PDA

View Full Version : Ford prepaid maintenance not covering scheduled maintenance?

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 08:49 AM
I bought a Fiesta ST in 2014 and one of the packages they had was the ford prepaid maintenance that supposedly covered all my maintenance to 100k as well as some large items like brake pads, clutch, spark plugs.

https://www.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/service/ESP_FMPPBrochure_E.pdf

Today I took my car in at 90k and it needed a lot of the big services and they claim none of it is covered even though it’s all regularly scheduled maintenance. They’re saying the brake service, transmission service, spark plug change, are all not covered even though their own document says even says plugs are.

After complaining the service manager offered to cover to plugs and the transmission fluid but I still have to pay for the brake service and something else I can’t remember at the moment.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Seems bullshit to sell a package that includes all scheduled maintenance and then claim stuff that is in my owners manual isn’t covered

P_D
03-11-2019, 09:15 AM
I had the same package with my Edge. It included the spark plugs, trans service, however i don't recall the brakes being included.

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 09:23 AM
I had the same package with my Edge. It included the spark plugs, trans service, however i don't recall the brakes being included.

My confusion comes from this:

FMPP COVERAGE
Covers all required scheduled maintenance for Ford vehicles,
as outlined in your vehicle’s Owner’s Guide
†.
Includes coverage of 8 wear items as required, due to normal
wear or defect:
• Brake pads and linings • Shock absorbers
• Brake rotors • Spark plugs • Wiper blades
• Clutch Disc (manual transmission only)
• Engine belts, coolant hoses/clamps/hose seals
• Light bulbs (excludes LED & HID lamps and headlamps
except when PC Plus! plan is purchased)
Coverage begins at the time of plan purchase and ends at the
selected time or distance travelled limitation (whichever occurs
first); time and distance travelled limitations are calculated
from zero kilometres and the warranty start date (whichever
occurs first).

The first bit, to me, makes it sound like it covers all the required maintenance in my owners manual and when I booked the service it was only for the oil change but when I arrived they said I'm due for a bunch of things and then claimed it wasn't covered.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 10:06 AM
I can't help, but I always assumed that those prepaid packages much be a rip-off somehow, or why would the dealerships push them so hard?

SOAB
03-11-2019, 10:24 AM
dealerships push pre-paid maintenance because it helps to build a relationship with the customer, and also to get the customer into the habit of bringing their vehicles to the dealership in hopes that it continues even after the warranty period is up. customers can also roll the maintenance costs into their financing if they wanted.

they may end up making more money from it if the customer does not end up getting all their maintenance (doesn't drive it enough, lots of highway miles so no brakes needed, etc) but that is the gist of the programs.

spikerS
03-11-2019, 10:25 AM
I can't help, but I always assumed that those prepaid packages much be a rip-off somehow, or why would the dealerships push them so hard?

+1

with how cheap rotors and pads are, and how simple they are to swap, I would rather do it myself.

Now, clutch service...depending on the package price, may be worth it.

Having said that, if you did indeed purchase that package, and they are claiming you have to pay for the brakes and such, I would be raising hell. It kinda seems like they are saying that to try to get you to pay for it, and negotiating on it to make it seem like they are doing you a favor. I would be demanding they show you where in your package that it does not include them, because what you bought seems to say they do...

Perfect Dark
03-11-2019, 10:29 AM
When I bought my Explorer they tried to push this package on me and I definitely remember saying that things like brakes would be covered.

I declined it right away so never actually read up on it but sounds about right for a greasy dealership to deny it after saying that it was included.

94boosted
03-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Call Ford Customer Care Canada and open a file right away, sounds like some BS to me.

Rocket1k78
03-11-2019, 11:01 AM
I was pushed to buy this to on my 18 f150 and the finance guy 100% said it covered the brakes and plugs

max_boost
03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Sounds mis-leading then. Like getting life time free oil changes but you have to go with the comprehensive service packages :dunno:

revelations
03-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Holy fuck, can the dealers be any less honest? Selling you a contracted service and then, reneging on that - even written and signed - contract.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 11:12 AM
I think human traffickers are more trustworthy.

