anyone to do monthly payments anymore. Seems like Aviva is trying to thin the herd...

Masked Bandit
02-18-2019, 12:56 PM
The problem at the moment is that the personal injury stuff on the claims side has gotten out of hand again, just like it was pre-2004. Way back then it wasn't uncommon to see a claim come through with $2,000 - $3,000 in vehicle damage but then the injury payout would be North of $50,000. In 2004 the provincial government amended the Insurance Act to A) bring in the GRID program and B) cap soft tissue injury payouts @ $4K for pain & suffering (minor whiplash essentially). We had stability in the marked for a LONG time and TBH I'm surprised it took the lawyers this long to find a way around the cap. Over the last few years we've seen a return to the $2,000 - $3,000 vehicle damage claims with injury money going well over $50,000 again. How does it happen you ask? Well nobody has whiplash anymore, they all have concussion / TMJ symptoms which are not addressed by the wording on the cap, so all bets are off. The NDP has come out and said to the industry that they aren't going to change anything on their end so we need a change in government and a public appetite to reign in the lawyers again. That kind of shit takes time so that's why my guess is at least 3 - 5 years of complete shit on the auto side of the insurance industry in Alberta. Big rate increases and restricted coverage will be the order of the day until the bullshit injury payouts are addressed.

Tik-Tok
02-18-2019, 01:03 PM
I don't understand the "hp limit" though. A 150hp car can still cause $50g in injuries, and there's a lot more of them out there.

Masked Bandit
02-18-2019, 01:09 PM
I don't understand the "hp limit" though. A 150hp car can still cause $50g in injuries, and there's a lot more of them out there.

Ya, I don't get that one either especially because it's not broke ass kids that own & drive high HP (factory) cars. The guy I have to work on has three homes, six vehicles (including his work stuff) and commercial liability coverage. He pays big money for his policies and hasn't had a claim in years. Now I'm going to look into moving the entire portfolio just to prove a point.

A790
02-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Now I'm going to look into moving the entire portfolio just to prove a point.

All you can do is vote and vote with your $$$.

M.alex
02-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Are you sure they're just not targeting people they want off the books? They havn't sent me anything this year.

90_Shelby
02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

I'm on the fence about modding it. 510 seems sufficient with a 0-60 of 4.3, but it goes up to <redacted> Ninja edit on the tuned power. 635 was a claim proven to be false. 60hp more is the best I can expect and even that is optimistic. I'll likely keep it stock.

There is also an XF RS as well? I think they have a bit more power? I had a run in with one last summer, I don't think he was happy with the results.

Sugarphreak
02-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Tik-Tok
02-18-2019, 03:55 PM
The ideal system is where you insure the driver, not the car.

88CRX
02-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Aviva jacked my fiancé’s rates by 100% this past renewal with no tickets or claims in over 3 years. Never had an accident and is driving a high HP Honda Fit.

Switched to TD MM for half the price.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 04:05 PM
And TD will jack the rates on them withing a few years and you'll need to switch back. Switching is a way of life if you want a deal.

max_boost
02-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Baller problems for sure

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Baller problems for sure

I think my three vehicles together might not have 500hp, lol, and my odyssey is 250 or something.

roopi
02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
And TD will jack the rates on them withing a few years and you'll need to switch back. Switching is a way of life if you want a deal.

Yep this is exactly what you need to do. Just keep switching

Buster
02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
The government mandates you must have insurance, if it was a free market where you could drive without insurance then it wouldn't matter.

If the government mandated you to buy bread from "Bob's Bread Factory" , and then Bob raised all his prices 300 percent and refused to sell to women, then obviously the government has some sort of responsibility there.

To me the ideal system is a base mandatory insurance provided by the government which everyone can get; in addition to an option to use private companies with whatever rules they want. That would control the market, but also keep both private and public pricing in check

You can't wish (or legislate) away the realities of mathematics and economics.

Market forces are still the best way to optimize prices.

Also: the government doesn't mandate you to get insurance. Driving is a privilege, not a right. And the government does not force you to buy a car and insure it.

