PDA

View Full Version : Pet CBD Oil

cidley69
03-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Not sure where to post this......

Looking for CBD oil for my 12 year old lab, who has bad hips and is in pain. Vet gave me a few options to treat, one of them was hemp based CBD oil (hemp based has least THC content, apparently). She subscribed 15mg/day. But vets don't sell CBD oil.

At 500mg CDB strength, that equals 1ml of the concentrated oil per day. I'll be going through a 30ml/1oz bottle per month. Like to find the most cost effective option for buying this.

Any suggestions? Or point me to where to get more info?

nzwasp
03-21-2019, 09:10 PM
This place in calgary has it listed on their website: https://www.pawsitivelynatural.ca/ Looks like they have a store in mission as well.

dirtsniffer
03-21-2019, 09:11 PM
I asked a friend for you. He recommended you go to an LP and get a card for yourself and then just give it to your dog.

"The 40ml bottle I buy is $90.00 but he would have to get a prescription and buy through an LP. 40ml bottle is 20mg/ml strength."
"My other LP is a 25mg/ml strength and 50 ml bottle. Costs $100.00."

spike98
03-21-2019, 09:32 PM
This is what I give my pup for his anxiety. Works amazingly.

https://www.cbdpet.ca/

cidley69
03-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys, will look into those suggestions.

The doc made a point of saying to get the hemp extracted oil rather than cannabis extract. I wonder if there is a difference?

spike98
03-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys, will look into those suggestions.

The doc made a point of saying to get the hemp extracted oil rather than cannabis extract. I wonder if there is a difference?

Ones technically illegal and the other is not (hemp extract). However the hemp extract has no CBD which defeats the purpose.

IF you do want just the hemp extract, there is MediPaws. Some friends of our swear by it.

Darkane
03-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Prescribed to thread for more info.

Tik-Tok
03-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Ones technically illegal and the other is not (hemp extract).

It's not illegal, you just need a prescription.

sabad66
03-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Ones technically illegal and the other is not (hemp extract). However the hemp extract has no CBD which defeats the purpose.

IF you do want just the hemp extract, there is MediPaws. Some friends of our swear by it.

hemp extract does have CBD. The difference is that there would just be no THC from hemp whereas CBD oil from female cannabis would have trace amounts of THC.

Is CBD oil from female cannabis still prescription only? you can't buy it from rec shops?

depending on how big your dog is, the trace amounts of THC may affect them so that's why most pet CBD oil is from hemp.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Small. Amounts of THC might be a big benefit.

Disoblige
03-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Honestly, what is the difference between Pet CBD vs. Human?
If nothing, just buy the correct percentage you want and dose accordingly.

sabad66
03-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Honestly, what is the difference between Pet CBD vs. Human?
If nothing, just buy the correct percentage you want and dose accordingly.

It’s the source plant (hemp or female Cannabis) it comes from which affects whether or not it has thc along with it.

Disoblige
03-22-2019, 11:56 AM
It’s the source plant (hemp or female Cannabis) it comes from which affects whether or not it has thc along with it.
My point is that if there is branded CBD for humans with THC content under 0.3% for example, why can't you use it for pets? Why do you have to purposely use a pet branded version?
I think you can with no ill effects.

Tik-Tok
03-22-2019, 12:11 PM
Your dog will get fat with munchies.

hurrdurr
03-22-2019, 12:31 PM
Your dog will get fat with munchies.

:rofl: true story

sabad66
03-22-2019, 12:47 PM
My point is that if there is branded CBD for humans with THC content under 0.3% for example, why can't you use it for pets? Why do you have to purposely use a pet branded version?
I think you can with no ill effects.

ah i see.

you could certainly use "human" cbd oil on your pets if you're fine with the low thc levels. some people just prefer 0.0% thc oil for their pets which is what all the pet version i've seen are.

for reference, aurora's CBD drops are 1.4 mg/ml THC and 26 mg/ml CBD. % wise that would be 5.1% thc. every pet is different but some dogs may not be able to handle that much

cidley69
03-22-2019, 02:38 PM
I'd like one that is 0.3%THC or less.

What's with the "full spectrum" CBD?

You'd think making CDB oil from hemp, that has very low % CBD in it, would take a LOT of hemp and a big process, especially cold pressed, to come up with the same bottle of CBD oil that you can get from a high CBD strain cannabis plant, extracted with solvents. The hemp method sounds way inefficient compared to cannabis method. That should make the hemp CBD cost much more than cannabis version. But that's not the case.

Every source only sells 1 size bottle, 30ml. the strength ranges from 300mg to 1200mg CBD (is that per ml?).I'm finding cost around $75/30ml for 500mg strength.

schurchill39
03-27-2019, 10:16 PM
We have CBD oil for my dog. I was told by our vet that it needs to be hemp based as THC is toxic for dogs. She strongly recommended against using any weed derived CBD oil because even trace amounts of THC could be bad news bears. She listed a bunch of symptoms which from what I gathered were similar to if they ate chocolate or onions. It could be as minor as just getting the shits but at a high enough (for dogs) dose it cod be fatal. That was enough for me to just heed her warning and not even mess around with the weed derived stuff.

We give her Apawthecary Pet's oral drops 120 mg from hemp oil. It's made in Vancouver and if you google Apawthecary you should get their website. We buy ours from Vets To Go and order right off their website but I've seen it a bunch of places. We go to Dr. Dekens for second opinions
And I'm pretty sure he carries either the Apawthecary or another brand. I've never had a hard time finding it at any of the Vets we've visited.

My only other piece of advice is to follow your Vets recommended method for introducing it to your pup and how to ramp up to the full dose.