PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically Speaking - BMW X7 vs Tesla Model X

KPHMPH
03-21-2019, 06:53 PM
You have a choice between these two SUVs.

You have to choose one, why do you choose it?

( side notes: fully loaded X7 vs P100D X )

https://edge.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/BMW-X7-xDrive50i-159-1280x720.jpg

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla-site/sx-redesign/img/socialcard/MX.jpg

killramos
03-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Suburban

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
GLsomething63 whichever also has 7 seats.

ExtraSlow
03-21-2019, 07:03 PM
For a hundred grand? This is less ugly and more capable.

killramos
03-21-2019, 07:27 PM
Essentially, don’t buy either of those vehicles.

KPHMPH
03-21-2019, 07:31 PM
You guys are the worst group of people I’ve spoken to today.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2019, 07:37 PM

killramos
03-21-2019, 07:52 PM
I like to think we are pretty great for steering you away from making a terrible purchasing decision.

The idea of using a Tesla X to seat 7 people is comical, even if you can get past that it’s he ugliest car on the road.

Honda Odyssey. Also a better option than either of those.

ExtraSlow
03-21-2019, 08:17 PM
That's the weakest insult I've heard today.

heavyD
03-21-2019, 08:30 PM
I don't like SUV's but I feel that BMW did a pretty good job with this one I think it's a good watch for anyone interested. Doug is good at showing off the small details. Looks like it has legits space and lots of nice features.

m1fNZSYXNaw

01RedDX
03-21-2019, 09:26 PM

rage2
03-21-2019, 10:03 PM
X is a crapshoot in terms of reliability. I believe VWEvo has been pretty lucky with his tho. I know a couple other X owners that struggle with nagging falcon door issues. On the 100D there’s another problem that everyone struggles with. They raised the ride height from the S, and the half shafts can’t handle the acceleration because of the higher angle. There’s no fix for it. More here: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/shudder-under-acceleration

Everyone loves the X regardless. Tesla’s are pretty fun to blast around in. Doesn’t get old.

ThePenIsMightier
03-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Lexus RX L has a third row, choice of 6 or 7 seat configurations, $70K out the door and IMO looks way better than either of these.

True, but if those other 2 clown wagons are $100k you're into the LX570 territory and that thing is a beauty. Ever since I bought a Lexus all it makes me want is a fancier Lexus!

J.M.
03-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Get a G63 instead.

KPHMPH
03-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Do you guys think this is my choice?

I drive a Superduty... that’s mine. :lol:

Price point for these. Demo X is $145,000. Brand new factory ordered is $146,000.

Lincon is out.
Mercedes is a play if the GLS upgrades it’s interior ( which might be 1 year away )
Lexus is a hard no.
Audi is nice but not nice enough for us.

We are in the market for a *luxury* SUV... the business is going to buy it.

We had the S-Class and loved it and want something similar - finally sold it ( Warranty just finished here recently )

Buster
03-21-2019, 11:46 PM
The Lincoln isn't really in the same class as the X7.

One is a body on frame "real" SUV. The X7 is just a large crossover on a car platform.

I'd take the X7. I like them, but I understand the complaints about the styling. I had a Mercedes GLS before. It was okay, but we got sick of the amount of time we spent with it in the shop. The BMW might be the same, who knows. It's certainly got more modern tech in it.

The "large crossver" class is pretty thin, actually. I categorize them as 3 row crossover with at least some usable cargo space behind the 3rd row. AFAIK you have: the Chevy Traverse, the VW Atlas, the GLS, the X7, and the upcoming Hyundai related triplets. I can't think of any others.

benyl
03-21-2019, 11:57 PM
how important is getting to the 3rd row? Are adults going to sit in the 3rd row?

ExtraSlow
03-22-2019, 07:05 AM
You haven't got much help because you haven't provided much information. So the business is buying it, but FOR WHAT? Are you shuttling clients around the city? Are you driving a single person around to field sites? Are you purchasing cash or leasing, which is popular for businesses?
Is it staying on pavement?

One helpful thing I can say is that the Tesla will be polarizing and will spark conversations that many businesses would prefer to avoid.

If my business needed a luxury SUV to take clients around, I'd still buy that Lincoln, because it's honestly going to be a more comfortable space than either of the choices you posted.

KPHMPH
03-22-2019, 07:06 AM
how important is getting to the 3rd row? Are adults going to sit in the 3rd row?

It will probably be used 6-12 times a year when we go for family dinners and such. Otherwise it’s nice having the larger SUV for storage.