ShermanEF9
02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
I left Aviva because they've pulled all sorts of ridiculous stunts on us. They are a pretty terrible company to deal with these days it seems.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
The government already controls price for the only mandatory insurance.

revelations
02-18-2019, 07:27 PM
Time to start considering gender changes. If the insurance corps are that dense, they should realize that I can always identify as a woman (or whatever LQBTQRS4x4) and thus high insurance rates are a form of discrimination.... and they might offer lower insurance.

spikerS
02-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Time to start considering gender changes. If the insurance corps are that dense, they should realize that I can always identify as a woman (or whatever LQBTQRS4x4) and thus high insurance rates are a form of discrimination.... and they might offer lower insurance.

Or raise premiums for females to match males.

Misterman
02-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Yes, because gov't mandated price controls always work out well.

I'm not a fan of government intervention in most cases, but their one job in a free market is to ensure the little guy doesn't get railroaded by large corporations that feel the need to do whatever they please to squeeze every cent they can out of customers. So what is the options on this? Something really does need to be done about Insurance companies in Alberta. I don't know what the answer is, but leaving them to their own devices clearly isn't working when we pay some of the highest rates in Canada and the companies are making billions in profits.

Zhariak
02-19-2019, 08:34 AM
You know, it's weird I'm hearing about more and more people have issues with their insurance companies in the last little while.

I was with Intact, and I received my yearly renewal papers and they increased my yearly fees by almost $2,000 out of nowhere. I've been with them since I was 18 (now 32), no accidents, and only have 2 minor convictions on my record. My broker wouldn't do anything (originally told me to call her back in 2 months, because she "can't quote until a month before renewal", and she could figure something out). 4 calls and 2 e-mails to my broker went unanswered after 2 weeks, so I reached out to another broker. I still had to deal with an increase, but it was just under $1,000 increase. I'm now with wawanesa (or however it's spelled).

On the first call to my original broker, she gave me some long winded story about how insurance companies/brokers aren't making money anymore, government will probably be doing government insurance soon and getting rid of private, etc... While I think the majority of what she said was BS, I'm wondering if there has recently been some changes to how drivers are rated, or how companies are evaluating risk. When calling to cancel, I had to call multiple times, and finally call the switchboard to tell them I want to cancel, but I'm not getting a call back. Finally got a call back, and I was told they couldn't find anything lower and that's why she didn't get back to me (again, not sure if this is BS or true).

EDIT/ADD: Always have been, and still at GRID level: -015

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Any broker that won't call back within one business day should be your ex-broker. That's pretty poor.

Buster
02-19-2019, 09:14 AM
I'm not a fan of government intervention in most cases, but their one job in a free market is to ensure the little guy doesn't get railroaded by large corporations that feel the need to do whatever they please to squeeze every cent they can out of customers. So what is the options on this? Something really does need to be done about Insurance companies in Alberta. I don't know what the answer is, but leaving them to their own devices clearly isn't working when we pay some of the highest rates in Canada and the companies are making billions in profits.

That's not their "one job" at all.

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 09:17 AM

Not even top five.

94boosted
02-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Similar story with Economical for myself just recently, 9% increase on home and a 31% increase on auto with no at-fault claims, also switched, home still ended up going slightly but auto stayed the same. Sadly this is the third time in three years I've had to change insurance providers because of this kind of crap.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Any broker that won't call back within one business day should be your ex-broker. That's pretty poor.

This. My broker is fantastic.

colinxx235
02-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Yah Intact had me go up I think 9%, 12% and then 15% in the last 3 years for Auto/Home with zero claim/tickets on my file. Darren moved me to Pembridge which cut ~15-16% back off. I wasn't please that they were bumping up my rates non stop without a single issue. I could see the next few years is going to be hopping end of ever year to shop the best rates, which is a bit of a pain...

Buster
02-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Insurance isn't priced based on your individual expected payout cost. It's based on the insurance company's expected payout cost for an entire pool of the population. (Then they make adjustments based on some correlations with your demographic). So to say that you "did not have a single issue" is not accurate. You are choosing to include yourself in a pool of people with a predicted payout that is expected to increase.

As Masked Bandit has said, the lawyers are at the buffet gorging themselves at the rib roast station. So the cost of your buffet is going up to account for that. At some point the cost of the insurance will exceed the value it represents to you in terms of your OWN expected payout. At which point your would not pay that insurance and you would drive a cheaper car or self-insure the collision component. I suspect we are still not close to that point.

mr2mike
02-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Switched to TD MM for half the price.
Opposite day? Never heard anyone say this before.

