PDA

View Full Version : Sick while on vacation... Get vacation days back?

eblend
03-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Hi guys,

Went to Japan a few weeks ago and while there got sick and was hospitalized for 5 days. Didn't think it was a thing but someone said I might be able to get the 5 days credited back to my vacation and those 5 days marked as sick. Is that really a thing? I asked hr and their said there is no policy but my manager would credit it with a doctors note, but my manager, who works in the states, basically said it's an interesting situation and we should talk about it on phone when he is back.. So I feel like it will be a "go pound sand" response when I talk to him Monday. My buddy in the provincial government said it's absolutely a thing and mandated by the government as a human rights thing... But I have no idea if it's all bs or a real thing. Anyone have any input? Want to have something to say in my meeting if it's a legitimate ask.

dirtsniffer
03-09-2019, 10:29 PM
No way I'd ever bring that up with my boss. Entitled government employee is entitled.

dj_rice
03-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Wow....I've seen it all now...

spikerS
03-09-2019, 11:13 PM
I thought that if you were sick while taking VA days, you were just sick on vacation...

But, i shit you not, my manager about a month ago sent us an email saying that if we were sick while taking a VA day, to just code it as sick and save your VA days for an actual vacation when you can enjoy it. Blew me away!

Shlade
03-10-2019, 12:23 AM
You were sick on vacation. Get over it, and move on.

The_Rural_Juror
03-10-2019, 12:58 AM
But what if OP caught Aids.

Disoblige
03-10-2019, 01:17 AM
Yup it is a thing. My company has a policy that talks about what happens when you get sick on vacation time and how it is credited.

Anywho, the main thing is if it is a battle you want to fight. It may look petty depending on the situation.

Maxx Mazda
03-10-2019, 07:51 AM
The fact that your boss says “let’s talk about it on Monday” you better hope when you walk into the room there’s not HR and a security guard joining him.

bjstare
03-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Haha of course the government employee says it's a "human rights thing". Classic public sector, my tax dollars hard at work.

D'z Nutz
03-10-2019, 07:59 AM
But what if OP caught Aids.

Did he catch it during office hours or on vacation?

Haha of course the government employee says it's a "human rights thing". Classic public sector, my tax dollars hard at work.

I think he meant it's a human resources thing.

My company has this policy. I don't work for the government. This policy is probably more common than you think and you guys just don't realize it, as evident by this thread. Might want to bring it up with your HR person.

JRSC00LUDE
03-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Redacted!

D'z Nutz
03-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Union entitlement is the only way you'll get that.

I'm not in a union either (thank fucking god).

B.Spilner
03-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Jesus, do you guys get a cake when you get over the cold/flu too?

JRSC00LUDE
03-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Somehow I didn't see your reply before mine @D'zNutz duly noted and removed. That's interesting and hey, I stand corrected.

Still, stupid Unions! Haha

D'z Nutz
03-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Still, stupid Unions! Haha

Agreed! Unions only cater to the lowest common denominator and themselves. But that's another discussion.

Not sure why there's so much aversion to this question, especially if it's actually a policy for some companies; it's just a perk of the job.

thinmyster
03-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Seeing as you were hospitalized it will definitely add legitimacy to your claim. I think they will probably side with you.

eblend
03-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Not sure why there's so much aversion to this question, especially if it's actually a policy for some companies; it's just a perk of the job.

Agreed, not sure why all the hate, it is obviously a thing, as crazy as it may sound. No I am not part of any union and don't work in any kind of a government.

Seeing as you were hospitalized it will definitely add legitimacy to your claim. I think they will probably side with you.

That's my thinking as well, it wasn't like I got drunk and got sick, this was a legitimate emergency situation.

