PDA

View Full Version : #betteroffwithnotley ?

Pages : [1] 2

AndyL
03-04-2019, 12:03 PM
I doubt many here would agree...

Anyone believe their better off under notley?

This argument about kids out of poverty isn't flying with me - as the poverty line hasn't adjusted to carbon tax inflation.

I'm pretty sure I'm way worse off than under conservatives, at least they'd put their own agencies feet to the fire when needed. I've had nothing but issues the past 3 years with MEP, CFSA, Alberta works etc. I struggle to see how anything's improved, in fact I'm sure it's gotten worse for my family.

How about you?

Tik-Tok
03-04-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm about the same as when the PC's were in power. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Xtrema
03-04-2019, 12:20 PM
I'm about the same as when the PC's were in power. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Ditto.

Neither say they are introducing new taxes. One is taking away a tax and cut cost.

I still don't see how we can get balanced budget by end of next term for either for what's been said so far other than an oil price miracle.

sabad66
03-04-2019, 12:24 PM
I am much better off than i was 4 years ago, but impossible to know if i would have been even better off with PCs.

msommers
03-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Same here. The pipeline not getting built is what is really destroying Alberta. Not sure that is going to change any time soon, regardless of who controls AB.

ExtraSlow
03-04-2019, 12:28 PM
I am not better off.

phreezee
03-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Nobody is better off because Alberta's debt is now forecast to hit $71.1 billion by 2019-20

dirtsniffer
03-04-2019, 12:42 PM
30,000 new government workers in edmonton are better off.

HiTempguy1
03-04-2019, 12:45 PM
I'm not better off. Higher taxes and carbon tax = less money.

Nobody has won except for very poor people who leech off the system.

Tik-Tok
03-04-2019, 12:57 PM
I'm not better off. Higher taxes and carbon tax = less money.

Aren't you a small business? Didn't those tax rates get cut?

asp integra
03-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Much worse off with Notley. Can't wait to vote them out in ~2 months time.

Buster
03-04-2019, 01:21 PM
The entire province is much worse off, yes.

Very few individuals would be able to say otherwise if they include the gov'ts fiscal performance as part of their own balance sheet.

kertejud2
03-04-2019, 01:41 PM
The entire province is much worse off, yes.

Very few individuals would be able to say otherwise if they include the gov'ts fiscal performance as part of their own balance sheet.

Does one need to settle up their share of that balance sheet before they die or move? If not why would you bother including it?

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Sure did.

Buster
03-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Does one need to settle up their share of that balance sheet before they die or move? If not why would you bother including it?

they need to settle it up every time they pay tax.

kertejud2
03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
they need to settle it up every time they pay tax.

Who’s “they” and how does that apply to me? I can leave the province and country tomorrow, why would I include the fiscal performance on my balance sheet? Why would anyone?

WongYue
03-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Who’s “they” and how does that apply to me? I can leave the province and country tomorrow, why would I include the fiscal performance on my balance sheet? Why would anyone?

So I guess Venezuela did a good job fiscally too? For the people that can leave the country that is? :rofl:

phreezee
03-04-2019, 02:12 PM
TIL uprooting and moving is free and really easy to do!

kertejud2
03-04-2019, 02:33 PM
TIL uprooting and moving is free and really easy to do!

Uprooting and moving provinces is indeed easy to do. Any Canadian can do it. You are not tied to your province’s debt. It’s a ridiculous assertion to make.

If it’s hard for you, well I believe that’s where the concept of personal responsibility and hard work comes into play. Only poor, unskilled people who are too lazy to change complain about lack of mobility if traditional talking points are anything to go by.

But seriously, you aren’t in any way personally tied to your province’s or country’s fiscal performance. I cannot stress this enough. You are actually benefitting from Alberta taking on debt rather than taxing you what it cost to not run a deficit.

msommers
03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
I should move to Quebec and go on unemployment while day-trading a TFSA.

Buster
03-04-2019, 02:39 PM

you dont have to do anything.

But a gov'ts obligations impact its citizens obligations. In judging a gov'ts performance, you must include the long term fiscal performance and how it will impact you (or more specifically the average resident. This point is self evident.

