PDA

View Full Version : Where to go...?

tonytiger55
02-25-2019, 09:58 PM
Im turning the big 4 ooooohhh this summer. :nut:

Im thinking of a trip. I got two weeks. Im a backpacker, I like one way tickets, figuring shit out, temples, museums, weird food and old shit.

Japan is on top of the list.

For the same price, skyscanner says I can fly over to Japan, make my way to the end of the island and fly over to South Korea for 3 days too. Japan will be expensive though... and im a cheap ass.

Colombia crossed my mind... Im a bit worried about safety and the Cali cartel.. Brazil crosses the mind too..

Any other ideas or recommendations..?

max_boost
02-25-2019, 10:11 PM
One of my gf planned a 3 week trip for us and it’s so cheap so far like $1500 for Airbnb and flights, Lisbon, Bordeaux, Prague, Dubrovnik, perhaps see if something like that might work for you. I’m going in June.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2019, 10:20 PM
Brazil is a really cool country, but many parts of it aren't that safe to just wander around in. Plus, it's fucking huge, so you you'll need internal flights if you want to see different parts of it.

Japan is amazingly safe, so you can save a ton of money there by just not giving a fuck. The cheapest shittiest hotel/hostel/backpackers might be shitty, but it'll be safe.

If you like the hot jungle countries, alternatives to Columbia are Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Belize.

killramos
02-25-2019, 11:06 PM
I also +1 would not backpack through Brazil unless you want to come back in a cigar box. Lived there for 3 years and the local fun fact was that the state I lived in had more annual assasinations than Israel. They DGAF there, they see you and only see a payday.

If that’s what you want to do Japan is the only place on that list I would consider, but I am fairly risk averse.

Just my $0.02...

msommers
02-25-2019, 11:22 PM
Japan is definitely on my top 3. So incredibly unique from what I've heard/read.

My fiance's uncles are from Brazil and they straight up said we should definitely all go down there, but only with them. They both looked very serious about that. Fiance has been when she was younger and loved it but again, was with her uncles.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2019, 11:27 PM
Brazil is amazing. Go someday, but don't go alone. It's one of the few countries that has lots of organized crime AND lots of dis-organized crime. I'd feel safer anywhere in Mexico.

Sugarphreak
02-26-2019, 01:06 AM

Misterman
02-26-2019, 08:08 AM
Can't say I've ever heard of Japan as being a great backpacking trip? But I've never been. If you're cheap and like backpacking, then Cambodia/Vietnam seem like great options.

ExtraSlow
02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Can't say I've ever heard of Japan as being a great backpacking trip? But I've never been. If you're cheap and like backpacking, then Cambodia/Vietnam seem like great options.
It's very different than most "backpacking" destinations, but it's easy and safe to travel in, and it's really interesting.

Gainsbarre
02-26-2019, 09:10 AM
I've been to all three in the past 5 years, and am going to Japan and Brazil again later this year.

I always say that Japan isn't any more expensive than western Europe, in fact for comparison I'd say that it's cheaper to travel around Japan than it is to travel around England and Scotland.

Colombia is an inexpensive destination and I wasn't concerned about my safety when I was there in the fall of 2017. Domestic flights are cheap in Colombia.

Brazil I was there during the World Cup, and it was safe then, but likely only due to the added security precautions and added police presence. All of my friends from Brazil love their country of origin but will quickly and openly admit that crime is an issue. One of my Brazilian friends even got robbed during her most recent visit to her hometown...

A possible alternative I'd recommend ahead of Brazil or Colombia would be Costa Rica. In fact I'd recommend Costa Rica ahead of pretty much any other country in the Americas (certainly ahead of Belize, Panama, or Mexico), as it's one of my favourite places to visit.

Xtrema
02-26-2019, 09:50 AM
Japan hands down.

Manhattan
02-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Japan is cool but it's a fully developed country and relatively expensive to travel in. Food, lodge, and train tickets are on par with Canada/US/Europe. I also find developed countries too orderly to be a divergence from the norms I'm used to.

If you have a couple weeks you could consider splitting your time between Japan and a much cheaper destination like Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia. Although weather will be a consideration in SE asia (wouldn't wanna get caught there in middle of summer or rainy season). I have not been to Korea but I've been told its one of the less interesting places to visit. Sounds like there's not much to do there except to eat, shop, and drink. I think China gets often overlooked as a travel destination but it's such a large country that there's something there for everyone. It just gets a bad rep from the press.

