PDA

View Full Version : 2019 camping thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Well reservations for may long in Alberta open today. Let's get our camping chat going.

I've got a big BC trip planned out to porteau cove if I can get a site for the days I need.

What's on the radar for you folks?

Brent.ff
02-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Hoping to get into Kokanee Creek for the August long, but that's a giant crapshoot as we won't be booking the week ahead. From there, headed to the Island for Miracle Beach.

Otherwise, lots of days out at Lower Lake again this year. With just moving to Airdrie, probably poke around in the Fallentimber area as well more

dirtsniffer
02-19-2019, 09:19 AM
I have a hard time ever wanting to go and support tourism in a place that actively tries to damage the Alberta economy.

I'll probably stay in AB all summer, the wife wants to go to Oregon, which may be alright - trying to steer her towards Montana instead.

Tik-Tok
02-19-2019, 09:38 AM
I've mentioned this is the other thread, but we got Greenpoint outside Tofino for a week, for our 15th anniversary (we were married on the beach there). No other plans yet, because I'm hoping to have a new job soon, and aren't sure when I should book for.

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 09:58 AM
I'll probably stay in AB all summer, the wife wants to go to Oregon, which may be alright - trying to steer her towards Montana instead.
Norther Idaho and Washington hwy20 are both great areas. Hwy20 is a hell of a lot slower than the interstate, but there's tones of great camping along the way.

phreezee
02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
I have a hard time ever wanting to go and support tourism in a place that actively tries to damage the Alberta economy.

I concur, 3 years ago we did Tofino, but subsequent years have been Montana and Oregon. Silverwood is a nice pit stop if you do Oregon as well.

Mostwanted
02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
A bit confused I thought reservations opened on January 14. Booked Two Jack Main Campground for August long on Jan 14, was todays reservation opening different?

Brent.ff
02-19-2019, 03:01 PM
A bit confused I thought reservations opened on January 14. Booked Two Jack Main Campground for August long on Jan 14, was todays reservation opening different?

That was for Parks Canada. This was the Alberta Parks System

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 04:16 PM
That was for Parks Canada. This was the Alberta Parks System

Yes, and really both alberta and BC provincial parks don't have a single "opening day" but a rolling window. In Alberta it's 90 days, for BC parks it's 120 days. Don't get those confused!

As to the whole "don't support BC" argument. I get it, I really do, although I have political arguments with the USA as well, so that doesn't leave much.

blownz
02-19-2019, 04:45 PM
^ weather is just so unpredictable in AB in the summer that you pretty much have to leave to guarantee nice weather.

I have already booked my two week stay in southern BC for this summer for my main trip, but the owner of the campground is from Calgary so that helps with the not wanting to support BC a little bit. :)

Clever
02-19-2019, 05:30 PM
We are in the planning stages for a trip to Niagra Falls in July. The plan is to camp along the way, we have 2 weeks so I’m hoping to hit a few campgrounds along the way. We have never been past Saskatchewan so it should be a blast.

ExtraSlow
02-19-2019, 05:54 PM
Going over or under lake superior? Under is faster and probably cheaper. But I haven't been out there in thirty years.

Clever
02-19-2019, 07:16 PM
We are hoping to stay on the Canadian side as much as possible, and going over Lake Superior, still doing some research on campgrounds and points of interest. All I know at this time is that we are visiting friends in Winnipeg and Thunder Bay, but no idea where to go from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Booked the July long weekend at Blanket Creek. Wanted a spot at Herald Provincial park, but the fucking Discovercamping website was clearly overloaded this morning and while it kept giving me errors, the few sites that were large enough to fit a truck and trailer got reserved out from under me. I had two computers on one desk logged in and refreshing constantly and I couldn't get the sites I wanted even right at the 7AM opening time.

Oh well, benefit to Blanket creek is that it's a shorter drive on that first day and a smaller / less popular park so it should be quieter. I like quiet. Really hoping to get porteau cove for the tuesday night after the long weekend, but currently not very hopeful. That's such a small campground that it's probably full to the tits forever.

Clever
02-28-2019, 02:58 PM
That’s surprising about herald, I was there in 2015 and last year. In 2015, I had a shared site and the people we were sharing with only had a 2 person tent. Looked funny, since we were on a huge site. Last year, we didn’t have any issues booking, I thought it might have been because of the floods. It’s also too bad Margaret Falls is closed, used to take my kids there for picnics and to hang out.