88CRX
02-19-2019, 10:19 AM
So to say that you "did not have a single issue" is not accurate. You are choosing to include yourself in a pool of people with a predicted payout that is expected to increase.

You got us on a technicality... do you work in insurance?

When people state they have no tickets, claims or accidents it usually mean they personally have nothing on their file.

I was shocked. But her old broker basically said similar stuff to what Zhariak posted about. These are your new rates and there is nothing we can do about it, take it or leave it.

Called TD and they gave us the quote lower then last years premiums (before the doubled price jack). TD's rate gets lumped in with mine for multi-product and multi-vehicle discounts which helps obviously but its legitimately half the price.

Buster
02-19-2019, 10:26 AM
You got us on a technicality... do you work in insurance?

When people state they have no tickets, claims or accidents it usually mean they personally have nothing on their file.

I definitely do not. But this is how insurance works on a fundamental level. It's not a technicality. It's the actual thing.

sabad66
02-19-2019, 10:46 AM

this is the case with me as well. I tried on at least two occasions to switch away from TD MM (including with Touchstone) and could just not get better rates based on my needs/situation.

P_D
02-19-2019, 11:01 AM
And here i am at Wawanesa with only decreases over the last 10+ years

killramos
02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
I always enjoy the threads where every single insurance provider under the sun is terrible. Yet TD has always been great for me.

But TD is definitely Satan.

I feel like insurance is all shades of the same. I have never had issues with my rates from TD.

Swank
02-19-2019, 11:29 AM
I've been with TD for probably 20 years now, zero issues, though I came from Cooperators and they set the bar mighty low.

HiTempguy1
02-19-2019, 11:29 AM
The ideal system is where you insure the driver, not the car.

This is certainly the problem and insurance should be switched to this model.

Misterman
02-19-2019, 12:48 PM

You're welcome to your opinion. Not going to have a subjective argument about what the governments job is based on our own personal opinions. Nice dodge though.

Misterman
02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
I've been with TD for probably 20 years now, zero issues, though I came from Cooperators and they set the bar mighty low.

And go figure. Co-operators is bar none the best insurance provider available if you were to ask me. Sounds like everyone has different values when it comes to what makes insurance companies good or bad.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Thinking I might switch back to TD from Intact soon.

Darell_n
02-19-2019, 08:10 PM
And here i am at Wawanesa with only decreases over the last 10+ years

I haven’t had any significant increases or issues with them either.

lilmira
02-19-2019, 09:39 PM
I’ll have to talk to Darren at touchstone soon. Intact is raising mine by 16%, >600. That’s a lot of food.

A790
02-19-2019, 10:05 PM
I’ll have to talk to Darren at touchstone soon. Intact is raising mine by 16%, >600. That’s a lot of food.

Yea, this thread has got me thinking. At this point I just pay our insurance bill without really diving into it. Paying just under $4k/yr for 1 car (comprehensive) and the house. Wondering if that's a bit high.

adam c
02-19-2019, 10:19 PM
Yea, this thread has got me thinking. At this point I just pay our insurance bill without really diving into it. Paying just under $4k/yr for 1 car (comprehensive) and the house. Wondering if that's a bit high.

House + 2 cars with full coverage is 4300 for us

killramos
02-19-2019, 10:30 PM
I’m 6 even for 4 cars + the house with extra coverage for valuables etc. (The 4 cars with gap coverage on 2 of them is the main problem ). Wife has a few tickets too.

4+ for house plus 1 car seems high for sure unless it seems one hell of a house and a ridiculous car.

lilmira
02-19-2019, 10:31 PM
Same here, house and two cars with full coverage. I was paying just over 4100 and my renewal is at 4800. No ticket no claim and I'm sure neither of my cars has 500hp. Actually I'm happy to pay the new price if they can upgrade my cars to 500hp.

A790
02-19-2019, 10:42 PM
So I whipped out the policy.

$4,082 for the house (duplex), car ('16 Audi A3, stock), and the bike ('06 FZ6). DId some online quotes that came in around $500/yr cheaper. I'm not going to move my relationship from Touchstone over $500 but I am now going to be checking annually to see if I'm getting hosed.

Tik-Tok
02-19-2019, 10:43 PM

That seems high to me, but obviously it depends on your vehicle, house, and coverage.