Misterman
02-26-2019, 10:34 AM
It's very different than most "backpacking" destinations, but it's easy and safe to travel in, and it's really interesting.

Yeah it would be killer trip to go on. You just wouldn't be "backpacking" there in any traditional sense AFAIK. Maybe there is cheap hostels all over the place I haven't heard of?

Strider
02-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Maybe there is cheap hostels all over the place I haven't heard of?

Capsule hotels

Xtrema
02-26-2019, 02:21 PM
Capsule hotels

Meh... there are plenty hotels that will go for $90 or less a night with private bathroom. No need for capsule unless you want to see what sleeping in a coffin is like.

Going to Vancouver? $180 for 2* Travelodge.

Mitsu3000gt
02-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Japan is by far the best place I have personally visited, so that gets my recommendation. It also can be done very cheaply. We spent 16 days there with direct flights, 2 week rail pass (Included bullet trains), full apartment AirBnbs in good locations, pocket WiFi, eating out minimum twice a day, PASMO cards for local transport, Tokyo Sky tree, souvenirs, etc. and 2 nights in a good Onsen w/dinner for about $3K each. You could do it WAY cheaper than that and there is an unlimited amount of stuff to do. Some of our AirBnB's were under $100 CAD/night for a full apartment. Capsule hotels are half that.

We used backpacks to move between accommodation which changed frequently, it was perfect. Western Europe is much more expensive than Japan, in my experience, for similar quality holidays. Central/Eastern Europe is pretty cheap.

max_boost
02-26-2019, 06:34 PM
Japan is by far the best place I have personally visited, so that gets my recommendation. It also can be done very cheaply. We spent 16 days there with direct flights, 2 week rail pass (Included bullet trains), full apartment AirBnbs in good locations, pocket WiFi, eating out minimum twice a day, PASMO cards for local transport, Tokyo Sky tree, souvenirs, etc. and 2 nights in a good Onsen w/dinner for about $3K each. You could do it WAY cheaper than that and there is an unlimited amount of stuff to do. Some of our AirBnB's were under $100 CAD/night for a full apartment. Capsule hotels are half that.

We used backpacks to move between accommodation which changed frequently, it was perfect. Western Europe is much more expensive than Japan, in my experience, for similar quality holidays. Central/Eastern Europe is pretty cheap.

Is it because you don't have to tip? :devil:

tonytiger55
02-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Japan is cool but it's a fully developed country and relatively expensive to travel in. Food, lodge, and train tickets are on par with Canada/US/Europe. I also find developed countries too orderly to be a divergence from the norms I'm used to.

If you have a couple weeks you could consider splitting your time between Japan and a much cheaper destination like Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia. Although weather will be a consideration in SE asia (wouldn't wanna get caught there in middle of summer or rainy season). I have not been to Korea but I've been told its one of the less interesting places to visit. Sounds like there's not much to do there except to eat, shop, and drink. I think China gets often overlooked as a travel destination but it's such a large country that there's something there for everyone. It just gets a bad rep from the press.

I did Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam last year. I really liked it. I might do China next year.
Im just hitting a milestone in my life and want it to be a bit memorable and not too ghetto.

I'm meeting a friend later in the week who has regularly travelled to Prague. Im not ruling out eastern Europe yet, Max Boost got me thinking.
I'l start looking at Japan travel blogs.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Is it because you don't have to tip? :devil:

Japan was one of the countries I wanted to tip in more than anywhere else. The level of service and general attitude of the people there is not found anywhere else I have ever been. The people were one of my favorite parts of the country. We tried to tip everywhere, sometimes they would accept it, sometimes they wouldn't. The street vendors seemed happy to 'keep the change'. The most expensive restaurant we went to was run by a few guys from San Francisco and they gladly accepted tips. I tipped in Japan more than a lot of other countries, it was just harder to get them to accept so sometimes we would just leave it on the table. Lots of phenomenal Indian food there, surprisingly, and those places also accepted tips.

flipstah
02-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Japan rules, hands down. Been there twice and wouldn't hesitate to go again and again.

rx7boi
02-27-2019, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine says that Colombia and Peru are among the more safer countries. He would not suggest Brazil unless you are a seasoned traveller.

R-Audi
02-27-2019, 11:25 AM
What about Argentina/Chile/Uruguay?

Argentina and Uruguay are extremely safe, and beautiful to tour through. Never been to Chile.