ExtraSlow
02-28-2019, 04:01 PM
I was trying to arrive on the Friday of the July long weekend, that doesn't help. Just checked again and in the whole campground at Herald, there's two sites available for Friday June 28th arrival out of 127 total sites. Both are too small for my trailer. That's OK, I will probably check it out on the way back.

Any idea if they plan to get that falls trail opened for this season? I can't find anything.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Well, we got the whole trip reserved. Total of 15 nights spread between Blanket Creek, Nairn Falls, Porteau Cove, Sasquatch and McDonald Creek. We wanted some time at Herald and Mabel Lake, but it didn't work for this trip, maybe next year.
A couple of longer driving days, but lots of downtime too. Lots of areas I haven't been to recently, so that's lots to look forward to.

sxtasy
03-25-2019, 09:49 AM
That looks like an awesome trip you have planned Extraslow. We just bought a Winnebago mini 2451bhs, plan to do a lot of trips in the south Okanagan. Eventual goal is to setup the trailer to mostly dry camp, hopefully hitting up the more quiet campgrounds.

We haven't taken possession of the unit yet, but had the dealer install a slide topper and throw in an extra 12 volt battery.

blownz
03-25-2019, 12:06 PM
^Nice trailer!

And that does look like a great trip. I am lazy and like to park for most of my trip. lol

One day I will try something like that.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2019, 12:20 PM
And that does look like a great trip. I am lazy and like to park for most of my trip. lolI like to park too, we have a lot of non-travel days built in. Wanted the family to touch salt water this year.

blownz
03-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Fly to Mexico lol

Seriously though make sure you post about how the trip went as I am interested.

I always spend two weeks in August in Christina Lake and Osoyoos as I like hot weather, beaches, wine and relaxing. :)

sxtasy
03-25-2019, 06:44 PM
Nice destinations blownz, that's the areas I'll be camping too. Where do you stay in Osoyoos? Nkmip campground?

ExtraSlow
03-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Fly to Mexico lol This camping trip is nearly the same cost as taking everyone to mexico. Ouch. We were originally planning to go to Tofino, but that would have been more expensive then going to mexico. This hobby ain't cheap!

Thaco
03-25-2019, 07:27 PM
i have my 2 weeks booked at the lake (hilliards bay, north west side of lesser slave lake), i'd love to do a road trip now that we have the new trailer, go down to seattle or something, but being a contractor if i don't work i don't get paid, so i don't want to take more than i have to right now, that's definitely in the cards in the future, we've never road tripped with our RV before because its always been an "expandable" one so you cant just park at walmart all inconspicuously (and with safety/security in mind).

Also we go camping almost every weekend, sometimes at family property, race weekends will be camping at dinosaur downs racetrack in drumheller... some FCFS at carseland no doubt, normally do a weekend at aspen crossing, and a long weekend at ol macdonalds on buffalo lake.

blownz
03-26-2019, 08:58 AM
Nice destinations blownz, that's the areas I'll be camping too. Where do you stay in Osoyoos? Nkmip campground?

I have stayed there and Osoyoos campground and waterslides just south of the highway. The last few years though, we just stay in Christina Lake the full two weeks and do 1-2 nights in a hotel in Osoyoos as a side trip leaving the trailer behind. I find it more fun and a nice chance to see some vineyards, eat at some good restaurants, and let the kids have fun at rattle snake canyon. We also often do a night at Ainsworth staying at the hotsprings hotel and a trip across the border into the US as well. All while leaving the trailer in Christina Lake. Just easier that way.

In Christina Lake we stay here: https://campbeverlyhills.ca/

The location is good and we have become good friends with the owners and our kids with their kids. They are actually originally from Calgary and bought the campground about 10 years ago to go for a more relaxing and simple life.

Joel_D
03-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Just booked a week camping in Idaho (Farragut state park) in August. We’re looking to head towards northern Montana afterwards, any recommendations for a campground on a lake with full hook ups?

ExtraSlow
03-27-2019, 07:36 AM
I stayed at Farragut about ten years ago, or maybe nine, and I think I remember it was great. Need to get back that way soon.