At any rate, as strange as it may sound, I myself am on the "tough shit" side of this situation as many here are, but there are additional details, which I will provide later, which made me ask the question in the first place, I just don't want to put them out in the public until I see what happened tomorrow with my discussion.

killramos
03-10-2019, 10:27 AM
Getting to use all your vacation days. Novel concept.

adam c
03-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Are sick days even a thing anymore? It’s all flex or vacation days for when you’re sick now as people abuse them

This is an interesting concept, I wonder if we can request additional weekend days if we’re sick on Saturday or Sunday

speedog
03-10-2019, 10:41 AM
There are many non-union workplaces that have this sick while on vacation policy in place. Personally, if I were sick while on holidays then I would consider it just bad luck. But there are many people who will readily take advantage of such a policy and those people are most likely the ones who will take a sick day just because they want a day off - it's all about them.

codetrap
03-10-2019, 11:32 AM
Agreed, not sure why all the hate, it is obviously a thing, as crazy as it may sound. No I am not part of any union and don't work in any kind of a government. I think it starts with jealousy, with a dollop of stubborn arrogance. "I don't have that why should they!" Also, it seems like there are a lot of people out there that simply like to see others suffer so they can feel better about themselves.

This type of thing is quite common. It's been available in every company I've ever worked for. I also make sure I work for companies that value their staff and don't treat them as a cheap commodity. Ensuring staff get adequate vacation ensures they stay productive and don't burn out. I think it's great that a lot of companies recognize the difference between sick time and vacation time. It's a sign of a good company culture. I think they also forget that paid sick leave is legislated in Alberta, so functionally its no different to use and have a nice feel good perk.

ExtraSlow
03-10-2019, 11:37 AM
If you company has it, that's a great perk. But if your company doesn't, I sure wouldn't complain about it.

A790
03-10-2019, 01:03 PM
I think it starts with jealousy, with a dollop of stubborn arrogance. "I don't have that why should they!" Also, it seems like there are a lot of people out there that simply like to see others suffer so they can feel better about themselves.

Beyond reeks of this lately.

RX_EVOLV
03-10-2019, 02:20 PM
Interesting situation...

I think I would allow my staff to credit his/her vacation days back if this happens to them, as long as we are talking about sick like hospitalization, not catching a cold...

CompletelyNumb
03-10-2019, 03:31 PM
Never in my life would I have ever imagined this scenario or that work benefit. Colour me shocked.

If your job offers it however, take it. I'm a vocal supporter for employees using up every cent of possible benefits allotted to them, it's all calculated in your salary anyways. If you can sneak a few more vacation days from getting a doctors note, do it.

95EagleAWD
03-10-2019, 03:44 PM

The whole country is like this. If I can’t have it, nobody can.

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one. Unions changed the world. That’s why we have weekends, and benefits. You don’t think an employer would take all that shit away if they could? Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.

max_boost
03-10-2019, 04:10 PM
If you company has it, that's a great perk. But if your company doesn't, I sure wouldn't complain about it.

ExtraSlow is right again.

npham
03-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Wouldn't this be the case where your manager allows you to use your sick days, instead of vacation days? That way, you get to keep your vacation days later on.

JRSC00LUDE
03-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one.

There could be some beneficial trade Unions still, perhaps. Government Unions? Run by trash.

- This opinion brought to you by 12 years Government Union employment including direct involvement in transitioning a sector from Executive Government to a new Crown Corp, negotiating the creation of a new Collective Agreement and enforcing it for 4 years on the Union side provincially. In my current career, I was hired to build the local headquarters for
a massive national Union on the proviso we didn't reveal who our client was. They specifically hired our non-union business because they couldn't afford union labour. That experience should me how crooked and hypocritical the rest of them are.

So we don't all hate unions because we haven't been in them ;)

eblend
03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Wouldn't this be the case where your manager allows you to use your sick days, instead of vacation days? That way, you get to keep your vacation days later on.

Unless this is a trick question....this is exactly what this whole thread is about.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it starts with jealousy, with a dollop of stubborn arrogance. "I don't have that why should they!" Also, it seems like there are a lot of people out there that simply like to see others suffer so they can feel better about themselves.

This type of thing is quite common. It's been available in every company I've ever worked for. I also make sure I work for companies that value their staff and don't treat them as a cheap commodity. Ensuring staff get adequate vacation ensures they stay productive and don't burn out. I think it's great that a lot of companies recognize the difference between sick time and vacation time. It's a sign of a good company culture. I think they also forget that paid sick leave is legislated in Alberta, so functionally its no different to use and have a nice feel good perk.