ExtraSlow
02-27-2019, 11:31 AM
A friend of mine says that Colombia and Peru are among the more safer countries. He would not suggest Brazil unless you are a seasoned traveller.
Argentina and Uruguay are extremely safe, and beautiful to tour through. Never been to Chile.
Another big advantage of skipping Brazil and going anywhere else in central or south america is that for most English speakers, Spanish is easier to speak then Brazilian Portugese. It reads like Spanish but the verbal pronunciation sure fucked me up.

rx7boi
02-27-2019, 04:20 PM
+1, heard some good things about Argentina and Chile from him as well.

Hearing about which places are good/bad reminds me of the Olympics in Rio where white dudes were getting their cameras snatched in broad daylight.

max_boost
02-27-2019, 04:37 PM
The world is a big place. Go somewhere relatively safe. The places that aren't, hopefully they get their shit together.

saiyajin
02-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Japan for sure, going there again for the 4th time and still looking forward to it as if it was still my first time.

tonytiger55
02-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Another big advantage of skipping Brazil and going anywhere else in central or south america is that for most English speakers, Spanish is easier to speak then Brazilian Portugese. It reads like Spanish but the verbal pronunciation sure fucked me up.

Dude... what era are you living in.....? Google translate... :poosie:

Good question.. Not for my 40th.. Possibly later.. Chile actually is rather appealing.
Looks like Japan is getting a lot of votes.. Those who have gone... What kind of budget did you all have?

ExtraSlow
02-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Dude... what era are you living in.....? Google translate... :poosie:that hadn't been invented when I was there. Still seems like a hassle, but I'm just old.

max_boost
02-28-2019, 07:44 PM
that hadn't been invented when I was there. Still seems like a hassle, but I'm just old.

Okay speedog2.0 lol

flipstah
03-01-2019, 07:23 AM
Japanese convenience store food is better than some Calgary restaurants.

Strider
03-01-2019, 11:33 AM
What kind of budget did you all have?

Great... now we're going to have a Japan brag thread to go with the Vegas and Hawaii threads.

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2019, 11:42 AM
From Above:

Those who have gone... What kind of budget did you all have?

We spent 16 days there with direct flights (AC Dreamliner), 2 week rail pass (Included bullet trains), full apartment AirBnbs in good locations, pocket WiFi, eating out minimum twice a day, PASMO cards for local transport, Tokyo Sky tree, souvenirs, etc. and 2 nights in a good Hakone Onsen w/dinner for about $3K each. You could do it WAY cheaper than that and there is an unlimited amount of stuff to do. Some of our AirBnB's were under $100 CAD/night for a full apartment. Capsule hotels are half that.

We did it pretty cheap, and if you travel with someone and can split accommodation, it can be incredibly cheap.

taemo
03-01-2019, 01:13 PM
budget all depends to you and how much you spend.

I tend to budget most of the time 150-300$/night accommodations, although there are some times we have splurged.
Daily cost (food,transporation,entertainment), I budget maybe 50-100$/day

BTW I voted Other and would recommend Argentina, Chile or Peru as well.
Myself, for my 40th bday I'm considering somewhere in Africa or Australia.

If you are set for Japan, then nothing wrong as I also love that place.
I've been there for Christmas and Cherry Blossoms and would love to go next during Autumn (November).
Summer will be hot and humid with lots of festivals.

msommers
03-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Great... now we're going to have a Japan brag thread to go with the Vegas and Hawaii threads.

Bro, all I'm saying is that if you really are going to enjoy Japan the way it's meant to be, you have to go to Sukiyabashi Jiro

tonytiger55
03-01-2019, 01:46 PM
From Above: We did it pretty cheap, and if you travel with someone and can split accommodation, it can be incredibly cheap.

I agree. But im travelling alone and im ugly.

that hadn't been invented when I was there. Still seems like a hassle, but I'm just old.

Thats a interesting point. I backpacked SE Asia back in the early 2000's. Then it was guidebooks, maps, talking to people and you had to figure stuff out and improvise.

It was simple things like if I got lost, check the time, position of the sun then roughly orientate myself to east, west north south or look for key landmarks on the map.
I remember arriving at a small town in Thailand and being asked by the mini bus driver where to be dropped off. I was not sure and it was very late. I said train station, from there I could orient myself on the map. It turned out my hostel was also full and I had to figure out a alternative place to go. I had no idea. I found a place by going to the pub and talking to some other travelers.