KPHMPH
03-27-2019, 08:20 AM
I come here so ExtraSlow can make fun of me.

Excited to get to our camping spot this year. It’s been a long stressful winter.

I wonder how the cover held up - apparently this part of BC got a lot of snow!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/bonder45/20870EBD-06D7-47B6-9658-C68B3023DB25_zpsdsfm1rgv.jpg

ExtraSlow
03-27-2019, 08:28 AM
I'm just jelly of your fabulous lifestyle.

holden
03-27-2019, 09:42 AM
What are the chances of getting a first-come, first-serve non-serviced spot in Peter Lougheed (e.g. Lower Lake) by driving down Friday evening on a non-holiday weekend? I remember years back you could even get a spot on a long weekend Friday, but I'm guessing those days are long gone.

Brent.ff
03-27-2019, 09:47 AM
What are the chances of getting a first-come, first-serve non-serviced spot in Peter Lougheed (e.g. Lower Lake) by driving down Friday evening on a non-holiday weekend? I remember years back you could even get a spot on a long weekend Friday, but I'm guessing those days are long gone.

Highly dependent on the weather and when during the year. July on, you'll be pretty lucky to find a spot in Lower Lake by evening on friday. Don't even bother trying to Interlakes if you're late on friday. If the forecast is crap, its easy to get a spot.

We booked Lower Lake reserve ones pretty well every weekend from May on last year, and the May to mid June, you could have got a site at will. Looks like the weekends are actually pretty booked up this year, so wonder if more people are doing what we did

By July, if you're not there by mid-day on the Friday, you're risking missing your chance...We have gotten the last site too many times to count. Long weekends, better go out on a Wednesday and drop a tent.

z24_wheels
03-27-2019, 11:27 AM
Heading out this weekend to crown land outside Sundre. Hoping I can find a spot without snow.

mzdspd
03-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Just picked up a used truck camper.. I had been looking for awhile and they are tough to come by. I picked this one up in kamloops. 2000 adventurer 810WS. It weighs 1600 lbs and has a full bath/shower. My payload is over 3000 lbs so I have lots of room with this.
I was also impressed with the 6.0L and 4.10 rear end in the truck, I averaged 20 L/100km on the drive back at 100kph. I average 15 L/100km unloaded, driving down to kamloops from Edmonton.
https://imgur.com/gallery/TbpvzKa

Tik-Tok
03-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Truck campers are awesome for boondocking on crown land. Especially if youre hauling a quad or sled trailer.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Truck campers are awesome for a lot of things. Much quicker to pack up when you want to get moving in the morning too.

mzdspd
03-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Yep! Hoping to do some off grid camping. I’m going to test it out to see how long the battery and propane tanks will last. I may add a second battery and/or solar panel as well.

Brent.ff
04-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Managed to snag the august long weekend at Kokanee Creek.. site almost crashed on us but got it!

ExtraSlow
04-02-2019, 10:33 AM
Managed to snag the august long weekend at Kokanee Creek.. site almost crashed on us but got it!

Awesome, leave town early, that traffic will suck.

R-Audi
04-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Any other places that are close offer things like the Trappers Tents at Sundance Lodges?
Got shut out with their new booking system....Wife doesnt like camping but will go there.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Probably too late to book, but the parks Canada "otentik" things?
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/camping/otentik

Thaco
04-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Any other places that are close offer things like the Trappers Tents at Sundance Lodges?
Got shut out with their new booking system....Wife doesnt like camping but will go there.

carsland has a few of those, also aspen crossing has train cars converted to cabins, search for comfort camping, that's usually what the term is.

BavarianBeast
04-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Hey fellow campers could you help me fill out a survey for a class at the university? We are starting a retrofitted campervan company.. thanks! I didn’t create the questions and keep in mind our target customer is people travelling to Canada.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScypamC4pNAqCQLwxSVy520ViyT5sok47BylGnvxAI_5hMa5w/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

Sorry didn’t realize how little detail the survey had on it. Rental will be a 2 person dodge caravan van that’s retrofitted with a kitchen in the trunk, twin bed and storage space. Similar to this setup:

dirtsniffer
04-03-2019, 02:00 PM
Anyone remember the spray that is apaprently really effective at cleaning awnings?

