PDA

View Full Version : What to buy next thread again....

s2k_boi
03-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry about this. Having a hard to deciding what to do next as I will have my 2 kids and niece to drop off for child care in the mornings starting this fall. Will require 3 car seats to fit. It will be either 2 rear facing plus 1 forward facing OR 2 forward and 1 rear facing configuration.

Currently have my MB C450 and was originally looking at the GLC43 but unsure if it will fit. Don't need a mini van as my wife is doing the pick up and she drives one.

Please provide feedback or what you're driving that fits 3 car seats in one roll. If anyone has a smaller vehicle with 3 car seats - can you post a pic of what it looks like? I'm running fairly slim car seats too (Diono's)

TIA

ExtraSlow
03-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Three cars eats in one row is very tough. Pickup truck and minivan are the obvious answers.

Tik-Tok
03-11-2019, 12:06 PM
http://workabouthouse.com/blog/2015/7/6/how-to-fit-3-carseats-in-a-subaru-xv

It's a Subaru XV, but it notes that the back seat is 54.2", and doable with their combination of seats (including 2 diono's). So look for a minimum of 54.2" in a vehicle.

bjstare
03-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Gls 63

Strider
03-11-2019, 01:07 PM
You probably already know, but the Dionos take a ridiculous amount of fore/aft space in rear facing configuration. I can't fit one behind the driver's seat in my X3 while still being able to drive. You're probably into MDX territory with 3 seats.

ThePenIsMightier
03-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Does it not fit 3 Diono now? Those are as narrow as they get. I certainly believe we could get 3 (have 2 now) in an RX350.

danno
03-11-2019, 02:08 PM
He’s talking in rear facing configuration they are gigantic. I have three kids and my ram 1500 works fine, we bought a navigator just to have the ability to carry more than 5 people. A minivan works great

s2k_boi
03-11-2019, 02:26 PM
Does it not fit 3 Diono now? Those are as narrow as they get. I certainly believe we could get 3 (have 2 now) in an RX350.

Haven't tried in my C450. Tried to fit it in an A4 and it was probably a couple of inches too narrow. I think the GLC or X3 could fit but it will be very tight and just squeezing it. In addition, I don't think I would be able to use the UAS and have to use seat belts to secure the car seat.

Sentry
03-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Subaru BR-Z with a roof rack

npham
03-11-2019, 06:06 PM
GLC and C-Class interior dimensions are quite similar, so I don't think the GLC is going to be the right move unless you are less than 25mm from making it work.

C-Class Sedan
Headroom (rear) 1,039 mm
Legroom (rear) 894 mm
Shoulder room (rear) 1,398 mm

GLC
Headroom (rear) 1,005 mm
Legroom (rear) 947 mm
Shoulder room (rear) 1,436 mm

SkiBum5.0
03-12-2019, 10:24 AM
We've got 2 front facing Clek Foonf, and a rear facing seat in our 2nd row of an LX570. It's very tight. We are part way down the path of getting something with a pass thru second row (suburban yukon xl).

blitz
03-12-2019, 10:34 AM
2 Britax and 1 diono or 2 Diono and 1 Britax.

The Diono's sit low and the Britax sits high, so they can overhang each other a little.

s2k_boi
03-12-2019, 11:37 AM
2 Britax and 1 diono or 2 Diono and 1 Britax.

The Diono's sit low and the Britax sits high, so they can overhang each other a little.
blitz That combo fits in which car?
rage2 If I'm not mistaken, I think you had 3 car seats in a GLA?

ExtraSlow
03-12-2019, 11:42 AM
If you have to fit three car seats in your car with regularity, you have made some terrible life choices. I hope any younger dudes reading this don't follow in your footsteps.

s2k_boi
03-12-2019, 11:58 AM
If you have to fit three car seats in your car with regularity, you have made some terrible life choices. I hope any younger dudes reading this don't follow in your footsteps.

I don't see how that is a fair assessment or tip to anyone. Considering I have 2 kids and will be helping out my sister 3 days a week for drop off. Do you have any kids? Cause you do realize car seats laws are pretty strict (see below) and it's for the safety of the kids. Plus what does it matter? It's a personal choice on how kids people have. How is it's fair to judge one or tell others not to have kids and if we/they can financially afford kids, lifestyle (eating out, travelling, sports, etc), retirement, education for the kids and still have cash left over. Pretty bad judgment on your part when you don't know me or how others financial capacity as I know there are multiple people on this forum that has 2/3 kids or even more.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/alberta/Pages/alberta-child-safety-seat-guidelines.aspx

For children under 18 kg (40 lb) or under 6 years of age the law says:
an appropriate child safety seat must be used
the child safety seat must be correctly installed in the vehicle
the child must be properly secured into the seat

ThePenIsMightier
03-12-2019, 12:31 PM
I don't see how that is a fair assessment or tip to anyone. Considering I have 2 kids and will be helping out my sister 3 days a week for drop off. Do you have any kids? Cause you do realize car seats laws are pretty strict (see below) and it's for the safety of the kids. Plus what does it matter? It's a personal choice on how kids people have. How is it's fair to judge one or tell others not to have kids and if we/they can financially afford kids, lifestyle (eating out, travelling, sports, etc), retirement, education for the kids and still have cash left over. Pretty bad judgment on your part when you don't know me or how others financial capacity as I know there are multiple people on this forum that has 2/3 kids or even more.