Now its pretty easy, map on the smartphone, look at hostel/hotels online as you go along.

taemo
03-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Bro, all I'm saying is that if you really are going to enjoy Japan the way it's meant to be, you have to go to Sukiyabashi Jiro

just call 12 months in advance but best 30,000 yen ever!

joking aside, I've tried sushi omakase from a 1 michelin star in Tokyo and Kyoto and while a cool experience, I wouldn't consider them the best sushi that I've ever had.

ExtraSlow
03-01-2019, 02:01 PM
I slept in a vacant lot in some small town in Japan because I hadn't booked a hotel and got distracted taking pictures of shit until around midnight.

This was back when pictures meant film too.

msommers
03-01-2019, 02:08 PM
I slept in a vacant lot in some small town in Japan because I hadn't booked a hotel and got distracted taking pictures of shit until around midnight.

This was back when pictures meant film too.

Hope you got a great picture of the T-Rex

flipstah
03-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Hope you got a great picture of the T-Rex

He was sitting front row for David vs. Goliath

BerserkerCatSplat
03-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Japanese convenience store food is better than some Calgary restaurants.

I'd take a 7-11 Japan chicken teriyaki and egg salad sandwich over 100% of Calgary food truck menus.

7-11 sandwich+ melon bun+ Calpis = perfect travel day meal.

Meh... there are plenty hotels that will go for $90 or less a night with private bathroom. No need for capsule unless you want to see what sleeping in a coffin is like.

Yep, AB Hotel and APA have lots of <$100/night rooms with double beds and private washrooms. The rooms are small but who gives a shit, you're not going to Japan to hang around the hotel room.

flipstah
03-01-2019, 04:48 PM
I'd take a 7-11 Japan chicken teriyaki and egg salad sandwich over 100% of Calgary food truck menus.

7-11 sandwich+ melon bun+ Calpis = perfect travel day meal.

Yep, AB Hotel and APA have lots of <$100/night rooms with double beds and private washrooms. The rooms are small but who gives a shit, you're not going to Japan to hang around the hotel room.

APA is good chain for hotels.

And Lawson's Chicken + 7-11 onigiri = Heaven

max_boost
03-01-2019, 05:44 PM
I'm gonna go back but with my gf who speaks Japanese. Can't fkn wait. Next year sometime.

ExtraSlow
03-01-2019, 05:47 PM
I'm gonna go back but with my gf who speaks Japanese. Can't fkn wait. Next year sometime.

Need someone to carry your bags?

eblend
03-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Just came back from Japan for the 7th time on Wednesday, but I go often, every second year as wife is JDM and we have family over there. I would highly recommend Japan, but it's definitely not a "backpacking" country, not in a traditional sense at least. You can do it relatively cheap, and I have done it myself cheaply before, but that was during my first trip alone, now that I am older and have more $$$ I don't really even bother, just go out and enjoy. Airbnb can get whole apartments for under $100 a night in Tokyo, cheaper if you stay a bit out of the popular areas. Anywhere you go there is like 2-3 different public transit lines, either JR or subway, so it's very easy to get around. I have been all over Japan, most recently to Hokkaido (where I spent 5 days in a hospital with pneumonia :(, but even then highly recommend the hospital haha), so if you need some specific recommendations I can help.

I have also been to Brazil, and I do recommend it, but if you want to see things outside of the big cities, you are going to be in airports a lot, it's a huge country and some of the coolest stuff was way up north, whereas Rio and Sao Paulo are all the way south. Flights weren't expensive, it is more of a backpacking place, but it is NOT cheap! Maybe some food, but between the wife and I for 3 weeks, with 2 of our other friends sharing AirBNBs and stuff, it came out to $14k. We did do lots of different cities and stuff so that def added to the $$

I have not been to Korea but I've been told its one of the less interesting places to visit. Sounds like there's not much to do there except to eat, shop, and drink. I think China gets often overlooked as a travel destination but it's such a large country that there's something there for everyone. It just gets a bad rep from the press.

Been to South Korea, I would skip it, just like you said, not much to do there, spend more time in Japan any day.

Japan was one of the countries I wanted to tip in more than anywhere else. The level of service and general attitude of the people there is not found anywhere else I have ever been. The people were one of my favorite parts of the country. We tried to tip everywhere, sometimes they would accept it, sometimes they wouldn't. The street vendors seemed happy to 'keep the change'. The most expensive restaurant we went to was run by a few guys from San Francisco and they gladly accepted tips. I tipped in Japan more than a lot of other countries, it was just harder to get them to accept so sometimes we would just leave it on the table. Lots of phenomenal Indian food there, surprisingly, and those places also accepted tips.