Misterman
03-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Small business owners take a good portion of their revenue as income. And Income tax went up. And it doesn't particularly help much to lower taxes by a couple percent, if a small business has largely reduced revenue due to an artificially depressed economy.

Personally I am not better off. Taxes up and income down.

kertejud2
03-04-2019, 02:44 PM
you dont have to do anything.

But a gov'ts obligations impact its citizens obligations. In judging a gov'ts performance, you must include the long term fiscal performance and how it will impact you (or more specifically the average resident. This point is self evident.

But that isn’t what you said. And again, you can walk away from those obligations by changing an address. They absolutely should not be considered as part of any personal balance sheet.

Buster
03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
But that isn’t what you said. And again, you can walk away from those obligations by changing an address. They absolutely should not be considered as part of any personal balance sheet.

Absolutely they should. Any sane person would consider the fiscal condition of the government under which they are living.

Buffet (I'm not a huge fan, but here it is), said something similar recently:

In the public sector, you know, it's a disaster. And, you know, some of the—it's interesting to me when they talk about these relocation problems, you know, and New York and Amazon, all that sort of thing, you know—I—if I were relocating into some state that had a huge unfunded pension plan I'm walking into liabilities. 'Cause I mean, who knows whether they're gonna get it from the corporate income tax or my employees—you know, with personal income taxes or what. But that—that liability isn't gonna—you can't ship it offshore or anything like that. And those are big numbers, really big numbers. And they may come—you can delay a long time. I mean, they—you're getting pushed maybe somewhat. But the politicians are the ones that really haven't attacked it in a good many states. And when you see what they would have to do—I say to myself, "Why do I wanna build a plant there that has to sit there for 30 or 40 years?" Beause I'll be here for the life of the pension plan—and they will come after corporations, they'll come after individuals. They just—they're gonna have to raise a lotta money.

"You can move" is not a reasonable counter to this, because you must also consider the fiscal health of the jurisdiction into which you are moving.

kertejud2
03-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Does Alberta have a huge unfunded pension plan that’s preventing you from investing?

Buster
03-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Does Alberta have a huge unfunded pension plan that’s preventing you from investing?

Worse: an NDP government.

Thaco
03-04-2019, 03:55 PM
i am not a fan of notley, but UCP scares the shit out of me.

Xtrema
03-04-2019, 04:04 PM

I want to vote for UCP but this wishy washy stances scares me. I guess Kenney doesn't want to tell us details until election is call. I need numbers.

Don't know about anyone else, I was way more comfortable with old PC then UCP. May be I have changed but I'm sure it's the party.

sabad66
03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
People only care about public debt when it's convenient for their argument. For example, remember all the uproar from the "conservatives" when Obama was in power? Now, not a single peep about the rising debt especially now that the wealthy donors keep more of their money due to the tax cuts.

If it really mattered that much to the individual, why would anyone move to the US which has a 105% debt to GDP ratio? (for comparison Canada is 90%)
https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/government-debt-to-gdp

ZenOps
03-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Meh *shoulder shrug*.

Its not like that Cortez in the USA talking about 70% to 90% taxation rates. Side factoid: The USA did at one time have a 91% tax rate during Eisenhower.

sexualbanana
03-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Economically, I don't see much of a difference between NDP and UCP. At the very least, the NDP's social views aren't so scary.

HiTempguy1
03-04-2019, 07:19 PM

Not for sole proprietorship's, which make up a huge proportion of private business. Also, compared to the increases elsewhere, the cut even for corporate small businesses was fuck all.

AndyL
03-04-2019, 07:43 PM
So it's pretty much the LGBTQ movement on Twitter that's making this trend then? Or demographics?

Just confuses me - I've never seen anything but claims the UCP is planning changes to all kinds of human rights legislation - but never anything from the party, same as when it was wildrose etc - seems to come from fear mongering more than reality? Maybe I'm confused - but I've never seen outright statements about outlawing anything LGBTQ related. But it's made out like the UCP will have them swinging and burning on crosses on the front lawns if they win...

