PDA

View Full Version : Purchase used car in Europe, drive it to Port & then Import to Canada | Anyone?

cam_wmh
03-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Fellas

Any of you ever purchased a used car in Europe, then drove it to port - say Rotterdamn, and then imported it to Canada?

There's a car I really want over there, and I think it'd be awesome to acquire the appropriate permits/insurance, so I can drive it in Europe, and to Holland to ship it home for importing.

A790
03-28-2019, 03:32 PM
1) Make sure it is importable per the TSA if it is newer than 15 years old
2) If older than 15 years, all good
3) Will need an OOC and OOP inspection
4) May need DRL's installed if it doesn't have it
5) Have fun

Skrilla
03-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Have nothing to offer on this, but I am really curious what it is haha

buh_buh
03-28-2019, 05:13 PM
European delivery. It's a thing.

This is if we're talking about a new purchase.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Fellas

Any of you ever purchased a used car in Europe? .

European delivery. It's a thing.
This is if we're talking about a new purchase.
I don't think he's talking about brand new for some reason.

revelations
03-28-2019, 05:21 PM
I'd love a 3 door Fiesta RS here .... but prob extra 10k to do.... once all is said and done.

cam_wmh
03-29-2019, 07:48 AM
1) Make sure it is importable per the TSA if it is newer than 15 years old
2) If older than 15 years, all good
3) Will need an OOC and OOP inspection
4) May need DRL's installed if it doesn't have it
5) Have fun

Yeah I’ve bought, drove home and imported a car from the USA before, so familiar with the all those.
This car will be older than 15 years.

Have nothing to offer on this, but I am really curious what it is haha
It’s German.

Tik-Tok
03-29-2019, 07:54 AM
RS6 wagon?

bjstare
03-29-2019, 08:06 AM
It’s German.

Haha why so cryptic? What car is it?

Skrilla
03-29-2019, 08:48 AM
It’s German.

RS6 Avant :confused:

cam_wmh
03-29-2019, 09:07 AM
Haha why so cryptic? What car is it?
Because it’s just a thought until it’s bought. I’ll share when I got it. I’d love to say, 993TT, but sadly my toy won’t be 6 digits.

So my challenges right now are;
* An in-transit permit. http://europakonsument.at/sites/europakonsument.at/files/ECC_Transit%20Plates_EN.pdf
Working with a friend to translate from the home countries vehicle registrar.

* Insurance. While driving in Europe, and while in sea-freight. Would appreciate/invite Masked_Bandit posting. :)

tonytiger55
03-29-2019, 09:08 AM
I actually looked at doing this when I immigrated. I just had no money.

mr2mike
03-29-2019, 10:37 AM
Masked_Bandit probably doesn't know European licensing and insurance rules.

I'd assume you need to get temp insurance in each country you go to or just a transit temp registration.
I think you're adding a lot of complexity to this. Purchase and arrange ground shipping to a export port and then port to Canada. That will be tough enough.

BavarianBeast
03-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Rs2?:d

e31
03-29-2019, 05:50 PM
I'd also be interested to hear anyone else's story of private-sale & shipping.

As mentioned Euro delivery isn't much of a story as almost everything is pre-scripted: Flight across, drop off at generic dealer looking place, generic tour (cool factory stuff verboten). Drop car back off again, magic, car appears in Calgary.

It sounds like your plan is to buy in Netherlands, drive about Europe, arrange transport via RoRo ship; correct? I'm not familiar with Netherlands auto export regs, but for example in Germany, once your car is registered in your name (for export) you get a special red plate and have 12 days to arrange for exit. If you need longer than 12 days the paperwork, insurance & hassle grows.

The main shipping carriers don't like to deal with individual end customers, so you'll likely have to arrange quotes thru a freight forwarder/intermediary. In this case you'll be competing with the major manufacturers for space on the carrier ship. Some considerations can be maneuvered to suit your advantage, ex Volkswagen's space allotment going unused due to some kind of scandal. In your case Wallenius RoRo shipping has a regularly scheduled port in Zeebrugge with Halifax being the destination. You could also ship via container, but it doesn't sound like the value would be high enough to justify.

I think the biggest problems are experienced once the vehicle arrives here in Canada. Taxes, Cleaning surcharges, typical bureaucratic hustle. Germany is a country built on auto export, and it shows.

Shoot me a PM if you don't want to share too much publicly.

rage2
03-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Some of you make it sound so difficult. Really, google up roll on roll off rotterdam halifax and you’ll find a bunch of shipping companies that does just this. You’d be surprised how many people ship their cars back and forth for long stays. bart does this for his cars. The shipper handles everything up to customs. Pay shipping, insurance, book. Good to go.

Once you’re in Canada, it’s no different from importing a 15 y/o car from the US. Hit the customs office, pay your taxes, port fees, customs fees, drive away.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-30-2019, 09:47 AM
Some of you make it sound so difficult. Really, google up roll on roll off rotterdam halifax and you’ll find a bunch of shipping companies that does just this. You’d be surprised how many people ship their cars back and forth for long stays. bart does this for his cars. The shipper handles everything up to customs. Pay shipping, insurance, book. Good to go.

Once you’re in Canada, it’s no different from importing a 15 y/o car from the US. Hit the customs office, pay your taxes, port fees, customs fees, drive away.

Good to know. I am considering shipping my car to Europe for a summer to drive around in a couple years and have been looking into how annoying it might be to get it over there.