2 cars with $500 deductibles, 1 truck with plpd, and house insurance, we pay $3600 annually with Intact

16hypen3sp
02-19-2019, 10:55 PM
House: $1440 (Portage)
2 Cars & 1 truck $500 deductible full coverage including rideshare premium: $3012 (Intact. Actually dropped $300 this year.)
3 motorcycles full coverage: $1440 (Echelon)
Total insurance cost: $5892

I was with Aviva for a long time but swapped to Intact because they were way more friendly towards rideshare.

realazy
02-19-2019, 11:20 PM
House + 2 normal cars for $3451. Full coverage. Coesco (cooperators group insurance).

Sugarphreak
02-20-2019, 01:08 AM

Maxx Mazda
02-20-2019, 07:43 AM
So I whipped out the policy.

$4,082 for the house (duplex), car ('16 Audi A3, stock), and the bike ('06 FZ6). DId some online quotes that came in around $500/yr cheaper. I'm not going to move my relationship from Touchstone over $500 but I am now going to be checking annually to see if I'm getting hosed.

What do you mean you don’t want to “ruin your relationship “ with them? Insurance companies don’t give a flying fuck about loyalty. Go with whomever is cheapest.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Just reviewed my documentation last night, and Aviva is raising my rates by ~$400 for the year. That will likely go up even more, as one of the vehicles only has parking (comprehensive) insurance on it right now. I didn't even look at the home insurance, which is also through Aviva. My bike will likely remain with Intact, as I know that even if TD quotes me lower prices, they're notorious for having high motorcycle rates.

94boosted
02-20-2019, 09:24 AM
house + 3 cars and a trailer (one of the cars only has fire/theft coverage for winter) - $3980
- lowest possible deductibles
- additional protection for mysterious disappearance of valuables (home)
- full glass on all cars
- $2MM liability

A790
02-20-2019, 11:20 AM
What do you mean you don’t want to “ruin your relationship “ with them? Insurance companies don’t give a flying fuck about loyalty. Go with whomever is cheapest.

Touchstone is my broker, and they've been fucking fantastic to me over the years. Case and point: he saw my post and messaged me with other options at lower prices.

I don't want to ruin my relatinship with them. I couldn't care less about the insurance company.

Bill from Touchstone literally saved me $15,000 at one point. He deserves my loyalty.

ExtraSlow
02-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Bill from Touchstone literally saved me $15,000 at one point. He deserves my loyalty.
Bill has earned some loyalty from me as well. He made me $27,000 with some good advice. That's not to say I won't shop around, but I'm not going to jump ship from him for small dollars.

A790
02-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Bill has earned some loyalty from me as well. He made me $27,000 with some good advice. That's not to say I won't shop around, but I'm not going to jump ship from him for small dollars.

Kinda my point. He also got in touch to clarify that my premium is actually $150 lower than I thought AND that my coverage is better than what rates I was getting quoted for.

So yea, staying put. In Bill we trust.

blownz
02-21-2019, 11:42 AM
I think all of you Calgary guys should stop complaining so much and start thanking those of us in the rest of the province for keeping your increases to a minimum... :poosie: Last time I complained about my yearly increases being way over the rate of inflation I was told that it was thanks to the weather claims in Calgary and southern AB over the last several years (multiple hail storms, flood). More recently the FM fire has obviously had a major impact on everyone as well. Fortunately and unfortunately everyone in AB has to share in the pain. :(

For the record, I am paying $437/month (>$5200/yr) for an average house, 2 cars and an RV. It is brutal. A handful of years ago that was under $300/month. Shit like this actually makes me feel for retired people on a relatively fixed income. That is a major hit over the years.

Tik-Tok
02-21-2019, 11:56 AM
I should compare people in this thread complaining about increasing premiums, with the people who voted that I should do a personal injury lawsuit against the person who hit me in my insurance thread. :rofl:

Buster
02-21-2019, 12:25 PM
If you buy a car, you are forced through legislation to get insurance if you want to drive it on the road.

Given that it happens to be property that often smashes into other peoples property, it is reasonable to mandate insurance, and I don't have an issue with that.

What I do have an issue with is that they mandate it, and then they wash their hands. If there is going to be government interference, then there needs to also be government oversight. This has been proven a number of times, with insurance companies in particular, otherwise they just restrict who they insure to the people who make them money. If they are going to mandate the public to get insurance for their cars, it is the responsibility of the government also to ensure that the public has reasonable access to insurance options and also to ensure that companies are not profiteering thanks to that forced interference.