You haven't got much help because you haven't provided much information. So the business is buying it, but FOR WHAT? Are you shuttling clients around the city? Are you driving a single person around to field sites? Are you purchasing cash or leasing, which is popular for businesses?
Is it staying on pavement?

One helpful thing I can say is that the Tesla will be polarizing and will spark conversations that many businesses would prefer to avoid.

The business is buying it because it’s a write off.

It’s nice to spend pre-taxed money on things that benifit us.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2019, 07:16 AM
So mostly, it's a car for you two and occasional family in 2nd and 3rd rows? That would have been helpful info.
I guess for me it'd come down to how they drive. The behind the wheel experience will be very different.

I don't trust Tesla, and a big car like that is awesome for road trips where an EV would make me nervous. Out of those two, BMW I guess.

spike98
03-22-2019, 07:39 AM
Lincon is out.

~

We are in the market for a *luxury* SUV... the business is going to buy it.

If you are looking for luxury, serious reconsider the new navigator. Its pretty damn luxurious. If i had the money i would have went with that over the yukon denali. The reality here is, if you are looking to seat 7 adults, you are not getting many of the ones mentioned here. You need a true SUV (body on frame or minivan haha) to get the size you are looking for. We drove everything save the tesla and nothing would work for us.

msommers
03-22-2019, 07:43 AM
To answer the question directly, of the two, X7.

Escalade ESV is another big vehicle. Of course the other obvious option here if space is a absolute requirement is x2 Porsche Panamera...

adam c
03-22-2019, 07:48 AM
If I had to choose between the 2 and it would be my only vehicle X7

prae
03-22-2019, 07:51 AM

hahaha. this thread gave me a good laugh this AM

- - - Updated - - -

Does the purchase price of this to the business count towards your investor visa? interesting.

KPHMPH
03-22-2019, 07:52 AM
To answer the question directly, of the two, X7.

Escalade ESV is another big vehicle. Of course the other obvious option here if space is a absolute requirement is x2 Porsche Panamera...

Had an Escalade when they redesigned it. Liked it but didn’t love it. Also the service side of things really rubbed me the wrong way. Being a GM product they treated you like a pleb when you brought it in for any work.

Again, I would like the lincon but my better half does not.

BMW gallery just got a X7 in yesterday - will go check it out today at 10.

rage2
03-22-2019, 07:52 AM
If luxury is what you're looking for, I'd skip the Model X. It's a minimalist high techy interior.

Another option is the new GLE which is almost as big as the outgoing GLS and now has 3rd row option. A little less legroom than the GLS 3rd row which is already tight as fuck to begin with. Honestly, the only way you'll shuttle adults comfortably in the 3rd row is a minivan TBH. The 3rd row is 100% designed for pre-teen kids.

I really like the new GLE and I hate SUVs. The new interior is beyond S-Class (until S-Class gets upgraded), and the rear seats being fully electronically adjusted is just the shit. If you're looking at S class amenities, you really should check out the GLE. Fully voice controlled MBUX, 3rd gen self driving tech, it's all the latest toys MB has to offer stuffed into it. The GLS is still another year away if you absolutely need the bigger size and should have all the same toys, while the GLE is available now.

KPHMPH
03-22-2019, 07:53 AM
hahaha. this thread gave me a good laugh this AM

- - - Updated - - -

Does the purchase price of this to the business count towards your investor visa? interesting.

Negative, putting this through the business is a good way to build credit.

For the visa to work you have to have a capital investment - aka no debt on the items you’re bringing down / straight cash.

rage2
03-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Electronic adjustable rear seats like the front seats. Was told that's a first in a SUV. Not sure if that's true or not. Can adjust front, back, tilt and headrest. Pulls forward for 3rd row access, and can flip down 40/20/40 for storage. Pretty cool.

killramos
03-22-2019, 08:00 AM
So mostly, it's a car for you two and occasional family in 2nd and 3rd rows? That would have been helpful info.

Very interesting info.

If you are actually going to transport people I still vote for full size SUV.

Sounds to me you are far more interested in what badge is on the front though. Because a Lincoln would definitely be equally luxurious, if not more so.

bjstare
03-22-2019, 08:07 AM
GLS63>GLE63>X7>Tesla

R-Audi
03-22-2019, 08:25 AM
Personally Id go look at the Lexus GX and LX...or if you are going to be in the US a Toyota LandCruiser.