Thaco
04-03-2019, 02:12 PM
Anyone remember the spray that is apaprently really effective at cleaning awnings?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/30-second-ready-to-use-outdoor-cleaner-0488896p.0488897.html

Thaco
04-08-2019, 02:26 PM
If anybody is looking for a decent 30amp inverter generator, costco has the firman 3000w on sale for $600 (and you can PM HD if you want and get it for $540), instead of outlining it all i'll just link to the RFD thread.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-firman-w03081-3-300-w-gasoline-powered-inverter-generator-599-99-540-hd-pm-2277293/

dirtsniffer
04-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Awesome. How loud is that? 54 decibels ? Suitable for a campground?

Thaco
04-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Should be fine, check the video in the link, i think at around 2:50 he fires it up, he doesnt have to raise his voice to talk over it so it should be similar to most other inverters.

ExtraSlow
04-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Every inverter generator is good for campgrounds with a few caveats. 1) many have "quiet hours" where no generator is permitted. 2) you place it as far away from your neighbors as possible and 3) you don't fire it up too early in the morning to make coffee or whatever. There is usually a noticeable difference between the honda/yamaha generators and the "rest" of them, but if you follow the rules above, it doesn't matter much.

speedog
04-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Hey fellow campers could you help me fill out a survey for a class at the university? We are starting a retrofitted campervan company.. thanks! I didn’t create the questions and keep in mind our target customer is people travelling to Canada.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScypamC4pNAqCQLwxSVy520ViyT5sok47BylGnvxAI_5hMa5w/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

Sorry didn’t realize how little detail the survey had on it. Rental will be a 2 person dodge caravan van that’s retrofitted with a kitchen in the trunk, twin bed and storage space. Similar to this setup:

Wicked Campers Calgary (https://m.wickedcampers.ca/location/calgary.html)

Tik-Tok
04-08-2019, 07:44 PM
. There is usually a noticeable difference between the honda/yamaha generators and the "rest" of them, but if you follow the rules above, it doesn't matter much.

There's no point in having the quietest generator in the campground, when you're surrounded by noisey ones.

ExtraSlow
04-08-2019, 07:55 PM
There's no point in having the quietest generator in the campground, when you're surrounded by noisey ones.

Well, generally the closest generator to your campsite is your own, so there's some benefit. That benefit is even larger if the sites are spaced further apart. But yeah, if the guy next door has an open-frame construction generator, then nothing else matters.

Kjonus
04-09-2019, 04:53 PM
Generators in general is one of the reasons why my trailer is for sale......

AndyL
04-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Generators in general is one of the reasons why my trailer is for sale......

That's the reason you setup for boondocking and get away from the crowds. Not sell the gear. My .02

Thaco
04-10-2019, 10:19 AM
yeah for sure, you're going to let other people's indirect actions impact your life... i couldn't imagine how much i'd miss out on life if i did that... and i generally hate people.

there are plenty of solutions rather than just giving up entirely.

Kjonus
04-10-2019, 06:10 PM
yeah for sure, you're going to let other people's indirect actions impact your life... i couldn't imagine how much i'd miss out on life if i did that... and i generally hate people.

there are plenty of solutions rather than just giving up entirely.

Boondocking wasn't an issue, remember that I said that was "one" of the reasons, there are others. I've had 2 different trailers over my 15 years of camping, just time to move on.

Kavy
04-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Boondocking wasn't an issue, remember that I said that was "one" of the reasons, there are others. I've had 2 different trailers over my 15 years of camping, just time to move on.

Thank you for your feedback in the camping thread.

Thaco
04-14-2019, 05:50 PM
remove or modify (file them so they arent keyed, just a circle and will spin around the lock) the little handles on your cam locks... the little handle is keyed to the barrel and allows thieves to just use a box end wrench or other item to use it for leverage and it will bust the filberglass around the cylinder and just spins the whole lock.... i lost 4 us2200 6v batteries last night...

I personally am going to remove the handles, flatten them and drill a couple holes in them, place them on the inside of the door and screw them to the door

Glad costco carries the 6v cart batteries now, much cheaper than anybody else,

R-Audi
05-02-2019, 12:11 PM
In my search for 'outfitter tents' I came across this place and ended up booking. It was also cheaper than Sundance lodges, about an hour further away, but offers more amenities. (Coffee shop, restaurant, cabins, activities etc)

https://pantherriver.com/

Anyone been there before??