I agree with your post 100%....starting with the first line.

I am with you about picking the right company to work for, I believe mine is one of those types of companies, but being a multinational, the rules that apply to Canada don't always to USA, the whole idea of a Flex day is foreign to them for example, and since my new boss is from there I don't think he values the culture we have down here or understands it, but more on that later, will see the outcome tomorrow morning.

D'z Nutz
03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Unless this is a trick question....this is exactly what this whole thread is about.

I don't think he read anything in this thread.

revelations
03-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Lots of union bashing too, probably from people who haven’t spent any time in one. Unions changed the world. That’s why we have weekends, and benefits. You don’t think an employer would take all that shit away if they could? Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.

I've been with 3 unions in my time. They are mostly useless in the modern day and age, and with workers who are mobile and take initiative.

Unfortunately they are necessary in some industries and occasions still - I am looking at you, WestJet and how you pissed off the average worker.

We have much stricter labour laws in Canada than we did in the 1920s. Unions are nowhere near as necessary now.

JRSC00LUDE
03-10-2019, 05:34 PM
On topic - hopefully OP gets the deal, the best thing about hearing how many non Union businesses seem to offer such a policy is it further underlines how they're not needed to extort their members under the guise of "protection". Good luck OP!

95EagleAWD
03-11-2019, 05:45 AM
I've been with 3 unions in my time. They are mostly useless in the modern day and age, and with workers who are mobile and take initiative.

Unfortunately they are necessary in some industries and occasions still - I am looking at you, WestJet and how you pissed off the average worker.

We have much stricter labour laws in Canada than we did in the 1920s. Unions are nowhere near as necessary now.

I somewhat agree, and I definitely agree that unions are needed in airlines. ALPA is a great example of that. All Air Canada and WJ strike action (or close to) is good examples of why unions are good for them.

We may have stricter laws now, but look south. Decades of union busting, and erosion of those laws has led to shitty working conditions for a big chunk of the population down there. That's a direct result of union busting; it won't happen tomorrow, but it can happen.

Remember, I did end it with this...

Are they perfect? No. But they’re pretty good for a lot of people.

Misterman
03-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Wow the butthurt on this is hilarious. This is standard practice a lot of places, but it isn't even a perk. You get nothing extra for it. Yay! Got my vacation days back........... But now I have less sick days to use for the year. It's all even at the end of the year regardless how you code your time off. And honestly, I'd rather have the sick days left over, because you can use sick time whenever the hell you need it. Doesn't need to be requested and approved like vacation time. So if I was sick on vacation, I'd just let it lie, and then use my sick time as more days off whenever I feel like it.

But anyone crying about the way OP codes his time should just be happy they get vacation and sick time at all. I'm a private contractor and get neither of either. If I'm not at clients site, I don't get to invoice.

gwill
03-11-2019, 08:03 AM
some peoples companies have awesome benefits for time off. If my wife wanted to she could take up to 5 months off work every year with little issue.

It's crazy and stupid but great to know if she needed the time off she could get it.

95EagleAWD
03-11-2019, 08:04 AM
It's crazy and stupid

No, no it isn't. The LESS time I spend at work, all things considered, the happier I am. If I could comfortably take 5 MONTHS off, of course I would. Why the hell would you go to WORK instead of going ANYWHERE ELSE.

Mitsu3000gt
03-11-2019, 08:52 AM
This isn't nearly as uncommon as some of you think - I think some people are just jealous of the policy haha. It's not even a perk the way it's often handled.

Some companies will even give you unpaid leaves of absences for as much as a year and guarantee your job back when you return. Some companies still have nap rooms.

Happy employees are way better workers, everyone wins - good companies understand this.

killramos
03-11-2019, 09:07 AM
No, no it isn't. The LESS time I spend at work, all things considered, the happier I am. If I could comfortably take 5 MONTHS off, of course I would. Why the hell would you go to WORK instead of going ANYWHERE ELSE.

Some people obviously don’t hate what they do nearly as much as you lol

Misterman
03-11-2019, 09:17 AM

I feel bad for anyone that hates their life enough to love their job. lol

bjstare
03-11-2019, 09:27 AM

I think he meant crazy and stupid from the perspective of the business.