KPHMPH
03-22-2019, 08:31 AM
GLS63>GLE63>X7>Tesla

This is the main reason why we won’t choose GLS63 right now

https://www.mbusa.com/content/dam/mb-nafta/us/myco/my19/gls/byo/options/2017-GLS-GLS63-AMG-SUV-056.jpg

Personally Id go look at the Lexus GX and LX...or if you are going to be in the US a Toyota LandCruiser.

Lexus IS far to Asian looking for my liking... plus it’s not luxurious enough in my books.

rage2
03-22-2019, 08:33 AM
This is the main reason why we won’t choose GLS63 right now
9 year old interior lol.

Yea, the GLS will be next year for base, and the year after for the 63. 2 year wait.

asp integra
03-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Porsche Cayenne turbo.

But if you have to pick one of the bimmer or tesla I would go tesla. That new grille on the x7 is absolutely hideous.

https://i.imgur.com/7Hg75id.jpg

Neil4Speed
03-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Porsche Cayenne turbo.

But if you have to pick one of the bimmer or tesla I would go tesla. That new grille on the x7 is absolutely hideous.

https://i.imgur.com/7Hg75id.jpg

These pictures actually made me laugh out loud.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Those gills are an improvement

C4S
03-22-2019, 10:35 AM
One looks weird and one looks bad ..

Um .. If I have to .. then pick the one looks weird!!

94boosted
03-22-2019, 01:23 PM
If strictly between the two I'd take the X7, because the Tesla is fuggly plus quality issues.

I checked the curb weight for both expecting the Model X to weigh slightly less than the moon and was surprised to see it's only ~100lbs heavier than the X7 :confused:

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2019, 01:34 PM
The model X is hideous and notoriously unreliable, but it's pretty funny watching it win drag races towing a boat haha.

andyg16
03-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Between the two X7 for sure.

P_D
03-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Im a little disappointed to see that the Volvo XC90, they never get the respect they deserve.

KPHMPH
03-22-2019, 07:16 PM
So the X7 is nice but not 100% luxury nice. There are still a lot of plastic buttons and knobs on it, aka the turn signal stock.

It’s nice on the inside and I like the lay out and tech. Fit and finish is up to par as well with lots of small little things that take awhile to notice.

Still on the fence.....

shakalaka
03-22-2019, 09:50 PM
The Tesla looks like garbage compared to the X5. That would be reason alone for me.

killramos
03-22-2019, 10:03 PM
It’s pretty hard for any Tesla to be in the running if you claim to care about fit and finish.

spike98
03-22-2019, 10:37 PM
It’s pretty hard for any Tesla to be in the running if you claim to care about fit and finish.

It's not about fit and finish. It's status bro.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2019, 06:40 AM
So the X7 is nice but not 100% luxury nice. There are still a lot of plastic buttons and knobs on it, aka the turn signal stock.

It’s nice on the inside and I like the lay out and tech. Fit and finish is up to par as well with lots of small little things that take awhile to notice.

Still on the fence.....

You don't care about luxury if you're considering the Tesla, you care about some kind of social "image". Either that or you don't know what you really want.

KPHMPH
03-23-2019, 07:15 AM
You don't care about luxury if you're considering the Tesla, you care about some kind of social "image". Either that or you don't know what you really want.

Tesla is in the running because they’re $50,000 off for the model I want. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a choice right now.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Fair enough. The x interior is nice looking I suppose but it's in no way "100% luxury", especially given the criteria of what you consider negatives in the BMW in my opinion. But that's all subjective to the person.

Straight answer between the 2 is BMW.

msommers
03-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Bentley or bust it sounds like.

Darkane
03-23-2019, 08:39 AM
I’ve got a feeling they don’t want a Lincoln because they think it’s for old people. This is a Total image buy.

The navigator is the clear winner between the two you want.

The X won’t fit anyone in the third row, the sloping roof line is terrible. It’s not the people mover you think it is. Go sit in one.

Just go buy the BMW.

C4S
03-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Well, the new Cayenne Turbo Coupe! :love::love:

ExtraSlow
03-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Tesla is in the running because they’re $50,000 off for the model I want. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a choice right now.

They are $50k off of a price that is an awful value and still at $100k they are an awful value.

You'd better get a lot of warm feelings from that purchase. That's the only way it makes sense.

jaylo
03-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Im a little disappointed to see that the Volvo XC90, they never get the respect they deserve.

If you are cool with a $90K 4 cylinder turbo/ supercharger, I don't see why not.