Thaco
03-04-2019, 08:06 PM
So it's pretty much the LGBTQ movement on Twitter that's making this trend then? Or demographics?

Just confuses me - I've never seen anything but claims the UCP is planning changes to all kinds of human rights legislation - but never anything from the party, same as when it was wildrose etc - seems to come from fear mongering more than reality? Maybe I'm confused - but I've never seen outright statements about outlawing anything LGBTQ related. But it's made out like the UCP will have them swinging and burning on crosses on the front lawns if they win...

kenny is just showing his cards, he is crazy right wing, proposing a lot of shit people dont like, cancelling the school curriculum review, when any parents with a kid in the system knows right now this whole system is doing a HUGE injustice to our kids and setting them up for a whole generation of people who cant even do simple math... Also tax cuts for corporations, clearly he's looking to expand the gap even further between the rich and the poor to buy rich votes and funding., inevitably pushing many of the middle in to the low...

Honestly i have never liked the conservatives (its not really the conservatives, its their supporters who are "blue blue blue" cant think outside the box, never look at individual items, just "blue says it so i support it" drives me nuts, i look at each item for what it is without bias, sometimes i agree with blue, sometimes, orange, sometimes red, sometimes they're all bat shit crazy, like currently), but its blatant now more than ever that they cater to 2 classes, the rich who want to stay there or become more rich, or the poor uneducated who they brainwash to think the red and orange (also social and immigration issues, although, i am sure many of them benefit from social programs largely pushed by those 2 parties) are really what's keeping them down.

Tik-Tok
03-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Not for sole proprietorship's, which make up a huge proportion of private business.

That's pretty ridiculous.

04Terminator
03-04-2019, 09:17 PM
I've voted PC exclusively, but Kenney scares the shit out of me. The 1970s called, they want their cult leader back. I've also been in the industry a long time, sniped out of University for an analyst position for what was Canaccord Capital, and the last eight years as an auditor. I have to say, I have never seen an industry advocate like Notley. Seriously. What I like is she is shrewd and isn't single track, she tackles the economy from all sides. Aside from the high fliers born exclusively out of high oil and gas prices, everyone else I know is doing better. She did a great job managing the downturn.

I like our health care, I like our current diversification path. I like education and social programs. My partner likes her rights.

I'll be voting Notley.

PS, if your proprietorship generates into the higher provincial tax bracket, you are an idiot for not incorporating and enjoying the lowered rates for small business.

Buster
03-04-2019, 09:24 PM
I've voted PC exclusively, but Kenney scares the shit out of me. The 1970s called, they want their cult leader back. I've also been in the industry a long time, sniped out of University for an analyst position for what was Canaccord Capital, and the last eight years as an auditor. I have to say, I have never seen an industry advocate like Notley. Seriously. What I like is she is shrewd and isn't single track, she tackles the economy from all sides. Aside from the high fliers born exclusively out of high oil and gas prices, everyone else I know is doing better. She did a great job managing the downturn.

I like our health care, I like our current diversification path. I like education and social programs. My partner likes her rights.

I'll be voting Notley.

PS, if your proprietorship generates into the higher provincial tax bracket, you are an idiot for not incorporating and enjoying the lowered rates for small business.

probably best to stick with the auditing gig...lol

A790
03-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Likely voting NDP (didn't last go around), but time will tell. I'm still undecided. The conservatives, and their rabid base, are doing a good job of making me want to vote NDP just to spite them.

PS - please lower my corp tax rate so I can take a larger dividend, invest it, and create exactly 0 new jobs... like what every other business owner will do.

HiTempguy1
03-04-2019, 10:10 PM
That's pretty ridiculous.

I mean, the whole tax system is ridiculous. Whether the rules around tax rates for sole props are or are not silly depends on a lot of things. And the corp tax rate was dropped 1% for small business, whoopy ding ya know?

The topic of taxation is frustrating because the whole system needs to be scrapped and simplified.