Brent.ff
05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Anyone been there before??

I havent been to the resort, but if you're going hiking, bring some bear spray. that area is serious grizzly country.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Beautiful area, haven't stayed at the resort.

Kavy
05-02-2019, 12:41 PM
I havent been to the resort, but if you're going hiking, bring some bear spray. that area is serious grizzly country.

100% agree, early spring I would not be walking without spray, a dog, and maybe the MarkV suitcase from Iron Man 2.
Mama Bears with Cubs just woke up in the last month or so.

R-Audi
05-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Booked during the first week of July (Stampede) but I will bring bear spray.

Tik-Tok
05-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a sweet propane holder like this one? Was definitely safe looking, wobbling back and forth up there.85869

mzdspd
05-16-2019, 08:56 AM
So where is everyone going this weekend?

I am risking it and going to Jasper after work today with no reservation.. I am going to try to get into Snaring Campground which is 100% non reservable and has 60 sites plus an overflow. I am hoping to get into a camp site and not the overflow..

Brent.ff
05-16-2019, 09:25 AM
I suspect youll be fine, this weather forecast is garbage. Was thinking about fallentimber but sitting at camp all weekend is overly appealing

ExtraSlow
05-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Gull lake parked in my in-laws driveway as I do most long weekends. Babysitting and some cousins for the kids to play with makes my life simpler. Weather actually looks decent there. Calgary might be worst part of the province.

Tik-Tok
05-16-2019, 10:16 AM
I suspect youll be fine, this weather forecast is garbage. Was thinking about fallentimber but sitting at camp all weekend is overly appealing

So weird that May long weekend is predicting bad weather, eh? That almost never happens.

mzdspd
05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
So weird that May long weekend is predicting bad weather, eh? That almost never happens.

Haha no doubt. Looks like 14-15 degrees in Jasper and chance of rain Friday and Saturday. Looks like the hiking will be chilly.

KPHMPH
05-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Made it to the Shuswap yesterday, beautiful weather the whole way. Woke up to rain today, I’m happy though - a nice rain day never hurt anyone....plus it will be nice for the grass to get a good soak!

bjstare
05-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a sweet propane holder like this one? Was definitely safe looking, wobbling back and forth up there.85869

One of my good friends lived on that guy's street growing up, used to see that truck/camper all the time.

Might look unsafe, but that baby has been wobbling away up there for 20+ years now. She's not goin anywhere.

mzdspd
05-21-2019, 09:09 AM
How was everyones weekend?

We made it to Snaring Thursday around 9 pm. Luckily snagged up one of the last camping spots. Weather was okay, rained on Saturday for most of the day. Drove back on Sunday on HWY 16 and the wind was BRUTAL. It was blowing the truck all over the place. Wind noise was brutal and gas mileage was horrible. With doing 100-105 on cruise , I was constantly dropping gears to 4th or 5th to maintain speed. I averaged around 30 L / 100k because of the wind :cry:

Tik-Tok
05-21-2019, 09:29 AM
It was great. The city felt empty.

ExtraSlow
05-21-2019, 01:54 PM
Was at gull lake at the in-laws place. Drove through rain on the way up friday morning, had decent weather the whole weekend, and drove home through a nasty headwind on monday afternoon. I also got around 30L/100km on the return trip. Fucking hate wind. We all got sick too. Happy fucking Victoria day!

Thaco
05-21-2019, 03:02 PM
We were at chain lakes, was alright on the way there friday afternoon, snowed over night friday and all day saturday, sunday was decent, no snow but chilly and windy most the day, monday was nice but just to pack up and come home.

Luckily we were in a group site and they have a really nice heated, insulated cook shack with power, water, and a 16 burner gas stove... so we sat in there an played games most the weekend... kinda nice, because i am usually the go-to mr fixit and spend most nice weekends working on shit... nice to just relax.

SOAB
05-21-2019, 03:07 PM
drove out to Ol' Macdonald Campground (Buffalo Lake) on thursday. the weather was decent. no rain, just a little breezy at times. drove home monday. it was damn windy for the drive home.