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/alberta/Pages/alberta-child-safety-seat-guidelines.aspx

For children under 18 kg (40 lb) or under 6 years of age the law says:
an appropriate child safety seat must be used
the child safety seat must be correctly installed in the vehicle
the child must be properly secured into the seat

I assumed he was joking, although there's no evidence of that, other than its such an appalling, ridiculous thing to say. I don't believe he's known as a massive douche.
:dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-12-2019, 12:37 PM
I assumed he was joking, although there's no evidence of that, other than its such an appalling, ridiculous thing to say. I don't believe he's known as a massive douche.
:dunno: We may never know the truth.

ZeroGravity
03-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Before considering getting a new vehicle, I would look into narrower car seat first. This website list some combinations of car seats + car where it is possible to fit 3 across.

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3-across-car-seat-guide-html/

All facing the same direction would probably take up the most space. With three across installations, only the outboard seats can be installed using the UAS. The middle one will need to use the seatbelt.

arcticcat522
03-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Do you have any concern about your seating position with all the car seats installed? My wife has an A4 and it would be unbearable to have a rear facing seat behind me when driving. I'm a short legged 5'10. We are looking for something bigger when our second child arrives.

bjstare
03-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Just ensure the rear facing is behind the passenger/middle spots?

There's no way we could put our rear facing in our RDX behind me, but my wife's a shrimp so it goes behind her seat. By the time we need to put a second one in, we should be able to flip it around for front facing and put it behind me (unlikely we'll keep our first kid rear facing til she's 4).

Strider
03-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Just ensure the rear facing is behind the passenger/middle spots?

There's no way we could put our rear facing in our RDX behind me, but my wife's a shrimp so it goes behind her seat. By the time we need to put a second one in, we should be able to flip it around for front facing and put it behind me (unlikely we'll keep our first kid rear facing til she's 4).

Haven't tried it to be certain, but I don't think the Diono would fit rear facing in the middle spot without interfering with the driver's seat.
I've got a really petite 3 year old, she'll probably be rear facing until she's 5 :( I don't know OP's situation given that he mentioned either 1 or 2 rear facing, but I wouldn't let the car be the deciding factor.

bjstare
03-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Haven't tried it to be certain, but I don't think the Diono would fit rear facing in the middle spot without interfering with the driver's seat.
I've got a really petite 3 year old, she'll probably be rear facing until she's 5 :( I don't know OP's situation given that he mentioned either 1 or 2 rear facing, but I wouldn't let the car be the deciding factor.

Yeah, can't comment on other cars. I just know the RDX is puny in the backseat, and we tested the rear facing diono in the middle spot - it works in our car with no interference on the drivers seat.

Regardless, agree that the car shouldn't be the deciding factor.

blitz
03-12-2019, 03:35 PM

You should try it in yours, might save you having to buy a new vehicle.

Before considering getting a new vehicle, I would look into narrower car seat first. This website list some combinations of car seats + car where it is possible to fit 3 across.

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/3-across-car-seat-guide-html/

All facing the same direction would probably take up the most space. With three across installations, only the outboard seats can be installed using the UAS. The middle one will need to use the seatbelt.

Every time we see one of these threads, no one EVER tries to buy different carseats to make their existing vehicle work. Which leads me to believe it's just an excuse to get a new car.

rage2
03-12-2019, 03:36 PM
rage2 If I'm not mistaken, I think you had 3 car seats in a GLA?
Nope. one seat, one booster, with oldest sitting in between. Tight squeeze once older started bulking up.

I've got 2 out of boosters now, with 1 about to graduate to a booster w/back. It's almost over! :rofl:

edit - note that the GLA45 I had the optional AMG recarros, which gave an extra 1-2" of legroom. It would be a really tight fit with OEM seats.

s2k_boi
03-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Yeah, can't comment on other cars. I just know the RDX is puny in the backseat, and we tested the rear facing diono in the middle spot - it works in our car with no interference on the drivers seat.

Regardless, agree that the car shouldn't be the deciding factor.

The car won't be the deciding factor. I've already taken steps to find the most narrow car seats available. I know my kids will be 1 forward facing and 1 rear facing. My niece is undecided as she's kind of inbetween and won't know for a bit here.

- - - Updated - - -

You should try it in yours, might save you having to buy a new vehicle.

Every time we see one of these threads, no one EVER tries to buy different carseats to make their existing vehicle work. Which leads me to believe it's just an excuse to get a new car.

We tried an A4 to fit 3 car seats but it didn't work so that is why I haven't tried mine yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any concern about your seating position with all the car seats installed? My wife has an A4 and it would be unbearable to have a rear facing seat behind me when driving. I'm a short legged 5'10. We are looking for something bigger when our second child arrives.

Not an issue. Wife is short. So the rear facing will be behind her seat - the Diono does take quite a bit of room though and we got the angle adjuster for it. I currently have a bucket seat behind me as our oldest will convert to forward facing in a couple of months here. I did have to move it up an inch or so but it's not bad as I'm 5'11