04Terminator
03-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Kenney is fundamentally a liar. Pretty well everything he has claimed has been a lie. Reminds me of the Donald. Just yesterday, he blamed Alberta's economic downturn on corporate tax rates going up 2%. In the immortal words of HiTempguy1 "whoopy ding ya know?". Really Kenney? It's an insult. But clearly, he is pandering to the lowest common denominator, I can't ever vote for someone like that. It's also quite obvious Notley deeply cares about this province and it's people, and Kenney only cares about himself and power.

dirtsniffer
03-04-2019, 10:41 PM
Many things have scared away investment in Alberta. Higher Corp tax rates is one of them. Started before the NDP took office though.

It's not like the UCP are the only ones fear mongering

https://thetruthaboutjasonkenney.ca/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0pkWGOHa5X8XyNLd6MbSukbH1CYRlEdC9BJ7d0Jc1gEmFpy-2r-TpEaAuB4EALw_wcB

If anyone wants to post some info about how Kenney is crazy right wing or an extreme liar I would be interested in reading it

HiTempguy1
03-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Kenney is fundamentally a liar. Pretty well everything he has claimed has been a lie. Reminds me of the Donald. Just yesterday, he blamed Alberta's economic downturn on corporate tax rates going up 2%. In the immortal words of HiTempguy1 "whoopy ding ya know?". Really Kenney? It's an insult. But clearly, he is pandering to the lowest common denominator, I can't ever vote for someone like that. It's also quite obvious Notley deeply cares about this province and it's people, and Kenney only cares about himself and power.

Small businesses and their taxes are limited to $500k income. The 1% tax rate cut amounts to peanuts in that case.

A 2% tax rate increase on major multinational corporations is essentially 2% off their net margin, we're talking billions of dollars a year. Its apples to oranges, the 2% has certainly scared off investment if the return is only 6-10% to begin with.

04Terminator
03-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Small businesses and their taxes are limited to $500k income. The 1% tax rate cut amounts to peanuts in that case.

A 2% tax rate increase on major multinational corporations is essentially 2% off their net margin, we're talking billions of dollars a year. Its apples to oranges, the 2% has certainly scared off investment if the return is only 6-10% to begin with.

You are assigning certainty to inherently uncertain predictions, for which much better evidence exists of other causes. Its inherently a dishonest strategy, blaming the miniscule uncertain contributor, when we have clear insight into the major contributors.

Another thing, the financial world does not run on arbitrary amounts. "Peanuts and billions of dollars" aren't valuable descriptions. "Earnings were a billion dollars last year" is meaningless without context. That's why we would say something like "3.2% growth in consolidated revenue, beating forecasts by 0.5%"

The short version is: Don't be a Jason Kenney.

90_Shelby
03-05-2019, 08:04 AM
If anyone wants to post some info about how Kenney is crazy right wing or an extreme liar I would be interested in reading it

I’d like to see examples or quotes as well.

thinmyster
03-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Many things have scared away investment in Alberta. Higher Corp tax rates is one of them. Started before the NDP took office though.

It's not like the UCP are the only ones fear mongering

https://thetruthaboutjasonkenney.ca/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtvPjBRDPARIsAJfZz0pkWGOHa5X8XyNLd6MbSukbH1CYRlEdC9BJ7d0Jc1gEmFpy-2r-TpEaAuB4EALw_wcB

Haha that website is hilarious and also very dumb. The headlines exaggerate every article linked or are linked to other far left websites. Pressprogress.ca? ummm.. lol

Buster
03-05-2019, 08:31 AM
You are assigning certainty to inherently uncertain predictions, for which much better evidence exists of other causes. Its inherently a dishonest strategy, blaming the miniscule uncertain contributor, when we have clear insight into the major contributors.

Another thing, the financial world does not run on arbitrary amounts. "Peanuts and billions of dollars" aren't valuable descriptions. "Earnings were a billion dollars last year" is meaningless without context. That's why we would say something like "3.2% growth in consolidated revenue, beating forecasts by 0.5%"

The short version is: Don't be a Jason Kenney.

