PDA

View Full Version : Accident

mo_virgin
03-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Im doing part time training as in EMT in Victoria so i can become a paramedic of a firefighter on the part time outside of university. But something happened last night that idestroyed my faith in life... so im being an "observer" in an ambulance for my onsite training and we get a call about a highway accident. The accident involved a pretty riced out civic and a minivan, the civic had tried to rush a turn (already red) and the minivan was speeding through the intersection...
Auuuggg... the world is just so fucking messed... in the minivan there was mom and a todler and the mom made it but ... the toddler was just a mangled mess guys. He died on impact... thrown through the window. The mom was just hysterical... its so wrong guys nobody needs this shit. I just can't get the picture of the kid out of my mind... i ran off and threw up on scene. I can't do this anymore... i can't do the class, can't do life man. shit... and the civic driver got away with a broken leg. Guys be safe when you drive, wear your seltbelts and just fucking be careful.

Ben
03-28-2004, 08:58 PM
yeah, shit like that is rough, but such is life as an EMT.

86max
03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Dude, sorry to hear about that. I feel so sorry for the mother.......:( Geez....I could never do that type of work.

crazydriver
03-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Only very brave ppl wit guts are EMTs, i appreciate ppl like u mo_virgin who atleast has the guts to try.. but ya life is like that... my condolences goes out for the mother

rice_eater
03-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Im doing part time training as in EMT in Victoria so i can become a paramedic of a firefighter on the part time outside of university. But something happened last night that idestroyed my faith in life... so im being an "observer" in an ambulance for my onsite training and we get a call about a highway accident. The accident involved a pretty riced out civic and a minivan, the civic had tried to rush a turn (already red) and the minivan was speeding through the intersection...
Auuuggg... the world is just so fucking messed... in the minivan there was mom and a todler and the mom made it but ... the toddler was just a mangled mess guys. He died on impact... thrown through the window. The mom was just hysterical... its so wrong guys nobody needs this shit. I just can't get the picture of the kid out of my mind... i ran off and threw up on scene. I can't do this anymore... i can't do the class, can't do life man. shit... and the civic driver got away with a broken leg. Guys be safe when you drive, wear your seltbelts and just fucking be careful.

well you better get used to it...ambulances get called for a reason :dunno: I think what's more messed is the fact that with time, you just get used to it and it doesn't have the same affect on you anymore...it's just another day at the office. kinda wierd

xrayvsn
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

well you better get used to it...ambulances get called for a reason :dunno: I think what's more messed is the fact that with time, you just get used to it and it doesn't have the same affect on you anymore...it's just another day at the office. kinda wierd

Don't think you can ever get used to it. You just learn better to cope with it. Terrible things like this happen every day, and when you actually see it up close in the flesh, it always affects you.

I think it is good that you had a reaction like that. I hope you feel more compelled to help those people that you are getting training to help. It puts a real human face to WHY you want to do what you do, and hopefully gives you some motivation to learn and do your job to the best of your ability.

I have had many similar experiences, and I still remember each patient. I don't let their outcomes affect how I have to do my job, though. I think its extremely important that you talk about what you experienced with your colleagues and mentors. They can help you through what you are going through.

mo_virgin
03-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I just need to get my mind off it... ive been watching cartoon network for past 6 hours... drinking ammeretto.

Xrayvsn... your an MD?

xrayvsn
03-29-2004, 12:55 AM
Yep, I'm in radiology now, but have seen more than enough traumas to appreciate what you are going through. It is especially hard when you see children injured, since it is in our nature to want to protect them. I think its probably this same instinct that makes this particular incident so difficult for you. Its also probably a big reason why you want to be an EMS, so it isn't something that will just go away.

My guess is that you will always remember that child, probably for your entire career. If you can turn your feelings around into something constructive, you'll be ahead of the game. I hope that this makes you passionate about your role in being the first on the scene, and being able to make the most difference. What they say about the "golden hour" is true. As an EMS, you have a huge impact on how that hour turns out. The rest of what happens in the hospital, and by the time I get involved, serves for documentation and more specific, definitive management.

My original suggestion to you still stands, talk to your classmates, and your instructors. Many will have similar experiences.

hjr
03-29-2004, 12:59 AM
that totally sucks man, wasnt the toddler buckled down? shit that would suck. I also appriciate what you do. I know i couldnt so props to you.

A_3
03-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Wow, sorry you had to see that man... horrible. I guess all i can say is cherish your time on earth.