ExtraSlow
05-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Chain lakes is always windy. Neat group camp. Always nice to get a crew together.

speedog
05-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Spent the past week working in Elkwater in Cypress Hills Provincial Park. If you want somewhere to camp that isn't crazy busy, this would be a great choice. Now there's really nothing in the way of shopping like Banff offers, one gas station, two general stores (one which was still it's off season closure period) and three restaurant/cafes (one still off-season closed, a second one still operating on off-season hours).

What surprised me was the amount of campgrounds and camping spots in the park and especially right around Elkwater. Cell phone service is non-existent at the more remote campgrounds (Reesor, Spruce Coulee) but the roads are all paved to even the remote campgrounds and are in fantastic condition.

Things to do in the area, fishing for sure, watching wildlife (insane amounts of mule and white tailed deer) and taking in some of the scenic stuff in the area. I drove into Saskatchewan one evening on the road last Reesor Lake and checked out some historic sites in the area, after Reesor you would only want to attempt thus road when it's dry as it was readily apparent that wet conditions would pretty much make it an impassable route. There's also the Manyberries badlands, still very wild, very undeveloped and no one around, amazingly I had LTE service in the badlands.

We'll probably do a day trip to those badlands this summer as fossils are quite easy to locate and it's quite a surreal experience to be in an area that is still so wild and undeveloped. One thing I did not expect was a water crossing to get into the Reesor Lake campground, concrete slabs are laid down so quite safe but quite different from any campground entrance I've ever seen.

blownz
05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
^ That looks great!

I haven't actually camped in about 10 years on the may long. AB weather is a gamble. That said I went to Fairmont Hot Springs and stayed in the lodge from Friday to Tuesday of the long weekend. Nice and relaxing. Bringing the trailer out next week to get ready for the first trip. :)

Thaco
05-29-2019, 02:54 PM
^ That looks great!

I haven't actually camped in about 10 years on the may long. AB weather is a gamble. That said I went to Fairmont Hot Springs and stayed in the lodge from Friday to Tuesday of the long weekend. Nice and relaxing. Bringing the trailer out next week to get ready for the first trip. :)

may long is typically ok if you go east, west you're just begging for snow.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2019, 04:04 PM
speedog is right, cypress hills is a beautiful park. It's a long haul down there, but it's very pretty and not too busy.

speedog
05-29-2019, 10:16 PM
Top picture of mine above was taken in the Manyberries badlands - Google Maps link (https://www.google.com/maps/place/49%C2%B020'12.4%22N+110%C2%B035'14.9%22W/@49.3355436,-110.5892346,2426m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x536b5b5c9fdc2c93:0xaf9e6c9fd2d8dde6!7e2!8m2!3d49.3367774!4d-110.5874616).

Dirt roads for sure and nothing around, certainly no tourists.

schurchill39
05-30-2019, 08:33 AM
Spent the past week working in Elkwater in Cypress Hills Provincial Park. If you want somewhere to camp that isn't crazy busy, this would be a great choice. Now there's really nothing in the way of shopping like Banff offers, one gas station, two general stores (one which was still it's off season closure period) and three restaurant/cafes (one still off-season closed, a second one still operating on off-season hours).

What surprised me was the amount of campgrounds and camping spots in the park and especially right around Elkwater. Cell phone service is non-existent at the more remote campgrounds (Reesor, Spruce Coulee) but the roads are all paved to even the remote campgrounds and are in fantastic condition.

Its interesting that you found Elkwater not that busy. I guess things have changed drastically since I was a teenager living in Medicine Hat. Most of the locals would avoid it over may long like the plauge. It was always ridiculously busy, and overun with partying kids from all the highschools (of which I was one of those idiots for a few years). Liquor bans, and more CO's than you could shake a stick at really make that place not fun over may long. I know I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the hundreds of teenagers and loser drunk 40 year olds that were out there now that I am an adult with a family.

That being said, off of long weekends it was always great. But with it being such a short drive from the Hat it was usually packed any long weekend.

EDIT: We used to do day trips to the Manyberries area and Red Rock Coulee all the time as kids and I completely agree with you, its an incredible place.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Well, Long weekends are a special case, and frankly, that isn't at least 1 hour on gravel and 3+ hours from a city is going to be awful. Regular summertime weekends or weekdays aren't so bad in Elkwater.

speedog
05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
I was in Elkwater Monday-Friday and it's still considered the off season when I was there, can only comment on what I saw.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Long weekends are a special case, and frankly, that isn't at least 1 hour on gravel and 3+ hours from a city is going to be awful. Regular summertime weekends or weekdays aren't so bad in Elkwater.