Tik-Tok
03-11-2019, 11:13 AM

They like to have people come in to get their service done as much as possible, so that they're sitting around the showroom checking out the new vehicles while they wait for their shuttle ride.

Everything a dealership does, is all about getting you into the showroom, with salesman circling you like sharks.

googe
03-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Yeah, never buy those

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Call Ford Customer Care Canada and open a file right away, sounds like some BS to me.

I did as soon as I got home, but the lady couldn't get a hold of the service manager while I was on hold so she said she'll call me back tomorrow by the end of the day. That doesn't help me at all because I guarantee if I have to pay for it when I pick up my car I'm never seeing a dime back.

She also said something weird on the phone. She basically said that if customer care and the dealership disagree that the dealership service manger has the final say. So basically they can just decide not to honor the package and there's nothing Ford Canada will do.

Tik-Tok
03-11-2019, 11:47 AM
I did as soon as I got home, but the lady couldn't get a hold of the service manager while I was on hold so she said she'll call me back tomorrow by the end of the day. That doesn't help me at all because I guarantee if I have to pay for it when I pick up my car I'm never seeing a dime back.

She also said something weird on the phone. She basically said that if customer care and the dealership disagree that the dealership service manger has the final say. So basically they can just decide not to honor the package and there's nothing Ford Canada will do.

Then you take them to court, since you have a signed document.

94boosted
03-11-2019, 01:30 PM
I did as soon as I got home, but the lady couldn't get a hold of the service manager while I was on hold so she said she'll call me back tomorrow by the end of the day.

This back & forth BS can sadly take weeks, I know from personal experience with GM.

That doesn't help me at all because I guarantee if I have to pay for it when I pick up my car I'm never seeing a dime back.

I've successfully had money refunded from a dealer a couple weeks after paying for service that I shouldn't have been charged for.

That is indeed weird.

Then you take them to court, since you have a signed document.

I've had some success with a simple negative review on Google Reviews or Dealer Rater, some dealerships care more than others about negative reviews.

Swank
03-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Just when I thought dealerships couldn't get greasier, that's f'n brutal.What's next, buying a car and then they don't let you have the car?

andyg16
03-11-2019, 01:46 PM
I've never tried it myself but I've heard Twitter is a good way to get their attention. Anything that will gain bad publicity for them is sure to get some sort of swift response

max_boost
03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Just when I thought dealerships couldn't get greasier, that's f'n brutal.What's next, buying a car and then they don't let you have the car?

Brutal. Although the Beyond Ballers who have bought the MB one vouch for it.

revelations
03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Yes, this has happened on /b before.

Rat Fink
03-11-2019, 02:28 PM

chongkee_
03-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Which dealership is this?

Mitsu3000gt
03-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Literally everything a dealership tries to sell you aside from the car (and sometimes the car haha) is a scam, especially if you have to pay up front for it.

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 02:48 PM
I’m no longer with Ford, but you are getting screwed. It does cover those items. When I was a tech I had a Ford rep come to our dealership and encouraged us all to work that system to the edge of its limits to give the customer the best service for their money and increase billable shop hours. You could come to the dealership on every oil change of yours and mention brake noise and streaky wipers and you will get a brake caliper service and new wiper blades every time.....and the tech gets paid extra time to service the caliper slides, etc and for the brake inspection. It’s win/win on both sides and it’s beyond me that a service manager would pull that crap with you unless they are trying to “double dip”. (Get reimbursed by Ford and charge you at the same time).

It seems to be a matter of service staff who need a learning lesson from Ford Motor Company. 100% complain.

Thats whats confusing, up to this point every service has literally been, 'we noticed your wipers were streaking so we replaced them for free because its covered anyways'. Not sure if its just a new service manager or what changed. But I have a ticket number with service Canada plus printed out the maintenance package straight from Ford Canada's site so we'll see what happens.

Which dealership is this?

I'll wait to post to see if things get resolved or not.

Literally everything a dealership tries to sell you aside from the car (and sometimes the car haha) is a scam, especially if you have to pay up front for it.