Also, FWIW there's no way I'd take 5 months per year off. I want to progress my career as fast as possible, can't do that while effectively working PT.

dirtsniffer
03-11-2019, 09:35 AM
I guess to be fair my company has the same policy. just couldn't resist taking a jab at the government worker saying it was a human right. If i was in the hospital I would probably bring it up, something smaller then nah. Heck all my sick days I just work from home.

95EagleAWD
03-11-2019, 09:36 AM

I do this, lol.

https://instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/3db42becbe9790d99fa135e53fe12092/5D2450E7/t51.2885-15/e35/35344213_216860655809439_6904135146358702080_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

But I woulnd't if I didn't have to.

Manhattan
03-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Looking at this logically let's say OP had planned the vacation to Japan but got sick BEFORE he got on the flight and spent 5 days hospitalized at the nearest hospital at home and did not leave the country. I think most people would be more inclined to say 'yeah he didn't take his vacation as planned he should have some or all of his vacation days back'. The situation is only changed slightly with OP being hospitalized in Japan instead of in his home country. It's actually a much worse situation to be hospitalized in a foreign country. That's the line of reasoning I would go with and I think management would be able to understand the circumstances.

killramos
03-11-2019, 09:43 AM
I do this, lol.

https://instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/vp/3db42becbe9790d99fa135e53fe12092/5D2450E7/t51.2885-15/e35/35344213_216860655809439_6904135146358702080_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

But I woulnd't if I didn't have to.

So, if I am understanding correctly, did you try to brag about how cool your job is AND how little you want to be doing it. All in one post?

Csb

95EagleAWD
03-11-2019, 09:51 AM
So, if I am understanding correctly, did you try to brag about how cool your job is AND how little you want to be doing it. All in one post?

Csb

It's hard work. But yes, it is pretty cool.

SOAB
03-11-2019, 10:04 AM
this is definitely NOT common practice. the thought has never even crossed my mind that this would even be a thing!

don't get me wrong, I would totally use it if I could.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
I'm always blown away by any workplace that has a specific "number" of sick days. never made sense to me.

rx7boi
03-11-2019, 10:12 AM

max_boost needs to teach a Beyond course on how not to be a salty bitch cuz I've never heard a bad word out of that guy's post.

#happylife

On the topic of sick days, we don't have a set number but you can anticipate a meeting with the boss if you're over 7 days or something like that.

spikerS
03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
I'm always blown away by any workplace that has a specific "number" of sick days. never made sense to me.

we officially have "12 sick days" a year but I don't think it really gets enforced unless they are trying to walk someone out the door. I think I have used 12 sick days in my time at this company in 13 years. Having said that, I know people who have used way more than 12 in a year consistently, and nothing has been said and no pay has been lost.

Swank
03-11-2019, 10:51 AM
I would say the main reason is to try to curb or limit abuse of the time off. There are many people that use up every sick day every year here, doctor's notes aren't required. "Sick" is so subjective.

Sugarphreak
03-11-2019, 11:01 AM

dirtsniffer
03-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Governments....

revelations
03-11-2019, 11:32 AM

I was with Enmax and we had 3 months of 'short term' leave per year.
This meant that, I could call in sick, 3 days in a row without a Dr. note. for a CUMULATIVE of 3 months a calendar year.

With that amount of sick time, I was calling in sick for anything remotely resembling. Some of the 'lifers' there were proud of having taken few, or no sick time of their decades of employment, meanwhile I was calling in sick for a headache and making some of these guys wonder if they werent screwing themselves..... (ie coming in to work sick, macho, etc.)

It was all in the employee contract - plain to see.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Yeah, some of the warriors who never take sick days are stupid. They make other sick and generally lower the productivity of the entire team.

I also firmly believe that if your team can't function without you, your manager isnt doing thier job, and if you are the manager, you shouldn't be.

Having a single point of failure like that is a sure sign of a weak organization.

max_boost
03-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I have not been sick since Aug 2017 and utterly convinced I'll be deathly ill on my vacation in June.

