PDA

View Full Version : Ford cannot fix engine after repeated attempts. Is there any recourse?

B.Spilner
03-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Posting for a friend going through a weird situation, heres the story.

2014 ford f150 130,000kms starts acting up and has loss of power.

He takes it into ford dealership, dealership phones back says $3700 for cam phasers and a couple other bigger parts. He gives them the go ahead to fix.

Picks truck up, seems to run better. Week later same thing. Brings it back in and apperantly one of the cam phasers is acting up again, all good cause it under warranty.

Week and a half later brings us to today, ford calls and now a compression test shows that the engine is shot. Wtf.

This sounds off to me like how did these professionals now know this the first time it was in.

Cost of engine replacement is 12k, and they will subtract the $3700 from previous repair, off the total amount bringing it to just under 9k.

Got a quote from another smaller auto shop for $6k engine and labour.

So either way hes fucked. And out the previous 4k of he takes it off the lot.

Is there any recourse? Or is this how she goes. Could this not have been diagnosed in the first place?

ShermanEF9
03-26-2019, 04:48 PM
what engine?

Skrilla
03-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Guessing 5.0, never heard of that in the ecoboost. Sounds like they either missed the Diag, or fucked it up. Don't know if contacting Ford would help, but worth a quick phone call. Dealer probably wont back down

B.Spilner
03-26-2019, 05:38 PM
what engine?

3.5L turbo

- - - Updated - - -

Guessing 5.0, never heard of that in the ecoboost. Sounds like they either missed the Diag, or fucked it up. Don't know if contacting Ford would help, but worth a quick phone call. Dealer probably wont back down

This is the vibe I'm getting. I just dont think it's fair hes out 4k for nothing? All was fine now the engine is gone?

ShermanEF9
03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
could be the timing is out now?

dirtsniffer
03-26-2019, 09:55 PM
I'm sure they did this but apparently oil pressure is important for the cam phaser phase change. So if his oil pump is acting up it could be causing the issues.

If it is usually a warm or cold issue it could be due to the viscosity change in the oil. Also if the oil channels in the block are fouled it could be starving the phasers.

Nvm.. that's all for the 5.4 triton

Misterman
03-27-2019, 06:31 AM
I would consider getting a second opinion. Who is to say if they even did a compression test correctly? If the cam phasers were acting up and the valves weren't seating correctly then you'll definitely fail a compression test.

revelations
03-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Nope - I know some who went through something similar (expensive dealer repairs that were moot in the end) and just ended up selling the thing.

Never ever use dealers for mechanical work out of warranty - unless is something electronic (ECU flash) or recall,. They just dont give a fuck. This has been demonstrated here time and time again.

Skrilla
03-27-2019, 09:18 AM
3.5L turbo

- - - Updated - - -

This is the vibe I'm getting. I just dont think it's fair hes out 4k for nothing? All was fine now the engine is gone?

Wow, can't say I have heard of this on the 3.5. Crazy, is a 2014 still a Gen1 Ecoboost, or did they change that year? Cant remember if it was 2014 or 15. Either way, this sounds like it is going to be a headache.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Wow, can't say I have heard of this on the 3.5. Crazy, is a 2014 still a Gen1 Ecoboost, or did they change that year? Cant remember if it was 2014 or 15. Either way, this sounds like it is going to be a headache.

I have heard and seen this first hand a couple times. I think another member here had to do the chain and phasers on his Gen 1 as well. Last one I saw with issues had a shade under 130k km.

benyl
03-27-2019, 09:55 AM

Gen I. Gen II didn't show up until 2017.

B.Spilner
03-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. Looks like the stealership will win again.

Hes having it towed out and to the shop that will do it for $6k. Weve ran all the scenarios and fixing it seems to be the best outcome.

ShermanEF9
03-27-2019, 05:06 PM
I have heard and seen this first hand a couple times. I think another member here had to do the chain and phasers on his Gen 1 as well. Last one I saw with issues had a shade under 130k km.

