PDA

View Full Version : DSM question

three.eighteen.
10-03-2002, 10:07 PM
just wondering how they handle with that AWD stuff, or are they a better dragstrip car?

ecstasy_civic
10-03-2002, 10:14 PM
i only know from the ones that ive driven but they handle way different than a regualr car. just my 2c
but they do handle good

three.eighteen.
10-03-2002, 10:17 PM
like 4wd understeer? is the car more tossable and drifty or is it a glued to a traintracks type feeling...my bmw has a nice neutral feel to the steering, push the limit and the car still goes in the right direction, just a little more sideways

Ekliptix
10-03-2002, 10:19 PM
The guy who does Solo2 w/ his awd Talon seems to stick like crazy(R rated tires though).

Davetronz
10-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Well, I will give you good idea of how they handle compared to other things I have driven.
1992 Nissan Pickup - Handled like a farm truck, and believe it or not, it was. Bad rear wheel traction and no PS, HORRIBLE POS.
1992 Chev Cavy Z24 - A lot better handling, but had a tough time with fast corners with the FWD. Often lost grip on tight corners.
1989 Jeep Cherokee - HORRIBLE POS but a winter truck, it literally "hopped" its corners and you couldnt take anything at more than 40km without risk of flipping! The Worse 4x4 I have ever driven as far as traction.
1992 Camaro RS 5.7L - Alright car, bad suspension but horrible rear wheel traction. Had trouble driving her in the rain, just a beast is what she is. The poor RW traction also meant that fast corners were a no no without risk of spinning out... Took a gradual bend at 140km/h once in her and did a 580 in the middle of the road infront of a fire truck, dont worry everyone was ok.

1996 Talon TSi AWD - AMAZING traction, I have only heard the wheels chirp once around a curve! Soooo amazing car! Amazing launches (no wheelspin), amazing cornering, and a fantastic turning radius. Best car I have ever driven for handling. Only thing that really compared was a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8 T....

5.9 R/T
10-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Well the talon I had (90 AWD) seemed to handle ok. It wasn't amazing, it had a huge turning radius (for comparison the truck has a tighter turning radius then this car did) probably due to the awd system, but it did all right for a 12 year old car. Obviously traction was good, but the brakes could have been a little better/bigger. Overall it was an O.K. car, nothing really steller about it, but it didn't do anything badly (except maybe U turns!) either.

James
10-04-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
Took a gradual bend at 140km/h once in her and did a 580 in the middle of the road infront of a fire truck, dont worry everyone was ok.

That would be some crazy Shit! ........They are Horrible in the Rain! I ran into a Friend of mine From HS a couple weeks back and it was Raining a little bit out and he wanted to Race my little MR2 in his Beast '95 Camaro Z28, i knew he wouldnt be able to get any traction, it was so funny, i smoked him, i could see him going basically sideways when i was already going 100, lol, Sucker.:tongue:

Davetronz
10-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by James

That would be some crazy Shit! ........They are Horrible in the Rain! I ran into a Friend of mine From HS a couple weeks back and it was Raining a little bit out and he wanted to Race my little MR2 in his Beast '95 Camaro Z28, i knew he wouldnt be able to get any traction, it was so funny, i smoked him, i could see him going basically sideways when i was already going 100, lol, Sucker.:tongue:
Yea it was scary, my buddy almost shit himself. The good thing is that I didnt hit anything, not even a curb, I negotiated the 580 in the middle of a two lane road and ended up only having to turn the wheel (and start the car again cus it stalled) a little bit... Then talk to the fireman.... :dunno:

DSM Power
10-04-2002, 05:56 PM
What I dig about my car is accelerating into a curve and still being able to hug the road. :D The turning radius thing though... :nut:

three.eighteen.
10-04-2002, 05:59 PM
bmw's can do that too:thumbsup: cept for like 90 degree turns where you can about max 60-70 and thats the limit of traction, ay faster would be drift