It's frowned upon, it's a cultural thing. When you tip someone in Japan you are basically saying "here you go you low life, here is you $2 for serving me, I am so much above you". When you tip someone you are basically saying you are better than them. It's the best system in the world if you ask me.

Fun fact: If you travel to Japan on the 787-9 ANA Airlines....their bathrooms have washlet toilets...mind blown! Coming back to Canada is like going back to being a cavemen haha

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8462/7989801606_5b0cc89bb5_b.jpg

BavarianBeast
03-02-2019, 05:55 PM
What are some of the more romantic things to do in Japan? I had to scrap my wife and I’s japense honeymoon last year as I hit my noggin a week before departure, wound up in a Mexican hospital and increased my retardation by a few more points.

Looking to go back this summer and break the bank.

ExtraSlow
03-02-2019, 05:57 PM
One of those little country hot springs Inn places.

eblend
03-02-2019, 08:43 PM
One of those little country hot springs Inn places.

Ryokan is the word you are looking for. Traditional Japanese inn with hotsprings. Stayed in a few in my many times in Japan, they are all over the place, but Hakone area is famous for them. Remember, normal baths in these hotsprings are gender separated, but you can find Ryokans with private cabins with private baths, or just private baths, or baths you can have all to yourself for a period of time.

It's a neat cultural experience, not sure if it's really "romantic"...you sleep on a rolled out futon on top of a tatami mat, very traditional, but if you order the food service (many places it's manditory), a server will come to your room and serve you, they will also come and setup your futons. I do highly recommend them. Keep in mind that some don't accept foreigners...at least back in 2009 when I first went. Nowadays you can book them on booking.com and such so any of those will be safe for that. Keep in mind that they are NOT cheap, and it's not somewhere you probably want to spend more than a couple of nights, it's an experience, not really a hotel. Many of them are in secluded locations so it's not like you go there just to sleep, you are basically there and enjoying the hotsprings and the surrounding gardens, at least some of the nicer ones I stayed at.

Almost every big city has a ferris wheel as well, if you are into that, many places with cool lighting and such for walks, many observation decks in almost every city (usually on top of big skyscrapers), towers in many cities...ton of world heritage sites, many of which are massive beautiful parks to walk around...really depends on what you want your romantic outing to be.

ExtraSlow
03-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Ryokan is the word you are looking for. Traditional Japanese inn with hotsprings. Stayed in a few in my many times in Japan, they are all over the place, but Hakone area is famous for them. that's the word. Yeah.

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2019, 10:11 AM
It's frowned upon, it's a cultural thing. When you tip someone in Japan you are basically saying "here you go you low life, here is you $2 for serving me, I am so much above you". When you tip someone you are basically saying you are better than them. It's the best system in the world if you ask me.

Well they probably hated me then haha. It didn't seem to be unappreciated, and also I've got to believe they are more than aware that the intentions are different coming from an obvious tourist than a local / fellow Japanese person. One of the Indian restaurants we went to even had a tip option. The most expensive restaurant went to (run by guys from SanFran) also gladly accepted tips. Oh well.

What are some of the more romantic things to do in Japan? I had to scrap my wife and I’s japense honeymoon last year as I hit my noggin a week before departure, wound up in a Mexican hospital and increased my retardation by a few more points.

Looking to go back this summer and break the bank.

Go to Hakone and stay in a traditional Ryokan with private in-room Onsen. It's kind of like Japan's Banff, but nicer. That is the impression I got while I was there. I didn't find them expensive either - we stayed at a really nice one, the room was the largest 'hotel' room I've ever stayed in my life (probably 1000 sq ft with multiple rooms), large private stone onsen in the room overlooking a creek, and dinner for 2 nights was 47,520JPY total for the both of us ($566 CAD). IMO that was very reasonable. This was November so high season might be more. Whether that's romantic or not is subjective, but regardless I suggest spending at least one night there for the experience and the Hakone area is worth exploring. There are ultra-luxury ones if you're looking to 'break the bank' haha.

Japan is just the best place ever. We're hoping to go again this fall and side trip Okinawa.

CompletelyNumb
03-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Comparing the most developed country on earth with two other 3rd world countries is tough. Totally different trips.

I did Colombia last fall and had a great time. Cheap everywhere, even for quality. Always felt safe. Food was excellent everywhere but Medellin. If you feel like partying, that was cheap too.

If you want an epic 40th, head up the Himalayas.