It also doesn't run on "social license" which Notley believed. Stupidly.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 08:34 AM
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-ndp-government-appoints-an-enemy-to-the-alberta-energy-regulator
#betteroffwithnotley

Tik-Tok
03-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Whether you like the UCP or not, they need to fire their social media manager. First they started the while #betteroffwithnotley thing, and now this, lol

https://twitter.com/UniteAlberta/status/1102768192798121985?s=09

They should maybe stick to newspapers and bus benches.

04Terminator
03-05-2019, 08:57 AM
It also doesn't run on "social license" which Notley believed. Stupidly.

Of course it does, it's why we vote.

And why do you hate pipelines? Notley and Trudeau Using social license as one facet for supporting our pipelines is perfectly legitimate.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 09:07 AM
proof is in the pudding as they say. so far it has had 2 project die, 2 on life support and 1 in the emergency room.

Misterman
03-05-2019, 09:20 AM
The conservatives, and their rabid base, are doing a good job of making me want to vote NDP just to spite them.

Ironically this is almost the same reasons I will vote for Kenney. The NDP's wing nut base, firing out non stop accusations without anything to support them.

A790
03-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Ironically this is almost the same reasons I will vote for Kenney. The NDP's wing nut base, firing out non stop accusations without anything to support them.

Oh yea, can't argue there. Politics is a shit show these days.

Maybe I'll vote green.

Brent.ff
03-05-2019, 09:35 AM
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-ndp-government-appoints-an-enemy-to-the-alberta-energy-regulator
#betteroffwithnotley

Can we stop posting links to Corbellas opinion articles as fact?

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Whether you like the UCP or not, they need to fire their social media manager. First they started the while #betteroffwithnotley thing, and now this, lol

https://twitter.com/UniteAlberta/status/1102768192798121985?s=09

They should maybe stick to newspapers and bus benches.

They have some poor intern stakeout a waiting area all day to get some shocking footage and don't even both to put ominous music to it? What a waste.

ZenOps
03-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Really, not even a dun dun duhhh...

Buster
03-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Of course it does, it's why we vote.

And why do you hate pipelines? Notley and Trudeau Using social license as one facet for supporting our pipelines is perfectly legitimate.

It didn't work. It was never intended to work from Trudeau's perspective. The concept was intended to hoodwink a naive politician in Notley.

killramos
03-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Lol what even is this thread?

Didn’t recent polls universally put Kenney as more personally popular than Notley across every major area of Alberta? Not UCP vs NDP. Kenney vs Notley.

Even social welfare Edmonton liked Kenney better.

I don’t think the guy is particularly charismatic but I don’t really see issue in any of his provincial policies.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Can we stop posting links to Corbellas opinion articles as fact?

So he didn't get appointed to the AER? Or Krause doesn't think he is anti Canadian oil and gas?

Brent.ff
03-05-2019, 11:08 AM
So he didn't get appointed to the AER? Or Krause doesn't think he is anti Canadian oil and gas?

Corbella is the worst side of media. She never gets the response from the other side, so just gets to pick and choose what she says, and then as it's an opinion article gets to infer whatever she feels like. She writes articles like that just to rile people up. And it works. Putting someone who has worked the other side of O&G policy into a role on the board of directors (its not like he's the executive director of it) is hardly a show stopper, and actually might bring some new thinking to the old-boys club..

Misterman
03-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Oh yea, can't argue there. Politics is a shit show these days.

Maybe I'll vote green.

If I wasn't worried about a possibility of the NDP getting in again, I'd probably throw my vote away to write something in.

lasimmon
03-05-2019, 11:24 AM
I don't think anything really changes for me personally after the election. I don't think Kenney would be any more successful at doing anything.

Not saying i'll vote Notley though.

HiTempguy1
03-05-2019, 11:41 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-ndp-government-appoints-an-enemy-to-the-alberta-energy-regulator

Anyone who votes Notley this go around is a fucking retard.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 11:45 AM
https://www.facebook.com/notes/united-conservative-party-of-alberta/ndp-appoints-foreign-funded-activist-to-regulate-alberta-oil-gas/410287162873008/

Sounds like a real champion. For anti Alberta crusaders

killramos
03-05-2019, 11:56 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-ndp-government-appoints-an-enemy-to-the-alberta-energy-regulator

anyone who votes notley, ever, is a fucking retard.

ftfy

Buster
03-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Such a stupid and easily attacked move by the NDP shows just how stupid they are - and you can't just turn that type of stupid off in other areas of policy or government.