This isn't a free market condition. A true free market would allow you to drive without insurance. Actually if we were not mandated to get insurance, the price for insurance would be actually end up being crazy cheap. Personally if I was in charge, I'd do it this way. I don't think the government should have the right to mandate insurance... but then again I also don't think they have the right to putting taxes on assets such as property, among other things. A rant for another day; /SP the capitalist.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, when I first moved here insurance companies were in the middle of getting out of insuring people under 25. In addition to the 5000$ premium, I actually had one company drop me, and 3 others reject me just because of my age back then. This thing with the 500hp cars is just more of the same garbage. The provincial government will need to step in and ensure that people who buy a road legal car in the province can also get insurance for it.

But you're not forced to buy a car. When you buy a car, and drive it on the road you are participating in a contract which has your side committing to insurance. (We can have another lengthy discussion about the joys of entering a contact where one side has guns and prisons, but that's a different discussion).

But that doesn't change anything about the realities of economics and the underlying mathematics. "government oversight" in pricing is just another way of saying "price controls". We know quite well how price controls impact an economic system. It ain't good. People tend to not understand insurance - which makes them think that pricing controls are somehow more functional. They are not. You will always run into the unintended (but not unpredictable) outcomes of price controls: supply issues, a gravitation towards implementing a public system to solve that problem, a resultant shift of liability to the taxpayer, etc.

The solution to the problem of creating artificial demand is not to create artificial supply. Then you're just making a single problem into two problems.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 02:00 PM
You are also not legislated to buy anything more than PLPD, which has legislated maximum prices.

Tik-Tok
02-21-2019, 03:28 PM
You are also not legislated to buy anything more than PLPD, which has legislated maximum prices.

Stop talking facts here.

NewLextasy
02-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Damn, I pay 13k a year . 4 cars and 2 houses with no tickets or claims on file.

And the 500hp thing is BS, I haven’t owned a car with under 500hp in over 10 years.

killramos
02-21-2019, 07:20 PM

And the 500hp thing is BS, I haven’t owned a car with under 500hp in over 10 years.

The real man has spoken

ExtraSlow
02-21-2019, 07:43 PM

The real man has spoken Agree, that's how you do it. Geeze, what are the rest of your guys, all students or something?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Agree, that's how you do it. Geeze, what are the rest of your guys, all students or something?

Not all of us are lucky enough to drive Savage Honda Fits :cry:

Masked Bandit
02-22-2019, 06:20 AM
For the purpose of clarification, only one of our six companies (Economical) has implemented this 500 HP restriction thing. The OP in this thread indicated that Aviva is doing it as well but to my knowledge those are the only two in the market AT THIS POINT applying this restriction.

jaylo
02-22-2019, 12:23 PM
500 hp really isn’t that hard to come by these days. Odd business decision.

Just a theory...

Somewhere, sometime last summer, a summer student was asked to provide statistics and report, classified by claims and type, and failed to do proper math/statistics, presented during a strategy meeting, an upper manager believed it, and implemented it.

Botching statistics is fairly common. I have been handling data for over a decade one source of truth is usually harder to come by, and mostly done by low-cost employee like summer students. Everyone hates math, let alone stats and calculus.

OR

Another theory is maybe the avoidance of covering larger fleet vehicles (super duty trucks, commercial vans, semis, etc...) which had big payouts in AB.

Enthusiasts are not directly targeted, but do feel emotional that certain companies cannot fully cover their grocery-getter or exotic.

Just get coverage somewhere else.

Buster
02-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Just a theory...

Somewhere, sometime last summer, a summer student was asked to provide statistics and report, classified by claims and type, and failed to do proper math/statistics, presented during a strategy meeting, an upper manager believed it, and implemented it.

Botching statistics is fairly common. I have been handling data for over a decade one source of truth is usually harder to come by, and mostly done by low-cost employee like summer students. Everyone hates math, let alone stats and calculus.

OR

Another theory is maybe the avoidance of covering larger fleet vehicles (super duty trucks, commercial vans, semis, etc...) which had big payouts in AB.