While I do agree for most dealership packages they're trying to screw you, I researched this a lot before buying my car and found quotes for every service appointment and it came out cheaper paying it up front because it included the major service at 90k which is nearly 2k in work apparently.

Rat Fink
03-11-2019, 02:49 PM

ThePenIsMightier
03-11-2019, 02:50 PM
I’m no longer with Ford, but you are getting screwed. It does cover those items. When I was a tech I had a Ford rep come to our dealership and encouraged us all to work that system to the edge of its limits to give the customer the best service for their money and increase billable shop hours. You could come to the dealership on every oil change of yours and mention brake noise and streaky wipers and you will get a brake caliper service and new wiper blades every time.....and the tech gets paid extra time to service the caliper slides, etc and for the brake inspection. It’s win/win on both sides and it’s beyond me that a service manager would pull that crap with you unless they are trying to “double dip”. (Get reimbursed by Ford and charge you at the same time).

It seems to be a matter of service staff who need a learning lesson from Ford Motor Company. 100% complain.

This and +Rep.
OmG how are you resisting burning that place to the ground when they are pulling this crap!!? So brutal.

Rocket1k78
03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
If they dont cover you post the name up, theres quite a bit of ford owners on here......

Like getting life time free oil changes but you have to go with the comprehensive service packages :dunno:
Just found out last year that in order for us to keep getting free oil changes on my wifes toyota she has to have a service done every 16,000km(she was at 50,000km when they required this) The service is purely a visual inspection of various things and the best part is its $200.00. I was pretty pissed so i told the SA that instead of the free oil changes i'm basically paying $100.00 per oil change(intervals of 8000kms) and he just shrugged his shoulders.

That doesn't help me at all because I guarantee if I have to pay for it when I pick up my car I'm never seeing a dime back.
Not necessarily true, my sister bought a used bmw and the first owner bought the tire warranty which covered rim/tire damage. I took it out and sure enough i popped the tire on calf robe, called bmw and had it towed to royal oak and they said i had to pay for the tire because her warranty doesnt cover that. I paid $700.00 for the tire and when i got back to her place we looked up the warranty coverage and sure enough it said it was covered. She called bmw the next day and they refunded me the money.

revelations
03-11-2019, 03:50 PM
NO DOUBT if they are doing this to one person (the FORD serive dept), they are doing it to hundreds of other people as well.

Maclin FORD ?

Mitsu3000gt
03-11-2019, 04:15 PM
If you crunch the numbers the prepaid maintenance is worth it IF you get all the items covered that you are supposed to and IF you are the type that wouldn’t do that work yourself.

Those big IF's are exactly why it's not automatically a good deal. If it's not guaranteed, the gamble likely isn't worth it. Relying on an already shady dealership to honor things like that can be like getting blood from a stone.

However from your explanation it sounds like this should be a win/win, so in this particular case it sounds like the dealership is trying to double dip, which is not the least bit surprising haha. Seems like it's worth perusing if there is significant cost savings to be had.

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 05:05 PM
So now I'm getting BS conflicting answers but both are trying to get out of covering some things.

They agreed to cover the spark plugs since apparently is included in my maintenance plan so the work not covered:

Transmission fluid exchange - 216$
Brake service - service calipers, clean brake dust, lube contact points, chamner pads -157.55$
Brake fluid flush - 153$
Major Emissions air intake/induction system service - 369.95$
Alignment - 149.95$ (understandable, this probably wouldn't be covered.)

Ford Canada is claiming service work (which they are saying is different than maintenance work) is not covered. And the differentiation is that in the case of the brakes they didn't replace anything, they only took it apart and serviced it. But that makes no sense since I was charged for both a brake, and transmission flushes to replace the fluids. They also said the work done wasn't actually required it was just optional, which contradicts that the dealer said I was due for all this.

Maclin Ford is simply saying none of this is covered under my plan and have no explanation beyond that. They printed off the recommended service intervals for my car and said this is what is covered. Except what is bullshit is the brake service and the intake/fuel service isn't even listed as required for my kms. So they're pushing shit on their own schedule that isn't aligning with ford. The transmission fluid is on my owners manual schedule but not until 240k kms (and I'm only at 90k).