- - - Updated - - -

ftfy

savage.

"you must spread some reputation around...blah blah blah"

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Corbella is the worst side of media. She never gets the response from the other side, so just gets to pick and choose what she says, and then as it's an opinion article gets to infer whatever she feels like. She writes articles like that just to rile people up. And it works. Putting someone who has worked the other side of O&G policy into a role on the board of directors (its not like he's the executive director of it) is hardly a show stopper, and actually might bring some new thinking to the old-boys club..

yep, just like how Berman was a great help to the province. I can totally see the value in this now :thumbsdow

HiTempguy1
03-05-2019, 12:03 PM
ftfy

I'm still banking on this short term pain being a long term gain in Alberta staying anti-socialist for the next 50 years. I'll be the first to admit voting for them in the first place was stupid in hindsight, but I think the ends may still have justified the means. I blame them for a lot, but under the PCs we certainly would be close to the same amount of debt. Wildrose, hard to say. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". Learned a lot these past 4 years.

bjstare
03-05-2019, 12:13 PM
ftfy

:werd:

nzwasp
03-05-2019, 12:36 PM
So if UCP gets in we will see him removed from his post at the AER?

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Of course. Only after we pay his severance that Notley agreed to

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Of course. Only after we pay his severance that Notley agreed to

Would be a dumb move. If there’s a friendly majority on the board, what benefit would there be to boot him where he would be available to lobby against the sector?

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Why would we let someone who is so clearly against us into our boardrooms? You admit he shouldn't have a say, so why should we let him know exactly how things are going. Once he leaves he will surely use what he's learned against us

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Why would we let someone who is so clearly against us into our boardrooms? You admit he shouldn't have a say, so why should we let him know exactly how things are going. Once he leaves he will surely use what he's learned against us

What would he learn that is so worrying?

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Who cares? Maybe nothing, maybe something. Why take the chance?

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Who cares? Maybe nothing, maybe something. Why take the chance?

Chance for what? That there are in fact major shortcomings in the AER’s policy and enforcement?

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 03:28 PM
ya that's what I said.

There are no benefits from having him there. So he can't lobby against it? He's probably more interested about how he can limit the AER and promote NEB involvement so that his crony buds can tie up internal projects in court. Maybe we should pay them all too so they don't lobby against us.

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 03:46 PM
ya that's what I said.

There are no benefits from having him there. So he can't lobby against it? He's probably more interested about how he can limit the AER and promote NEB involvement so that his crony buds can tie up internal projects in court. Maybe we should pay them all too so they don't lobby against us.

So the concern is that things are as bad as people lobbying against us say they are, despite the industry’s claims otherwise?

Might as well take notes from SNC and Quebec on how to be corrupt if this is the position we’re going to take.

killramos
03-05-2019, 04:11 PM
I Honestly think whoever works at the AER is relatively irrelevant. I feel like there is a natural level of disdain for industry when you work for a regulator.

Brent.ff
03-05-2019, 04:17 PM
An effective counterpoint to the standard Corbella crap

https://energi.news/markham-on-energy/ed-whittingham-a-champion-of-the-new-oil-patch-not-an-enemy-of-albertas-energy-industry/

Misterman
03-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Would be a dumb move. If there’s a friendly majority on the board, what benefit would there be to boot him where he would be available to lobby against the sector?

Wow! So it's better to pay someone a salary as blackmail money to not fuck with our resource sector at a government level? :facepalm:

A790
03-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Wow! So it's better to pay someone a salary as blackmail money to not fuck with our resource sector at a government level? :facepalm:

How do you even draw that conclusion from the article?

Misterman
03-05-2019, 04:30 PM
How do you even draw that conclusion from the article?

Might want to recheck what I was replying to.

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 04:39 PM

I don’t think you know what blackmail is.