Enthusiasts are not directly targeted, but do feel emotional that certain companies cannot fully cover their grocery-getter or exotic.

Insurance companies don't rely on summer students for these types of decisions.

They rely on an army of highly paid (and usually very high IQ) actuaries.

revelations
02-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Hey Bill,

Are going to see (more) of insurance companies becoming more specialized to certain clientèle?

(eg. AVIVA prefers old single people driving Buicks vs. WAWANESA who looks after students more, TDMM for p.eng, etc.)

It would make life easier for people to then focus on that corp for their needs.

killramos
02-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Just a theory...

OR

People actually use the work that Summer Students do? I have always considered them to basically be charity.

It’s honestly probably that aviva had one big payout for a 500+ Hp car or 2 last year

Mitsu3000gt
02-22-2019, 12:59 PM
People actually use the work that Summer Students do? I have always considered them to basically be charity.

It’s honestly probably that aviva had one big payout for a 500+ Hp car or 2 last year

It probably depends on the industry, but I did real work the entire time I was a summer student, to the point that my duties didn't significantly change by the time I was brought on as a full time employee. Same deal with my own summer students I've had since. It's not uncommon in my experience. Just dumping all the shit work onto them isn't good for their development IMHO.

jaylo
02-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Summer students are treated like an employee when brought in and have the same tasks and initiatives as a regular employee.

The only difference is the pay.

- - - Updated - - -

It probably depends on the industry, but I did real work the entire time I was a summer student, to the point that my duties didn't significantly change by the time I was brought on as a full time employee. Same deal with my own summer students I've had since. It's not uncommon in my experience. Just dumping all the shit work onto them isn't good for their development IMHO.

Big payout on a few exotics stood out as an outlier and probably pointed out by upper management, hence the ban.

- - - Updated - - -

If a student can do the same job, for way less money, it's plausible. Summer students are treated like an employee in most companies.

jaylo
02-22-2019, 03:43 PM

You're right. Decisions are made by the board of directors, then trickles down to the CEO, to VP, and so on.

Masked Bandit
02-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Hey Bill,

Are going to see (more) of insurance companies becoming more specialized to certain clientèle?

(eg. AVIVA prefers old single people driving Buicks vs. WAWANESA who looks after students more, TDMM for p.eng, etc.)

It would make life easier for people to then focus on that corp for their needs.

I wouldn't go that far just yet. Right now everyone (insurance companies) are running for cover because they're losing money hand over fist on auto insurance. If, and that's a big if, the next government can fix the injury lawyer problem things will go back to normal within 12-18 months after. Between now & then could be a complete shit show though.

Sugarphreak
02-22-2019, 05:34 PM

max_boost
02-22-2019, 05:41 PM
I'm with Aviva for my golf and they were the cheapest. In addition they are pleasant to deal with so far, no issues. Just finalized a deal on a IS300 AWD F-Sport and it's only half way to 500hp so I'm good haha

Perhaps I'm one of those old single guys they like to target?!

Sugarphreak
02-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Misterman
02-22-2019, 06:09 PM
I'm with Aviva for my golf and they were the cheapest. In addition they are pleasant to deal with so far, no issues. Just finalized a deal on a IS300 AWD F-Sport and it's only half way to 500hp so I'm good haha

Perhaps I'm one of those old single guys they like to target?!

RRracing makes a tune for them to get you the IS350 fuel maps and be over 300hp. Just sayin...................

max_boost
02-22-2019, 07:37 PM
haha ya I'm good tho. My modding days are long done and I don't care much for speed anymore.

I'm going back to my 2003 self where I drive a car that looks baller and fast but is neither haha :bigpimp:

max_boost budget baller is back! haha

spikerS
02-22-2019, 09:20 PM
haha ya I'm good tho. My modding days are long done and I don't care much for speed anymore.

Truth. I haven't modded any of my last 4 vehicles for performance gains. I have done cosmetic work, but everything else is bone stock.

M.alex
02-26-2019, 01:55 AM
Either OP is forgetting a few key details or Aviva just wants him off their books.

I just bought and insured a new Viper today. 5 minutes on the phone with my broker and got my pink cards, no issues. I've been with Aviva for almost 20yrs.

TomcoPDR
02-26-2019, 01:58 AM
I just bought and insured a new Viper today.

Love the flex

A790
02-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Love the flex

Just missing the towel rack.