So basically what I'm left with is Maclin Ford is full of shit and pushing maintenance intervals that aren't even required to get more work out of people.

NO DOUBT if they are doing this to one person (the FORD serive dept), they are doing it to hundreds of other people as well.

Maclin FORD ?

Yeah.

Rat Fink
03-11-2019, 07:15 PM

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 07:17 PM
So, lets see if I have this straight. You bought a plan that covers maintenance on the Ford schedule, but Maclin suggested (tricked) you into getting it on an accelerated schedule, and possibly items that are not ever parts of Fords recommended maintenance, and because of that, it's not covered by anything.

Maclin sounds amazing.

Rat Fink
03-11-2019, 07:19 PM

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 07:31 PM
To add, I’m sorry you got such terrible service. It’s stories like this that truly piss me off, and was one of the driving factors on a very long list of driving factors to why I left automotives for something better.

I’m done with Ford at this point. I’ll sell the car in the spring and never touch one again.

The spring in my wiper arm was seized 2 weeks after I bought the car new so it always streaked on the driver side. Every single appointment I complained about it and they kept just putting a tiny bit of grease on it and saying it was fixed, 500km later it’d be useless again. The second I rolled past 60k and warranty was over they said the arm was defective and wanted 200$ to replace it.

I used to go to metro ford and my a/c stopped working because a line cracked, they had the the car for 2 days fixing it and when I got it back someone had stolen my accessport cable for my Cobb tuner. The service manager said I must’ve lost it and no one would ever steal something from a customer car. Because you know, cables routed up to the windshield mount just walk away.

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Start buying vehicles that are out of warranty. That's the secret.

pheoxs
03-11-2019, 07:55 PM
Start buying vehicles that are out of warranty. That's the secret.

Yeah I know. I just got excited when the fiesta ST came out and was one of the few turbo hatchback options out there that wasn’t a VW.

Guess I’ll post a token what to buy thread in a few months and the ignore everyone’s advice and buy a veloster

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Guess I’ll post a token what to buy thread in a few months and the ignore everyone’s advice and buy a veloster

Buster
03-11-2019, 09:05 PM
As mentioned the MB one is good and a significant saving.

schurchill39
03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
As I was reading this I was betting it was Maclin Ford. No surprise that I was right. That dealership is nothing but crooks.

rx7boi
03-12-2019, 08:44 AM
I think human traffickers are more trustworthy.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7tTfL-DtpXk/maxresdefault.jpg

rage2
03-12-2019, 09:08 AM
As mentioned the MB one is good and a significant saving.
MB dealers also push bullshit non OEM extras for unsuspecting customers, but at least they ask first and you can say no.

Dealerships don't make that much money selling cars. They make all their money servicing cars. There's no control on profit margins on the sales side aside from volume, but there is a ton of room with stuff like this to beef up profit margins on service.

Buster
03-12-2019, 09:11 AM
MB dealers also push bullshit non OEM extras for unsuspecting customers, but at least they ask first and you can say no.

Dealerships don't make that much money selling cars. They make all their money servicing cars. There's no control on profit margins on the sales side aside from volume, but there is a ton of room with stuff like this to beef up profit margins on service.

Do you do any extras over your prepaid on the MB? I don't. Just drop it off and pick it up.

rage2
03-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Do you do any extras over your prepaid on the MB? I don't. Just drop it off and pick it up.
I don't, no.

shakalaka
03-12-2019, 09:38 AM
That's one thing I love about BMW's with maintenance/service included for the first 4 years with every car. No headache at all. For our Audi, I negotiated the service package into the sales price and so far that has been problem free as well.

OP should definitely start posting bad reviews about Maclin Ford wherever he can. Also consider Go Public not because of the money factor but the principle factor. I am sure once the story goes public you will find several other people that have been screwed over like this.

94boosted
03-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Maclin Ford is simply saying none of this is covered under my plan and have no explanation beyond that. They printed off the recommended service intervals for my car and said this is what is covered. Except what is bullshit is the brake service and the intake/fuel service isn't even listed as required for my kms. So they're pushing shit on their own schedule that isn't aligning with ford. The transmission fluid is on my owners manual schedule but not until 240k kms (and I'm only at 90k).