Misterman
03-05-2019, 04:49 PM
I don’t think you know what blackmail is.

Yeah "Hush Money" is a better term for your insane scenario.

A790
03-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Might want to recheck what I was replying to.

lol yep fair enough. my bad.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 04:53 PM
An effective counterpoint to the standard Corbella crap

https://energi.news/markham-on-energy/ed-whittingham-a-champion-of-the-new-oil-patch-not-an-enemy-of-albertas-energy-industry/

interesting article. sounds like he is better than berman. promoting low carbon initiatives in the oil sands is good. lobby against kxl and energy east are inexcusable.

Brent.ff
03-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Or look, an article that actually weighs both sides and gets more then one viewpoint (which is all Corbella ever does)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/michal-moore-ed-whittingham-aer-board-pembina-1.5043783

kertejud2
03-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Yeah "Hush Money" is a better term for your insane scenario.

Well he’s an “enemy” who oversaw $8M foreign intervention into the pipeline debate and will bring down the multi-billion dollar industry from the inside, but my scenario is insane.

“Why take the chance” on an arms length regulator who might tell the public what’s going on. Yeah, I’m the insane one.

04Terminator
03-05-2019, 07:06 PM
It didn't work. It was never intended to work from Trudeau's perspective. The concept was intended to hoodwink a naive politician in Notley.
Yeah, let's not make up conspiracy, like spending $7 billion Federal tax dollars supporting Alberta's oil industry in 2018 and intending it to "fail". That's Kenney style dishonesty, don't stoop to lowest common denominator level.

dirtsniffer
03-05-2019, 07:10 PM
No I'm pretty sure it was because of the trade deal with China to get access to the oil they are producing in Canada is part of it.
https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/31/justin-trudeau-kinder-morgan-pipeline-china-did-he-fear-being-sued

16hypen3sp
03-09-2019, 03:30 PM
This thread is something else. One hell of a read that's for sure.

I vote in protest against the governing NDP because of the PPA bungle. They may as well have stacked all of our tax money up, poured gasoline over it and lit a match. All because of their climate ideology. Ram it thru at all costs. That was BAD governing. There have been other mistakes as well but that one is up there.

No NDP vote because of PPA's.

/endthread

sexualbanana
03-09-2019, 06:48 PM
What happens if the UCP takes the election and they don't change much in terms of tax policies?

Tik-Tok
03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
What happens if the UCP takes the election and they don't change much in terms of tax policies?

The same thing that happened when Trudeau reneg'd on election reform. Nothing.

pheoxs
03-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Well one of their platform points is scraping the carbon tax but that’s now a federal requirement so ... take a guess

Tik-Tok
03-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Well one of their platform points is scraping the carbon tax but that’s now a federal requirement so ... take a guess

He's promised to spend millions of dollars taking it to court with Sask. though.

kertejud2
03-09-2019, 07:48 PM

They aren’t really planning on changing much with their income tax policies. They’re already blaming the NDP for leaving the books in too bad a shape to go back to a flat tax, so that’s not happening. It also means they acknowledge the progressive tax as better for the government’s bottom line.

Buster
03-09-2019, 09:37 PM
They aren’t really planning on changing much with their income tax policies. They’re already blaming the NDP for leaving the books in too bad a shape to go back to a flat tax, so that’s not happening. It also means they acknowledge the progressive tax as better for the government’s bottom line.

Or they share the same misjudgements.

Maxt
03-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Get the unemployment down so you have more people working, then you can lower income tax.

dirtsniffer
03-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Why not lower the personal exemption? Jk.

It's all about lowering the corporate rate. We need to get this going.

16hypen3sp
03-10-2019, 10:32 AM
I was pretty bummed when Kenney said there would be no changes to personal income tax rates. But after the NDP's wild spending ride, Kenney is probably right. 4 years of NDP taxing & spending & rampant deficits followed by 20 years of having to pay it back. Gen X paid back Getty's debt. Now it's Gen Y's turn to pay back Notley's.

I really wonder what it's like to drive a provincial treasury into the ground like that. It must be a real 'success at failing' feeling.