Misterman
03-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Only way to stop people from abusing sick days is to have a standard they have to abide by.

bjstare
03-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Yeah, some of the warriors who never take sick days are stupid. They make other sick and generally lower the productivity of the entire team.

I also firmly believe that if your team can't function without you, your manager isnt doing thier job, and if you are the manager, you shouldn't be.

Having a single point of failure like that is a sure sign of a weak organization.

Very true. I work in an industry where the norm is to work very long days, put in time on weekends, etc, and by extension lots of people are reluctant to take sick days. I make a point of taking sick days when I'm sick, and make a point to tell (ask?) team members to take sick days, or at least work from home, when they're sick. We're all worse off if some chump decides to be "tough" and spread a cold around the office.

Mitsu3000gt
03-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Many places have a budgeted amount, but I've never worked anywhere that actually cares or counts them - if you're sick, you stay home and get better. That benefits the entire company because you aren't coming in making everyone else sick (a pet peeve of mine).

Disoblige
03-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Going to work sick is one thing I hate, but the worst is when someone is sick and they're hacking and making those gross throat phlegm noises in addition to being sick.

holden
03-11-2019, 12:03 PM
So it we take a sick day but get all healthy by noon, but don't go back into the office, do we have to use up half a vacation day?

I think I heard one time that the benefits (insurance) company is actually that one that pays you out on sick days. The employer pays a bulk amount for all it's employees ahead of time, obviously something less than # of employees x max sicks days, because it's unlikely everybody will use all their sick days.

eblend
03-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Additionally because you are in a union, I'd pursue it fully.

I'm not in the union at all, I think someone assumed that or mentioned it earlier in the thread, but that doesn't apply to me at all.

At my place we get some number of sick days, I don't know how many, but I think in my 3 years here I have used two or three total, so I don't know what the policy actually is, nothing I ever have to worry about. At my old job it was 3 consecutive days where you could go without a sick note, at 4th day you needed a sick note and contact insurance, as it becomes a short term disability and the insurance company starts to pay vs your employer.

Anyways, talked to the boss this morning, and he said that he had to follow up with a few HR people and gave me the low down. In the states, for our company, it's absolutely not a thing, but in Calgary (each office has it's own HR), the top HR lady said it's absolutely a thing and that I should get credited, so I am getting credited my vacation days back. I looked at the calendar and it seems like my sickness was from Feb 14th to the 19th, which was a long weekend, so really I only get two days back, despite my boss being willing to give me 5 days, but I think he wasn't aware that it fell over the weekend.

Anyways, I will get 2 days back so that's pretty good, considering I didn't think this was even a thing. And like a few people pointed out, good companies provide all kinds of perks for their employees, and I work at one of these, so we have nap rooms, showers, breakfast at work etc, no complaints from me.

And I do love my job, and I look forward to coming every day, my team is great, we shoot the shits often, we all get along, doesn't feel like work really, despite getting lots of shit done. If I had unlimited vacation like some places do, I wouldn't take it all, like someone mentioned, you take advantage of that policy, you will not progress quickly in your career, simply because you are part time at best. Sometimes on vacation I look forward to going back to work, but maybe it's just me and my job, definitely wasn't the case when I worked at the government.

dandia89
03-11-2019, 01:16 PM
i think people scoffing at it like it's such a stupid idea are the people that are apart of a poor work culture, or generally have flexible work schedules that doesn't really effect them. There are way too many times people just move on not confront an uncomfortable topic because they don't want to look like the squeaky wheel.

TurboMedic
03-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Always funny union bashing in these types of threads. I have the ability to do this as well, and it has nothing to do with entitlement. Yah its a perk of the job. But I work in health care and do have limited sick time, and attendance management if you're absent too much (and that line is really low). I'll tell you what I don't have, I don't have bonuses, I don't have christmas parties, I don't have profit shares, etc. So its all a trade off.

