PDA

View Full Version : Used engines-anywhere reliable?

bignerd
03-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Looking for a K24A. Not opposed to JDM due to the low mileage but might be attempting self swap so something from North America might be better?

Also any tips on what to look for when buying a used engine? Never had to do this before.

tonytiger55
03-23-2019, 10:08 PM
I have nothing to add. But I am interested in what your putting it into and how it goes.

dj_rice
03-23-2019, 10:25 PM
Just contact Shaoib at JDMSource and let him source you a good quality engine

bignerd
03-23-2019, 10:54 PM
I have nothing to add. But I am interested in what your putting it into and how it goes.

Not that terribly exciting.... a 2008 Honda Element. Burnt a valve, unfortunately my car was fairly low mileage and most local engines are actually higher mileage than mine was. JDM engines are the only ones I have seen with lower kms. Apparently an Acura TSX engine can be swapped in too which would boost the power a little but not sure how complicated I want to get with this.

Misterman
03-25-2019, 06:18 AM
Looking for a K24A. Not opposed to JDM due to the low mileage but might be attempting self swap so something from North America might be better?

Also any tips on what to look for when buying a used engine? Never had to do this before.

I have a 2003 Accord, same engine. Picked it up with a blown engine for cheap. I just went to car-part.com and found a wrecker with an engine. It had 130,000km on it, they had pressure test numbers for it that looked good. Swapped that engine in and have put 50,000km on it with zero issue.

Compression test numbers are the main thing you can check for. Other than that, if you're seeing it for yourself in person, you could pull the dipstick if it still has oil and see what kind of condition the oil is in.

Not that terribly exciting.... a 2008 Honda Element. Burnt a valve, unfortunately my car was fairly low mileage and most local engines are actually higher mileage than mine was. JDM engines are the only ones I have seen with lower kms. Apparently an Acura TSX engine can be swapped in too which would boost the power a little but not sure how complicated I want to get with this.

That's definitely not a straight swap, but can surely be done. Would require Hondata.

AndyL
04-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Curious too, quote for repairs to mine are worth more than a swap, 3SGE but the 94-98 jdm 3SGTE is a drop in I see as long as it comes with harness, ECU and turbo/manifold.... So...

ShermanEF9
04-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Curious too, quote for repairs to mine are worth more than a swap, 3SGE but the 94-98 jdm 3SGTE is a drop in I see as long as it comes with harness, ECU and turbo/manifold.... So...

what generation of 3s do you have, and curious, if you're going to swap it, i may steal some bits from the old engine. assuming you swap of course :P

Sentry
04-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Black Gold in Nisku.

Or Forest Lawn Auto.

Or check car-part.com and see what's out there.

AndyL
04-02-2019, 07:02 PM
what generation of 3s do you have, and curious, if you're going to swap it, i may steal some bits from the old engine. assuming you swap of course :P

Mines a 97 but there's dozens at pyp so...