So basically what I'm left with is Maclin Ford is full of shit and pushing maintenance intervals that aren't even required to get more work out of people.

This is the sad truth, a lot of dealers (not just Ford) have their own recommended service schedule with some truly laughable service intervals, your trans fluid change example is about par for the course.

The maintenance program you purchased is through Ford Canada and therefore effectively follows the service schedule in your owners manual not the bullshit one that Maclin made up out of thin air.

pheoxs
03-12-2019, 09:56 AM
This is the sad truth, a lot of dealers (not just Ford) have their own recommended service schedule with some truly laughable service intervals, your trans fluid change example is about par for the course.

The maintenance program you purchased is through Ford Canada and therefore effectively follows the service schedule in your owners manual not the bullshit one that Maclin made up out of thin air.

Pretty much. The service adviser told me 'The maintenance schedule in your owners manual is just a generic one from Ford, it will be the same in your car as an F-150, we have the actual service schedule for your car' .... bullshit. I asked them to email their schedule to me, lets see if they actually will.

lilmira
03-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Pretty much. The service adviser told me 'The maintenance schedule in your owners manual is just a generic one from Ford, it will be the same in your car as an F-150, we have the actual service schedule for your car' .... bullshit. I asked them to email their schedule to me, lets see if they actually will.

Sorry, am I talking to a generic service advisor or an actual service advisor?

94boosted
03-12-2019, 04:31 PM

:rofl: Some SA's are gold

max_boost
03-12-2019, 04:34 PM

I don't, no.

That's how it should be. I know BMW isn't really free as it's built into the price but the customer might as well consider it free since it's not out of pocket and simply drop off & pick up.

Any reason why more manufacturers don't do this or would it trend that way in the future? :dunno:

rage2
03-12-2019, 05:43 PM
That's how it should be. I know BMW isn't really free as it's built into the price but the customer might as well consider it free since it's not out of pocket and simply drop off & pick up.

Any reason why more manufacturers don't do this or would it trend that way in the future? :dunno:
Because you're cutting off a huge profit center for the dealership by doing this.

revelations
03-12-2019, 06:32 PM

LOL no .... .its something they just make up as they go along.

Rat Fink
03-12-2019, 08:38 PM

ShermanEF9
03-12-2019, 08:38 PM
I had really good luck with Advantage Ford when I lived in Calgary... Just sayin'

dirtsniffer
03-13-2019, 09:59 AM

This is one of the biggest issue with dealerships. They create their own service schedules and present them like they are manufacturers recommendations. They told me I need to replace my transfer case fluid due to mileage. but gm doesn't everrequire it unless it is severe service. Now they call me and tell me "i'm due" for servicing. It's a huge misrepresentation.

pheoxs
03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
This is one of the biggest issue with dealerships. They create their own service schedules and present them like they are manufacturers recommendations. They told me I need to replace my transfer case fluid due to mileage. but gm doesn't everrequire it unless it is severe service. Now they call me and tell me "i'm due" for servicing. It's a huge misrepresentation.

Yup, its complete bullshit. After the fact when I kept questioning why they're missrepresenting things as required I got told 'well if you didn't want the work you should've refused it'. Fucking piece of shit attitude.

Any suggestions on what all I can do? I understand amvic and BBB are basically useless but I have plenty of time so anyone have suggestions on places I can file complaints or leave reviews. I know it really won't do anything but it'll make me feel better.

revelations
03-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Yup, its complete bullshit. After the fact when I kept questioning why they're missrepresenting things as required I got told 'well if you didn't want the work you should've refused it'. Fucking piece of shit attitude.

Any suggestions on what all I can do? I understand amvic and BBB are basically useless but I have plenty of time so anyone have suggestions on places I can file complaints or leave reviews. I know it really won't do anything but it'll make me feel better.

Go online and leave piss poor reviews on your SM, as well as theirs and then escalate it to Ford Canada.