I believe any campground there is now accessed via pavement.

ExtraSlow
05-30-2019, 02:43 PM
I believe any campground there is now accessed via pavement.I think that's correct

BavarianBeast
05-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Just out of curiosity - buy why doesnt it seem like very many people in this forum utilize crown land?

Tik-Tok
05-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Just out of curiosity - buy why doesnt it seem like very many people in this forum utilize crown land?

Shhhhut uuupp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPF9AeHznE

KPHMPH
05-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Constant quiet power, unlimited running water, hot forever daily showers, sewer...the list goes on.

BavarianBeast
05-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Hmm, I’ll take my private spot over those amenities!

ExtraSlow
05-30-2019, 05:36 PM
Lots of us have used crown land, and it has some advantages, but some disadvantages. Honestly, my biggest problem with it is the people I meet out there and how disrespectful they are to the land. Garbage everywhere. Cutting down live trees to burn in huge smoky fires. ATVs and dirt bikes at all hours, and open frame generators.

Nearby provincial campgrounds have been a much better experience. But maybe I've been unlucky?

I will say I've never been to a campground with a sewer hookup that was a pleasant experience either.

My Goldilocks kind of experience is small rustic campgrounds out in the boonies like Dutch creek and Livingston falls.

Thaco
05-30-2019, 08:31 PM
i dont typically go to crown land because there's no guarantees and some of the camping areas are unpredictable, you never know if you're gonna get a spot, and if you do, you don't know if you're gonna get stuck trying to get in or out.

killramos
05-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Constant quiet power, unlimited running water, hot forever daily showers, sewer...the list goes on.

Yea I don’t need to leave the city for those things...

Thaco
05-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Yea I don’t need to leave the city for those things...

you also dont need to be without them when you do leave the city... different people camp differently, as long as you're enjoying yourself and it doesn't impact other people., who cares how others do it?

Brent.ff
05-30-2019, 09:35 PM
I grew up camping on crown land, but was pretty well chased from the north livingstone, all the way south and then all the way up to above the oldman river falls by OHVers and people that leave their trailers in place for the entire season. I’ll take the campground fees to get away from OHVs alone..

Might give the livingstone a try this year with the new PLUZ, see if it’s any better. Last time I was there it was still hillbilly central and it hurt my soul having seen it when it was pretty much left alone

stealth
05-31-2019, 07:13 AM

All I use is crown land. We take ATVs and guns and all camp grounds don't allow both lol.

I have a generator. I have unlimited water if I am by a stream/river (water filtration system for showering) and lots of potable water I bring with me. I have a sewer, its called a extra long hose in the middle of the bush.

We pack out all of our garbage that we bring in. Some places have been horrible for shotgun shells being left over and beer cans.

Brent.ff
05-31-2019, 07:16 AM
I have a sewer, its called a extra long hose in the middle of the bush.

Annnnd this is what's wrong with a lot of the random camping mentality

spike98
05-31-2019, 07:19 AM
I have a sewer, its called a extra long hose in the middle of the bush.

I was with you until this dude. Thats pretty fucking disrespectful running your shit into the bush. I imagine you are one of the clowns that the rest of us like to avoid.

stealth
05-31-2019, 07:23 AM
No different, than taking a shit in the bush? We actually dig a hole and cover it up once done. And that is only if we go long enough that our tanks are full.

100% not one of the clowns, we pack out all garbage we bring in and don't damage any forestry/property.

ExtraSlow
05-31-2019, 07:35 AM
But how hard would it be to leave your shit in the tanks and haul it out? Really bud.

stealth
05-31-2019, 07:37 AM
But how hard would it be to leave your shit in the tanks and haul it out? Really bud.

After 6 days, it would overflow bud! Tanks have a certain capacity.

You seem to have a big problem with something, no one would ever see or run into. Like I said no different than shitting in the bush, if anything its better. Its exactly like someone who has a septic system pumped into a farmers field. It is all underground. Get off your high horse and stop bitching.