It was pretty common for a while. Mine was done at around 70k on my old truck.

CLiVE
03-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Same. Mine was done at 90k on my old truck

bignerd
03-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Timing chain, phasers and turbos are all well known issues on the ecoboost, and very very expensive ones too boot. There are so many issues with the timing chains rumor is there will be a recall but hasn't happened yet.

Misterman
03-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Timing chain, phasers and turbos are all well known issues on the ecoboost, and very very expensive ones too boot. There are so many issues with the timing chains rumor is there will be a recall but hasn't happened yet.

Timing chains seem to be a problem with a lot of Ford built engines. Range Rover ran the Ford V8 for awhile and it was nothing but headaches. All the more reason that friends don't let friends buy Fords.

revelations
03-29-2019, 11:50 AM
4k at dealer plus 6k private puts you at 10k - the dealer was quoting you 9k

I might have knocked off 1k from pricing - or some other incentive perhaps like lifetime service - and (in this case) stayed with the dealer.

My earlier piece was regarding the initial visit.

B.Spilner
03-29-2019, 09:05 PM
Hes getting it for 5k installed through a buddy's shop. He tried talking with service to see if they would budge. Nope.

revelations
03-30-2019, 03:50 PM
The question is, assuming your friend will keep the truck for a while, how to prevent this from happening again? Does the new/rebuilt engine have the mods in place already?

B.Spilner
03-30-2019, 08:14 PM
I think hes done with "no warranty" vehicles and hes already shopping around. So I'm going to assume itll be sold shortly after he gets it back.

They're buying a f150 from the auction with 100-130,000kms. Could take up to a month to find.

M.alex
04-01-2019, 06:37 PM
I was watching a youtube video a while back on the cam phasers so I'm totally an expert on this (sic) but apparently you can't just change them and be done with it - something about clogged oil passages and so you fix the problem but then it will almost immediately return.

ShermanEF9
04-01-2019, 11:28 PM
that the car wizard guy or whatever who says to just throw out an engine with phaser issues? he's an idiot.

revelations
04-01-2019, 11:51 PM
I think hes done with "no warranty" vehicles and hes already shopping around. So I'm going to assume itll be sold shortly after he gets it back.

They're buying a f150 from the auction with 100-130,000kms. Could take up to a month to find.

Well, even with warranty in this case - it would have been a huge headache still (no vehicle for months). CPO vehicles can also come with an extended warranty. I know a fellow who got warranty on his 2006 F350 - and it ended up requiring 15-20k in engine work as the powerstroke engines for those years was a joke. He ended up selling it as it was in the shop more than on the road.

What your friend needs is to buy the RIGHT new/used vehicle - not just one with a warranty. Ask Ford how well their powershift tranny works .... LOL

Misterman
04-02-2019, 07:28 AM
that the car wizard guy or whatever who says to just throw out an engine with phaser issues? he's an idiot.

Yeah no kidding. The real answer is if it's a Ford, just light it on fire. Cam phaser issues are irrelevant.

corsvette
04-02-2019, 10:14 AM
The phaser/low compression/knocking/piston slap are common on the Coyote 5.0 as well. Glad I stuck with the ole reliable 5.4!

Misterman
04-02-2019, 10:25 AM
The phaser/low compression/knocking/piston slap are common on the Coyote 5.0 as well. Glad I stuck with the ole reliable 5.4!

The 5.4 is known for timing chain/guide issues. Should be fine as long you do the guides and adjusters as preventative maintenance.

M.alex
04-02-2019, 03:41 PM

that's the one!

and that is the entirety of my knowledge on the issue

ShermanEF9
04-02-2019, 04:45 PM
fordtechmakuloco on youtube is the man when it comes to fords and their quirks.

Maxx Mazda
04-02-2019, 07:54 PM

This. Guy is a champ, and he explains things from the point of view of a Ford technician who actually works on and owns those vehicles affected.

revelations
04-03-2019, 10:11 AM

These types of guys (who know what years of make/models to avoid) are absolute gold.