And you don't have to like unions, and you don't have to be in a union, but even when you're not in one, you benefit from them. Your private sector non union jobs will have things in place to be comparable to a unionized job, for competitive sake. Don't think for a second that these "cushy government jobs" wouldn't be a shit show without unions. The government is a terrible employer.

dirtsniffer
03-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Not really the point of this thread, or the derail topic, but I'm pretty sure that apples to apples private industry doesn't compete with government jobs.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Not really the point of this thread, or the derail topic, but I'm pretty sure that apples to apples private industry doesn't compete with government jobs. There are a lot of government jobs that compete directly with private industry. Governments have a lot of "general office" type jobs, accounting, IT, technicians etc.

freshvibes
03-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Wow the butthurt on this is hilarious. This is standard practice a lot of places, but it isn't even a perk. You get nothing extra for it. Yay! Got my vacation days back........... But now I have less sick days to use for the year. It's all even at the end of the year regardless how you code your time off. And honestly, I'd rather have the sick days left over, because you can use sick time whenever the hell you need it. Doesn't need to be requested and approved like vacation time. So if I was sick on vacation, I'd just let it lie, and then use my sick time as more days off whenever I feel like it.

Bingo.

We're allocated 15 sick days + 15 vacation days every year. The sick days carry over and any unused vacation days gets paid out at the end of year. We have guys that use up everything they have and guys that won't use any of it. The boss doesn't care how it's spent since it'll all be paid out eventually.

dirtsniffer
03-11-2019, 10:21 PM
There are a lot of government jobs that compete directly with private industry. Governments have a lot of "general office" type jobs, accounting, IT, technicians etc.

Sorry I meant that generally that private companies can't compete with the public sector regarding total comp

Sugarphreak
03-12-2019, 02:47 AM

rx7boi
03-12-2019, 08:40 AM
I never understood why sick days carried over. You should only use em if you need to and IMO it's not something that needs to accrue over time unlike vacation entitlement.

I know some nurses that have 6 months of sick time banked up over years and it's pretty ridiculous but I guess some job "perks" make more sense than others.

jwslam
03-12-2019, 08:51 AM
I never understood why sick days carried over. You should only use em if you need to and IMO it's not something that needs to accrue over time unlike vacation entitlement.

I know some nurses that have 6 months of sick time banked up over years and it's pretty ridiculous but I guess some job "perks" make more sense than others.
It's a pretty good perk if you end up on disability I guess?

Off note: we should have a poll to see who is OK with using sick days as flex days.

D'z Nutz
03-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Sick days are carried over where I work. Since I never get sick and I've been here for 17 years, I've hit the max and literally cannot accrue anymore. I have 490 hours of 100% coverage and 420 hours of 70% coverage (and 28 hours of "family illness").

The last time I used sick days was in September when I got hit by a car on the way to work. The day after the accident I had originally scheduled as a vacation day, but had to use a sick day while recovering instead :rofl:

ExtraSlow
03-12-2019, 09:00 AM
I guess one legit way to use up all that accumulated sick time is if you get a serious accident or illness. Using all that up before you have to start going to short-term disability would be great, and I think probably a lot less HR paperwork too.

dandia89
03-12-2019, 09:24 AM
It is a case by case thing IMO. I agree that some places you wouldn't want to speak up.

However it doesn't always indicate you having a poor work culture or bad flexibility. For me it is the opposite... my employer typically has my back. If I really need a day off, even if I have no sick days or vacation time they will still figure out a way to help me out. So I don't need to get super petty with my vacation hours.

In my case it is more like I don't want to be a squeaky wheel for the sake of being a squeaky wheel. I don't like it when people make my life hard for no reason, so I am not going to go out of my way to make other peoples life hard over something so trivial. Claiming sick time on your vacation honestly sounds like a hassle, and I prefer to be focused on the big picture.

That is just my take on it anyway. Again, depends on your situation more than anything.

This is a good point. I think I'd act the same, because I don't think it matters as much to me. I never really use my vacation time and I have the flexibility to work at home. At the same time, I'd understand if my co-worker who doesn't have the same flexibility went and asked. I wouldn't think less of him or think he's squeezing the company. Maybe that's his 'big picture'. Not sure where he's at. The replied on this thread really surprised me how judgmental some people can be.

Misterman
03-12-2019, 09:33 AM
It's a pretty good perk if you end up on disability I guess?

Off note: we should have a poll to see who is OK with using sick days as flex days.