- - - Updated - - -

True, but if those other 2 clown wagons are $100k you're into the LX570 territory and that thing is a beauty. Ever since I bought a Lexus all it makes me want is a fancier Lexus!

LX is a $120K dinosaur technology Land Cruiser, no one would buy that. That's why you don't see much of them on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Still on the fence.....

It's no Bentley...

jaylo
03-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Essentially, don’t buy either of those vehicles.

Own them within factory warranty...

ThePenIsMightier
03-23-2019, 04:19 PM
LX is a $120K dinosaur technology Land Cruiser, no one would buy that. That's why you don't see much of them on the road...
It's a Toyota Sequoia. Nice and current and still made.
You're making them sounds like an 80's diesel that's burning a quart of oil per week.

KPHMPH
03-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Couple of things.

It’s not a Bentley but I would expect metal buttons ( Like our old S-Class ) instead of plastic ones in the X7

I’m looking at buying a luxury SUV, of course there is one part of it being an imagine buy. I drive a ratty Jeep for my DD and my Super Duty for when I need work. The SUV is purely for going out and long road trips.

The one bonus of the X is that it is kind of future tech. I’ve always wanted battery power because all our routes we go on would either be along a super charger or only take the charge from home.

Don’t like Porsche.
Lincon just doesn’t cut it.
Lexus isn’t anywhere near our radar.
Volvo is nice but as the previous person mentioned - 90k 4 cylinder.

SKR
03-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Lincon

lincon

Lincon

I can't take this anymore. Either spell it right or I'm putting you on ignore.

Darkane
03-23-2019, 05:03 PM
:clap:

killramos
03-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Should get a Cullinan. What’s a couple of bucks if the whole point is to save on your taxes amirit?

ExtraSlow
03-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Or say WHAT doesn't cut it about Lincoln

KPHMPH
03-23-2019, 05:06 PM
I can't take this anymore. Either spell it right or I'm putting you on ignore.

Lincoln

rage2
03-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Couple of things.

It’s not a Bentley but I would expect metal buttons ( Like our old S-Class ) instead of plastic ones in the X7

I’m looking at buying a luxury SUV, of course there is one part of it being an imagine buy. I drive a ratty Jeep for my DD and my Super Duty for when I need work. The SUV is purely for going out and long road trips.

The one bonus of the X is that it is kind of future tech. I’ve always wanted battery power because all our routes we go on would either be along a super charger or only take the charge from home.

Don’t like Porsche.
Lincon just doesn’t cut it.
Lexus isn’t anywhere near our radar.
Volvo is nice but as the previous person mentioned - 90k 4 cylinder.
S Class uses plastic buttons too. They just paint and texture it better to look and feel like metal buttons.

Lexus genuinely uses some metal and ceramic buttons but have fun on a sunny day.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2019, 05:18 PM
So seems like you really want the X. So get the X. If none of the downsides listed here have dissuaded you, then you have your mind made up.

killramos
03-23-2019, 05:21 PM
So seems like you really want the X. So get the X. If none of the downsides listed here have dissuaded you, then you have your mind made up.

+1

Just don’t ask for advice if you don’t want it

dirtsniffer
03-23-2019, 05:31 PM
It's a Toyota Sequoia. Nice and current and still made.
You're making them sounds like an 80's diesel that's burning a quart of oil per week.

Of anything burns a quart a week it's the bmw

Sugarphreak
03-23-2019, 05:48 PM

npham
03-23-2019, 08:10 PM
Feels like that Mar thread all over again. We all know he's going to get the X after 95%+ said to get the X7.

KPHMPH
03-23-2019, 11:39 PM
Honestly. With how everything’s been going we’re most likely going to put this off and stick to driving the beater.

Hopefully GLS comes out with their upgraded interior here soon and I will put that up to the test.

Buster
03-24-2019, 01:18 AM
Honestly. With how everything’s been going we’re most likely going to put this off and stick to driving the beater.

Hopefully GLS comes out with their upgraded interior here soon and I will put that up to the test.

That's what I'm waiting for.

But honestly, I'm pulling for the new Genesis large SUV to win me over.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2019, 09:43 AM
Kia stinger wagon is my dream car.

SkiBum5.0
03-24-2019, 07:23 PM
I would never buy that first run X7 (or any other first run German car). Just for consideration, you can’t import the SUV into the US with a lien on it. Unless there is a different exemption for business vehicles. Every state is different on how hard they push for local plates.