It depends on the system really. If an employer sets up a use it or lose system for sick days, then by all means you better use them whether you're sick or not. If your company just has a policy to not show up to work sick, no questions asked, then it's kind of unethical to abuse that and use it for time off.

The problem is employers fear of conflict. They come up with these silly policies like being allowed 7 sick days a year, when nobody can control how often or how long they get sick for. It's a broken premise right from the get go, and sets up the employee to abuse it and use every one of those allowable sick days. Whereas if you just had a policy of allowing employees to stay home when they are sick, and not putting a cap on the amount of time. Then you'd have the large majority of employees doing exactly that, and a few bad apples that are taking 20 sick days in a year. Even letting the abusers slide, your overall sick time cost is lower. But if I was an employer and had an employee abusing that, I'd be having a meeting with them that would involve them either proving they had cancer or being fired. However most employers are afraid to address this, so they come up with the prior mentioned use it or lose it policies that hurt everyone and cost more money in the long run.

HiTempguy1
03-18-2019, 02:06 PM
I'd do it. I think it's a bit silly that due to luck of the draw, I'd need to take my vacation time to be sick.

Should you not take a sick day if you are hungover from the night before? What about if you broke your arm doing something stupid and missed a day of work because of it?

I guess my problem with not taking the sick time, is that you are basically categorizing different types of "sickness", which seems silly.

Maximum amounts of sick days are absolutely necessary. Great way to spot problem employees. I RARELY take sick days, I took some at the beginning of the year as the cold knocked me down hard.

colsankey
03-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Am i alone in thinking sick and hungover are not even remotely the same? I saw someone earlier mention taking a sick day for a headache, and now a sick day for hung over?

lasimmon
03-18-2019, 02:28 PM
I stay home when I'm sick. Its just work. People aren't dying if I stay home. Important things can still be communicated by email/phone so whats the big deal?

My CEO sends people home who come to work sick. Fuck off with getting the rest of us sick because of your pride.

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Am i alone in thinking sick and hungover are not even remotely the same? I saw someone earlier mention taking a sick day for a headache, and now a sick day for hung over?

Lots of people go to the emergency room with hangovers and headaches from hangovers, and they get seen by a doctor too - it's quite ridiculous, but our tax dollars pay for it all day long.

I agree with you that anything self-induced (and not contagious) should not be a reason to miss work or under-perform at work. If you know you are useless when hungover, don't get hammered on a work night. A sick day for a hangover is the same as just deciding not to come into work that day in my mind - that would be a vacation day.

Disoblige
03-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Lots of people go to the emergency room with hangovers and headaches from hangovers, and they get seen by a doctor too - it's quite ridiculous, but our tax dollars pay for it all day long.
Faith in humanity, lost.

Mitsu3000gt
03-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Faith in humanity, lost.

My GF works in triage at one of the major hospitals in the city, people even take ambulances for hangovers because A) they think they will get seen faster if they arrive via ambulance (you don't) and B) there is no collections/recourse, even if they get billed for the ambulance ride. Sometimes they get a saline drip (which is presumably what most of them want), other times they just get to sit in a chair and sleep it off, but the doctor has to see them either way.

ExtraSlow
03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
I agree with you that anything self-induced (and not contagious) should not be a reason to miss work or under-perform at work. Like injuries from Motorcycle accidents?

freshvibes
03-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Sick days are encouraged to be accumulated in the event of a serious accident or illness so that you'd have 100% of your regular income vs going on short term disability which only pays 55% of your income.

Abusing sick days may give you short term satisfaction but in the long run you're just taking money out of your pockets if you ever needed it.

lasimmon
03-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Sick days are encouraged to be accumulated in the event of a serious accident or illness so that you'd have 100% of your regular income vs going on short term disability which only pays 55% of your income.

Abusing sick days may give you short term satisfaction but in the long run you're just taking money out of your pockets if you ever needed it.

Well I’ve never worked somewhere where sick days carry over so...

spikerS
03-18-2019, 10:01 PM
same. I can't even carry over vacation days. I either use them, or lose them.

dj_rice
03-18-2019, 11:02 PM
same. I can't even carry over vacation days. I either use them, or lose them.

So I'm currently on vacation right now and will probably need to do a root canal or tooth extraction. Can I get those recovery days back for it? Serious question, I know my work doesn't have this policy whatsoever as I work in the dealership trade so theres no such thing. But for curosity asking

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Like injuries from Motorcycle accidents?

Most people don't intentionally get into a motorcycle accident, so no those are not the types of things I am taking about. I guess I should have been more clear but I was more referring to drugs/alcohol and the like, or you are tired because you stayed up all night so you call in "sick" instead of using a vacation day.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Most people don't intentionally get into a motorcycle accident, so no those are not the types of things I am taking about. I guess I should have been more clear but I was more referring to drugs/alcohol and the like, or you are tired because you stayed up all night so you call in "sick" instead of using a vacation day.

I guess if any company had a policy like that they'd need to be pretty clear.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2019, 10:06 AM
I guess if any company had a policy like that they'd need to be pretty clear.

You can't ever prove it, so it doesn't really matter either way - people do it regardless and over time you just start to learn who the deadbeats are. There's always at least one in every workplace in my experience.

It's a big problem with AHS. Large numbers of nurses call in "sick" every long weekend, weekends in the summer, on holidays, etc. Nothing anyone can do about it so the system gets abused big time. You don't need a doctors note or anything either if it's just a few days at a time.

rx7boi
03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
You can't ever prove it, so it doesn't really matter either way - people do it regardless and over time you just start to learn who the deadbeats are. There's always at least one in every workplace in my experience.

It's a big problem with AHS. Large numbers of nurses call in "sick" every long weekend, weekends in the summer, on holidays, etc. Nothing anyone can do about it so the system gets abused big time. You don't need a doctors note or anything either if it's just a few days at a time.

Works out for my wife who gets double time when her colleagues call in sick. She'll get calls for OT from time to time which is just an extra shift but it can be brutal to work two shifts in a row though.

What I will say is that nurses have a high rate of burnout and it's not an easy job so I won't sit on my ivory throne and tell them they shouldn't call in sick.

100% agree that you start learning who doesn't pull their weight because their sick days only ever fall conveniently on Fridays and Mondays.

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Works out for my wife who gets double time when her colleagues call in sick. She'll get calls for OT from time to time which is just an extra shift but it can be brutal to work two shifts in a row though.

What I will say is that nurses have a high rate of burnout and it's not an easy job so I won't sit on my ivory throne and tell them they shouldn't call in sick.

100% agree that you start learning who doesn't pull their weight because their sick days only ever fall conveniently on Fridays and Mondays.

Haha yeah my GF does the exact same thing when she's not the one making the calls to try and get people to come in. You only get double time for OT on certain days though, assuming it works the same as what I am exposed to (otherwise it's still time & a half). It used to be so plentiful that she almost only worked for 1.5-2X but they cracked down on it big time and there are a lot more nurses now who want it.

HiTempguy1
03-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Broke my ankle today, was supposed to take tomorrow off. Damn straight I switched it to a sick day ;)

killramos
03-21-2019, 01:33 PM
I always shake my head when friends claim they can take Friday off “sick” for a camping trip. Usually because of the way their union works 90% of their year is “blacked out”. Then they usually complain about how their careers are going nowhere.

Yea unions rock lol.

Also I don’t get sick days. Somehow the world hasn’t stopped spinning.

TurboMedic
03-21-2019, 04:08 PM
I always shake my head when friends claim they can take Friday off “sick” for a camping trip. Usually because of the way their union works 90% of their year is “blacked out”. Then they usually complain about how their careers are going nowhere.

Yea unions rock lol.

Also I don’t get sick days. Somehow the world hasn’t stopped spinning.

huh?

killramos
03-21-2019, 05:21 PM
huh?

Smaller words?

rx7boi
03-22-2019, 10:14 AM
:rofl: sick day for a weekend camping trip and another sick day for the Monday hangover

What times we live in

killramos
03-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Exactly.

eblend
03-22-2019, 11:44 PM
Man did this thread ever derail, to be fair I knew I was opening a can of warms haha.